Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Meh Offline OP
OP Offline
M
OK everyone - I am out with a little bit be back later this evening

W
W
Stay strong. You can get through this!

Me: FBH (2010) and FWH (1996): 40
Her: FWW and FBW: 40

2011: In recovery

A's are merely chocolate-covered cancer lollipops.
N
N
Well, Meh, it's been a helluva coupla days, hasn't it?

Here's the good news (and you've probably gotten a hint of this from the postings since my last one):

THERE ARE NO ORIGINAL WAYWARD SPOUSE STATEMENTS OR ACTIONS!

They all extract and execute from the same play-book. We have heard it all before.

Your best play right now is to complete the full, nuclear, exposure. Her management at work is KEY. Siblings, especially sisters, turn out to be hugely important. Girlfriends, classmates, her clergy, ALL of these have to be contacted.

The contact is not of the form of "You know what the b%#@%h I'm married to has done?"

The contact is of the form of "My wife has been conducting an affair with a co-worker. I am asking you if you have any influence over her to emphasize to her that I am committed to doing what can be done to repair our marriage. If you need to contact me, I can be reached at XXX-YYY-ZZZZ. Thank you."

DO NOT BACK DOWN FROM THE POLY. (Actually, the more she resists, the less you need it. Eventually, with or without the poly, your next call will be to a physician for a full set of STD screens for the two of you. You'll know that the "only an EA" was as much a fiction as all those "study sessions" she had away from home.)

HERE IS THE BEST THING YOU MUST REMEMBER: This is not your fault. Your WW decided to go outside her marriage for things that are only to be found within your marriage. The shame is hers entirely. She has NO RIGHT to expect forgiveness.

M
Meh Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I am completely broke - crying harder than I ever have before.

She has left - packed up clothes and gone to her moms.

I called my dad and told him about MB and he said it sounds cultish but he will read up on it.

I told my best friend and he thinks its extreme.

Her mom said whether she takes the polygraph, fails or not - she is leaving me. Thats what she told her mom.

Everyone is saying I have lost it. She is mad I contacted her friends. They are all saying I am acting crazy.

W
W
You are not wrong to expose this affair. If she is leaving, it is not because of the exposure. You are doing nothing extreme, nor have you lost it.

She is acting crazy for having an affair. You are doing everything possible to kill the affair so that your M has a chance.

Following the principles of a professional is not cultish. It is sound practical advice.

M
Meh Offline OP
OP Offline
M
everyone is telling to take a step back

W
W
How many of those had to fight an affair and try to save their family?

Do not forget that you are the victim here, and your wife is the crazy one for putting her family on the chopping block for another married man at her workplace!

Any person with common sense would realize that she would likely lose her job and her family over her actions.

YOU are the victim.

R
R
They don't know what they are talking about but don't tell them.
Just stick to your guns/plan and be brave.
It is very upsetting to be betrayed but to then need to be brave and to implement a logical step by step plan.....especially when the wayward blows up with anger at their secret fantasy being exposed....even with family members questioning your tactics and motives.
They do not get to decide how you deal with betrayel. You do. Only you.

Those of us who are here on the forum have experienced the stuff you are experiencing and followed the plan back to self respect and sanity. Have any of your in real life support system ever done it for themselves?

Be strong.

We aren't a cult.....unless you want to say we are a 'cult' of people who follow logic in place of following whims of our gut feelings to react before thinking.

Marriage builders is logical. Its not a guarantee to anything but finding kernels of peace of mind along the way.

M
Meh Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Have any of your in real life support system ever done it for themselves?

no

M
Meh Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I feel like she needs to read this

M
Meh Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Well my dad and his wife have both told me how wrong and insulting it is to ask someone to take a lie detector test. I feel like she needs to read this.

M
Meh Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I need to talk to someone

J
J

Hello Meh,

If you have read my thread you know I have recovered my M.

You also will have read that not all of my family agreed with the MB principles including no contact for life.

Without MB we would have divorced.

Your M can survive your WW's anger and some of your family's disapproval...

It will NOT survive an ongoing affair.

MB works.

I have a very blunt question for your parents and any others that disagree with finding out if the affair was physical...

Do they want you to bet your life that your wife has not been exposed to life altering and life ending STD's like HIV - AIDS?

Do they want to GUESS who their grandchildren's father's may be?

You MUST know the truth about the affair and this is the only way you will EVER know.

Mrs.Flint would NEVER have confessed the affair with MY OWN BROTHER without the prospect of having to take a polygraph.

Why would she?

Jim

FWW 48 had EA and PA affair with my brother which ended in 2006. Me BH 53. Happily recovering with a new and better marriage through MB!!! My thread - http://www.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2110024#Post2110024
M
M
No, don't send her here to read this. You will lose this board as a resource.

We cannot help you if you can't control your emotions and stick to a plan. We have saved our marriages, Meh, your friends have not.

Can you calm yourself down and stick to a plan? If you can't put your emotions aside and follow a plan, you are probably not going to make it.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by Meh
Well my dad and his wife have both told me how wrong and insulting it is to ask someone to take a lie detector test. I feel like she needs to read this.

Please stop taking advice from people who don't know how to save marriages. I know they mean well,but they do not know how to save marriages. Dr Harley is a clinical psychologist who has saved THOUSANDS of marriages and he advocates polygraph tests. [he discussed this on his radio show yesterday: here

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

W
W
Meh, based on her reaction right now, she is incapable of understanding any of this and having empathy for your situation. In her mind, your M was in shambles, you probably abused her emotionally, the M was going to end anyway.....well, you get the idea.

Your W is in a fog. This exposure is a bucket of cold water being poured on her.

When my FWW was in the fog, I exposed to her friends and had discussions with the OMW. If I had not done this, my wife said she would have went ahead with D so that she could be with OM. My exposure brought her back to reality.

Food for thought.....

M
M
Originally Posted by Meh
I am completely broke - crying harder than I ever have before.

She has left - packed up clothes and gone to her moms.

I called my dad and told him about MB and he said it sounds cultish but he will read up on it.

I told my best friend and he thinks its extreme.

Her mom said whether she takes the polygraph, fails or not - she is leaving me. Thats what she told her mom.

Everyone is saying I have lost it. She is mad I contacted her friends. They are all saying I am acting crazy.
This is early in the game, Meh. Don't put a lot of stock in what your WW says right now. Your dad thinks MB is cultish because it's a bunch of strangers online. Ignore that.

Your BF thinks it's extreme because he's never had to deal with infidelity. Ignore that.

Your WW hasn't been honest with you. That's the only reason she's blown away by your suggestion of a polygraph - she thought she could get away with it. Stupid you, right? WRONG.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

W
W
And keep in mind, we are real people here, and quite "normal" thank you. I am a happily married man with a few young children, graduate-school education, never even sent to the principal's office in high school, donate to the local schools, and I pay my taxes on time. Now does that sound like a cult member?

I have followed the principles here, and I have been through two A's, one by myself and one by my wife. We have been in your shoes before. Don't follow bad advice from those who have no idea how to treat the addiction of A's.

M
M
Originally Posted by Meh
You know what's wrong and insulting? For someone who vowed to love you and stay with you to have an affair! That's what's wrong! Are you kidding me? Are your parents your WW attorneys??????

OMG, Meh! Your wife is screwing around with another man and they think it's wrong for you to get the whole story???? WHAT???

I'm getting a headache.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
Meh Offline OP
OP Offline
M
meh

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 1,099 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation