Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 64 1 2 3 4 5 6 63 64
H
H
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
If he is on warfarin, he should also be wary of cranberry products.

He is on Plavix, but fortunately, he would never touch a cranberry.

Aaaaand... fruit. Yeah. Fruit cocktail is kinda on the edge. Fresh fruit is where it's at, as the fiber content is the good portion - the skins on apples, peaches, pears, etc.

Fruit is fruit, HHH! laugh

Plavix doesn't carry the vitamin K restriction. It works on platelets while warfarin acts on clotting factors related to Vitamin K. The cranberry restriction also does not apply.

Beyond that, clear all OTC meds and supplements with his Doc first.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
V
V
Originally Posted by Mrs_Vanilla
Even as an LPN, though, we need to be up on our medications, as the Docs can be a little... dumb?.. sometimes.

TJ: I find this statement rude and in poor taste. /TJ

Point taken. Comment removed.

Thanks, HHH.

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
D-day: 2008
V
V
Red meat does not cause high triglycerides or high cholesterol. Unfortunately, most doctors don't study nutrition. My HDL is the highest my doc has seen in his entire career at 103, I have a great lipid profile and I eat tons of beef - and EGGS. Cut out junk food and you will notice a dramatic difference in your trigs fairly quickly. By junk food, I mean sugar, refined flour, starchy veggies, etc. You will see a big difference! If you want to read a really good book about it, check out Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. It is a well researched, well documented book on nutrition. One of the very best I have ever read.

Thanks for the book recommendation, Mel.

I'm going to try spending some time reading up on nutrition - your experience is counter to a lot of what I thought re: the role of red meat and eggs in our diets, and I feel ill-informed. I would love to get the "All clear!" from the doc so we can eat meat and eggs again!

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
K
K
High cholesterol is typically genetic. Dietary fat has very little impact on blood cholesterol. I run through 4-8 whole eggs and a pound of red meat a day and have low cholesterol and triglycerides look good. And I'm not a rarity.

Doctors are typically ignorant when it comes to diet and nutrition.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

V
V
Originally Posted by kilted_thrower
High cholesterol is typically genetic.

This is certainly at play here. DH's family has crazy high triglycerides and bad HDL:LDL ratios.

I run through 4-8 whole eggs and a pound of red meat a day and have low cholesterol and triglycerides look good. And I'm not a rarity.

I forgot to mention this when Mel was discussing her experience, but DH used to consume approx. 1 egg and 1/2lb beef (or more) per day. No improvement, as Mel saw, and yet bad numbers, unlike you, k_t. So, yes, I'm agreeing more and more that his genetics are the fault here. Have yet to see new bloodwork after cutting out eggs, red meat, etc., but not expecting great things...

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
C
C
This is from the Mayo Clinic:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/CL00002

He might try a 'cleanse'--I don't have bad numbers but had a case of the blahs, and tried a diet where I cut out all animal products (ALL--check labels), sugar, gluten, caffeine and alcohol for three weeks and felt awesome. It would be very hard to eat like that forever. I love bacon. And bleu cheese. And coffee. And vodka. smile

If there is any dietary help for him, he could try that and add things in one at a time to see if any tweak his numbers up. Nothing can be done about genetics.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
M
M
I forgot to mention this when Mel was discussing her experience, but DH used to consume approx. 1 egg and 1/2lb beef (or more) per day. No improvement, as Mel saw, and yet bad numbers, unlike you, k_t. So, yes, I'm agreeing more and more that his genetics are the fault here. Have yet to see new bloodwork after cutting out eggs, red meat, etc., but not expecting great things...

MrsV, please get that book I recommended and research it on your own. Eggs and meat do not cause high cholesterol, that is a myth. Junk food like sugar, high fructose corn syrup, refined flour, etc can cause high LDL and triglycerides, though, because they are so unhealthy. Doctors know very little about nutrition so I would strongly advise you to look it into it yourself. There is so much garbage out there about what causes high cholesterol that one really has to do the research themselves. Gary Taubes, [the book I recommended above] Dr Michael Eades, are just 2 of the numerous researchers who have done cutting edge research on this subject.

My cholesterol improved dramatically just by cutting out junk but continuing to eat TONS of eggs and beef. Some good sources of information about cholesterol are the blogs of Gary Taubes and Dr Michael Eades

here

and Gary Taubes' blog

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Doctors are typically ignorant when it comes to diet and nutrition.

This is absolutely true.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

V
V

MrsV, please get that book I recommended and research it on your own. Eggs and meat do not cause high cholesterol, that is a myth. Junk food like sugar, high fructose corn syrup, refined flour, etc can cause high LDL and triglycerides, though, because they are so unhealthy. Doctors know very little about nutrition so I would strongly advise you to look it into it yourself. There is so much garbage out there about what causes high cholesterol that one really has to do the research themselves. Gary Taubes, [the book I recommended above] Dr Michael Eades, are just 2 of the numerous researchers who have done cutting edge research on this subject.

My cholesterol improved dramatically just by cutting out junk but continuing to eat TONS of eggs and beef. Some good sources of information about cholesterol are the blogs of Gary Taubes and Dr Michael Eades

here

and Gary Taubes' blog

Thanks for the add'l recs, Mel. I requested the Good Calories, Bad Calories book from the library as soon as I read your previous recommendation for it - now just waiting to get my grubby little mitts on it!

Now I can read the blogs while I wait...

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
K
K

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

K
K

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

C
OP Offline
C
I hope everyone had a nice Father's Day. We went over to my dad's house and grilled a "stuffed" flank steak: Butterflied steak spread with garlic/herb/shallot mixture, provolone, prosciutto. Roll it up like a jelly roll, then slice into pinwheels to grill. Served with grilled asparagus and rosemary olive oil bread.

C
OP Offline
C
Tonight: Grilled chicken with barbecue sauce, brown rice, salad.

MB angle: As he grilled, my husband was listening to some music on his iphone. Then he started dancing. He saw that I was watching him, so he switched the music to play on the kitchen speakers so I could dance for him (he is a computer geek and has the whole house crazy wired). So, recreational companionship, even though we weren't in the same room.

And, as always, grilling reduces kitchen cleanup, which is a good domestic support aid.

(Last night: Dinner out at a new-ish cajun restaurant, following a concert. Lots of recreational companionship and conversation -- and automatic domestic support, since no dishes were dirtied in the process.)

C
C
Marinated flank steak with an Asian noodle and cucumber salad. recipe here: http://www.countryliving.com/recipefinder/grilled-flank-steak-cucumber-noodle-salad-3713

I've planned a bunch of grilled meals lately and in near future, and have to time them around the pop-up thunderstorms which roll in between 4 and 6pm everyday...I've finished more than one meal off under an umbrella! smile

Yesterday was this: http://www.countryliving.com/recipefinder/jambalaya-sausage-kebabs-472?click=recipe_sr It was delish!

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
C
OP Offline
C
Crepes filled with chicken sausage and mushrooms and sauced with a gouda sauce.

Please excuse me while I depart from the Marriage Builder messaging to say this: I am the freaking QUEEN of CREPES. I am a crepe genius. I'm an artist. They should put a tent over my house because my kitchen is the Cirque de Soleil of crepes. I am the mayor of Crepe Town. Crepe pans tremble in anticipation and awe when I walk into a Williams & Sonoma.

M
M
curious, do you like crepes?? grin

You know, I LOVE crepes, but flour does not love me. Are they made with flour? Is there a way to make them without it? I am going to try your frittas because I checked into that and all the ingredients are legal! laugh

Exposure 101

C
OP Offline
C
MelodyLane,

Yes, I am afraid crepes are typically made from flour. I'm afraid I'm not well enough versed in flour substitutes to know if there is a non-flour way to make them. I suppose I'd start by looking for an Asian version of crepes made with rice flour (assuming you are ok with rice flour). A quick web search turned up this, which might be useful. But there were lots of other hits. Note that this recipe is specifically for fruity dessert crepes -- you can probably figure out the adjustments necessary for savory ones.

As for frittatas, they're really just the Italian version of an omelet, which means the fillings are mixed into the egg before its cooked, rather than folding it in while it cooks. The most traditional filling for frittata is leftover pasta.

I love how all these ethnic dishes are really just regional approaches to using up leftover bits and bobs in the fridge or cupboard. Frugal food. Using stuff up is my favorite cooking game.

C
OP Offline
C
Last night: Spaghetti with yellow tomatoes based on this recipe. I cooked, then went for a long walk while DH cleaned (DS and AS needs).

We have just returned from a short trip to my dad's beach condo. There were 6 adults. The night it was our turn to cook, we made pasta with artichokes (from a can) and sun dried tomatoes and grilled vegetables with walnut-shallot dressing (from a Food & Wine cookbook I found at the condo).

Yesterday morning before we left, I made a 6-egg (and so, smaller skillet) frittata with 1/2 green bell pepper, shallot, leftover artichoke pasta, some barbecued pork (unsauced), and cheddar and parmesan cheese.

Totally blanking on tonight.

C
OP Offline
C
Problem solved!

Turkey chops with dijon mustard and white wine sauce, roasted red and yellow peppers, and whole wheat cous cous.

Yummy!

V
V
My go-to on uninspired nights is:

*Tandoori salmon
*Salad - orzo w/ garbanzos or kidney beans; wheat berry/farro; edamame w/ black beans, corn, cilantro
*Grilled/steamed veggies
*Pan-fried potatoes if I'm feeling junky smile

Me - 30 (FWW)
H - 30 (BH)
DSx2
Page 4 of 64 1 2 3 4 5 6 63 64

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 597 guests, and 58 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation