Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2603408 03/07/12 03:02 PM
P
OP Offline
P
So I'm starting my own thread. Here are the comments from the other one that I hijacked. If you have anything to add, please do so.

Originally Posted by Milkshake
Hey, it's March now...your 'date' is coming up!

I just talked to my 'friend' and he's looking forward to our 'date' which makes me apprehensive. It's not really a date because I told him I'm paying for myself. I just don't want to expect too much from it you know?

That's okay, no or little expectation is good at this stage. For me, now I think about it, when I had little expectation, the 'date' turned into a 'relationship' often. Weird. Just go out and have fun! You so deserve it.

Originally Posted by Greengables
Prissana,
You may offer to pay for yourself, but you must not insist on it.
Usually, I pull out my wallet, and usually, the man says he's got it. I say "Are you sure?" He says yes, and we're done.

It often goes the same way with my girlfriends, but I will argue a bit more with them, and say next time is my treat. People like to treat. It's fun.

And even if it does turn into something more, and he's old-fashioned and won't let you pay ever, you can always cook a fabulous dinner, or magically come up with two tickets to his favorite sports team.

Originally Posted by Kay
Right now I'm "under-employed" meaning I'm only working part time and NEED to be working FT. I can't afford eating out, etc. but if a friend or sister wants to treat me, there's other ways I can "take my turn", like fixing them a homemade meal or pie.

MS, I can't get over the change in your thinking, it wasn't that long ago and I was telling YOU to just go have fun (with date) and now you're telling Prissana that. smile

Me (BS): 41
Ex (lying cheating piece of dirt): 43
Kids: 12 DD, 6 DS
Married 17 years
I filed: 9/25/10
Divorce final: 10/4/11
He remarried: 10/15/11

My current status: Healing a little more every day!
P
OP Offline
P
Oh crap. So I can't be stubborn and pay my way? I don't want to get in a fight but I'd rather him not pay to begin with anyway because it's NOT a date! We are just two friends helping each other through the loneliness I think. I'm not sure what we are really.

I suppose I can say next time is my treat. That would be perfect. I have a bad feeling he's old-fashioned. I don't even know where we are going. It's going to be a short meal because we are going after church and then he has a meeting. He planned it that way so I would be eased into this thing. He's very sweet and considerate. But now I've already started worrying about the next step. It's taken us 2 months to get to this step. lol

Since ya'll are being so helpful, let me ask this. He is dating a lady in another town but they are also free to date other ppl. He told me a few weeks ago she was fixing to go out with someone else. OK, I don't have any romantic interest in him (and hope I don't cause right now I just need a friend of the opposite sex) so would it be OK to talk about his relationship with her if it came up right? He's been open and honest about her from the beginning. He knows about my crush and he knows that I'm a fruitcake (and he still wants to go to lunch think ). Or what should we talk about? I want to get more info on his job so I think that's safe. I would like to know what exactly he does (he's my ex-husband's boss - hahahaha! Ya'll didn't see that one coming did you?) because he stays on the go 24/7. I would have thought he had a cushy job. Work with me here.

Also, any tips on not reading too much into this would be helpful. Actually I don't think I am going to read too much into it but ... ya'll have seen my mind in action.

Married 17 years

P
OP Offline
P
No, you can't be stubborn. Consider it "being gracious." And my friends and I rarely split the bill. We take turns treating. So, if he insists on treating, it could be because he's a friend and that's what he feels comfortable with.

Ask about work. Ask about hobbies. Do not ask about the lady he is dating in the other town unless he brings her up first.

And most importantly, in the words of my late husband, "Don't over think it." Believe it or not, that phrase helped.

As for the next step... The next step is just that you have lunch. The step after that is IF you both have fun, you MAY do it again. That's it.

Really? Hmm, I think it depends. IF he and the other lady were just �dating�, then it is no different than us going through multiple dates without any commitment in the early stage (screening stage). But if he told you about this lady in PARTICULAR, it kind of sounds like they were more than just dates� if they were more than just casual dates, and were more like boyfriend/girlfriend � then what they are doing is having an �open� relationship.

I don�t want to discourage you with my bad example, but remember my friend? He was pursuing me for years, but he had a GF and told me it�s casual (or worse he said she was a fall-back plan in case I never accept his offer), yet now he told her he wants to marry?? I hope your friend, who is a boss of your XH, is not trying to take advantage of you, knowing that you and XH are divorced.

I am not going to use the term �red flag�, as I have missed a whole bunch of them when I was married to XH and was in a relationship with XBF, so I feel I have not earned the degree to use this term yet, but still, the fact he is the boss of your XH�.., it sounds fishy. Hopefully others with more experience, those with the masters� degrees in screening out red flags can give you their insight.

MS, you may be right. OR it could be that this guy values P, and knows that in order to keep her friendship, let alone developing anything more, he needs to be 110% open and honest.

Plus, I don't think unless people are physically intimate, I don't think a non-exclusive dating relationship is the same as an open relationship. Non-exclusive would suggest that they haven't made any sort of commitment to each other.

Regardless, it's just lunch and it's just friends. If more developes, you can ask around and find out more about him.

True. That's what I was worried about - that he says he and this lady are just dating, but if they are more than just dating... But it's just lunch, and the fact he waited this long to have lunch..., maybe he does have good intention and I am being overly concerned here.

Married 17 years

P
OP Offline
P
I'm not worried about this guy at all. He is TRUE BLUE through and through. He's the type you wanna take home to your family and the type you don't mind your kids getting to know (actually my kids know him well - my ex lived with him the first 9 months of our separation). He's not using me at all. To begin with I was afraid I was using him to get over my crush. I'm not a user. I didn't like that feeling so I wanted to make sure hence part of the reason it's taken us so long to get together. We really both want a pal of the opposite sex in our town you know?

His 'friend' lives in another town and neither are willing to move but they have a connection so they haven't broken it off. I've known about her from the beginning. I've told him how crazy I thought he was for wanting to date other ppl. We have a good friendship. He doesn't want to get serious about anyone before he has healed. He knows what a basket case I am. He is known throughout the community as a wonderful person. No worries here.

We were acquaintances before me and DH split. I had always heard wonderful things about him. He is actually my cousin's boss as well and she has nothing but good to say. My ex moved in with him after we split until he moved in with his girlfriend/now wife. B told my cousin that he totally understood why I was divorcing ex and that he wanted to talk to me about the situation but didn't want to cause problems. He said the only reason he had let ex live there so long was so that my kids would have a good place to live when they were with him but he didn't know that he could continue letting him live there even for that reason. Can anyone say psycho ex? lol That's when our real friendship started. He is just a good guy. I don't think I have any real worries though because I'm not physically attracted to him - I know he swoons when he sees me though rotflmao . OK, that was a joke.

Originally Posted by HDW
Okay, I've read the past few postings and I think it's important to get back to MB principles.
Physical attraction? That comes from having your emotional needs met (unless we're talking about Boris Carloff).
Friends with benefits? Open relationships?

Read the letters that Dr. Harley posts on this website and explains on his radio show. It seems like the past few posts are WAY off track of MB principles

I don't think anyone said anything about friends with benefits.

The open relationships here was referring to dating more than one person at the time while being honest about it with everyone involved. This is so you won't focus on ONE person. Is that wrong?

I really have no desire to date but I'm willing to go out with a friend for the companionship.

Married 17 years

P
OP Offline
P
As for the next step... The next step is just that you have lunch. The step after that is IF you both have fun, you MAY do it again. That's it.

I wanted to comment on this. I don't mean really that I'm anticipating another date per say. It's just I don't want to anticipate anything so I've already started worrying. So crazy. I'm NOT cut out for this junk.

Married 17 years

M
M
Prissanna, if he says he wants to pick the tab, let him! I do that all the time with my friends, men or women. I actually do not like taking the bill and dividing it, then I prefer paying for my friend - then she or he can pay for me the next time if they like. If it's my 'date' or boyfriend, he can pay when we go out (if he wants to) but I can make a full course meal with nice wine and homemade dessert at home. Unless it's someone I would never want to see again - but then again, if that's the case, you would not be going out with him in the first place, right?

The short lunch actually sounds the best! Meeting for a cup of coffee can be a bit too short, yet meeting for dinner may be a bit too much. Lunch, and a short one, that would be perfect for the first time date...., okay, you don't want to call it a date, so the first 'meeting' shall we say..

S
S
Miss Priss,

You continue to crack me up!!!! If the energy that you have in your posts is anything like what you carry in person I'm certain that you won't have any trouble finding something to talk about.

I know this is different because you know each other, I've been on a couple of Match dates, and it seems to take me a good 4 hours over dinner to let the conversation run its course. I have a feeling that that will be the case for you. You will run out of time and still have more to say to each other.

As for who's paying..... Let Him !!!! It will help him feel better, just relax and order what you want. MS is right the possibility of a homemade dinner later if you want to do that would be a nice payback.

But for now one step at a time !!!! Guard your heart !!!! Don't read into it to much !!! and most of all just enjoy yourself !!!! ....... (advice from a guy that has been D for 2 months after a 29 marriage)

Me BS 54
XWW 51 Divorce final 1/9/12
DS26 DS24 Twin DD's22 Married 29years
D-dates No1 01/2007, No2 08/2008(ongoing)
P
OP Offline
P
SC are you STILL making fun of me? twoxfour Honestly I'm more outgoing on the internet but I'm getting better about being that way in person as well. I used to be this happy, carefree person until I married. *sigh* I just wish it hadn't taken me so long to get out of it cause I don't know if I will ever find the REAL me again.

I didn't realize you were divorced. I am so sorry. For some reason I thought ya'll had worked it out. I hate it for you. You have got an emotional roller coaster ahead of you. I don't wish it on anyone.

Start a thread about your Match dates. I'd be interested to hear about them.

Married 17 years

A
A
Dang, I thought you already had your not-date date, but I guess not... When is the big date?

AGG

P
OP Offline
P
Nope. Not yet. March 25th.

Married 17 years

O
O
I prefer to pay on the first date. If I am lucky enough to get a second date, I am comfortable with the woman offering to pay that time. This is how it was with NG (current GF). I think it was like "I would like to go out with you again" and "Okay, but I would like to pay next time." (of course, she also got to pick the activity then).

I'm old fashioned I think. everythign worked out.

opt

Me: 43 y.o. BFWH, D-day 11/11/09 (NC since 9/01)
Divorce from WW final 9/16/10.
Current Status: MB-based Marriage to Nature Girl 12/8/12 (first date on 12/11/10)
Mine: S(16), D(11)
NatureGirls: S(23), D(21)
Another EA Story
M
M
I'm excited to hear any updates on that one wink

P
OP Offline
P
I have a question about compatibility. This is for future reference but I'm going to use B as my example to discuss this.

He is a history buff. I am not.
He watches documentaries. I can't see myself enjoying that.
He stays on the go a lot. I'm a homebody however I can see myself wanting to do 'some' things.
He is very involved in ministry. I am semi-involved and don't want to hook up with someone who is OVERLY involved (my ex was this way and .... I just can't deal with that again. ).

Should these be seen as deal breakers or just differences in two people? I know you don't want to be exactly alike so what is the goal?

Married 17 years

M
M
Because you are a homebody, as for the first two differences (history buff and documentaries), I think they may not be deal breaksers. You may start enjoying learning the history as well as watching documentaries with him a bit (not all the time). Or, you may not, but as long as he is watching the documentaries or history channels at home, you can be doing something else but you guys are still at home together. I would be worried if he loves bungee jumping and wants his partner to do this with him often while she has no interest.

If he is always on the go, and you are not..., this may be a bigger issue, because he is physically not there a lot to share time with you.

A
A
Have you read Will Our Love Last? . It's the best book I've seen on compatibility. Shoot, I think I have two copies for some odd reason... Maybe my wife had one too before we met? I dunno.

AGG

K
K
The ministry thing is what I see as being the biggest thing. That's not just little differences.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
O
O
Originally Posted by AGoodGuy
Have you read Will Our Love Last? . It's the best book I've seen on compatibility. Shoot, I think I have two copies for some odd reason... Maybe my wife had one too before we met? I dunno.

AGG

AGG! Great to hear you advocate this book! I read it when I started dating NG. We found it to be very insightful.

Prissana, Dr. H also has a list of compatability traits which is helpful. I'm sure it's somewhere on this site.
Dr. Harley has said that any two people can have a satisfying marriage. When I started dating I was looking for someone with whom I would not have to contort myself (or have them contort themselves) to make a satisfying marriage be as easy as possible -- because it can be difficult. in the best of circumstances [e.g. I could have had a satisfying M with my ex, even though realistically we were not that "compatible". Since there were kids involved, I was willing to do the contortions; she wasn't, so away we went]. NG and I are very compatable (according to various measures, AND she practices MB with me).
I think you should go out anyway. You never know how a person really is till you spend some time with them.

opt

P
OP Offline
P
About the book. I don't want to read anything like that until I get more serious (as if that will ever happen) because I'm afraid a book like that will put thoughts into my head that I don't need or want. Does that make sense? It probably doesn't to you but it does to me.

I am kinda looking forward to going out with him now that we have a 'set date'. He told me last month what the date was but I didn't write it down because I wasn't sure I was going to actually do it. I think it will be fun and I'm not looking towards the future at all. I do need to be around him more to figure out stuff like the ministry thing. He might not be as involved as I think he is.

I've even thought about going out with another guy - eventually. I have a standing invitation with him stickout and I've batted it back and forth. I know he's not my type. He doesn't ever want to get re-married so I see him as safe but fun providing he doesn't want to get romantic. I haven't made up my mind about that one yet.

Married 17 years

C
C
The time to prepare yourself (reading a book) is BEFORE you get serious, though. It is much easier to discard good logic when our hearts are already involved. Better to consider compatible traits now, and rule out any non-compatible suitors before you go out on any dates. Involvement in ministry is a biggie on your list. Homebody vs go-getter is another.

Of course, you fail under my personal old-law of "Don't date anyone who has been divorced less than one year." We have something in our area where this company arranges a bunch of activities--ziplining, canopy walks, sailing, hikes, wine tastings, etc--and singles ONLY can sign up to attend. Activities and companionship without being on a "date" sounds like what you need now. The company is called Events and Adventures, they have chapters in a lot of major cities in the US and Canada.

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
S
S
Originally Posted by CWMI
The time to prepare yourself (reading a book) is BEFORE you get serious, though. It is much easier to discard good logic when our hearts are already involved. Better to consider compatible traits now, and rule out any non-compatible suitors before you go out on any dates. Involvement in ministry is a biggie on your list. Homebody vs go-getter is another.

Yes. I totally agree. The time to figure out what you want in a mate is BEFORE you begin seeing someone. I made a top ten list years ago....I ignored it early after my divorce with painful results. When I came back around to my senses I pulled out my list and took a deep breath and moved forward. It has worked out MUCH better.

Originally Posted by CWMI
Of course, you fail under my personal old-law of "Don't date anyone who has been divorced less than one year." We have something in our area where this company arranges a bunch of activities--ziplining, canopy walks, sailing, hikes, wine tastings, etc--and singles ONLY can sign up to attend. Activities and companionship without being on a "date" sounds like what you need now. The company is called Events and Adventures, they have chapters in a lot of major cities in the US and Canada.

That is a really cool event CWMI.

A year divorced is a good rule of thumb. I was almost there when I met my now dh. I remarried almost exactly a year after my divorce was final.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 193 guests, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation