Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
Dr Harley discusses why "Plan C" is the most likely to lead to divorce. radio link

Jt3ofus, if you decide to go into Plan B, here is a link that describes how it is done. This is initiated by a Plan B letter that outlines your conditions for return. And you should not speak to her [or text or email] unless she meets your conditions. How to Plan B

and here

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
Personally, I've learned that if I am triggering the first thing I need to do is take a look at the previous week to make sure H and I have been getting our UA hours in and all of that. Thankfully, I've had help in my recovery thread and other MBers point me to look at that too! Sometimes despite following the plan I still trigger, but it certainly affects me/us a lot more if we've cut corners.

Personally, I know that the MB plan works as is designed because I've tried other ways (prior to finding MB) and by seeing the results in others who think they can cut corners. The results are NOT the same - I can tell you that much!

Added bonus: it takes a much shorter time to recover and have a GREAT relationship when you follow the plan as it is meant to be followed.

"The #1 reason why people give up so quickly is because they tend to look at how far they still have to go, rather than how far they've gotten."

Me, FBW(46) H, FWH (43)
M - 21 yrs & counting
D (20)
S (18)
S (16)
Surviving and Thriving since November 2010 thanks to MB!
My Recovery Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2538986#Post2538986
My Original Thread: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2457141&page=1

G
GJM Offline
G
*Bump*

Me: BH 36
Her: WW 34
Kids: D 14, S 12, S 9
DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
Filed for D 10/2011-Papers Served 11/2011
Divorce final May 24, 2012
My Story

P
P
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
I am a corner cutter by nature so it is my natural inclination to find an easier, softer way to do most things. I figure that with most programs, if you cut out the fluff, you will find a much more efficient way to do something. With many things I am successful.

Not so with this program. I have tried and failed. So have many others. To their peril.

A big reason cutting corners does not work with this program is because Dr Harley has already done that. Since the corners have already been cut, further corner cutting only results in a watered down, impotent program. If you read his writings, you will quickly see that there is no fluff there. There is a straight line from start to finish. He is an engineer who is only interested in results. Measurable, quantifiable results. No psychobabble or wasted efforts.

Dr Harley left out the fluff and focused only on those activities that produced results. And he didn�t hope there were good results, he tested his efficacy all the way to the end result, which was a test that actually MEASURES the romantic love each spouse feels for each other.

So when you see members here who are so adamant that a step not be skipped, it is not because we are hard-asses or zealots, but because we know what works and doesn�t work. The longer a member is here, and the more familiar they are with the program, the more strict they will be. It is because they know cutting corners does not work.

The program simply does not work when corners are cut. It is not cafeteria plan where one picks and chooses. It has to be worked in its entirety to produce results. For example, it doesn�t make much sense to spend 20 hours a week together if you are going to ruin it with lovebusters. It makes no sense to use the POJA when you aren�t practicing radical honesty. See, everything works TOGETHER. One concept affects the other to produce a complete result.

When a couple in a crippled marriage puts forth a half baked effort that reaps no results, they quickly become discouraged and stop trying altogether. That is a disaster for the marriage. This is why it is so important to do it right or don�t do it at all. Doing it halfway often causes more problems than if the couple did nothing. Most marriages that show up here contain one reluctant spouse, so the hopeful spouse has ONE SHOT to make it work. When those half baked efforts produce nothing, there is often no second chance and all those efforts are wasted. The reluctant spouse now has grounds to the claim that �marriage programs are a waste of time" and wont' try again.

And I will give you a couple of examples of corners that when cut, make all the difference between success and failure.

NO CONTACT WITH AFFAIR PARTNER AFTER AN AFFAIR

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
The plan I recommend for recovery after an affair is very specific. That's because I've found that even small deviations from that plan are usually disastrous. But when it's followed, it always works. The plan has two parts that must be implemented sequentially. The first part of the plan is for the unfaithful spouse to completely separate from the lover and eliminate the conditions that made the affair possible. The second part is for the couple to create a romantic relationship, using my Basic Concepts as a guide.

How many times have we seen well meaning betrayed spouses ignore the no contact rule after an affair? Usually it is a situation where the affairees still work together and the BS does not want to rock the career boat. The BS learns the hard way eventually that the affair never ended and/or the WS stays so fogged out from occasional contact that recovery is rendered impossible.

THE CRITICAL IMPORTANCE OF UNDIVIDED ATTENTION TIME TO RESTORE ROMANTIC LOVE
from Effective Marriage Counseling:
Originally Posted by Dr Harley
"When I see a couple for the first time, I let them know that my program will require a minimum of fifteen hours a week of their time. If they can't dedicate that much time while I'm counseling them, I suggest they find another counselor because my plan won't work without it."

This is one of the biggest misses that couples make here. This program does not work without this step. No, 8 hours does not work, 10 hours does not work. It takes 15 hours of UA time per week to maintain romantic love and 20+ hours to create. It does not mean time you spend with your kids or watching TV. The time is most effective spent away from home in an environment that does not invite distractions in 2-4 hour blocks, meeting the top 4 INTIMATE EMOTIONAL NEEDS of affection, conversation, rec companionship, sexual fulfillment.

Once again, I found out the hard way that you cannot cut your hours and stay in love. A couple of years ago, my H and I slacked on this and were down to 6-8ish hours per week. We noticed the romantic love in our marriage going down fast.

Those are some of the top ways where corner cutting causes disaster. Please take it from a graduate of the School of Hard Knocks, and don't cut corners if you want to have what this program offers. It is not easy at first to implement new behaviors, but once learned, they become second nature.

And it is much, much easier to have a great marriage than a bad one!

I was thinking to myself: "How did I miss this thread?"
I'd never read it until today.
Then, the date told me I was in the hospital for 2 weeks when this was written.

FANTASTIC! A keeper.
Bookmarked.

W
W
Thank you Melodylane for such a great thread!! Bumping for others because I know they will also benefit from it.

Me: (BW) 45
Him: (WH)43
5 children: ages 3 - 19
DD #1 - 10/2011 PA
DD #2 - 02/2012 PA
S
S
Bump

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
F
F
Originally Posted by indiegirl
It gets irritating, because while you know this stuff is all very new to people, the reasons not to follow the plan tend to be about them, not about their marriage.

I think this is dead on, indiegirl!

During and following D-Day one feels more vulnerable than they probably ever have in their entire life. When one feels that vulnerable, it is virtually impossible to not want to protect one's self from further damage, attacks and pain.

Self-preservation is an innate drive of humans and all animals, not marriage-preservation. This is how we were designed.

This innate drive for self-preservation is what the forum should help new comers shift towards marriage preservation, not beat us to death over nature. I am certain that there are more effective and productive ways to help people overcome this enormous obstacle.

D-Day 1 - May 4, 2012

A
A
Most people start to do well with the MB program when they find a way to overcome their fear, act in spite of their fear of the future. And in nearly every case, once they act, they feel empowered and the future takes care of itself.

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
S
S
Bump!

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
S
S
Bump

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
B
B
Bump again

DDays - six months of them
THANK YOU God and Marriage Builders.
We never knew that it could be this good! smile
S
S
bump

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 672 guests, and 84 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation