Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Wonderingif
You're still grossing me out the way you talk about these girls. It's disgusting. These kids are younger than my two oldest daughters and it's like you're bragging you got to "bang" them. They are human beings who have to live with giving themselves away to strangers for the rest of their lives. Would you want your daughter to feel like that? Like she's just a nicely shaped piece of meat that gets treated no better than a used kleenex? You really need to get help and get over yourself.

And I didn't just mean you weren't meeting her sexual needs. I meant you were so selfishly caught up in your addiction I doubt you thought much about ANY of her emotional needs. You have a lot to learn.

Sorry, guess in proper terms.. "these women are attractive" and I wasnt always an addict.. I think it was like trying a drug for the first time and liking it. Also getting away with it was an extra rush.. Im admitting its wrong and need to get some help on it..

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight
Originally Posted by Wonderingif
You're still grossing me out the way you talk about these girls. It's disgusting. These kids are younger than my two oldest daughters and it's like you're bragging you got to "bang" them. They are human beings who have to live with giving themselves away to strangers for the rest of their lives. Would you want your daughter to feel like that? Like she's just a nicely shaped piece of meat that gets treated no better than a used kleenex? You really need to get help and get over yourself.

And I didn't just mean you weren't meeting her sexual needs. I meant you were so selfishly caught up in your addiction I doubt you thought much about ANY of her emotional needs. You have a lot to learn.

He's a sex addict.
To date he complains about his wife's affair and keeps saying he can't control himself.

Sir, you need to take responsibility for your actions first

I think a reason I did not tell her right away is because I was still in shock that she was in an actual ongoing sexual/emotional relationship with somebody who was cheating on his GF. I did not think this marriage would stick around so there was no reason for me to unload my past and let it all get out to friends and fam over a marriage that is not going to work..

HOW EVER this marriage has turned around and she is onboard to fix things and if I was NOT to tell her i could see us staying together for many years, BUT now that I know she wants to really work this out I HAVE TO TELL HER because if we are going to be together i cant carry this secret anymore AND I need her help getting through this.. Like I said before this could all backfire and we might end the marriage, but it could also start a fresh marriage with honesty.

Im trying to do the right thing, but not alot of people support you in this situation. It sucks.

J
J
Years ago the city of Portland began cracking down on prostitution.
The cops impounded vehicles that picked up prostitutes and sent the ticket to the Registered Owner. The wife's often opened the mail and discovered the husbands infidelity.
Then the city started publishing pictures of those arrested.

Like these men, you can try to conceal and convince yourself you will never be caught. But eventually you will be.

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by SugarCane
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
If you read the article that Brainy linked, you will see that Dr H is slow to conclude that someone is a sex addict, and that he never concludes this on the basis that the number of his affairs is extreme. Is isn't simply the number of extra-marital acts that make the affairee an addict, nor the fact that they are with prostitutes and would therefore be seen as cold an unfulfilling to the rest of us. He writes,

"That's the dilemma that we face when trying to decide if someone is a sex addict. Must a compulsive sexual behavior be proven to be unhealthy and cause guilt before it can be considered a sexual addiction? Or, is the simple condition that it upsets his wife reason enough?

I've counseled many men whom we would all agree are sex addicts. Some of them have broken the law by compulsively exposing themselves in public for sexual gratification. They ruin their marriage, their career, and their self-esteem with such behavior. They also feel very guilty about what they've done. Most psychologists have no difficulty diagnosing these offenders as being addicted to sex."

It seems to be the element of compulsion that is significant. and most importantly, this must be felt even when the marriage is improved so that the man's sexual needs are met within it and he has promised not to hurt his wife with the behaviour again. When the multiple incidents of sex with prostitutes is exposed, and when the couple is working on marital recovery in the way the Dr H prescribes - if the man has endured the humiliation and shame of exposure to those particular acts, and if he has lived through months of his wife's hurt but also through her committed efforts to provide him with love, sex and care - if the man still feels a need to seek sex with strangers then he is probably a sex addict. The problem is, in the majority of marriages where there has been that type of sex, the couple accepts the "sex addict" definition and gives up on the marriage. Perhaps, as in the case of Tiger Woods (which he discusses in the article), the offending spouse undertakes a period of therapy in order to try doing something, but if the conditions that allowed the adultery to take place are not addressed, there is no hope for the marriage to be saved and the couple divorce even after therapy, as did Tiger Woods and his wife. As Dr H says, they never made the commitment that he would have encouraged them to make, which would be to give the marriage a try under new, stringent conditions; that Woods never travelled without Elin and gave up attendance at tournaments if Elin could not travel with him every single time.

In other words, the "sex addict" label is often misapplied and is actually dangerous to most marriages affected by multiple affairs. It encourages the spouses to think that there is some clinical or psychological condition that probably cannot be overcome even with extreme therapy (such as attending a sex addiction programme, as did Tiger Woods). They don't make the extreme lifestyle changes that could well save their marriages and they divorce, when nobody knows whether the marriage could have been saved.

If they make the extreme changes that Dr H recommends, including an all-out effort to meet sexual and all other emotional needs within the marriage, and if both spouses report an increased level of happiness with the marriage, and if the compulsion to visit prostitutes persists, then the man is probably a sex addict. But he isn't a sex addict simply because he has had sex with 80 or 800 prostitutes, and using that lable on the basis of the story we have been told here is irresponsible and self-defeating. Suggesting a sex addiction group could simply be a way of substituting one addiction for another; I have heard many stories of addicts substituting alcohol addiction for AA meetings which themselves become addictions, and continuing to ruin their marriages by neglecting them.

This poster should write to Dr H for sepcific advice, but as I said, Dr H addressed this issue on yesterday's show, and he addresses it in the article linked. Nowhere does he suggest therapy as a first step, or adopting the mantel of "sex addict" without first radically changing the marriage to see what difference, if any, that makes.

This poster will not be able to make those changes for both their benefits unless he tells his wife about his lifestyle, so he needs to confess.

Very good advice.. I will tell her..Im not making excuses by waiting till next week, it is simply the only free time we have to actually sit down and talk due to our schedules this week and with the holiday. I will tell her and very soon..

J
J
You are completely full of it sir.
It takes 5 minutes to go to your wife, say I have something to tell you.
I have been unfaithful during our marriage and have slept with at least 80 prostitutes.

How long does it take to say those two sentences?

J
J
Sugar, I re read the article
On sex addiction.
I did not see where Dr Harley wrote that going to a 12 step progra
Would make the program the new addiction.

Reading through Jeff's posts, he says all three of the items Dr Harley mentioned in the article.

Jeff, irregardless of wether you are an addict or just commiting selfish behavior you need to tell your wife. Hopefully you haven't already given her an std.

L
L
Originally Posted by Jeff1979
Very good advice.. I will tell her..Im not making excuses by waiting till next week, it is simply the only free time we have to actually sit down and talk due to our schedules this week and with the holiday. I will tell her and very soon..
Speaking as a BS I will tell you there is no good time. Every second that passes is added to the betrayal. When my XWH told me 12/2006 about a disgusting ongoing Affair he had "sometime" in late 2003-2004 it crushed me. Over 2 years living a lie. He begged me not to leave, made all kinds of promises. When I did choose to work on the marriage that day was the start date of recovery. In my case there were far more lies and Affairs after so we never recovered. Your marriage my not recover either but that isn't the point of telling your wife the truth. You tell her the truth because she deserves to know. Just like you deserved to know about her affairs. If you want ANY chance of making the marriage work tell her today & tell her everything.

BS (me)46
XWH 46
DS19,DS,17,DD16,DD10
DD#1 12/2006
(confessed to affair in 2004)
DD#2 fall 2008- WH denial, he moves out for 6 weeks
DD#3 11/2010 new AP he doesn't deny or confirm. claims marriage was over
WH files for D 1/2011
WH moves in with OW 8/2011
WH engaged 1/2012
D final 4/2012
WH married 8/2012
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by unwritten
My wifes best friend had an affair as well and her husband was getting hookers also and they are back together now.. I had no idea he was doing the same thing. But i know about 3 other friends that are banging these whores while their wifes are at home, it is not uncommon

Sounds like you need some new friends. I don't know of any friends who are routinely 'banging whores while their wives are at home...' and if I did they would no longer be friends.

You have a lot to learn about valuing and protecting your marriage. Until then, start with dumping these friends.

Do you all have children? What kind of role models are you being for your children? What are you teaching your children about the worth of women, worth of marriage?

Yeah i agree, she still talks to her friend from time to time but not like before.. And I do not talk to these guys anymore.. In fact over the last few weeks we have be going to church.. to one of those couples marriage classes, we have met new friends just in the 3 weeks we have been going. They are good people..

We do not have children, we are 2 good looking social people that would be out at the bar scene 3 nights a week. and our marriage was broken, she went out and found happieness with these men, and I how ever did the same how even in a easier different matter.. at first i met a few women at the bar and exchanged numbers but found that it was WAY to risky to keep in contact with people here in town and have friendships with other women. I would have got caught so it was easier to get hookers.

I was unhappy as well but did not want to throw in the towel in our marriage just yet cause there was still good times and love, so i went and wandered outside the marriage and so did she... Alot of guys want to stay single and just have sex with women instead of commiting. In my case I looked at it like i was single and then thought "well i could buy this girl at the bar I met $30 in drinks, $25 dinner, go though all the role playing and bs then get her number and start texting and getting to know her and then a week or 2 down the road finally have sex with her"..

I thought no way..... way to much work and risk for someone i dont want to get to know and for someone i just wanted to have sex with.. Yeah there was still risk of being arrested or getting a disease but I didnt care in the heat of the moment. I was VERY carefull not to get any STDs i couldnt imagine giving my wife anything.. And then i find out she was with 5 guys unprotected lol..

I agree we have alot to learn. like I said we were our "first loves" we never had any other relationships more than 2 months in out lifes and then all of the sudden 13 years!. We spend all our 20's together and while all our friends were out at college partying and sleeping around we were not. I think it just hit us in our 30's that we better get this out of our systems to see what its like before we are too old,, yeah i know it sounds stupid but when you have no kids and you are good looking and get attention from the other sex there is alot of temptation, and we both failed!..

Alot of people can say "In my first marriage, this and that happened and I learned what not to do".... In our case we are learning as we go on and its a horrible way to learn..

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by LGLGreturns
[quote=Jeff1979]Very good advice.. I will tell her..Im not making excuses by waiting till next week, it is simply the only free time we have to actually sit down and talk due to our schedules this week and with the holiday. I will tell her and very soon..
Speaking as a BS I will tell you there is no good time. Every second that passes is added to the betrayal. When my XWH told me 12/2006 about a disgusting ongoing Affair he had "sometime" in late 2003-2004 it crushed me. Over 2 years living a lie. He begged me not to leave, made all kinds of promises. When I did choose to work on the marriage that day was the start date of recovery. In my case there were far more lies and Affairs after so we never recovered. Your marriage my not recover either but that isn't the point of telling your wife the truth. You tell her the truth because she deserves to know. Just like you deserved to know about her affairs. If you want ANY chance of making the marriage work tell her today & tell her everything

There actually are bad times to tell her.. We just found out yesterday that her dad has cancer, she is taking it hard. If i tell her tonight about my past it will crush her with everthing all at once.. I feel really bad.. I might tell her tonight after we go visit him.. Her family depends on me alot to help get things done cause he is in the hospital..

U
U
There actually are bad times to tell her.. We just found out yesterday that her dad has cancer, she is taking it hard. If i tell her tonight about my past it will crush her with everthing all at once.. I feel really bad.. I might tell her tonight after we go visit him.. Her family depends on me alot to help get things done cause he is in the hospital..

You committing adultery with 80+ prostitutes is what is going to crush her, not the fact that you are finally coming clean about it. It is the ACT, not the confession, that she will be crushed by.

I don't have the energy to count up how many times you have now posted 'you are right I will tell her...' but if you add up the amount of time it has taken you to write it you could have actually TOLD her by now.

U
U
Yeah there was still risk of being arrested or getting a disease but I didnt care in the heat of the moment. I was VERY carefull not to get any STDs i couldnt imagine giving my wife anything.. And then i find out she was with 5 guys unprotected lol..

Whoa. PLEASE do me a favor and go google STD facts RIGHT NOW and educate yourself on what STD's are and how they are spread. Clearly you have no clue.

You say you didn't care 'in the heat of the moment...' but when you go seek out a prostitute, money in hand, a PROACTIVE act, that is not 'in the heat of the moment.' It is a planned and executed event.

There is also ABSOLUTELY NO correlation between the words 1) sex with 80+ prostitutes and 2) being VERY CAREFUL to not get an STD. That is like saying you played Russian Roulette but were very careful to get the empty chamber. Huh?

FACT: HPV (the virus that causes genital warts) is the #1 STD and has been for many many years. It is spread through SKIN ON SKIN contact, so, unless you wore a condom that covered the entire lower half of your body, you could get it. I am guessing that probably 100% of prostitutes have HPV, given how widespread in the normal populace it is. It can cause different kinds of cancer, amongst other things, in both men and women.

M
M
[
There is also ABSOLUTELY NO correlation between the words 1) sex with 80+ prostitutes and 2) being VERY CAREFUL to not get an STD. That is like saying you played Russian Roulette but were very careful to get the empty chamber. Huh?

Like when I used to say I was a very good drunk driver?? laugh

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

U
U
We both got tested for everything and we are both clean..

Did you get tested AFTER the last time you had sex with a prostitute or ANY other woman than your wife, and after the last time she had sex with any other man than you?

I mean, if you got tested say, around hooker#40, or 60, or even 79...you could still be infected.

PS I spent several years as a domestic voilence advocate and had the opportunity to work with several prostitutes. Something like 92% of girls entering prostitution have been victims of sexual abuse in their pre prostitution days. At that time the average age of entry into prostitution was 14. 14. It is a horrendous crime, IMO, that little girls who have lived traumatic lives end up being routinely victimized by men like you, at least until they get sick enough from their own STD or drug use to die, or get beat to death by some pimp. THAT, is how you are spending your money, my friend.

I have also done extensive research on the sex slave trade. How many of these 80 were in the trade business and servicing you against their will. More than you imagine I'm sure. Makes me sick, and I always wonder WHO are these disgusting MEN who care only about depositing their disgusting fluid and don't give a hoot that these girls are being treated less than dogs. Now I know.

Dude. I commend you for wanting to turn this around. But you have a LONG way to go to truly realize what kind of disgusting life you have been leading. All your comments about how you are a good looking party guy who gets a lot of attention, how you have banged all these attractive prom queens, just tell me that you think there is some glory in this. There's not. You go to church. There is good and there is evil in this world. The world of prostitution is the underbelly of evil, and that is what you have been a part of.

S
S
On sex addiction.
Would make the program the new addiction

Reading through Jeff's posts, he says all three of the items Dr Harley mentioned in the article.

Jeff, irregardless of wether you are an addict or just commiting selfish behavior you need to tell your wife. Hopefully you haven't already given her an std.
Did I say that Dr Harley wrote that in the article? No I didn't. I said very clearly that I have heard of this happening. You can dismiss this as anecdotal evidence if you like; it is not an important point and it is indeed only my experience, and I'm not expert.

You are picking on an extremely minor point that isn't the central issue here, in my view because you don't like being told that Dr Harley will not apply the "sex addict" label as easily as you do.

As for "all three of the items that Dr Harley mentions in the article", Dr Harley's article is about entering the MB programme of marital recovery and giving that some time, before we can see whether the "sex addict" spouse really is a sex addict. THAT is the central part of Dr Harley's article, and that is something that Jeff cannot have "said", since he hasn't even told his wife yet and can by no stretch of the imagination be said to be in an MB recovery programme.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
U
U
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
[

Like when I used to say I was a very good drunk driver?? laugh

Exactly! crazy

S
S
We both got tested for everything and we are both clean..

Did you get tested AFTER the last time you had sex with a prostitute or ANY other woman than your wife, and after the last time she had sex with any other man than you?

I mean, if you got tested say, around hooker#40, or 60, or even 79...you could still be infected.

PS I spent several years as a domestic voilence advocate and had the opportunity to work with several prostitutes. Something like 92% of girls entering prostitution have been victims of sexual abuse in their pre prostitution days. At that time the average age of entry into prostitution was 14. 14. It is a horrendous crime, IMO, that little girls who have lived traumatic lives end up being routinely victimized by men like you, at least until they get sick enough from their own STD or drug use to die, or get beat to death by some pimp. THAT, is how you are spending your money, my friend.

I have also done extensive research on the sex slave trade. How many of these 80 were in the trade business and servicing you against their will. More than you imagine I'm sure. Makes me sick, and I always wonder WHO are these disgusting MEN who care only about depositing their disgusting fluid and don't give a hoot that these girls are being treated less than dogs. Now I know.

Dude. I commend you for wanting to turn this around. But you have a LONG way to go to truly realize what kind of disgusting life you have been leading. All your comments about how you are a good looking party guy who gets a lot of attention, how you have banged all these attractive prom queens, just tell me that you think there is some glory in this. There's not. You go to church. There is good and there is evil in this world. The world of prostitution is the underbelly of evil, and that is what you have been a part of.
A round of applause to you, unwritten. clap clap clap

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
On sex addiction.
Would make the program the new addiction.

Yet Dr Harley doesn't tell him to go to a 12 Step program, he tells him to use Marriage Builders and see if that solves the problem! Do you EVER recommend Marriage Builders around here? crazy

And Jeff, by putting off this bad news you are under the illusion that you are somehow sparing her from pain but you are not. All you are doing is compounding the crime. It is one more day that you LIED and DECEIEVED her. The longer you wait, the more resentment there will be to overcome. And believe me, she will resent the hell out of this little trick you have played on her. Just expect that. Don't make this worse by lying to her about her own life for another day. There is NEVER a good time to tell someone bad news. Just tell her. The sooner the better.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
We do not have children, we are 2 good looking social people that would be out at the bar scene 3 nights a week. and our marriage was broken, she went out and found happieness with these men, and I how ever did the same how even in a easier different matter.. at first i met a few women at the bar and exchanged numbers but found that it was WAY to risky to keep in contact with people here in town and have friendships with other women. I would have got caught so it was easier to get hookers.

I was unhappy as well but did not want to throw in the towel in our marriage just yet cause there was still good times and love, so i went and wandered outside the marriage and so did she... Alot of guys want to stay single and just have sex with women instead of commiting. In my case I looked at it like i was single and then thought "well i could buy this girl at the bar I met $30 in drinks, $25 dinner, go though all the role playing and bs then get her number and start texting and getting to know her and then a week or 2 down the road finally have sex with her"..

I thought no way..... way to much work and risk for someone i dont want to get to know and for someone i just wanted to have sex with..
Yeah there was still risk of being arrested or getting a disease but I didnt care in the heat of the moment. I was VERY carefull not to get any STDs i couldnt imagine giving my wife anything.. And then i find out she was with 5 guys unprotected lol..

I agree we have alot to learn. like I said we were our "first loves" we never had any other relationships more than 2 months in out lifes and then all of the sudden 13 years!. We spend all our 20's together and while all our friends were out at college partying and sleeping around we were not. I think it just hit us in our 30's that we better get this out of our systems to see what its like before we are too old,, yeah i know it sounds stupid but when you have no kids and you are good looking and get attention from the other sex there is alot of temptation, and we both failed!..

Alot of people can say "In my first marriage, this and that happened and I learned what not to do".... In our case we are learning as we go on and its a horrible way to learn..
None of that sounds like a compulsion in the way that an sex addict will behave. It does not sound like a compulsion at all; it sounds like an extremely rationalised way for a married man to go outside the marriage without getting caught. He could have had an affair like my husband and many married men on this forum did, and I'm sure that in the 3.5 years of my H's PA, he had sex with OW close to 80 times. However, Jeff cleverly rationalised that it was far too risky to do what my H did and build a relationship with a woman just to get extra-marital sex every other week, and indeed it was unnecessary; it made much more sense to skip drinks, dinner, flowers and phone calls with the risk that her boyfriend or some neighbour would find out and just pay for the sex from a stranger. It was the ultimate in rational strategies.

He allowed felt tempted and had opportunities and indulged in those, just like anybody does who decides to have an affair. It was fun and exciting, just as it is for someone having a traditional affair, and in his mind, because he wore a condom it was risk free (the silly, ignorant fool).

It was risk-free extra-marital sex over several years, just like my H had (but for much longer). It was something he wanted to do over and over because he enjoyed it, as does anyone who has extra-marital sex more than once. There is no sign of sex addiction in anything that Jeff has said in this post, and allowing him to indulge in his self-created label is just allowing him to get off the hook by claiming that he could not help himself.

He could and he can. He just didn't want to.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
J
J
Jeff you have a choice tonight: Be honest with your wife or continue to lie.
What is your decision?

F
F
I have an idea....Jeff, why don't you let your wife read this forum right now? Neverguessed already gave you the option of printing up your confession that you posted on here. You need to let her read what not only you have posted but what others have as well.

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
I don't want to just survive my affair, I want to recover from it!
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 612 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation