Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 81 of 107 1 2 79 80 81 82 83 106 107
S
S
Originally Posted by GJM
Originally Posted by johnstwin
Hi GJM-

When my FXH left us, my DD was getting married, my OS was starting college and my YS was starting high school. Then I found out I had breast cancer...

One thing that my IC (who was also my YS's IC) said that helped me was this: "Your YS knows that he is deeply loved. You can survive a lot when you know you are deeply loved. "

He was right.

Hang in there-

I worry that my children don't know just how loved they are. It stresses me out because I enforce a lot of rules on the children and hold them accountable for everything they do. I just hope they know I do it for them.

Oh GJM, this IS a parent's love. I tell my children all of the time, when they say, "But so and so is allowed to go XXPLACE and not call his mom." I say, "Yes, but I love you, so I want to make sure YOU are safe." They know. Kids need rules and boundaries, and even more right now.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
M
M
Gunny, what Scotland is saying is true. During our mess, I was the guy setting rules, taking them to school, making sure homework was done, etc.

At my wife's place, it was about watching movies and eating ice cream.

At first, I was like "how can I compete with movies and ice cream when I have to enforce all of this?"

But my kids now, years later, turn to me constantly. And sometimes my wife is saddened by that...as they tend to come to me, especially on the hard things.

Unfortunately for her, this is a consequence of what happened. But in my case, it does verify what I did for them...and that they indeed noticed.

Standing in His Presence

FBS (me) (48)
FWW (41)
Married April 1993...
4 kids (19(B), 17(G), 14(B), 4(B))
Blessed by God more than I deserve
"If Jesus is your co-pilot...you need to change seats!"

Link: The Roles of Husbands and Wives
M
M
Originally Posted by Mortarman
Gunny, what Scotland is saying is true. During our mess, I was the guy setting rules, taking them to school, making sure homework was done, etc.

At first, I was like "how can I compete with movies and ice cream when I have to enforce all of this?"

But my kids now, years later, turn to me constantly. And sometimes my wife is saddened by that...as they tend to come to me, especially on the hard things.

Unfortunately for her, this is a consequence of what happened. But in my case, it does verify what I did for them...and that they indeed noticed.

MM, what an encouraging post. I've had similar thoughts as GJM because my WxW spoils our DD with all sorts of things as if to be trying to buy her way out of all that she's done.

At Christmas, I bought DD a book called "Our Together-time Bible" with 52 children's devotional stories. I figured I would teach her biblical principles whether WxW did or not. And guess, what? She absolutely loves the time we spend reading and discussing the stories. When she's with me, she makes sure to point out that we have a story to read before she goes to bed (its not like I would forget).

I guess the moral of the story is just be the best parent you can be. Teach your kids right and wrong. Teach them about life. They will notice and appreciate it.

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
DDay - Early November 2010
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

1 Corinthians 13:7: (LOVE) Beareth all things, believeth all things, HOPETH all things, endureth all things.
G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by marksaysay

MM, what an encouraging post. I've had similar thoughts as GJM because my WxW spoils our DD with all sorts of things as if to be trying to buy her way out of all that she's done.

At Christmas, I bought DD a book called "Our Together-time Bible" with 52 children's devotional stories. I figured I would teach her biblical principles whether WxW did or not. And guess, what? She absolutely loves the time we spend reading and discussing the stories. When she's with me, she makes sure to point out that we have a story to read before she goes to bed (its not like I would forget).

I guess the moral of the story is just be the best parent you can be. Teach your kids right and wrong. Teach them about life. They will notice and appreciate it.

That devotional book is a great idea! I take my kids to church and every time I pick them up, the first thing they ask is about going. My S12 brought a book home from church that he took to Christian club at school. What's the name of the book you bought?

Me: BH 36
Her: WW 34
Kids: D 14, S 12, S 9
DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
Filed for D 10/2011-Papers Served 11/2011
Divorce final May 24, 2012
My Story

M
M
Its called "Our Together-time Bible" and its geared towards the younger kids (DD is 8). I'm sure there are similar books for all ages. Go to your local Christian book store and just look around. I'm sure you could find something.

Here's a funny story regarding this devotional time from just this week...

After I picked DD up, we were talking and she ends up telling me that she tells her classmates at lunch everyday that her mom is coming to keep a seat open for her best friend. I then started discussing with her about lying and that she not telling the truth. She said they were not allowed to save seats so she used her story. I told her it was wrong and that I wanted her to stop it immediately. She said okay.

So we get to my apartment and she wants to look in the book to see what our story was gonna be about (we have our place bookmarked). It was about telling the truth. When she read it, you should have seen the look on her face. That couldn't have happened at a more opportune time. It was great!

Last edited by marksaysay; 02/03/12 01:57 AM.

BS - Me 36
WS - wife 34
Married 10 yrs
DDay - Early November 2010
WS filed Divorce 11/9/10
Divorce final 12/22/11

1 Corinthians 13:7: (LOVE) Beareth all things, believeth all things, HOPETH all things, endureth all things.
C
C
Its called "Our Together-time Bible" and its geared towards the younger kids (DD is 8). I'm sure there are similar books for all ages. Go to your local Christian book store and just look around. I'm sure you could find something.

After I picked DD up, we were talking and she ends up telling me that she tells her classmates at lunch everyday that her mom is coming to keep a seat open for her best friend. I then started discussing with her about lying and that she not telling the truth. She said they were not allowed to save seats so she used her story. I told her it was wrong and that I wanted her to stop it immediately. She said okay.

So we get to my apartment and she wants to look in the book to see what our story was gonna be about (we have our place bookmarked). It was about telling the truth. When she read it, you should have seen the look on her face. That couldn't have happened at a more opportune time. It was great!

I think Mark's idea is a great one for that age. Our kids loved bedtime stories and now that they are young adults talk about it quite frequently and have fond memories... Used to make up stories for them too (the ballad of Lulu the cow was one). Much more important than a present, what you are leaving them is life memories, a legacy, that they will likely impart to their kids.

We also used to catechize the kids. There is a great little christian catechism called the Children's catechism we used too. Not bedtime stuff though... We did that in the car.

Cv

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
S
S
GJM - I'm actively reading your thread - up to pg 115. There are some comments I want to make, but I'm going to wait until I catch up.

Me: 49
WW: 45
Married almost 23 years
Together 26+ years
DS18
DD15
D-Day: 7/28/11
Separated: 11/18/11
WW filed for D on 2/14/12 (3 days after near full exposure)
D final: 9/17/12
G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G

The good lord doing his work. Gotta love it!

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by stillwaiting1963
GJM - I'm actively reading your thread - up to pg 115. There are some comments I want to make, but I'm going to wait until I catch up.

I'm not going anywhere...take your time.

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

S
S
Originally Posted by GJM
This is the first year since 1997 that I didn't bring in the new year with my WW. I didn't think it would be a big deal, but it hurt not spending it with her.

1986 for me. And you're right, hurt like hell.

Married almost 23 years
Together 26+ years
DS18
DD15
G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by GJM
This is the first year since 1997 that I didn't bring in the new year with my WW. I didn't think it would be a big deal, but it hurt not spending it with her.

1986 for me. And you're right, hurt like hell.

I called her that night and we both cried.

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

S
S
Ok, I have 40 pages to go in your story and I will stay up late to finish it, but I have to ask you something right now - because I've noticed that you go back and forth between Plan A and Plan D.

Are you still in plan A even though you filed?

Married almost 23 years
Together 26+ years
DS18
DD15
S
S
Originally Posted by GJM
Even though I did a slight F/U, I didn't do it angrily. I said it matter-of-factly. I showed her that although I am a nice guy, I have limits. It was good enough for an apology and a hug. I think some times people need to stand up for themselves. I needed to show her that yes, I'm still a man. I still deserve to be treated with common decency. The constant apologies sound redundant and I'm sure she gets tired of hearing them. If I was constantly taking the F/U approach, I can see where I would be wrong. I merely took a small stand and it payed off.

I agree with you 100% GJM.

Married almost 23 years
Together 26+ years
DS18
DD15
G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Ok, I have 40 pages to go in your story and I will stay up late to finish it, but I have to ask you something right now - because I've noticed that you go back and forth between Plan A and Plan D.

Are you still in plan A even though you filed?

Yes still in Plan A...better than ever. I have gotten her to at least go places with me at times. I didn't want to file for divorce, but I felt it necessary because I didn't want her to cake eat too much. Had I not been in the military, I wouldn't have filed at all. It was a gamble I had to take.

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

T
T
Hello GJM,

I requested a move of my story to MB101 because my post that you responded to does not involve an ongoing affair at all. My wife had a relationship with some guy in one of the nursing homes back a couple of years ago but I realize it was because she felt abandoned at the time. My situation involves physical separation. When I came on here a couple of years ago it just honestly felt good to get some support in my situation. I realize my sit is different so is why I am looking to find another more specific support.

All I can say GJm is thanks for even your comment! I wish you the best. Sometimes maybe, no matter what faith you are, just maybe before you fall asleep recite 'hail Mary" a couple of times. you never know.

Tom

G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Tom2010
Hello GJM,

I requested a move of my story to MB101 because my post that you responded to does not involve an ongoing affair at all. My wife had a relationship with some guy in one of the nursing homes back a couple of years ago but I realize it was because she felt abandoned at the time. My situation involves physical separation. When I came on here a couple of years ago it just honestly felt good to get some support in my situation. I realize my sit is different so is why I am looking to find another more specific support.

All I can say GJm is thanks for even your comment! I wish you the best. Sometimes maybe, no matter what faith you are, just maybe before you fall asleep recite 'hail Mary" a couple of times. you never know.

Tom

Thanks Tom! I wish you the best smile

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

S
S
All I ask now is two things. Number one is that His will be done, not mine. And number two, that he shows me walls and doors. Walls and doors are nothing but this...

In the Bible, it says that He is a lamp unto our feet. What does that mean? Well, in that day, the lamp they were talking about was a lamp with a candle in it...illuminating the path of a traveller at night. Well, how far does a candle illuminate? Not too far! Maybe a few steps in front of you.

But I have NO IDEA what lies down the road. It might be a dead end. It might be a cliff. I have no clue. And that is the point! When I pray "walls and doors," I am saying to Him "Jesus, I can only see a few steps in front. I am trusting you. So, I will pray for you to show me walls and doors. If the path I am on, if the decision I am making is not YOUR will, then please put a wall in front of me so I dont go over the cliff. If it is your will, then show me a door to go through."

Since I have done that...since I have relinguished my will to control my path...guess what? I have gotten walls and doors.

So, when I have designs to do something...but then it just seems to be getting harder and harder to do...and I cant get it done...I look up and ask "is this a wall?" And I quickly find out that even though I wanted to do this thing, it wasnt His will. And so I thank him, make a left or right face (or even an about face sometimes)...and we continue.

My relationship with Christ is one of beginnings. He walks with me. At times I stumble. But instead of laughing at me, or admonishing me, He just reaches down, picks me up, dusts me off...and we begin again. One foot in front of the other.

This is where you need to get to. You CANNOT control what is going on in the foxhole next to you. All you can do is concentrate on what is between your sector stakes...and let God handle the rest.

One last thing...my favorite general of all time once said "Wisdom is nothing more than healed pain." General Robert E. Lee

You are about to become VERY wise.

MM, what you wrote is incredible. I choked up several times trying to read through this. I'm saving this off to read over and over as I fight this battle.

As I progress through GJM's thread, the advice everyone gives him, is also dramatically helping me. It is true that waywards all follow the same script. Humans only have so many emotions, pieces to a puzzle if you will. Even though the pieces are the same, it's how the wayward puts the puzzle together that keeps us guessing.

Married almost 23 years
Together 26+ years
DS18
DD15
G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
All I ask now is two things. Number one is that His will be done, not mine. And number two, that he shows me walls and doors. Walls and doors are nothing but this...

In the Bible, it says that He is a lamp unto our feet. What does that mean? Well, in that day, the lamp they were talking about was a lamp with a candle in it...illuminating the path of a traveller at night. Well, how far does a candle illuminate? Not too far! Maybe a few steps in front of you.

But I have NO IDEA what lies down the road. It might be a dead end. It might be a cliff. I have no clue. And that is the point! When I pray "walls and doors," I am saying to Him "Jesus, I can only see a few steps in front. I am trusting you. So, I will pray for you to show me walls and doors. If the path I am on, if the decision I am making is not YOUR will, then please put a wall in front of me so I dont go over the cliff. If it is your will, then show me a door to go through."

Since I have done that...since I have relinguished my will to control my path...guess what? I have gotten walls and doors.

So, when I have designs to do something...but then it just seems to be getting harder and harder to do...and I cant get it done...I look up and ask "is this a wall?" And I quickly find out that even though I wanted to do this thing, it wasnt His will. And so I thank him, make a left or right face (or even an about face sometimes)...and we continue.

My relationship with Christ is one of beginnings. He walks with me. At times I stumble. But instead of laughing at me, or admonishing me, He just reaches down, picks me up, dusts me off...and we begin again. One foot in front of the other.

This is where you need to get to. You CANNOT control what is going on in the foxhole next to you. All you can do is concentrate on what is between your sector stakes...and let God handle the rest.

One last thing...my favorite general of all time once said "Wisdom is nothing more than healed pain." General Robert E. Lee

You are about to become VERY wise.

MM, what you wrote is incredible. I choked up several times trying to read through this. I'm saving this off to read over and over as I fight this battle.

As I progress through GJM's thread, the advice everyone gives him, is also dramatically helping me. It is true that waywards all follow the same script. Humans only have so many emotions, pieces to a puzzle if you will. Even though the pieces are the same, it's how the wayward puts the puzzle together that keeps us guessing.

Actually SW, it's quite the opposite. The WS removes pieces of the puzzle. They leave it up to us to try to put it back together. We search everywhere for those pieces. It takes time, but one piece here and there is found until you eventually have the picture you knew was there all along. The WS has taken the main pieces with them and threw pieces of other puzzles in the pile for you to try and make them fit.

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

S
S
Good point - and they turned the pieces upside down to boot!

Married almost 23 years
Together 26+ years
DS18
DD15
J
J
GJM,

I will keep you and your family in my prayers. I have been following this thread closely, and I have learned so much from the respondents and from you. Much of what I've read has been helpful in my situation.

You, sir, have done a good job in your Plan A from this lay person's perspective.

Page 81 of 107 1 2 79 80 81 82 83 106 107

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 600 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation