Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2510798 05/18/11 11:13 PM
G
OP Offline
G
I have been busy reading SAA, HN/HN and LB... so I haven't been back to this site for awhile.. My BH and I have been working hard on our marriage, but we never agreed on the NC letter. He did not want me to write or send anything. So, per the request of my BH, I ignored OM's last attempt to contact me via email (6 wks ago). There has been NC since Feb (3 months).
I haven't thought about OM for awhile.. the fog lifted. My focus has been on my kids and H... and to repair my damage. then I get a voicemail from OM. This sets me in a tail spin. I need to just send a NC letter, but my BH doesn't agree.... that I should just ignore the attempt again. Fog is rolling back in. Help.

FWW - me (41)
BS - (42)
EA turned PA (2+ years)
DD - age 5
DS - age 7
M
M
Originally Posted by grace_88
I have been busy reading SAA, HN/HN and LB... so I haven't been back to this site for awhile.. My BH and I have been working hard on our marriage, but we never agreed on the NC letter. He did not want me to write or send anything. So, per the request of my BH, I ignored OM's last attempt to contact me via email (6 wks ago). There has been NC since Feb (3 months).
I haven't thought about OM for awhile.. the fog lifted. My focus has been on my kids and H... and to repair my damage. then I get a voicemail from OM. This sets me in a tail spin. I need to just send a NC letter, but my BH doesn't agree.... that I should just ignore the attempt again. Fog is rolling back in. Help.

How is it that you ALLOW the OM to contact you? Email addresses are easy to change. Phone #s are easy to change. It is UP TO YOU TO CUT OFF CONTACT AND THAT HAS NOT BEEN DONE.

You and your H ignore the OM at your peril. Your continued contact keeps him TOP OF MIND and eventually you will let him through. By not taking steps to affair proof your marriage, you are playing chicken with your marriage.

Is this loser married?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

G
G
You want "Help"? Help yourself: Change your phone numbers -- all of them. There is no excuse for not having done this months ago. It is one of the most basic "Extraordinary Precautions" against re-contact. (And it's not even all that extraordinary.)

If you've read SAA, then you've read the part about preventing contact with an affair partner. Don't tell me you've read it. Tell me you've implemented it. Your talk is cheap. Actions, not words, are what matter.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
G
G
Grace, does this look familiar?
http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/u...in=163454&Number=2500409#Post2500449

It's my April 20 post to you. Did any of it sink in? Why, after another month has passed, does OM still have any way to leave you a voice-mail?

Quit wasting our time. Get serious about saving your marriage, or get lost.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
M
M
grace, I don't think you understand that no contact is *YOUR* responsibility. If you had taken this seriously, the OM would have never got through.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

G
OP Offline
G
I did change my number and email address. I even ended a friendship that was a common acquaintance. The only thing I can think of is that he searched online for me and obtained my new contact information. I am a musician and am listed on a website with contact information for lessons.
I pleaded with my H to send OM a NC letter. My BH feels that ANY contact is not a good idea. I asked my BH to contact him then. He doesn't feel comfortable doing that.

FWW - me (41)
BS - (42)
EA turned PA (2+ years)
DD - age 5
DS - age 7
G
OP Offline
G
No, MelodyLane, the OM is not married.

FWW - me (41)
BS - (42)
EA turned PA (2+ years)
DD - age 5
DS - age 7
G
OP Offline
G
GloveOil... stay off this thread if I'm wasting your time. I AM SERIOUS about saving my M. EP's were put into place.

That said, I'm new and looking for direction. I've read literally thousands of posts on here and have been helped throughout this painful experience.

FWW - me (41)
BS - (42)
EA turned PA (2+ years)
DD - age 5
DS - age 7
G
OP Offline
G
In one post, someone mentioned samples of NC letters on this site. Does anyone know the link?

FWW - me (41)
BS - (42)
EA turned PA (2+ years)
DD - age 5
DS - age 7
C
C
In one post, someone mentioned samples of NC letters on this site. Does anyone know the link?

Grace_88, try this one:

Dear friend or family of WW(and MINE too),

I am writing this to ask you to support myself and my family though this difficult period (me in my fight to save my family.

You may not know it, but YYY is in another adulterous affair. I say another because I found out in _____about (insert the affair and type of affair here).

Since then ____has (insert relevant details here)

(I can not hope to save my marriage while Ws is engaged in adultery.)

I know you care about Ws and want only the best for WS and our kids, which clearly being in an adulterous affair is not. Unfortunately WS has chosen to misrepresent the truth of WS's adultery to myself as well as to others.

Many thanks for reading this mail and understanding the difficulties we are going through as a family. I�d appreciate any support in trying to put my family back together. (Thank you.)

Others may want to tweak it with you.

cv

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
C
C
Here is another:

OM,

The relationship I had with you was thoughtless and cruel. It hurt many people, particularly my spouse, who did not deserve to be treated that way. I am committed to my marriage and determined to make up for all the hurt I've caused my family. I am going to work hard to be the best wife that he deserves.

Because of the terrible offense to my spouse and the damage I have done to our marriage, I am permanently ending all contact with you. Please respect my wish to regain my integrity, and to heal my family. Please also respect my wish that you not attempt to contact me in any way at any time.

My spouse has all the details of our relationship and he will also be told of any attempts at contact.

Sincerely,

WW

Last edited by Cypress; 05/19/11 12:41 AM.

Me DH 39
WW 45 EA/PA LTR
DD2 6 yrs old
Divorced 2000

Cypress

I believe God challenges us with every crisis. Its more than just choosing good over evil, we have to learn and grow along the way.
M
M
Grace, do you have the book Surviving an Affair? I would use the letter in there. I don't know how you will do it, but I would find a way to make sure the OM doesn't get through again. If you don't block him off and keep him out this could go forever.

Exposure 101

M
M
Cypress just posted a good one. Thanks, Cypress smile

Exposure 101

G
OP Offline
G
Yes, I do have that book, SAA. I will craft the letter and talk with my H again. I need to convince him that this is necessary to send the NC letter.
I was doing well until this latest contact. Hearing from him threw me off.
Thanks also, Cypress, for the sample you posted. It's good!

FWW - me (41)
BS - (42)
EA turned PA (2+ years)
DD - age 5
DS - age 7
C
C
Show us the letter you plan to eventually use. The letter should be short and to the point. Nothing should give OM the idea that there is any feelings left towards him.

Tell hubby it is important that he agree to a no contact letter. It is more for H's well being that it is for yours. He needs to read it, and you should send it together.

Last edited by Cypress; 05/19/11 01:05 AM.

Me DH 39
WW 45 EA/PA LTR
DD2 6 yrs old
Divorced 2000

Cypress

I believe God challenges us with every crisis. Its more than just choosing good over evil, we have to learn and grow along the way.
G
OP Offline
G
OK... didn't sleep a wink after reading all of the posts in different threads... especially one by "strugglingaz". very good advice from everyone trying to help her. wow, some incredible advice.

I crafted the NC letter using exactly the wording from SAA book from Kevin to Amy to pg. 58 and 59. Just changed the names. I showed it to my H. He respectfully asked that we not send it. He feels that any contact on my part to OM is going to lead to a rebuttal or response from OM.

I tried to explain the MB principles and rationale behind the NC letter concept, and my H understood and respected it. My H is reading LB right now, and he's already read HN/HN. He's on board with the MB concept, but he's not on the same narrow path to recovery that Dr. H. explains. The way I understand it, the road is extremely narrow, and there's no room for missing one step.

I had to drop the conversation with H for now. I have to respect his right to disagree. After all, I screwed up, and I need him to have power here.

It does feel good to be completely honest with H. I'm glad I took another attempt. My H does not like to ever discuss the A. I've tried to get him to consider counseling, but I think his approach is, "if I don't think about it or talk about it, I'll eventually get over it". So, it's very hard for me to bring anything up with him that has to do with the A.

Long-winded here. Thanks for the helpful posts!

FWW - me (41)
BS - (42)
EA turned PA (2+ years)
DD - age 5
DS - age 7
G
OP Offline
G
NC letter that i wrote... wording from SAA

OM,
I want you to know that out of respect and love for my H and children, I have come to realize that I must never see or talk with you again. My relationship with you was a cruel indulgence that H did not deserve. While I cannot completely repay H for the pain I have caused him, I will do my best to become the wife he has been missing. I care a gread deal for miy family and I would not want to do anything to risk their happiness. I will not make any further contact with you and I do not want you to make any contact with me. Please respect my desire to end our relationship. Sincerely, grace

FWW - me (41)
BS - (42)
EA turned PA (2+ years)
DD - age 5
DS - age 7
C
C
Grace,

Good letter hurray

Talking about the A will be painful, but its important to do so. It will reduce resentment later on. And, it will eventually lead to a stronger marriage, if both of you do the work. Find the marriage successes threads. All the couples eventually opened up about the A.

It's good he's reading HN/HN. Get him to read SAA next. And, both of you do the EN exercises.

Last edited by Cypress; 05/19/11 09:14 AM.

Me DH 39
WW 45 EA/PA LTR
DD2 6 yrs old
Divorced 2000

Cypress

M
M
I crafted the NC letter using exactly the wording from SAA book from Kevin to Amy to pg. 58 and 59. Just changed the names. I showed it to my H. He respectfully asked that we not send it. He feels that any contact on my part to OM is going to lead to a rebuttal or response from OM.

How would the OM respond if you have cut off contact? That is where I would focus, grace, cutting off any avenue of contact. If the OM is contacting you via cell phone, have your H be the one to check your voicemails. I would think of creative ways to prevent him from getting through.

My H does not like to ever discuss the A. I've tried to get him to consider counseling, but I think his approach is, "if I don't think about it or talk about it, I'll eventually get over it".

That is good, as long as it doesn't preclude recovery tactics. Your H is right that not talking about it is the way to get over it, BUT that does not include avoiding the recovery of your marriage. Having no plan to recover your marriage is a plan to FAIL. Right now your marriage is a crippled version of your pre-affair marriage. It won't get fixed on its own.

Instead of him reading His Needs, Her Needs, I would recommend he read Survivng an Affair. Has he read that?

Exposure 101

C
C
Originally Posted by Cypress
Here is another:

OM,

The relationship I had with you was thoughtless and cruel. It hurt many people, particularly my spouse, who did not deserve to be treated that way. I am committed to my marriage and determined to make up for all the hurt I've caused my family. I am going to work hard to be the best wife that he deserves.

Because of the terrible offense to my spouse and the damage I have done to our marriage, I am permanently ending all contact with you. Please respect my wish to regain my integrity, and to heal my family. Please also respect my wish that you not attempt to contact me in any way at any time.

My spouse has all the details of our relationship and he will also be told of any attempts at contact.

Sincerely,

WW

Ok, this is why I should not be allowed to post after midnight!! I posted an exposure letter not a NC letter... Thanks for posting the right one!

CV

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 370 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation