Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
M
Originally Posted by vmmusa
Affairs happen for many reasons. To say that one thing ore one solution will solve the problem is short sighted. I was reading "after the affair" again. Every one keeps telling me that if my W has even one run in with the OM our marriage wont work.

You might have some credibility if that solution worked for you. But it didnt. You are still in a crippled marriage. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't understand the addictive nature of affairs. The reason your marriage does not recover is because your wife is in a fog. And she will remain that way until all contact ends.

Dr Harley addresses your approach in his mission statement:

"Sometimes you may hear alternative opinions that conflict with Dr. Harley's Ten Basic Concepts. These are often raised by those who have not solved their own marital problems, but still feel they are qualified to advise others".

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
I wanted to start a post that deals with the issue of WW and for a place for WH's to support each other. All WS know how hard it is to deal with an A in a marriage but sometimes it helps to talk to someone of the same sex that can relate.
It would also be nice to have WW's respond and try to help each side to understand some of the complex emotions and questions that may come up.

Any how, my story sounds like most of the rest. My wife had an affair, I found out, trickle truth, decided to try to save marriage, been 2 years since affair started, some progress but not even close to getting over it, using MB to try to save marriage, still trying.

For me the affair is still a huge issue while she just wants to forget (and I would too if I could). Some days seem okay while others are unbearable. The biggest issue for me is becoming sexual without having thought of her being with the other man. It is very hard to show any emotion when I know she shared so much with him. It will be two years since the affair started and in 4 months it will be 2 years since D-day. I feel that I should be farther along than I am and I need to forget or at least be able to function for more than a day without thinking about the affair.

We have had some really heated fights about this, the fighting never helps the marriage, however, I do get a chance to express my feelings and that takes a load off my mind. I just need to know to love my wife like I did before, and how do I see her and not get upset about the affair and what she did?

The people who have followed Dr Harley's guidelines here are in happy, recovered marriages. You have not even begun recovery. You are in a crippled marriage just as Harley predicts when you don't follow his rules. It's one thing to dismiss tried and true professional advice, but when your own advice does not even work FOR YOU, it might be time to reconsider. One size doesn't fit all, huh? Well, your size doesn't fit YOU.

Like Dr Harley said, there is no hope unless all contact ends. But you already know that.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
Now reading many posts, it sounds like the programs protocol has evolved, and that is to be expected, but every marriage, wife, husband is different and a one size fits all can never work for everyone. This philosophy holds true in many cases.

Ahhhhh the old 'one size doesn't fit all' mantra. We've never ever heard that one. It is often espoused by people who want to 'cherry pick' the program and wonder why they still have a crap marriage years later.

There are certain rules that DO fit all situations. There are principles that are always applicable.

Me: 56 (FBS) Wife: 55 (FWW)
D-Day August 2005
Married 11/1982 3 Sons 27,25,23
Empty Nesters.
Fully Recovered.
M
M
Affairs happen for many reasons. To say that one thing ore one solution will solve the problem is short sighted. I was reading "after the affair" again. Every one keeps telling me that if my W has even one run in with the OM our marriage wont work. But that's not what the book says, it depends on the cheating spouse and if they have recommitted to the marriage.
Now reading many posts, it sounds like the programs protocol has evolved, and that is to be expected, but every marriage, wife, husband is different and a one size fits all can never work for everyone. This philosophy holds true in many cases.

I came to this site a few days after my dday. I never visited any other site, never read a word from another marriage counselor. I read dozens of threads and 100s of posts here and what satisfied me was that most posts were by those who chose to forgive and have undertaken THIS PROGRAM to figure out just how to do that.

You can choose not follow the steps here and lead a life of continued anger and resentment and thus letting your remorseful wife's affair forever dominate your life. Or, start the process and, according to others already well into it, have the marriage you only hoped for.

Its pretty clear to us you are following something other than what would be best practices for post infidelity recovery and your discontent in your marriage is both obvious and predictable.

Your wife chose to change your marriage forever, it does not have to be for the worse. In fact, I'd venture to say your marriage during the affair sucked, mine did. She begged me to stay, we laid out promises for protection and compensation, we've worked thru the down times, and I'm here to say that things are better than ever. If I allowed her contact in any form, like you seem to be ok with, than we'd be nowhere in recovery. Like you and your wife are.

Life keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping into the fuuuu-ture.
M
M
Originally Posted by Aphelion
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
He should be writing that so called "MB counselor" and asking to see her "license." Dr Harley DID NOT endorse any counselors other than Steve Harley, Dr Jennifer Chalmers and his employee coaches.
I think, Mel, getting the facts straight would be a big help to us all.

Back then (7 or so years ago) she was indeed approved by Dr H. I don�t know what she espouses now, but at the time she was pure MB, all the time.

I contacted Dr Harley to confirm my recollection of his comments about these "counselors" you said he endorsed. He confirmed that he did not endorse any of those counselors because they could not pass his course. The reason is because they did not stick to his strict protocol. Paraphrased: "no one has been certified. In order to pass my course, one must save 5 marriages using the program. To date, no one* has done that." [*no one outside of his coaches and Steve and Jennifer, who he said have saved hundreds of marriages by sticking to the program]

You were misled about that counselor's credentials and I wish you would try counseling with those who DO know how to use this program properly. You chose a counselor who could not even pass the course under Dr Harley's direct tutelage.

Exposure 101

H
H
Aph,

The one hole I can think of is this; "Never spend a night apart from your spouse."

Don't you have a travel job? Have you had it this whole time? So, on average, how many nights per week/month/year do you spend away?

All other concepts aside, this is a HUGE hole in following the program.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
H
H
I don't mean to dog pile, I keep forgetting to ask.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 108 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation