Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
H
Originally Posted by CWMI
No.

Here's your signature line:

�We�re a generation of men raised by women. I�m wondering if another woman is really the answer we need.�

THAT'S what I'm talking about. That is blaming women for male behavior.

No, it's blaming a lack of male involvement, and you are choosing to take it that way.

The blame lies squarely on men.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
C
CWMI Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Then why did you feel the need to say this?

No, I will not from this day forward allow accountability of my masculinity to be held by women, as that is how it got fouled up in the first place.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
H
H
Then why did you feel the need to say this?

No, I will not from this day forward allow accountability of my masculinity to be held by women, as that is how it got fouled up in the first place.

Because allowing women to define our identity *as* men is part of the problem.

Men are at fault for the fact that it was women left to the task.

Last edited by HoldHerHand; 05/01/11 06:25 PM.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

K
K
And I was speaking of men in general dropping the ball on responsibility to wives and children. It was men who decided that they would be wage earners, and nothing more. Your fathers, grandfathers. Every generation has a choice.

I thought that was the evolutionary scope of things? Men hunted and gathered so they were the ones that fed adn supplied the family. Of course we don't have to hunt and fish to live but we have to have the money to support those that do.

And if you follow Dr. Harley, he prescribes that men are the wage earners and should be willing to let their wives stop working if they should want to which means if you follow MB, the men have to step up and earn more, learn to do with less, or work more hours.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

K
K
How about just defining who you are and not allow others to compromise that by the way they think you should be.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

M
M
I understand what you're saying, HHH, and I think your point is excellent.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

H
H
CWMI, I have to apologize for even taking part in this discussion.

To you, and to myself.

Again, I do thank you for creating a space for the discussion as to not interrupt other threads. I may be hard-headed, but respect is to be given where it is due, and in that sense, it is due here.

The thing is, the go-round here is getting nowhere, as you are bringing up points that I don't disagree with, in fact, they were points I originally brought up in my sources earlier.

Again, I wholeheartedly believe that men should be accountable to men for their masculine identity - in other terms "good men" - and I believe that nothing has to be taken from women for men to reclaim this identity. In fact, I believe the the marital and family unit will benefit if we "man up" and quit being doormats and/or man-children.

I have violated a simple non-negotiable, unalterable term by partaking in this - I argued as if I was seeking your approval.

I am not.

K
K
Someone mentioned masculine. Can you seperate masculine from man?

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

C
CWMI Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by kilted_thrower
And if you follow Dr. Harley, he prescribes that men are the wage earners and should be willing to let their wives stop working if they should want to which means if you follow MB, the men have to step up and earn more, learn to do with less, or work more hours.

Dr. Harley is not in favor of more hours, or overnight travel, kt.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
C
CWMI Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
I have violated a simple non-negotiable, unalterable term by partaking in this - I argued as if I was seeking your approval.

I am not.

It felt a whole lot like you were arguing to prove me wrong, and that I indeed do NOT know what it means to be a good man.

The whole "thank you, respect!" thing felt more like approval-seeking stuff.

Just fyi, I really have no problem with you personally, and I love the manly thread. I've been reading AoM for a couple years now. smile

(Oscar Wilde)
H
H

I am not.

It felt a whole lot like you were arguing to prove me wrong, and that I indeed do NOT know what it means to be a good man.

The whole "thank you, respect!" thing felt more like approval-seeking stuff.

Just fyi, I really have no problem with you personally, and I love the manly thread. I've been reading AoM for a couple years now. smile

I can give someone general respect for respectable actions without needing their approval. I can also give thanks when someone does something that I happen to find respectable. Neither of them require the approval or acceptance of the target.

My greatest fear when I started the man thread, is that it would melt down into yet another quarrel in gender politics and be locked, and as such miss the entire target.

It's not personal at all, and never was.

I think I have spent too much time arguing with radical feminists... spidey-sense tingles too easily.

D
D
Originally Posted by Enlightened_Ex
Being a good man or woman is not sufficient to sustain a marriage.

Which is why so many of us are skittish about remarrying. :-(

"If you will stop feeding your feelings, then they will stop controlling you" -Joyce Meyer
P
P

hurray

This is huge !

P
P
I think I have spent too much time arguing with radical feminists... spidey-sense tingles too easily.

LOL

You might appreciate this hotly debated, and controversial, 2004 thread.
*LINK* .... not everyone's cup of tea, for sure.

I think I like you HHH.
You're weird, but I'll overlook that for now.
rotflmao

M
M
No.

Here's your signature line:

�We�re a generation of men raised by women. I�m wondering if another woman is really the answer we need.�

THAT'S what I'm talking about. That is blaming women for male behavior.

No, it's blaming a lack of male involvement, and you are choosing to take it that way.

The blame lies squarely on men.

Hold, this statement in your signature is extremely hard to comprehend without context. I can tell you that it bothers Prisca strongly and that I don't know what it means because I haven't read the article and I lack the context. It's probably bothering a lot of people who don't want to speak up.

I have no doubt that it means something I would probably agree with or sympathize with once I finally read the original article. But you might want to know that without context it might be throwing a lot of people off.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
H
H
Originally Posted by Pepperband

LOL

You might appreciate this hotly debated, and controversial, 2004 thread.
*LINK* .... not everyone's cup of tea, for sure.

I think I like you HHH.
You're weird, but I'll overlook that for now.
rotflmao

I'm a man in a woman's world... I suppose that does make me weird.

C
CWMI Offline OP
OP Offline
C

You don't understand how offensive you are, do you?

My H was raised by his father after his mother took off, and he grapples with the same masculinity problem that you seem to have. So, reckon me that? (that's southern for 'explain that in the context of your 'woman's world has ruined the man' thesis')

(Oscar Wilde)
P
P
FYI, CWMI, I don't find his comments offensive to women.
Just weird. And young.

Last edited by Pepperband; 05/02/11 12:09 PM.
K
K
3 of my 4 bosses are women. Thier bosses are all women. The 1 guy that's a boss above them is a man but his boss is a woman.

I was raised quite a bit by my mom and gradmother.

So in my world, I agree with HHH. In fact, almost every one of my bosses has been a woman and over half of my professors were women.

So, I'm on the side with HHH that it's a womans world...at least in my world. Had my bosses/professors been mainly men, I would't feel the way I do.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

H
H

You don't understand how offensive you are, do you?

My H was raised by his father after his mother took off, and he grapples with the same masculinity problem that you seem to have. So, reckon me that? (that's southern for 'explain that in the context of your 'woman's world has ruined the man' thesis')

Well for one, there is things like this. I make a statement, and you take it as a war against women or some tripe.

I suppose I should "know my place."

However, I am a man in a woman's world. I am a nurse. Men make up 2-5% of the total professional field. Some floors in our local hospitals have NO male nurses or caregivers.

I live in a woman's world.

When I work with certain women, they exhibit behavior that definitely exhibit that the WHOLE WORLD is definitely NOT a woman's world, and they approach me with this "one of the boys" behavior. Then there are those who approach me with the "men are trash" attitude.

Neither of those types get anything from me. I am not "one of the boys."

The third type, they just work. A man in "their world" is not a disruption or threat. To them, I am just another nurse.

Sometimes, this world I work in overlaps the world of meathead men - "You're a male nurse?"

Yes, I am. And I'm about to poke your hip with this needle so that you can stop crying over those broken ribs.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 649 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation