Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
M
According to Dr Harley, whenever there is a conflict, what we do to try to resolve that conflict is even more important than finding a resolution to the conflict. He states that our first priority should always be to preserve our love for each other and finding a way to resolve the conflict is much less important.

Any time we attempt to compromise as a way to end a conflict we damage our love for each other. If the negotiations over the conflict are nothing more than one or the other of us trying to prove our own POV, then in the end, one of us will end up feeling resentment over the fact that one of us has gained at the other's expense.

He also has said that he has met couples who seem to be in constant conflict and have one problem after another but because they maintain their love for each other their marriage is a long and happy one, marked by romantic love for each other. Other couples he has met are relatively free of conflict and yet end up with an unhappy marriage and sometimes divorce and it is because the way the conflicts are resolved destroys their love for each other.

I think the car analogies fall apart pretty quickly because when you buy a car, you don't promise to care for that car for life and when it has outlived its usefulness for the purpose it was purchased for or whenever your priorities and requirements change, then the car no longer serves a useful purpose and can simply be replaced.

Not so a marriage. We can't simply decide another, newer or more robust model is now something that better meets our needs and change marriages simply because it isn't like it was when new. But we can each adapt to meet the changing needs of our spouse so that the way we felt when things were all new to us can be sustained over time.

A car can be modified, by force if necessary, but if our spouse refuses to meet our needs, we are either stuck or must abandon the relationship if getting our needs met is necessary to our way of life. Motivation for a fender that rubs a tire might be to use a hammer to bend it or a torch to remove part of it or to take it to a body shop to have the fender replaced. The trick to getting our spouse to modify him or herself in order for the marriage to remain fit for use has to come from within our spouse.

There are things we can do to help a reluctant spouse arrive at a point of willingness to change, but seldom are we willing to actually do those things. We tend to use our instinctive tools to try to make the modifications we expect (AOs, DJs, SDs,). Or we sometimes do the equivalent of letting the car sit in the drive way and finding another form of transportation, or in some cases, such as in an affair, we simply borrow the neighbor's car to go for a ride.

A car that needs repair and a marriage that is no longer satisfying are similar in this. We can either try to fix it, get rid of it and find a replacement that meets our current needs or let it sit in the driveway and complain about how it doesn't work for us anymore. Neither car nor marriage can be fixed by the third.

Conflict resolution over anything must hang from one thing. No matter what you do to fix it, don't hurt each other in the process.

Mark

P
OP Offline
P
Conflict resolution over anything must hang from one thing. No matter what you do to fix it, don't hurt each other in the process.

T-da !!!
hurray

R
R
Each spouse making Love Bank deposits is only half the equation. Both parties have to first change their mindset to action, putting on a positive attitude of continuing to work on conflicts, and beyond just meeting emotional needs, acting like you love each other, rather than waiting for your Love Bank balance to make you feel like loving. Meet the feelings half way.

Me: 61
Dear Wife: 58
Married: 35 years
V
V
Originally Posted by Mark1952
He states that our first priority should always be to preserve our love for each other and finding a way to resolve the conflict is much less important.

Early in our marriage I discovered I HATED fighting with my husband. Not because we yelled, or got angry, but because I was alone. I was standing on my side of the line, and him on his. We went from lovers to enemies each trying to get our way, stomping on our love for each other as we did.

I started using a phrase when we disagreed. "I want us to be on the same side." That's how we started to figure out POJA (way before we found MB). We weren't very good at it b/c we had no clue what we were doing. But we were able to solve problems and disagreements TOGETHER. When we'd disagree we'd try to find a solution together instead of trying to get it one person's 'way'.

With POJA it is so much easier. We have conflict, disagreements, choices to make, but we're on the same team. DH and I working TOGETHER to solve a problem. I've found I become less concerned with being 'right' as with making the choice that is best for our family. I've become more humble, more willing to accept I may not be right (only to DH though smile ). My heart is softened to my husband.

Conflict resolution has become a chance to CREATE romantic love, because instead of being on opposite sides of a line, we're standing together, hand in hand, overcoming the conflict that comes at us.

I love that.

I think the reason people may have trouble with 'Step 1'

The First Step in building romantic love is to make a commitment to do just that.

Is because we're taught that if we pick the right spouse, if we're soulmates, if we're meant to be, then romantic love will JUST HAPPEN. It will be effortless. Conflicts will just melt away because your love is so strong. It isn't like that. You still have to have the right tools.

People that believe that the pieces will just magically fall into place and it will all just work because it was 'meant' to are more willing to throw it away if it doesn't work. Because, obviously, they met the wrong person. They got to go find the right one. They don't realize it's about BEING the right person. It's about MAKING that commitment to build Romantic love.

DH and I early in our marriage, we had the romantic love, and we had an idea of how to resolve conflict, but it was rough, we were shooting in the dark. When we figured it out, when we built the right habits it DID become effortless. It does Just Happen now.

And for some - they are born with those tools, they get it right from the very beginning. Somehow they know instinctively what to do and they have amazing love stories. We think that we just have to find the right person to have what they have. We don't, we just have to do what they do - and that is what MB teaches.

Me & DH: 28
Married 8/20/05
1DD, 9 mo.
Just Lookin' and Learnin'
HIYA!
M
M
Originally Posted by holdingontoit
[problem with this analogy is that it discounts differences between what is broken..

No it doesn't at all. Each person defines what constitutes a lemon. What is broken in this instance is the MARRIAGE. The marriage is so broken that one person is unhappy and wants out. I wasn't talking about folks who continually lower the bar and define DOWN their standards until they have no standards. Each person has different standards, of course, to define what makes them happy.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
OP Offline
P

People that believe that the pieces will just magically fall into place and it will all just work because it was 'meant' to are more willing to throw it away if it doesn't work. Because, obviously, they met the wrong person. They got to go find the right one. They don't realize it's about BEING the right person. It's about MAKING that commitment to build Romantic love.

EGG ZAK LEE

R
R
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by rprynne
[I've read the "When to call it quits." It's a perfectly fine strategy, but it's not a solution to what I described. It's akin to saying "I fixed my broken car by choosing not to drive it." The "transportation" problem might be solved, but that car is still not running.

Some folks ADMIT when their car is a lemon and accept that it can't be fixed. They get rid of the car. Or they hang onto the car
'hoping" someday it will magically change on its own. That is not a realistic solution.

In other words, when your solution doesn't work, doesn't it make sense to find another solution?

Accepting reality and making appropriate changes is very much a viable solution.

That's great. Just not seeing where I challenged accepting reality in what I posted.

Me 43 BH
MT 43 WW
Married 20 years, No Kids, 2 Difficult Cats
D-day July, 2005
4.5 False Recoveries
Me - recovered
The M - recovered
M
M
bump

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

R
R
I just read this article again. I had read it last week and made notes of the steps and comments. It really is about the best summary article of the MB program.

Reaching back to some of the early comments about the difficulty of the attitude turnaround necessary to Step One, I thought of other problems at that stage. It's bad enough when one spouse refuses to act loving, but even more difficult is when one spouse refuses to receive love - is passive or rejecting of affection, hugs, kisses, compliments, and will not participate in pleasant conversation or UA time.

I have not seen that addressed, but surely some of the members here have seen or experienced it. Is that degree of estrangement just to far gone to overcome?

M
M
Originally Posted by Retread
I It's bad enough when one spouse refuses to act loving, but even more difficult is when one spouse refuses to receive love - is passive or rejecting of affection, hugs, kisses, compliments, and will not participate in pleasant conversation or UA time.

This is not a problem when a spouse is in love, though, and that is what the plan attempts to resolve. When a spouse refuses to engage it is because they have fallen out of love.

And if a spouse refuses to meet the needs of the other spouse, the solution is outlined in "When to call it Quits" over on the newsletter forum.

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by Retread
I just read this article again. I had read it last week and made notes of the steps and comments. It really is about the best summary article of the MB program.

I agree absolutely. I was so glad to see it posted! I had completely forgotten this article.

Exposure 101

W
W
I'm not sure where to add this little tidbit, here is as good a place as any.

A friend and I talk a lot about marriage. We have both struggled to improve our marriages and I find her a supportive person to talk to. I am close with her parents and we were talking about what a great marriage they seem to have. When she and her sister were very little her parents hit a really rough spot. Divorce seemed to be the only solution. They decided to follow the advice to have a date night that they kept no matter what. Problem was...they were in deep withdrawal and could not stand each other. My friend only remembers spending time with a beloved babysitter EVERY Thursday. Her parents tell the story of WEEKS of sitting across from each other and not speaking because they had nothing nice to say (I guess that was one of the rules, no fighting!!) Anyway, eventually they found stuff to talk about, started going away for weekends etc. and here they are happily married 35 years later. I'm not sure if they were following all the MB rules etc. But I think of the story often and it became very real to me after my H and I went from withdrawal to conflict while spending 15+ hours from close to zero hours together all of a sudden.

Being in love is a decision. MB gives you the tools to follow through with that decision. I know I made the "decision" many times but didn't have a good blueprint to follow and made a lot of mistakes along the way.

We are almost two months into our MB journey. We have sucked at actually talking about the topics and filling out our workbook, but we have had fun doing other stuff smile

M
M
Originally Posted by wannatry
We are almost two months into our MB journey. We have sucked at actually talking about the topics and filling out our workbook, but we have had fun doing other stuff smile

wannatry, you have described a typical recovery. It is awkward at first but then it comes easier and easier until it becomes a habit! That is the goal of MB, to train us to have habits that faciliate a great, romantic marriage.

It is true that if you bring the body the mind will follow.

Glad to hear you are working the program. It really works when you work it! smile

Exposure 101

M
M
bump

Exposure 101

M
M
This program is NOT a conflict resolution program but a create romantic love program. All the conflict resolution in the world will not save a marriage. Many couples who become experts at resolving conflict STILL end up getting divorced. Dr Harley does not focus on conflict resolution, rather he teaches couples to fall in love and then addresses conflict resolution [POJA] in a way that builds romantic love.

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
The difference between my approach to saving marriages, and the approach of most other therapists, is that I focus on building romantic love (being "in love") between spouses, rather than simply focusing on conflict resolution. As it turns out, I also address conflict resolution, but I do it in a way that builds love between spouses.

Since most marital therapists fail to address the romantic love issue when they try to help couples, their approach to conflict resolution usually fails to build love, and as a result, the couples divorce, even after "resolving" some of their conflicts.

An example of this current effort to "resolve" marital conflicts is found in a book by Jacobson and Christensen, Integrative Couples Therapy (Norton, 1996). In this training manual for marital therapists, couples are to be encouraged by their therapists to lower their marital expectations by becoming more understanding of each other's dysfunctional background. Irreparable wounds inflicted during childhood should inspire empathy toward a thoughtless spouse, not disappointment.

Awareness of each other's limitations should lead to acceptance of each other's behavior and a willingness to meet one's own needs, instead of expecting each other to meet those needs. The suggested goal of therapy is to teach each spouse to make themselves happy, and not look to each other for their happiness. While this approach to therapy may resolve a couple's conflict, it most certainly will not lead to love. When couples follow this advice, few love units are deposited and many are withdrawn. In the end, the couple is likely to divorce.

The same sort of advice is given in Getting the Love You Want by Hendrix (Holt Rinehart, & Winston, 1988). While the book title seems to address the issue of romantic love in marriage, the author's strategy for couples is to learn to accept each other's marital failures, rather than doing anything to overcome them. I guarantee you, if you follow this strategy, you will NOT get the love you want.

My experience, and the experience of a few others who are carefully studying what it takes for a couple to be satisfied with their marriage, proves the opposite of what is currently being popularly recommended. Instead of spouses trying to lower their expectations, I believe that they should raise them. Instead of spouses learning to meet their own emotional needs, I believe that they should expect to have them met by each other, and met in a professional manner. Why? Because that's what it takes for a couple to be in love and stay in love. Furthermore, couples should not waste their time trying to "understand" each other's failures, but rather, they should try to overcome them as quickly as possible so the issue does not have time to drain their Love Banks.
continued here

Exposure 101

L
L
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread & bumped it... This is something I've been working to learn, step by step. Actually, I come here to rehearse what I'm trying to learn... the refreshers from others help me. I've been reading this material for some time, but I've only recently made the jump of introducing it to my husband. In some ways, we've done great on our own over the years, and in other ways we could really improve.

I do especially struggle with the following...
Originally Posted by Dr Harley
Instead of spouses trying to lower their expectations, I believe that they should raise them. Instead of spouses learning to meet their own emotional needs, I believe that they should expect to have them met by each other, and met in a professional manner. Why? Because that's what it takes for a couple to be in love and stay in love.
continued here [/quote]

I understand the wisdom of it, but I fear as well... I mean, if I am vulnerable enough to reveal a deep need... and what if my husband isn't interested in meeting the need or protecting me in that way?
Obviously, I�m struggling somewhat with trust. Being �in love� is scary� rejection is that much more potentially painful! No that it isn�t worth the price, and I am working hard at becoming a buyer and trying to create and environment where my husband is comfortable doing the same.

We�ve filled out the EN questionnaires (very revealing), but haven�t gotten further yet, including covering POJA. I�ve been slow� I don�t want him to think I�ve brought the Harley�s into our marriage in order to �gang up� on him regarding some IB. But I�ve been trying to broach these subjects a bit� implementing Harley stuff without actually referring to the program. At any rate, I thought I�d share that the other night, someone requested something of my husband that could have potentially led him to engage in IB while at the same time clearly disregarding an important need that I have shared with him. Rather than replying, he put the person off. A couple of days later, he brought the subject up while we were on a �date,� and he expressed his desire not to do anything that would disregard my need. In the past I would have rushed to reassure him that I was �ok� with it even if I wasn�t really (out of fear of being a pain)� but I was honest and admitted that it really was a need, and it was best for our marriage that he not acquiesce to the request. He not only was fine with this, but he suggested a solution to the situation that we could both be semi-enthusiastic about (it involves a labor of love for someone who is dying, so it�s hard for me to say �enthusiastic� in this context). My �love bank� and trust levels went up & up� small steps.

Me: 43
DH: 42
DD & DS: 15 & 16
married 22 years
M
M
Originally Posted by little_t
In the past I would have rushed to reassure him that I was �ok� with it even if I wasn�t really (out of fear of being a pain)� but I was honest and admitted that it really was a need, and it was best for our marriage that he not acquiesce to the request. He not only was fine with this, but he suggested a solution to the situation that we could both be semi-enthusiastic about (it involves a labor of love for someone who is dying, so it�s hard for me to say �enthusiastic� in this context). My �love bank� and trust levels went up & up� small steps.

Wow, you did a great job! Being radically honest with your husband in a respectful way was very effective. It is apparent that your H is very invested in your marriage.

Exposure 101

L
L
Thank you! - RH is not my strongest suit, and my husband struggles with it too. My husband is very committed to our marriage - but we do have a history of poor communication to overcome - and at one point when he felt that I was not interested in our marriage, he was contemplating divorce (a huge wake-up call for me is an understatement). It obviously helps a lot with MB when both spouses have that commitment, so even if only one has familiarized themselves with MB, the other joins the pas de deux. I'm looking forward to him having greater familiarity too - because he's already doing so great with some things, it'll honestly be a case of "wow, you already do that" rather than "I wish you would do that."

Me: 43
DH: 42
DD & DS: 15 & 16
married 22 years
M
M
bump - this was an awesome thread that emphasized that MB101 is not a conflict resolution forum, but a marriage building forum.

Exposure 101

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 822 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation