Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
A
A
CV,

I pray your wife's eye problem is something easily treated.

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
C
OP Offline
C
Apparently I am the celt that cried wolf... Went to the Dr's today (just got back) and turns out the soreness is simply her doing waaay too much work. She has no infection, the transplant is healing nicely with no signs of rejection, eye pressure is good.

Guess that means she stares at her work too long? Thanks all for your prayers.

CV

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
C
OP Offline
C
On another note, I think I did something extremely foolish today....

The dr's is 2 hours away and I wanted to stop for lunch. I was feeling pretty good (almost every trigger spot I have is on the way) and decided I wanted to stop at a particular eating establishment. It was one I always wanted to eat at, but one that W and OM had lunch at. She didn't argue or put up a fight, but when we got there, I noticed her attitude had changed considerably.

Haven't seen her like this ever. I asked what was wrong and she just looked at me and then it dawned on me.... I triggered her. In three years I have never seen her triggered (or at least in my selfishness, never noticed it)!!!

I did ask her and she was completely open and honest. Told me that she usually tries to hide when she's triggered so I can heal.

We had good conversation and oddly I felt great. Not that she was devastated by this, but because I wasn't and because it lead us to talk about O&H more. How it benefits us both to have it, and why we need it between us on these things.

Even though we ended with good conversations and no AO's I'd still appreciate comments.

CV

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
T
T
Originally Posted by celticvoyager
On another note, I think I did something extremely foolish today....

The dr's is 2 hours away and I wanted to stop for lunch. I was feeling pretty good (almost every trigger spot I have is on the way) and decided I wanted to stop at a particular eating establishment. It was one I always wanted to eat at, but one that W and OM had lunch at. She didn't argue or put up a fight, but when we got there, I noticed her attitude had changed considerably.

Haven't seen her like this ever. I asked what was wrong and she just looked at me and then it dawned on me.... I triggered her. In three years I have never seen her triggered (or at least in my selfishness, never noticed it)!!!

I did ask her and she was completely open and honest. Told me that she usually tries to hide when she's triggered so I can heal.

We had good conversation and oddly I felt great. Not that she was devastated by this, but because I wasn't and because it lead us to talk about O&H more. How it benefits us both to have it, and why we need it between us on these things.

Even though we ended with good conversations and no AO's I'd still appreciate comments.

CV

How where you reacting when you told WW lets eat here and when you got to the table?

Did you trigger WW?

Or was it just WW memories triggering?

What caused WW to trigger?

H
H
I felt great. Not that she was devastated by this

Dude, let's be honest here. It does, sadly, feel great that they might be devastated. That the happy reminiscing about the addiction no longer exists, and thoughts about using are painful instead.

It's comforting.

While they might hide their pain to "help us heal," it is important that we know that they do hurt. It shows that it wasn't a shrug, sweep it under the rug, and move on.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by TheRoad
How where you reacting when you told WW lets eat here and when you got to the table?

Did you trigger WW?

Or was it just WW memories triggering?

What caused WW to trigger?

I was fine. Like I usually am. I might have inadvertently triggered her. I was asking in casual conversation and didn't notice any real change until we pulled in and sat down at the table. I think it was memories. She said later that she was so angry with herself.

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand

Dude, let's be honest here. It does, sadly, feel great that they might be devastated. That the happy reminiscing about the addiction no longer exists, and thoughts about using are painful instead.

It's comforting.

While they might hide their pain to "help us heal," it is important that we know that they do hurt. It shows that it wasn't a shrug, sweep it under the rug, and move on.

Ok. Yeah. just a little bit. well.. maybe more than a little... Healing for us in a way?

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
H
H

It's comforting.

Ok. Yeah. just a little bit. well.. maybe more than a little... Healing for us in a way?

Well, yeah.

Isn't that part of "seeing" remorse in action? Regret?

If you know, if you see, that those decisions which hurt you so bad, also hurt her... well, then you know that she "gets it."

That's a comforting thing.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

D
D
If you know, if you see, that those decisions which hurt you so bad, also hurt her... well, then you know that she "gets it."

But at the same time, many things which feel good to you feel awful for your partner. For instance, after a cathartic angry outburst most people feel great! But their spouses and children usually feel terrible.

Be careful seeking out opportunities to make your spouse feel remorseful, particularly if she's with you when she does so. MarriageBuilders is a very Pavlovian approach, and if too often your spouse feels sad when you're arround, they'll begin to associate you with feeling sad.

Doormat_No_More
(Formerly Barnboy)
Original thread lost in the forum purge of '09.
4 months after D-Day
1 year after D-Day
Two Years Later
Four Years Later
H
H
Originally Posted by Doormat_No_More

But at the same time, many things which feel good to you feel awful for your partner. For instance, after a cathartic angry outburst most people feel great! But their spouses and children usually feel terrible.

Be careful seeking out opportunities to make your spouse feel remorseful, particularly if she's with you when she does so. MarriageBuilders is a very Pavlovian approach, and if too often your spouse feels sad when you're around, they'll begin to associate you with feeling sad.

No quarrel there.

The point, however, is that seeing remorse etc from the FWS - which could quite easily be "seen" through Radical Honesty (specifically emotional honesty) - is something... centering.

As far as triggering?

I am an absolute believer and advocate for relocation. Haven't got it done myself yet, but everything right now is working towards permanent and distant relocation of our family.

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Doormat_No_More

Be careful seeking out opportunities to make your spouse feel remorseful, particularly if she's with you when she does so. MarriageBuilders is a very Pavlovian approach, and if too often your spouse feels sad when you're around, they'll begin to associate you with feeling sad.

No quarrel there.

The point, however, is that seeing remorse etc from the FWS - which could quite easily be "seen" through Radical Honesty (specifically emotional honesty) - is something... centering.

As far as triggering?

I am an absolute believer and advocate for relocation. Haven't got it done myself yet, but everything right now is working towards permanent and distant relocation of our family.

Well, had we known about relocation 3 years ago, I'd have moved to Ireland. That might've been far enough away. As it stands, there aren't many triggers (if any) here in town, and OM1 & 2 left town. I have applied for jobs cross country and we'll see. The trigger spot in question is over half hour away where most of her last A took place and we rarely have reason to go by there unless it's for her eye (which also locks us here for another 10 months. But we are both hoping to move once the gets get their wings spread a bit... in the next year or so...

CV

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
G
G
Y'mean you won't miss this place, CV?
--smog (& now earthquakes) without palm trees?
--tropical torrential downpours, without a beach in sight?
--solid months of humidity so high it makes people's contact lenses slip off their corneas?
We've probably got a dormant volcano around here somewhere just waiting to erupt...

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by GloveOil
Y'mean you won't miss this place, CV?
--smog (& now earthquakes) without palm trees?
--tropical torrential downpours, without a beach in sight?
--solid months of humidity so high it makes people's contact lenses slip off their corneas?
We've probably got a dormant volcano around here somewhere just waiting to erupt...

Lol.. you forgot mudslides and fires too! We actually get a few tornadoes in our neck of the woods!

Man we must be fairly close in proximity... I'm bout 30min s. of q-town...

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
C
OP Offline
C
Tonight has been a weird night.

It is an anniversary of sorts... It is the day 4 years ago that W and OM became an item (of sorts)... To top it off, we led a MB book discussion on HNHN. I thought I'd be triggered but I'm not.

This is the first year i haven't been triggered.

Just wanted to share...

CV

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
K
K
That means you've come a long way... hurray

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by karmasrose
That means you've come a long way... hurray

That's what I am thinking.

When do you enter that final phase from recovery to recovered?

Let's say that restitution is being provided, but it is no longer required. It is continued because it is voluntary. forgiveness is finally offered by the BS.. Is that recovered?

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
M
M
I hope to be as grounded in my recovery as you are at your point post dday.

Im finding a woman working on her recovery from her A is special. If she is sincere and follows her husbands expectations and demands and allows her husband to meet her missing needs, then the marriage indeed can be great after everything.

There are dozens of things me and her are doing (non-SF stuff, mind you) we havent prior. We talk like never before. Eye to eye, no TV, no kids, just her and I talking about things I never had interest in. We walk all the time holding hands. We have gone on coffee dates to Starbucks, just to be alone. We make plans, committments, goals. All things we never really did.

CV, youve been a big help to me so Im glad you are in the place you are with your wife.

Life keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping into the fuuuu-ture.
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by MikeStillSmiling
I hope to be as grounded in my recovery as you are at your point post dday.

Im finding a woman working on her recovery from her A is special. If she is sincere and follows her husbands expectations and demands and allows her husband to meet her missing needs, then the marriage indeed can be great after everything.

There are dozens of things me and her are doing (non-SF stuff, mind you) we havent prior. We talk like never before. Eye to eye, no TV, no kids, just her and I talking about things I never had interest in. We walk all the time holding hands. We have gone on coffee dates to Starbucks, just to be alone. We make plans, committments, goals. All things we never really did.

CV, youve been a big help to me so Im glad you are in the place you are with your wife.

Thanks. We find ourselves doing many of the same things (we actually have been doing them the last three years, but time is getting more difficult to manage since the kids are getting older).

I am still amazed at the depth of the change. In both of us. But you are right, the recovering FWW *IS* special... Maybe even more special than before. So many things we took for granted are now staring us in the face as opportunities. I never, ever, want to forget that.

CV

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
F
F
I don�t know if the poster:
Stunned-dad-fast recovering has been mentioned in this thread. He is very relevant to the topic of the thread title. His wife was a sexually abused when she grew up. Stunned-dad later left his profession to study to become a MC. He is a MB success story.

His first post:
http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/u...;Main=53631&Number=562222#Post562222

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Frank57
I don�t know if the poster:
Stunned-dad-fast recovering has been mentioned in this thread. He is very relevant to the topic of the thread title. His wife was a sexually abused when she grew up. Stunned-dad later left his profession to study to become a MC. He is a MB success story.

His first post:
http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/u...;Main=53631&Number=562222#Post562222

Frank,

thanks for this. nice post. Oddly enough, I have been taking counseling classes as well!

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (jah), 137 guests, and 52 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ardent Center, Lost@1969, Jmoor9090, Confused1980, Bibbyryan860
71,843 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation