Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
R
Originally Posted by reading
I think you should write the man a card with a message about how you are thinking about him and he has been important in your life would be nice. I wouldn't mention anything about your marriage but about one on one examples of bonding with the man.

Heartfelt. Classy. Supportive but not pulling him into the drama.

Then, skip the funeral when it comes down the line and light a candle for him to acknowledge his life would be nice.

Funerals are for the living, you know.

I second this - I think it's an excellent point. If you believe in heaven or an afterlife, then I'm certain you would believe the man himself would know of your love for him and that whether or not you attend his formal funeral is of little consequence to him or the caring you share. Send a card so other loved ones feel your love - tactful, allows you to express caring.

Married: 22 years
Me: BW 41
Him: WH 43
Sons: 19, 17, 12
Daughter: 16
DD 8/09
EA started 8/08
PA started 7/09
Brief recovery of a few months in there.
Separated 10/10
Legal Separation 8/11
Plan B 5/17/12
Plan D 5/31/12

My Story
H
H
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by happyfuture66
I understand the importance of Plan B to protect BS and give WS taste of life without their spouse etc. My concern is the children, they are the ones that seem to loose if they cannot have their parents attend their special events. It appears to be a case of impact on the children vs setback for BS.

That is exactly right. Plan B is for the children. It is in the childrens best interest that the parents DON'T see each other because sightings typically throw the BS back into turmoil. We have seen blow ups at funerals, sports games, awards banquets and even cathecisms! The kids will remember all the stress and trauma of both parents being there. I will just tell you that many of the folks I have IMed for, report that their children greatly appreciate it when the WS does not come to their events.

So it is in the child's best interest for the parent to do her best to avoid the WS at his events.

As an adult child of divorced parents, I'll say this;

When my mom and dad do the "play nice" crap, it gives me the willies.

My mother's waywardness wrecked their marriage, and somehow (maybe through 25 years and 4 kids - and two failed pregnancies) my dad never wanted to divorce and I'll catch him mumbling about still loving her 15+ years after they divorced.

My dad does it "for the kids."

Dad, I'm 33. Don't need ya to play nice anymore.

Here is what is "for the kids;"

Teaching them that you do not, for any reason, tolerate so much as the presence of someone who is disrespectful and abusive to you - even if it is their father/mother/uncle/aunt/grandma/grandpa.

/ rant

and... done.

Thanks for the key-up, Mels!

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
H
H
HHH - thanks for sharing from a child's perspective, I had only considered the negative impact (what they had lost/missing now)on my children given pre A we had a happy marriage and family and attended all children's events together.

Me 46yrs
WH 46yrs "Isildur"
Married: 22yrs 8mths
DS 9yrs;DD 19yrs;DS 21yrs
Bomb drop:marriage not working don't know if ILY 12.11.11
DD:26.11.11
WH moves to OW house 28.11.11
Formal MB Plan A 14.4.12
Plan B 27.4.12
D:20.7.14

"There are moments in life that make us & set the course of who we become. Sometimes they're little & subtle,sometimes they're big & we never saw them coming. No one asks for their life to change, but it does. It's what we do afterwards that counts & we find out who we are."
R
R
The kids have lost, no doubt. But you didn't do it. My kids are to the point of just feeling relieved when they don't have to see pinoke, either. He just makes everyone miserable with his darkness. It's a reminder that their dad is not their dad anymore, worse than if he just didn't show.

Pinoke's mother had an A and left his dad (after 31 years of marriage) a year after we were married. Married the A partner (who also left his wife, incidentally - the 4 had been "friends.") I cannot tell you the tension when our children were little of trying to have both his parents at anything - birthdays, holidays - ugly and awful for everyone. Then his mother tried the "well you should go 3 places every holiday." We tried that too. Misery dragging little kids all over.

We, and most of my WH's siblings, finally just decided - she broke up the family, why should everyone else keep paying for it? She could spend her holidays with her blissful affairage to keep her happy.

So we alternated between my parents, and his dad, throwing his mother in occasionally. But it was SOOOO much less stressful for all of us when we quit worrying about her and did what was best for us and our children. I know MIL's kids were adults, but this goes into future generations if they don't shape up. It was still horrible on her kids. Point is, it's not your fault, it's WH. Sucks, but he did it. Throw him under the bus where he is happy to throw you and the kids, and realize that until he shapes up, the kids are better off without him too.

Sad that PInoke has managed to forget all this, isn't it? FOGFOGFOG . . .

He gets so mad that I've told the kids, but I tell them all the time, "Remember what this feels like, and vow never to do this to your own family."

Married: 22 years
Me: BW 41
Him: WH 43
Sons: 19, 17, 12
Daughter: 16
DD 8/09
EA started 8/08
PA started 7/09
Brief recovery of a few months in there.
Separated 10/10
Legal Separation 8/11
Plan B 5/17/12
Plan D 5/31/12

My Story
N
N
I think you should write the man a card with a message about how you are thinking about him and he has been important in your life would be nice. I wouldn't mention anything about your marriage but about one on one examples of bonding with the man.

Heartfelt. Classy. Supportive but not pulling him into the drama.

Then, skip the funeral when it comes down the line and light a candle for him to acknowledge his life would be nice.

Funerals are for the living, you know.

I third this. You can be a bright spot in his dying days, which is far more benefit to him and his wife than attending a funeral after he's gone.

Write another note to the wife afterwards as well, reiterating how much her husband meant to you, and your continuing support for her.

WH is a non-topic. Completely irrelevant.

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
B
OP Offline
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 665 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Comfortable Shoe, Sourdine, Abela Laye, Ardent Center, Lost@1969
71,846 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation