Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
M
You know, I have never been hit by a car! Think I will go play chicken!! laugh

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

C
C
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

wait!! Aquanet doesn't provide a buffer against oncoming cars? (ducking) cool

seriously though, the logic is spot on

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
H
H
Originally Posted by kerala
Define "regular contact". YOU said "move several states away."

Would you also like to know what the definition of "is" is?

You've been on this forum 2 years longer than I have, let me know what you think "constant contact" is.

Or, you could simply read the threads here in SAA and SEE what it is, and what happens...

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
M
M
Originally Posted by celticvoyager

I AM SUPER TEXAN!! grin

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

C
C

I AM SUPER TEXAN!! grin

Aren't all texans? you must mean super-super texan!

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
K
K
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand

You've been on this forum 2 years longer than I have, let me know what you think "constant contact" is.

Or, you could simply read the threads here in SAA and SEE what it is, and what happens...

Whatever buddy. You're the one who keeps moving the goalposts.

C
C
[

According to your theory the best course once married is to relocate to a remote location. The safest course would be to avoid contact with people altogether.

***looking around the room at all the bodies*** think This forum is chock full of affairs that began as a) opposite sex friendships and/or b) renewed contact with an OLD BF/GF.

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
"I will leave you with another important point. I've already expressed my conviction that after an affair is over, there should be no contact between a spouse and his or her lover. But there is a related issue that is often ignored. When you marry, neither you nor your spouse should have any contact with any of your previous lovers. Anyone that you've ever loved is a temptation for you, and has the potential of re-igniting your feelings of love."

here

This got me thinking about... well... me. We married young, and my W is the ONLY person I have ever been in love with. So I got to thinking... How does that fit in this scenario... I never loved any of my past girlfriends. Does that mean never work with them or move? No. so what does it mean? It means you treat past girlfriends/boyfriends/attractions the same as if there was love there. At least the way i understand this.

It's the idea of erring on the side of caution. Especially when recovering from infidelity. guarding your heart to the max. I may not have to move several states away, but I certainly want to do all I can to avoid people I have past history with. Why? because it's smart for my marriage. It makes my spouse feel safe. because something even as simple as a fond remembrance risks the potential to grow into something more. and that is dangerous.

Even if there was not something there to "re-ignite", you don't want to run the risk of ignition.

CV (whose gears are churning a bit slow today)

Last edited by celticvoyager; 02/01/12 06:32 PM. Reason: spelling geneeus

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
H
H

Whatever buddy. You're the one who keeps moving the goalposts.

Mmmhmmmm, even though the post referred to "working with an ex."

But, you know... I'm "moving the goalposts."

So, what is your competing "theory?" What data supports it?

FYI; Dr. Harley (as well as several other marriage experts whom I will decline to mention out of respect to our venue) built their "theories" on the study of successful marriages - what went right.

Want to know what was common across the board? That in lasting, Romantic marriages, both spouses would rather spend ALL of their time with each other than ANY time with anyone else.

So, put me in a straight jacket and give me an enema, but - yes - I believe more marriages would flourish if they moved far, far away from familiarity.

Last edited by HoldHerHand; 02/01/12 06:41 PM.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
M
M
[
This got me thinking about... well... me. We married young, and my W is the ONLY person I have ever been in love with. So I got to thinking... How does that fit in this scenario... I never loved any of my past girlfriends. Does that mean never work with them or move? No. so what does it mean? It means you treat past girlfriends/boyfriends/attractions the same as if there was love there. At least the way i understand this.

Exactly. Dr Harley and Mrs Harley discuss this issue about once a week - sometimes twice - on the radio show and the litmus test is "past BF/GF," not whether you were in love or not. If you liked the person well enough to go out with them in the past, those same feelings can be rekindled in the future.

Exposure 101

S
S

My dh and I spoke extensively about this topic tonight. I read the thread to him. We are actually feeling good about our handling of this unfortunate situation. I do know Dr. Harley says >When you marry, neither you nor your spouse should have any contact with any of your previous lovers.> I guess the question is to what extent do we go to avoid ANY contact? My dh is certainly not 'seeking' contact and goes out of his way to avoid contact. He certainly won't be chatting her up, or emailing her, or taking her to lunch. As it is, in 6 weeks time he has had 2 sightings of her. Is that 'contact'?

My dh has a long history of marital fidelity. We talked extensively about that tonight also. He knows EXACTLY how to exercise extraordinary precautions...he did it all through his marriage and he remained faithful to his now XW as a result.

I've written an email to the radio show asking how Dr. Harley would advise in this situation.

M
M
Originally Posted by SmilingWoman
[I guess the question is to what extent do we go to avoid ANY contact? My dh is certainly not 'seeking' contact and goes out of his way to avoid contact. He certainly won't be chatting her up, or emailing her, or taking her to lunch. As it is, in 6 weeks time he has had 2 sightings of her. Is that 'contact'?

I don't know how Dr Harley will answer, but in my view, you and your husband are doing all the right things. He doesn't have a friendship with her and understands why this would be a problem. He has told you honestly who the potential foxes in the henhouse are so you are informed and prepared.

It's not in the same category as an affair partner, where we are dealing with an addiction that is TRIGGERED by a mere sighting. He wasn't addicted to her to begin with.

Like I said, Dr H might feel differently but that is my perspective.

Exposure 101

S
S
[I guess the question is to what extent do we go to avoid ANY contact? My dh is certainly not 'seeking' contact and goes out of his way to avoid contact. He certainly won't be chatting her up, or emailing her, or taking her to lunch. As it is, in 6 weeks time he has had 2 sightings of her. Is that 'contact'?

I don't know how Dr Harley will answer, but in my view, you and your husband are doing all the right things. He doesn't have a friendship with her and understands why this would be a problem. He has told you honestly who the potential foxes in the henhouse are so you are informed and prepared.

It's not in the same category as an affair partner, where we are dealing with an addiction that is TRIGGERED by a mere sighting. He wasn't addicted to her to begin with.

Thank you. I appreciate that.

The 2nd sighting was today. He was already in the kitchen, making coffee, when she came in. There were other people in the room. She said, 'excuse me.' He said, 'No problem.' He finished his coffee making job, grabbed his cup and left. There was no eye contact.

He told me tonight that if he was asked to be on a project with her he would ask to be excused from that. He also told me he would take a lesser paying job to not have to work in the same building with her. I asked him how often she 'comes into his mind' (not as a temptation but as an 'issue'). He said, 'Only when I go to get coffee.' (so give up coffee? :))

So. We feel ok. Neither of us has done anything 'wrong' that requires 'just compensation.'

I know I would feel TOTALLY different if this had been an affair.

V
V
He said, 'Only when I go to get coffee.' (so give up coffee? :))

I love my DH dearly. However, I rank coffee right behind breathing. MrRollieEyes

If he doesn't want to frequent the coffee room he could get a desk size coffee maker, one of my cell mates has one she uses. I have a very nice pot size french press and an electric tea kettle so I never have to venture away from my desk to make coffee. My press won't keep the coffee warm, but it makes heavenly coffee.

HHH - I have to say living far away from family and friends certainly makes a marriage stronger. It's done wonders for us the past two years.

Me: 30
Him: 39
Together 5 years
Married the very best man in the world 04/06/2013 after being common law for too long. I'm a lucky woman.
7 Cats - Viscount Ashley of Leftfield, Pawkie Petunia, The Timinator, Leo the Lionheart, Fruit Snack, Cloud, and Barret
And our very lucky pony, Starbucks
T
T
Hello helpforlost,

I think that most of us have wondered about this - the possibility of an affair through our married lives. So, I don't think there is any way to 'muck up' a feeling or explanation of this. But, none of us could honestly say that we could never be tempted.

My wife used to tease me about how sexy Tom Jones (the singer) was among a couple of others. She also commented ocasionally on hearing from a friend of hers that I was attractive. So, we both knew neither of us were excatly Neandrathals in terms of being attractive or attracted to others. Point is, I am very fortunate that I married someone who respected her vows. And I did and to to as a Catholic. This 'boundaries' concept is a bunch of 'crap' basically. If you do not respect your vows (promises) those boundaries do not matter!

Tom

H
OP Offline
H
Tom,

I disagree that boundaries don�t matter. In an ideal world you�re right. But we don�t live in an ideal world and we�re hard wired to cheat.

I�m a man. I notice attractive women. The difference is that I don�t linger. I don�t dwell. I don�t seek to have �friendly� conversations. Everywhere I�ve worked, especially here in DC, I have found chock full of very attractive and intelligent women.

So boundaries must be in place at all times. I don�t do it because I�m afraid I�ll cheat. I do it because I wish to respect my wife and talking to any of these women outside of a professional context would be disrespectful to her.

So I honor my vows, but I also avoid any temptation. It�s easy to do when all is well in a marriage. The boundaries are set in place for when they�re not so great and the temptation would be higher.

S
S

I sent an email to Joyce and it was read and answered on today's radio program. smile

B
B

I sent an email to Joyce and it was read and answered on today's radio program. smile

SmilingWoman,

So are you and your DH going to take Dr. Harley's advice and have him look for another job?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 258 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation