Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
AllieD Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Please help me. Are there any resources out there available to help the partner that cheated? When I search for help, I find so many things directed towards the partner who was cheated on, but nothing specifically for those of us who messed up.

The guilt is eating me alive. My husband was aware of my affair from the beginning but he didn't want me to move out because he wanted to make our marriage work. I came to my senses and I have completely ended my relationship with the other man.

I can't live with the guilt. It's been almost 6 months now and I feel worse by the day. I can't believe I hurt my husband like that. I can't get over what an evil person I am to have done something like that. I think of suicide every waking hour of every day.

It's so wrong. He forgives me for hurting him so bad. He offers me comfort and says he wants me to be happy again. It is SO WRONG that he is trying to offer me comfort after what I did to him!!!!!

Is there any book or anything I can read that will help? I can't go on like this. I can't quit crying and my stomach hurts continually. I want to wake up from this nightmare but I know I won't. I just need some encouragement or something.

M
M
I think of suicide every waking hour of every day.

Please go see a doctor TODAY and get on anti-depressants. They take 3-6 weeks to begin working so you really cannot wait another minute.

I am sorry you are hurting so badly...your best bet to start feeling better is to achieve "just compensation" for your affair ~ read up on the MB Basic Concepts HERE and begin implementing them into your M.

It will probably also help if you sit down and write out your list of EPs (Extraordinary Precautions) to give to your H. These are concrete things you can do to prove to both yourself and your H that you are going to take ACTION in order to make up for the pain you have caused.

((((Allie)))

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006
D-Day #3~Feb.27, 2007 (we'd been in a FR)
Plan B~ March 3 ~ April 6, 2007

In Recovery and things are improving every day. MB rocks. smile
M
M
Hi Allie! Welcome to Marriage Builders. Dr Harley addresses this issue here:

Originally Posted by Dr Harley

There are several networks that are currently working on documentaries regarding infidelity, and I have been called by them to give them some ideas. The one point I try to make again and again is that a spouse's affair is the most painful experience anyone can have in life. I encourage them to ask those who were the betrayed in their documentary to compare the suffering they experienced with all other tragedies they'd had in life. Our experience is that when those comparisons are made, infidelity tops the list when it comes to suffering. So guilt is a normal reaction for those who have inflicted this level of pain on someone. And flashbacks regarding the source of that pain is normal for those who have been the victims. In fact, I don't hold out much hope for couples where the unfaithful spouse DOESN'T feel guilt because he or she is usually unwilling to provide just compensation for the offense (see my three Q&A column series "Can't We Just Forgive and Forget?"). here The just compensation I recommend is to completely eliminate the conditions that made the affair possible, take extraordinary precautions to avoid another affair, and meet the most important emotional needs of the betrayed spouse. When those conditions are met, I've found that the unfaithful spouse experiences very little residual guilt, and the betrayed spouse has much fewer flashbacks.

The problem I generally see in couples where guilt and flashbacks persists is that just compensation has not taken place. The conditions that led to the affair persist, the extraordinary precautions have not been implemented, and/or the unfaithful spouse is not meeting the most important emotional needs of the betrayed spouse. On the other hand when these three conditions are met, the couple will report that they've never had such a good marriage, and that perhaps the affair itself, as painful as it was to experience, provided the catalyst for change. I've written in a number of places that unless a marriage is better after an affair then it ever was before the affair, the marriage is unlikely to survive. The just compensation helps create that magnificent marriage if it's implemented.

Best wishes,
Willard F. Harley, Jr.
here

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

V
V
Allie - welcome to Marriage Builders. This place is both for the betrayed and the betrayer. There are quite a few women here who were just like you and had affairs. They have managed to use Marriage Builders to rebuild their marriages.

This IS the place for you.

Some preliminary info:
How old are you and your H?
How long married?
Children?
Who was your affair partner? How did you meet?
How long did the affair go on?
Has No Contact been established? Do you see the OM at all?
Was the OM married? If so, does his wife know?

Now - as to guilt. It is right that you feel guilty because you have done something very wrong. However, you should not be punished for this for the rest of your life - by you or your husband. What you need is a PLAN OF ACTION to help you repair the damage that has been caused and rebuild your marriage. That is where Marriage Builders comes in.

I would recommend you get the books Surviving an Affair, Love Busters and His Needs, Her Needs. They will guide you through the steps of overcoming the affair and provide you with tools to ensure it never happens again.

A little bit on Just Compensation - which I think can help you:
So let's talk about just compensation. What could the offending spouse possibly do to compensate for an affair? After all, it's probably the most painful experiences anyone could ever put his or her spouse through.

The first act of compensation to you from your husband should be to end his relationship with the other woman once and for all. He should never see or talk to her again, even if it means leaving his job or moving your family to another state. The reason should be obvious, but in case there's some confusion, he should be reminded that every contact he will ever have with this woman will be like a knife in your heart. He has already caused you to suffer unbearable pain, and any further contact with his ex-lover would keep you suffering. In your case, the affair is probably over, but has your husband taken precautions to never see or talk to his ex-lover again?

And then he should put extraordinary precautions in place to guarantee that another affair will not take it's place. Has he considered the circumstances that led to his affair? Intoxication, business trips that separate you overnight, close friendships with those of the opposite sex, recreational relationships that do not include you, and so forth, should be subject to scrutiny. What was it that made him vulnerable? Whatever it was, he should take extraordinary precautions to avoid it in the future. It's part of just compensation for the suffering he's caused you to bear.

While there's no excuse for an affair, and if your husband takes the extraordinary precautions I've suggested he will never have another affair again, there are "reasons" that people have affairs. And those reasons must also be addressed when considering just compensation.

You can rebuild this marriage but it will take time, love, and patience. You will need:

1. Complete Openness and Honesty with your husband along with full Transparency - no secrets.
2. Complete No Contact with your affair partner

Can you bring your husband here, as well? This place could be a big help to BOTH of you.

Readthis

Some basic info on dealing with an affair.

Welcome, I'm glad you are here. Please stick around.

Me & DH: 28
Married 8/20/05
1DD, 9 mo.
Just Lookin' and Learnin'
HIYA!
M
M
Originally Posted by AllieD
The guilt is eating me alive. My husband was aware of my affair from the beginning but he didn't want me to move out because he wanted to make our marriage work. I came to my senses and I have completely ended my relationship with the other man.

I would also add that guilt and shame is a good thing and suggest you embrace it rather than run from it. It is simply your conscience's warning signal that you are in violation. If you didn't feel guilt, you would likely be a sociopath.

Your guilt is a GIFT from your conscience.

That guilt serves several good purposes: it serves as a signal to stop the bad behavior, helps us avoid such bad behavior in the future and propels us into action to right that wrong.

For example, if I steal money from the bank, my sense of guilt drives me to pay the money back to restore my honor. I view guilt as a GIFT, not something to run away from.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

A
AllieD Offline OP
OP Offline
A
We don't have medical insurance and I feel guilty spending his money after what I did to him. Thanks for the link...I'm going to check it out right away. And thanks for caring. I have never talked about this to anybody and I'm so scared of nasty remarks even though I deserve it...I just can't handle it right now.

A
AllieD Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you. I appreciate it so much.

A
A
We don't have medical insurance and I feel guilty spending his money after what I did to him. Thanks for the link...I'm going to check it out right away. And thanks for caring. I have never talked about this to anybody and I'm so scared of nasty remarks even though I deserve it...I just can't handle it right now.

Allie -

Welcome to Marriage Builders. You have come to the right place to restore your marriage. There are other posters here that were the wayward spouse that you can read and learn from. And you shouldn't get too many nasty remarks considering you feel repentant and are willing to work on correcting your mistakes. Listen to everything the vets tell you and follow their advice to the "T". The MB program is life-changing if you follow the steps.

I'm glad you are here!

aBetterMe

Last edited by aBetterMe; 09/15/10 11:38 AM.

aBetterMe

Me 33
DH 35
Together 14 years, married 12
Two "furry children" (one cat & one dog)

MB has changed me and changed my life. I am becoming a better person for it, and building a better marriage. MB principles can truly help you create the love and the life you want.
A
AllieD Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you so much. I'll be getting those books. To answer your questions:
How old are you and your H?
I am 30; he is 34
How long married?
10 years in June
Children?
3; ages 6, 5, and 1.5
Who was your affair partner? How did you meet?
A guy I met online. How embarrassing to admit.
How long did the affair go on?
Approx. 6 months; we "saw" each other 3 times
Has No Contact been established? Do you see the OM at all?
We had no contact for over 3 months; I haven't seen him for 5 months. He text me the other day...I guess I was hoping he would just go away. I told him I'm not doing that anymore.
Was the OM married? If so, does his wife know?

He was single.

A
AllieD Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks for your input. Much appreciated right now!!

A
AllieD Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you. I'm glad I found this...I hope it will help. Something's got to give soon.

W
W
Allie: You need to send the OM a formal NC (No Contact) letter. Tell him that you are devoted to working on your marriage and that you never want to have any contact with him again for the rest of your life. Have your H approve the letter before you send it. There are examples of NC letter on this site.

You are in all likelihood feeling this way because you have not yet established extraordinary precautions (such as eliminating all contact with the OM). Every time you have contact (even seeing his picture or his name will do it) it triggers your guilt all over again. You will never be able to heal yourself or your M until you remove the OM from your life completely. Block him on your phone, email, whatever. Get a new number or a new email if you have to. If you met on Facebook or some other social networking site, get rid of your account altogether. Give your H all of your passwords and become an open book.

You can get through this. This site can help you find a way.

Me: BS/FWW: 48
BS/WH: 50
DS: 30, 27, 25
DD: 28
OC: 10
BH and I are raising my OC together.
A
AllieD Offline OP
OP Offline
A
That makes so much sense. Things have been much worse(emotionally) since his text the other day. I will definitely do the letter...I'm willing to do ANYTHING to help repair the damage I have done. It was naive to think that it would just go away...I had lost his phone number and we haven't been Facebook friends for months and haven't emailed. There has been no contact of any form since May and to me, it was over. I'm ready to do anything to ensure that it truly is over.

V
V
Yes - a No Contact letter is essential.

Also - change your numbers and email addys. Make it impossible for him to get a hold of you.

Every time he contacts you your recovery is set back to the beginning.

Me & DH: 28
Married 8/20/05
1DD, 9 mo.
Just Lookin' and Learnin'
HIYA!
M
M

A doctor may have samples he can give you to get you started...I doubt your H would mind you spending money if it would help both of you out tremendously.

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

S
S
Hi Allie and welcome,

I am a FWW, and what I have learned that helped me not feel this way are..

Setting new boundaries
Setting new EP's
Letting my husband know where I am at 24 hours a day
Apologizing to his and my family (although I decided to do a face to face apology to his family when ever I see them again.)
Blocking all of the OM's #'s, email, fb, yes there where more then 1 OM
Meeting my husbands EN's to the T
Reading self help books, one I just ordered is called "Healing the Pain body" excited to read that one laugh

Sometimes I do feel horrible on what I did to wheels, but then I feel grateful that he found this site and gave me a second chance. I love him with all my heart and now that I have new boundaries and EP's I will NEVER EVER do that again.

I agree on getting some anti-depression drugs.

Good luck.

You are in the best place! smile

M
M
Also - change your numbers and email addys. Make it impossible for him to get a hold of you.

This is crucial, do this today.

Both my FWH and I felt so much better after he did this.

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

V
V
Hi Allie, and welcome. You are in a great place to help you deal with your infidelity. As a previous poster suggested, I second the advice about having your betrayed husband (BH) post on here.

You are getting great input, especially regarding no contact (NC) and extraordinary precautions (EPs). Those will both help alleviate some of the guilt over what you have done. However, if there are things you are still doing, NC and EPs will not get rid of the guilt.

Have you been entirely open and honest with your BH about the details of your infidelity? Who, what, where - whatever your BH needs to know. Have you omitted any info that you think may be relevant to him or his healing? Is he operating under false information at all in his knowledge of what happened? (Edited to add: while he is ultimately the only one who can determine what information he needs or does not need, you are the only one in possession of all of the details - so if there is some area he hasn't even considered, e.g., you will need to bring it up with him in a way that allows him to know or not know.)

Recovery - both personal and marital - starts with an entirely clean slate. If there is anything you are holding back, any feelings you are harboring, details you glossed over, information you blatantly lied about, you most certainly do NOT have a clean slate. What you have is one of those chalkboards that has been erased over but not washed in ages, and you are about to write a recovery over a mess of grayish, foggy-looking detritus that will muddle the recovery message and make the work that much more difficult.

And, eventually, when you do finally realize the need for a clean slate, you will have to erase and wash not only the ages of accumulated chalkdust away, but also whatever you had been working on as your recovery that was established on false pretenses and a dirty chalkboard to begin with.

In other words, you start from scratch.

(Hrm, I can picture that analogy really nicely in my head, but not sure if it came out so well. I hope you get what I'm saying.)

Anyway, all this to say: NC, EPs, and completely open and honest.

Last edited by Mrs_Vanilla; 09/15/10 12:25 PM. Reason: added thought

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
D-day: 2008
V
V
Another thing:

Be very careful of putting your own guilt before your BH and his feelings. It is incredibly easy to continue the selfishness that characterizes infidelity by focusing only on how bad you feel, how horrible this all is, how life will never be the same, how it's so terrible, how it's just so unfair... dramaqueen You get the idea.

And you know what? Yes, it is all of those things. But that is secondary to the unwilling victims of your betrayal.

One thing that might help, as I believe MelodyLane suggested, is using your guilt as motivation. Channel those feelings into doing things for others, your BH first and foremost. Meet his ENs above and beyond his expectations. Evaluate what led to the affair and come up with a plan to address it. What happened, and what can you do to prevent anything similar from happening again?

Turn your feelings into actions. Show your remorse, show your guilt, with loving actions.

Last edited by Mrs_Vanilla; 09/15/10 01:31 PM. Reason: typo!

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
D-day: 2008
A
AllieD Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Several have questioned whether I have told him everything.....YES. Nothing was ever hidden. He knew the whole time. I have answered every question he has asked. The ONLY contact I have had with the other guy was his text last week, and I cut that off and told him no more. I plan to send him an email soon cutting off all contact whatsoever; block him from email and phone; etc.

It is incredibly difficult to give a clear picture here because I am not going to tell my side of the story. Possibly some of you are picturing a wayward wife and a guileless, hurting husband. So be it. It does seem that I am being incredibly selfish and focusing only on how I feel.....and I don't argue that I am a selfish person. I wouldn't have had the affair otherwise.

HOWEVER...let me just say that the guilt I feel is triggered when I see his pain. When I let myself feel how much I betrayed him. He doesn't talk to me about it much. I ask him, often, how he is doing. He doesn't say much. He feels like he deserved me to cheat on him because of what he did. We are both consumed with our individual guilt.

Our issues go way WAY beyond what started a year ago. We desperately need help and I'm at a loss to know how 2 people who are so horrible at communication can ever make it. We want to make it; we love each other. We just completely suck at expressing ourselves. I feel completely hopeless right now.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 218 guests, and 103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Comfortable Shoe, Sourdine, Abela Laye, Ardent Center, Lost@1969
71,846 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation