Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
M
Originally Posted by theforreginer
OK. For a short moment I got this really disgusting thought of her beeing with the other guy in our apartment, but I've just talked to her on the phone and I'll pick her up at work in a couple hours.

It's kind of redicilous the way I think about this mess right now, because at the moment it feels like I'm involved in a poker game with our marriage in the pot, and I've been delt a pretty bad hand. Whish me luck I play my cards right tonigt and get through to her.

When you pick her up, tell her that you want her home with you in order to work on things together. If she's truly staying at your other place out of 'respect for your feelings' she won't argue about it. If she wants her space to be with the OM, she'll more than likely refuse.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

A
A
do not compromize with her. She needs to give up OM. You will be in a lot of pain for a long while if she sees OM and keeps living with you....
I have gone thru a similar situation with my WH during his first A and he was seeing OW and coming home to sleep with me and then off again to see her 2 days later....
Do not be a door mat. In the end, they will not respect you and leave you anyway.
blessing

atena
T
OP Offline
T
It's hard to interpret any "signals" when you're really completely shattered. If she starts to be avasive I'll explain to her that respecting my feelings mean that she should come back home with me. Thanks for the advice.

M
M
Originally Posted by theforreginer
I see and I respect your view on the matter. It may also be the language that plays tricks on me here. The meaning of "marriage" is purely religious to me. I've googled around for the defenition of "marriage" and I think the correct defenition of the partnership I have with my partner is "civil marriage".

We did however never marry in church since we -as most people in the Netherlands- have a more atheistic than religious upraise. Since we're not deeply religious a church wedding would most likly not create significantly more committment between us.

I wasn't talking about the religious committment. A civil marriage in any country is a legal and public committment to stay together and take care of each other, and it provides protection to a spouse who is forcibly divorced or abandoned (if it didn't, my son and I would be living in our car right now.)

Civil marriage provides the legal committment, and a religious ceremony (if the couple desires one) provides the spiritual committment. Even if "all" a couple has is a civil ceremony with a marriage license, that is still legal and binding and provides public notice of your committment to each other.

But - living together is not a "civil marriage." In the U.S., in some states, merely living together for a certain number of years does make for a Common Law marriage even if the couple never took out a marriage license and never had a ceremony. The law will eventually recognize them as married if enough time goes by. I don't know how that works in other countries.

It doesn't sound like you had a marriage of any kind - not a legal civil ceremony, and not a Common Law marriage.

Me, BW
WH cheated in corporate workplace for many years. He moved out and filed in summer 2008.
M
M
It may also be the language that plays tricks on me here. The meaning of "marriage" is purely religious to me.

You may be confusing "marriage" with "wedding". "Marriage" simply refers to a couple becoming legally married, no matter what kind of ceremony they have or don't have. As long as there's a valid marriage license and vows are exchanged in front of someone legally entitled to perform marriages, that's all you need.

"Wedding" refers to the ceremony itself. It can be religious or not religious, and very simple or huge and elaborate. But a wedding by itself is not legally binding. We have had a few nutball wayward spouses here who have had weddings with their affair partners - even while still legally married to their betrayed spouses.

But again - it does not sound like you and your girlfriend had either a wedding *or* a legal marriage. That's why we're not sure what we can do for you.

Me, BW
WH cheated in corporate workplace for many years. He moved out and filed in summer 2008.
M
M
Okay - let me try this again. You *did* have a legal, civil marriage in front of a judge and you *do* have a marriage license. That makes you a legally married couple and no one here on MB would disagree with that.

Apparently you just did not have a large and/or religious wedding ceremony. That's okay with us, too. Big weddings are nice but they don't make you married by themselves - stating the legal vows after getting a marriage license, either as *part* of the wedding or simply in front of a judge, is what makes you legally married.

But the ritual of a wedding is very important to most people, because that's where family and friends gather to witness this change in their status and give their approval to it. It sounds like this would have been important to your wife (and if you are legally married in your country, then yes, she is your wife.)

Me, BW
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 584 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation