Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
M
Originally Posted by jal7788
The key then is to get the WW to acknowledge her damage. But HOW do you get her to do this IF she doesn't believe it was a BIG deal??

nono, the key is to state your boundaries and ensure she understands what you will and won't accept. I didn't say anything about making her acknowledge the damage she caused. That will come later if and when she ends contact and withdraws from the OM.

For now, the important thing is get her on board with recovery.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Melody Lane:
I get that. I will do that (after I read the book I've ordered).

I would not wait one day. There is no reason to wait.

I can anticipate what WW will say,

1. No I will not sent letter, I've already established NC (she will be embarrassed);

2. I've told you everything (WW wouldn't agree to polygraph);
3. (she might agree to this one);
4. you know all my passwords except one for work and I need some privacy (I have it anyway)
5. I don't know yet if I want to committment to recovery--I want to see how things go between us.

Like me, she won't leave the house.

"Dear, i dont' know if I want to commit to recovery either, but I am giving you an opportunity to earn my forgiveness and keep me interested in this marriage. Doing these things will help me make up my mind. Here are the things I will require:

If she won't agree to this program of recovery, I would tell her that you won't stay in an abusive, crippled marriage so the next logical step would be separation.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
SapphireReturns:

I've known the WW for 19 years. I really don't believe she would have had sex after 2 dates. True, it would have happened if it continued....I think OM wanted to that's why she backed off. In any event, she hasn't expressed a desire to "fix" our marriage or go to counselling (not good signs) but we are communicating well.

Waywards are liars, jal. If their lips are moving they're lying. This isn't the woman you've known for 19. She has been replaced by a wayward.

Yessirree. They've had sex. Count on it. That's the reason for her coldness toward you that night. She was conflicted with lust for OM and loyalty for you. Problem is, she's already addicted to the high she gets from OM, so she manufactured a reason in her mind to be angry at you - that "makes it all your fault."

What's going on right now? She's plotting, jal. She's keeping you on the hook for what you're giving her (which is likely mainly financial right now) and to have access to her daughters, while she gets everything worked out in her head and with OM.

Have you spoken to OM and explained that Hell will be visiting him if he doesn't leave your wife alone? For all you know she's told him she's single. Sometimes that works.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
M
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
[ I want to make my marriage better but she tells me she is not ready to make that committment. Now what? What leverage do I have? Move out and leave my children? I'm looking forward to the strategies in the books I've ordered. I guess she feels she is giving me enough by the fact that she has cut of contact. Of course I want more, but I can't force her to give more, can I?

if she does not end her affair and commit to the marriage, then the next logical step would be to file for divorce on grounds of adultery and get her legally removed from your home. Do you live in a fault state? In many states, you can file on grounds of adultery and keep possession of the home and primary custody of the children. In these cases, you can have the OM subpeonaed to the stand to give testimony of his affair under oath.

As long as your wife knows that you will not tolerate the status quo and that you will use her adultery to gain a legal advantage, she will be less inclined to maintain the status quo.

Exposure 101

J
jal7788 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I live in CA--no fault divorce. Right now, she is actually earning more than me (a lot more). She was stay at home mom for 17-18 years, now working with her father. My income has dropped significantly last 6 months but looking better. My daughters, bless them, would probably prefer living with mom than dad if forced to choose.

J
J
jal,

Maybe they will and maybe they won't. You simply love them, talk with them, and protect them. They won't forget how you handled this.

it seems to me your W is getting very full of herself. If that is so, then you must protect your boundaries and that includes seeking legal advice.

God Bless,

JL

J
jal7788 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
JL,
yes, that's part of it---w is full of herself. The dynamics of our relationship have changed. To her credit, she hasn't hid or not made available her income but very disrespectful. I guess my (lack of ) earning power played (plays) a bigger role in how we relate. The OM is kinda me 10-15 years ago--corporate high flyer.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 822 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation