Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 29 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 28 29
S
OP Offline
S
I have no frickin' idea what my identity is or what it has ever been. I think that is part of why I am here. I really don't know what my place in the world is or where/what I want to be defined as.

Me - 29 WW
H - 35
DD1 - 6yo
DD2 - 2yo
DDay - Feb 26, 2011
Hope to be recovered sooner than later!!
M
M
So, me being in the position that I am at the moment, in which I do not have feelings for my husband (and he doesn't for me right now, for that matter), I do feel a little hesitant at wanting to give up everything for him.

What you can't understand right now (because you aren't practicing it) is that by "giving up" these things and focusing solely on your husband and your M you WILL "fall in love" with him again. Remember how when you were first dating and you only wanted to be with him? That is your goal again ~ when you can both stop annoying/hurting/lovebusting each other and you both begin meeting each other's ENs completely, trust me...you won't miss any of this other "stuff". I know this to be true because we do all the things everyone here is suggesting for you and we are in love.

It feels a little bit like I am losing a piece of my identity (if you will).

What if you lost what you "think" your current identity is in order to find the identity of being a very in-love wife, with a very in-love husband? Would that be worth it?

I have always been an independent woman who came and went and did as I pleased

RED FLAG!! Guess how you became an adulterer?

(which, I KNOW, is why I am here),

Oh, phew. However the fact that you even mentioned this means you "know it" in your head but you aren't yet willing to make your actions meet this knowledge.

Also, my next question is, will this "struggle" between my H and I be a life long obstacle or will it ever become second nature??

Well, change is always hard, right? The more you practice, the easier it becomes. I know for certain we wouldn't go back to how things used to be because we are much happier now...my H says he is happier than he's ever been in our marriage. Why would we give that up?

M
M
Originally Posted by strugglingaz
I have no frickin' idea what my identity is or what it has ever been. I think that is part of why I am here. I really don't know what my place in the world is or where/what I want to be defined as.

Why not start with a faithful, loving wife? One who made a mistake but is more than willing to correct it and be a better person for it?

That would be an awesome identity to have, don't you agree?

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006
D-Day #3~Feb.27, 2007 (we'd been in a FR)
Plan B~ March 3 ~ April 6, 2007

In Recovery and things are improving every day. MB rocks. smile
M
M
Of course sapphire, I am confused. The other man is ALL I can think about right now and since I have no feelings of love for my husband, but know he is a good man, I am horribly confused. It is the worst thing I have ever been through in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!

STOP looking at ANYTHING ABOUT HIM...anything online, pictures, old emails, ANYTHING.

Stop listening to music that reminds you of him.

You are CHOOSING to think about this OM. This is completely and totally in your control. It's up to you to stop this.

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

M
M
Hi strugglin...

I want to show you something -- I think the similarities may really resonate with you...

One of your posts from tonight:

Of course sapphire, I am confused. The other man is ALL I can think about right now and since I have no feelings of love for my husband, but know he is a good man, I am horribly confused. It is the worst thing I have ever been through in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!

And my very first post to this forum made July 1, 2005

Originally Posted by MrsWondering
Hi,
I've been reading a lot about affairs, but I seem only to find things that address the issues or needs of the BS...My husband and I are both currently reading Surviving an Affair, and I do want to save my marriage...However, I just got out of the affair about 10 days ago and I am really having a difficult time adjusting. I miss the OP and still have feelings of love towards him...etc. Does anyone else have these types of feelings and if so, what do you do to get through them? I keep hurting my H everytime I have these feelings and am honest about them...where do I go from here? I want to have loving feelings about my H, but right now, everything he does just seems needy and unattractive...I'm truly at a loss...

Today, nearly 6 years after Dday, I am very passionately in love with my husband. I did NOT believe that could ever happen back then. I was so very unsure. It took a leap of faith, and some great words from some very wise people here, but I trusted them that my feelings would follow my actions and chose to work the program with my husband. Strugglin, if you think about it, you've already proven to yourself that your feelings will follow your actions -- look no further than the affair -- look where all your time was invested -- look at your actions towards OM -- What happened? Your feelings followed those actions, yes?

Strugglin, the most important thing I can tell you is this: Staying in your marriage IS the RIGHT thing - NO ONE EVER REGRETS DOING THE RIGHT THING. I sure haven't - not even for a moment.

A genuinely recovered marriage is a wonderful and miraculous thing -- it's priceless, and all you have to do is choose to act to have that. Will you?

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

S
OP Offline
S
Thank you SOOOO much Mrs. Wondering for that post!!!!

Me - 29 WW
H - 35
DD1 - 6yo
DD2 - 2yo
DDay - Feb 26, 2011
D
D
That certainly inspired me, Mrs. W.

::sniff, sniff::

FBW in recovery
V
V
Originally Posted by MrsWondering
Staying in your marriage IS the RIGHT thing - NO ONE EVER REGRETS DOING THE RIGHT THING. I sure haven't - not even for a moment.

A genuinely recovered marriage is a wonderful and miraculous thing -- it's priceless, and all you have to do is choose to act to have that. Will you?

Mrs. W

hurray

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
D-day: 2008
M
M
Thank you SOOOO much Mrs. Wondering for that post!!!!

Sure, anytime...smile

I know you and your husband are working with Steve, but have you considered also doing the online program? I can't say enough good things about the MB Program -- it's a real Godsend and doing it gives you daily access to Dr. Harley [Steve's dad] on the private board, as well as a private MB accountability coach to help you every step of the way...It keeps your actions on course so that feelings of romantic love develop and REMAIN...

Mr. W and I did the Weekend Program back in 2007 -- it is the same as the online program...What I would recommend if you do the online program would be to get a hotel for the weekend -- treat it just like you would if they were still doing the "Weekend Program" -- This makes it a weekend away for the two of you and keeps you focused on what the whole thing is about...

What do you think?

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

G
G
strugglingaz,

Please consider: This OM of yours ain't all that.

Y'know how I know?

Because (in addition to my cheating on my wife) I was the OM for my OW.

She thought I was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I was all the things she grew to think her husband wasn't: I was attentive, I was witty, I was handsome & athletic, I was sober, I had an exotic-sounding job, I could sing, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Except there was a lil' problem: From the moment I stepped into the emotional-then-physical affair, involving the double-deception (of both her husband & my wife) I was as morally bankrupt as any person has ever become. I was a person who was not worth trusting. I was a nice, dark-haired, urbane, sophisticated, funny, good-looking, charming walking pack of LIES. And no guy who would engage in an affair with another man's wife is any better. As a human being, I wasn't worth a puddle of cold spit when I was in my affair, and neither is your Prince Charming.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
E
E
Wanna know what an OM can do? How lovely an ema is? How "wonderful" and "stable" your magical Om is?

Go read the thread right now on "Affairs Kill Families".

This is what the sin does to you. It can lead people down a path to no return.

You're in love with a lie, plain and simple. A fantasy. Smoke.

But you could have a real 100% love affair with your precious, H, if you can begin to open your eyes, really work the MB program, and go through the stages of withdrawal to get to the other side.

Your reputation, decency, and self worth is waiting for you on the other side.

Change happens by listening and then starting a dialogue with the people who are doing something you don't believe is right. ~Jane Goodall
S
OP Offline
S
Mrs Wondering, I went back and read your posts from the very first day you logged on here and it was SO inspiring to me. It helps to keep me on track when I can read other peoples story, because just as you said, I felt like mine was unique and the real thing. I VERY EASILY want to fall off of the "right" track and being on here helps keep me focused.

Me - 29 WW
H - 35
DD1 - 6yo
DD2 - 2yo
DDay - Feb 26, 2011
S
OP Offline
S
Mrs. Wondering, tell me a little bit more about the online program. How long does it take to complete? Do we need to work with Steve weekly plus do this? Also, honestly, how long did it take for you to lose feelings for the OM? Do you still find that you think of him to this day, wonder about the "what ifs"?

Me - 29 WW
H - 35
DD1 - 6yo
DD2 - 2yo
DDay - Feb 26, 2011
M
M
Mrs Wondering, I went back and read your posts from the very first day you logged on here and it was SO inspiring to me. It helps to keep me on track when I can read other peoples story, because just as you said, I felt like mine was unique and the real thing. I VERY EASILY want to fall off of the "right" track and being on here helps keep me focused.
Pay very close attention to Mrs. W - she's a heavy hitter who will give you great guidance. Glad to see you on this thread, Mrs. W!

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
M

I'm glad my fog-ridden posts have been good for something other than lining a bird-cage!

Here's a funny little tidbit about my old threads -- I can't remember if I've ever told this here or not...One of the people posting on my thread to me was Mr. W - under another name - and I thought that guy was the smartest thing EVER...and I would call Mr. W into the room and say, "Listen to what this guy said, he is so smart!" and I would proceed to read him his very own posts! And he didn't let on that it was him for about a year and a half! grin Funny isn't it? I was attracted to Mr. W without even knowing that it was Mr. W at a time when I was here screaming that I was NOT attracted to Mr. W! stickout crazy

I agree with you, being here DOES help keep you focused and for a time it even replaces "OM" in a way and as long as it does not do that permanently then that is a good thing and is okay. What you mustn't do is get stuck in this stage though. You must ACT. And I know that isn't easy, but it IS necessary and in the long run you will be oh-so-glad you did. You can't just sit around and wait for some "magic feeling" to overtake you, because that won't happen.

Wanna hear something really sappy sounding -- it happens to me a lot now -- We live in Michigan and it's been pretty snowy here this year which has meant a bunch of nights curled up watching movies -- and I get tearful during these nights a lot -- because they are FUN -- just our little family all cozy and warm -- and I almost threw this away -- I can't believe how blessed I am, strugglin -- I did not deserve the second chance I was given -- I did not deserve one ounce of the grace or mercy that I have been shown -- but I'm so grateful -- I'll never stop being grateful for this beautiful, happy family of ours...It is the best thing in the world...I want that for you too -- and it is within your grasp.

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

S
OP Offline
S
AWWWW!!!!!! Mrs. W, that is the first time since this affair has been exposed that someone has made me teary eyed. Thank you, thank you, thank you, I am so grateful for you. So, honestly, how do I proceed at this point. Just jump all in with my H and try to go on like nothing happened, try to meet his emotional needs, spend our 20 hours together, what exactly??

Me - 29 WW
H - 35
DD1 - 6yo
DD2 - 2yo
DDay - Feb 26, 2011
M
M
Mrs. Wondering, tell me a little bit more about the online program. How long does it take to complete? Do we need to work with Steve weekly plus do this? Also, honestly, how long did it take for you to lose feelings for the OM? Do you still find that you think of him to this day, wonder about the "what ifs"?

The online program -- it's amazing -- you work at your own pace -- The great thing is your coach will guide you -- along with Dr. Harley -- about which parts you should do first...You have access to Dr. Harley and the MB coaches for a LIFETIME...LIFETIME ACCOUNTABILITY...How cool is that?

About Steve, well that's a tough one for me to answer -- I just think he's such a great guy that it's difficult for me to tell you not to coach with him, even though to me the MB Program is complete on it's own -- But listen, if you can afford to do both then that surely is the best, huh? Right now your marriage is on life support, so my feeling is "the more the merrier", but I would ask Steve or one of the MB coaches for their advice where that is concerned.

How long did it take me to lose feelings for OM -- Oh man, it's been such a long time ago that that happened, I truly can't remember exactly...I know that the affair ended in June, last contact in early July [the ugliness of that is detailed in one of my early threads] and by August we took a road trip and listened to His Needs/Her Needs on CD together and that marked a big turning point in our recovery -- I began to feel a real connection with Mr. W again...[and why did I begin to "feel" that way? look at what I was doing...road trip alone with Mr. W - focused on our marriage and what we could do to make it the best it could be...]

Today the only "what ifs" I have are the ones that go like this: "OMG, what if I had thrown away my family? What if our daughter didn't know the kind of life she has now? What if I had ripped her security away from her? What if I didn't get to wake up safe and secure next to Mr. W every morning?" and about a million other "what ifs" associated only with what if I hadn't done the right thing. I'm positive I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be -- absolutely no doubt about it -- for real.

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

S
OP Offline
S
Very good! I have an individual appt with Steve tomorrow so I will ask him about the online program for us. I would venture to say that we may need a little more coaching to get our feet on the ground before we are turned over to ourselves. Again, I appreciate your willingness and openness with my questions and your advice (which I take as being very caring and heartfelt).

Me - 29 WW
H - 35
DD1 - 6yo
DD2 - 2yo
DDay - Feb 26, 2011
M
M
Mrs. W is awesome...truly inspiring, I'm so glad she posted to you! She doesn't pull any punches and as a FWW I'm sure she makes a lot more sense ~ AND ~ you believe her more than you do us, even if we were telling you the same things. smile

See? We weren't lying...this stuff really works!

Me,BW - 42; FWH-46
4 kids
D-Day #s1 and 2~May 2006

M
M
(((((strugglin)))))

I'm very glad that you're here. smile Let us know how tomorrow's appointment with Steve goes, okay?

Mrs. W

FWW ~ 47 ~ Me
FBH ~ 50 ~ MrWondering
DD ~ 17
Dday ~ 2005 ~ Recovered

Page 9 of 29 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 28 29

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 790 guests, and 75 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation