Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
B
[Linked Image from freesmileys.org]

Me - 44
DW - 39
Married 16 years
DS10
DS6
DD4
C
C
Originally Posted by GloveOil
Originally Posted by celticvoyager
...For example, what if I disagree with his article on unconditional love?...
Just to stir the pot further, if unconditional love makes it likelier that a sinner will persist in sin when conditionality might offer better odds of prompting a sinner (or one predisposed to sin) to stop in his/her tracks, is conditional love better than unconditional? (Not suggesting I know the answer... just kinda being ornery...)

I guess it depends how we are talking. See, the historic Reformed position would answer this by saying that this is all dependent on the work of the Holy Spirit, either by way of salvation or through common grace.

The historic Reformed view posits that while it is the Spirit that draws (John 6:44 and other passages), that it is the means (people, events, situations, all that stuff) that God uses to accomplish his means. It's a tight-rope to be sure. For the Reformed Christian, walking one way means falling into arminianism/semi-pelagianism (historically speaking), or falling off into hyper-calvinism (not me after 10 cups of coffee).

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
C
C
"You see, I can't wrap my mind around how God can know all, and at the same time that all would not then be pre-determined. If an omniscient God already knows every decision you will ever make, then you cannot ever possibly make another decision other than that which is already known - thus free will does not exist."

How about thinking of it like God is the author of a create-your-own-adventure book? So He knows all the outcomes, but you can choose to turn the page, or skip to chapter fourteen. The end of the story is already written, but the one you get is determined by your choices along the way.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
H
H
Originally Posted by CWMI
"You see, I can't wrap my mind around how God can know all, and at the same time that all would not then be pre-determined. If an omniscient God already knows every decision you will ever make, then you cannot ever possibly make another decision other than that which is already known - thus free will does not exist."

How about thinking of it like God is the author of a create-your-own-adventure book? So He knows all the outcomes, but you can choose to turn the page, or skip to chapter fourteen. The end of the story is already written, but the one you get is determined by your choices along the way.

Luckily, I am just the right age to know EXACTLY what books you are talking about! :p

Outside of that... I follow what you are trying to say, but my understanding of an all-knowing, all-powerful God is thus; he cannot lie, as anything he speaks comes into being, thus anything he knows cannot happen any other way. Knowing all means he knows everything, down to the exact position of every electron on every atom in the universe at the precise moment you finish reading this sentence.

It was known I would type the previous sentence, and this sentence explaining it, and any sentence following it.

Each thought and feeling I have had constructing the post was known.

Because all of those things were known, none of them could have occurred in any other way than precisely as they happened.

Because those things were to occur, exactly as they had, any choice in the matter is an illusion of the flesh, and the fleshly mind.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
L
L
Road's Questions:
Originally Posted by TheRoad
1) Is it right for a WS to take the easy way and have an affair?

2)Is it right for a BS to take the easy way and refuse forgiveness?

3) Is it right for the BS that refused to meet their WS needs before the affair to fight to recover their marraige?

4)Is it right for the WS that refused to fight to fix their marriage before the affair to fight for recovery?
Ladyp8riot's Answers:
1) No. ..."AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH; so they are no longer two, but one flesh." Mark 10:8

2) No. "And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins." Mark 11:25

3) Yes.�If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses..." Matthew 18:15-17

4)Yes. �Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable �if anything is excellent or praiseworthy �think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me �put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.� Philippians 4:8-9

�A forgiveness ought to be like a canceled note, torn in two and burned up, so that it can never be shown against the man. � ~ Henry Ward Beecher

�Forgiveness is an act of the will, and the will can function regardless of the temperature of the heart.� ~ Corrie Ten Boom

�Man has two great spiritual needs. One is for forgiveness. The other is for goodness.� ~ Billy Graham

�Forgiving and being forgiven are two names for the same thing. The important thing is that a discord has been resolved.� ~ C.S. Lewis

�To err is human, to forgive, divine.� ~ Alexander Pope

Last edited by LoveIsaChoice4Me; 02/08/12 07:27 AM.

"Now is the time for all good MB Veterans to come to the aid of their MB Rookies!"
T
T
CV,

Road has to be rolling her eyes on responses to this topic. Free will DNE predestination!

Tom

C
C
Originally Posted by Tom2010
CV,

Road has to be rolling her eyes on responses to this topic. Free will DNE predestination!

Tom

lol! What can I say?!?! I was an old school Augustinian catholic before I was a presbyterian!

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
L
L
CV,

Tom

lol! What can I say?!?! I was an old school Augustinian catholic before I was a presbyterian!
We go to an Evangelical Presbyterian Church...
http://www.epc.org/about-the-epc/beliefs/

"Now is the time for all good MB Veterans to come to the aid of their MB Rookies!"
C
C
Originally Posted by LoveIsaChoice4Me
CV,

Tom

We go to an Evangelical Presbyterian Church...
http://www.epc.org/about-the-epc/beliefs/

We are in the OPC. Very familiar with the EPC pastor here in our town. very godly man.

Celtic Voyager
Married 22+ years
3 young adult children

"A story of me"
T
TheRoad Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Was not looking for a religious discussion.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 612 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation