Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 22 of 24 1 2 20 21 22 23 24
J
J
Originally Posted by JenniferVoyager
Life is actually very full and good. I'm enjoying my own activities, the kids are doing awesome, work is very good (had a big trial last week and got everything we wanted).

Congratulations, litigator! Hope ya didn't beat my firm wink
I find that when obstacles arise, I just focus on finding a solution.

That's what I like about you!

DS talks about his dad a lot, trying to hold onto memories. He can be wistful at times as well, "remember when dad came to my soccer game? I wish he would come to every soccer game.". But HAM is only calling about once a week, and usually he tries to get off the phone after just a few minutes. DS often doesn't reciprocate the I love you's...he knows love is a verb, and that his dad isn't showing his love.

This is SO SAD, but I am very proud of your son for handling it the way he is. He's being honest about his feelings, not getting pressured into expressing something he doesn't feel. Ugh, but it's got to hurt him - and you too - watching him suffer. It's one of those things you wish you could protect them from. frown

This isn't quite the same thing, but my daughter has been filled with grief over losing her kitty. It breaks my heart to see her so bereft, and all I can do is hold her while she sobs. I can't bring her kitty back, but I can offer her my love. It's so hard to watch your children lose something irreplaceable.

You know, I'll bet your son will be a GREAT DAD someday.

"When you love someone, all your saved up wishes start coming out."
Elizabeth Bowen

(Changed my profile name, as it was appearing in Google searches. Yikes!)
Jhamila #2670685 10/03/12 05:57 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks Zhamilia! It's amazing how much of DS's sadness has dissipated already, he's on to a wistful stage. So it isn't as bad in some ways as when he was sad, but the problem is that unreasonable wishes can leave a person to feel constantly lacking. I haven't quite figured out a way to help him through this, other than gentle honesty. So when he wished about his dad coming to soccer games, I said, yes, that would be nice, but where dad lives now is too far away for him to see your games every week. And he's been worried about death a lot lately, and what happens after. I don't know how related that is to his dad leaving or if it's just developmental for a five year old.

Sorry for your daughter's loss--how old is she? It is never easy to watch our kids learn the hard lessons about life. frown

Thanks for checking in on me, Zhamilia. Sometimes it's hard to be a participant here while I'm just in plan D, it's not nearly as interesting as plan A or B and doesn't garner much support. Maybe I should move my thread? But I still feel like I'm surviving the affair...it's about blooming where I'm planted now.

Me, BS: 35
WxH: 36 "HAM" Hearts a mess
6yo DS (with WxH), 9 and 12yo DDs from first marriage
Discovered DH's affair in June, 2011
"I'm not having an affair, you're crazy." major gaslighting
Served with divorce papers on 2/3/12
Divorce final 7/29/2013
Living day by day, counting my blessings, loving my children
Personal Recovery well underway!
C
C
Jen, I don't have kids and you may want to take this with a grain of salt. But if I was in your shoes... I would not want to make any excuses for your WH's absence to your DS5. Lets face it, a WS is pretty used to making their own excuses let alone a BS doing it for them! I would simply reply that "yes, it would be nice for you if he was here, I wish he was here for you".

And I think you should remain in SAA for a while longer. Don't underestimate your input here... I am reading and I bet so are many others.

I, too, have thought of moving my thread. I will wait for the official D papers and then do it. I still think the occasional update on SAA helps many others in SAA though. I can think of many updates I followed post-D. For personal and marital recovery.

I am curious though... why after experiencing adultery in your second marriage... do you not enter and remain in Plan B?

Me (BW): 35
Married 1999 with no kids, DDay July 2011, OC born September 2012, Divorce final November 2012.

WXH (Gollum) is corrupted by his A, and now forever bound to it.

Plan B has set me free.

"Mourn the man he was. Know the man he is."
J
J
Thanks Zhamilia! It's amazing how much of DS's sadness has dissipated already, he's on to a wistful stage. So it isn't as bad in some ways as when he was sad, but the problem is that unreasonable wishes can leave a person to feel constantly lacking. I haven't quite figured out a way to help him through this, other than gentle honesty. So when he wished about his dad coming to soccer games, I said, yes, that would be nice, but where dad lives now is too far away for him to see your games every week. And he's been worried about death a lot lately, and what happens after. I don't know how related that is to his dad leaving or if it's just developmental for a five year old.

Sorry for your daughter's loss--how old is she? It is never easy to watch our kids learn the hard lessons about life. frown

Thanks for checking in on me, Zhamilia. Sometimes it's hard to be a participant here while I'm just in plan D, it's not nearly as interesting as plan A or B and doesn't garner much support. Maybe I should move my thread? But I still feel like I'm surviving the affair...it's about blooming where I'm planted now.

Jennifer I have 3 young children and I don't lie to them about their mother.
I have made it clear to them that mommy left us to live with OM. And I just leave it at that.

Jedi_Knight #2670833 10/03/12 04:31 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Please don't misunderstand and think I've lied to or misled DS, or excused HAM's behavior and choices. DS knows it was dad's choice to move away, that dad moved away to be near OW, that it's wrong because mommy and daddy are still married, and even that dad could move back (he even knows we have an empty house he could move into if he was going to pay the bills there). But the soccer game his dad came to DS didn't know he'd be there so he was just pleasantly surprised, and I want him to know that won't likely happen again.

Last edited by JenniferVoyager; 10/03/12 04:33 PM.

Divorce final 7/29/2013
J
J
FYI.
I posted a Parallel parenting custody agreement in the parallel parenting / notable posts thread from State of Indiana.
In case you wanted to look at it for custody agreement language

J
J
So when he wished about his dad coming to soccer games, I said, yes, that would be nice, but where dad lives now is too far away for him to see your games every week. And he's been worried about death a lot lately, and what happens after. I don't know how related that is to his dad leaving or if it's just developmental for a five year old.

I think you handled this just right for your five year old. He will always want his Dad to "surprise" him when he needs his approval/involvement/love (probably for many years), and your gentle honesty sounds perfect to me.

Good point about death, and it may be both his Dad & his age.

I am glad you are still here posting and writing! I remember your radio show last (January? Dec?) - and how hard you've fought to get to this place.

Have a great week! smile

"When you love someone, all your saved up wishes start coming out."
Elizabeth Bowen

(Changed my profile name, as it was appearing in Google searches. Yikes!)
Jhamila #2674128 10/14/12 09:19 PM
J
OP Offline
J
So, not a ton going on, but figure I'd give a brief update. HAM visited DS again this weekend. The girls really respond poorly to him, but in an aloof way. He came up during 11yo DD's soccer game, and as DS was crawling on him, DD2 got into my lap with her back facing him and started playing with my phone. Later, during DS's game, Dd1 moved away from him and kept playing with my hair and saying how pretty it is. At the end of the game, she didnt go up to do the parent tunnel and dd2 grabbed my hands, neither wanting to risk getting paired with him. I didn't either. But, I know it was good for DS, and the girls and I had a great evening together.

I've been sick, and that is a bit of a struggle as a single parent, but I manage as well as I can. Overall, things are still going well. We do have to negotiate the end of the divorce, and I'm struggling a bit with some things, like will HAM be responsible enough to have DS by himself, and how would DS handle being away for long periods of time? HAM didn't look quite so scraggly this time, seemed more together than he had been. I don't know if there is much use in fighting on the visitation issue...I'd hate to fight a losing battle. So I'm trying to come to some peace on it all.

Divorce final 7/29/2013
J
OP Offline
J
Oh, I guess there was one funny irony...HAM's computer was stolen last week. As a friend said, karma....the computer is what got him into this mess in the first place.

Divorce final 7/29/2013
J
J
So, not a ton going on, but figure I'd give a brief update. HAM visited DS again this weekend. The girls really respond poorly to him, but in an aloof way. He came up during 11yo DD's soccer game, and as DS was crawling on him, DD2 got into my lap with her back facing him and started playing with my phone. Later, during DS's game, Dd1 moved away from him and kept playing with my hair and saying how pretty it is. At the end of the game, she didnt go up to do the parent tunnel and dd2 grabbed my hands, neither wanting to risk getting paired with him. I didn't either. But, I know it was good for DS, and the girls and I had a great evening together.

I've been sick, and that is a bit of a struggle as a single parent, but I manage as well as I can. Overall, things are still going well. We do have to negotiate the end of the divorce, and I'm struggling a bit with some things, like will HAM be responsible enough to have DS by himself, and how would DS handle being away for long periods of time? HAM didn't look quite so scraggly this time, seemed more together than he had been. I don't know if there is much use in fighting on the visitation issue...I'd hate to fight a losing battle. So I'm trying to come to some peace on it all.

He's out of state. He will probably slowly phase out of the kids lives.
Go with standard order, every other weekend.
One month in summer.
He is responsible for transportation.
Will he agree to that?
Are you negotiating pro se with his atty or him directly?

Jedi_Knight #2676016 10/21/12 07:30 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks HDW. I have been debating fighting for restrictions on his visitation because of his depression and erratic behavior.

WH and I spoke last night about visitation, and are fairly close too an agreement. I want to know where he is staying when he comes to town and what his child are arrangements will be when DS is with him and he's working. I also wanted his summer visits to be in smaller chunks, and he agreed to that, but wants six weeks total (I offered two two-week visits). I asked him about the girls as well, because they were bothered by his last visit. He denied responsibility for their feelings and said it was because I lied to them and told them he was having an affair, which he insists he wasn't. Whatever, I just ignored it. I did say I'm not going to be willing to let the divorce finalize until we know the extent of the financial damage to me so it can be accounted for.

It will be nice to have all this behind me.

Divorce final 7/29/2013
J
OP Offline
J
So today at church, a friend (father figure style) was talking about his wife in such loving terms...not on a pedestal, but as his companion through thick and thin. I got a bit teary eyed, I feel robbed of that opportunity for companionship, at least anytime in the foreseeable future. I intend to follow Dr. Harley's advice of not entering a new romantic relationship until my kids are grown, but it feels like its going to be a long 13 years.

Divorce final 7/29/2013
H
H
hug to you Jen. I completely understand how you feel. I feel a touch of sadness at various events where there are families and/or couples.

You can be proud knowing you are a good mother.

Me 46yrs
WH 46yrs "Isildur"
Married: 22yrs 8mths
DS 9yrs;DD 19yrs;DS 21yrs
Bomb drop:marriage not working don't know if ILY 12.11.11
DD:26.11.11
WH moves to OW house 28.11.11
Formal MB Plan A 14.4.12
Plan B 27.4.12
D:20.7.14

"There are moments in life that make us & set the course of who we become. Sometimes they're little & subtle,sometimes they're big & we never saw them coming. No one asks for their life to change, but it does. It's what we do afterwards that counts & we find out who we are."
J
J
So today at church, a friend (father figure style) was talking about his wife in such loving terms...not on a pedestal, but as his companion through thick and thin. I got a bit teary eyed, I feel robbed of that opportunity for companionship, at least anytime in the foreseeable future. I intend to follow Dr. Harley's advice of not entering a new romantic relationship until my kids are grown, but it feels like its going to be a long 13 years.

Did he specifically tell you to wait 13 years?
I thought he recommended 2 years post divorce

Jedi_Knight #2679952 11/05/12 07:10 AM
J
OP Offline
J
No, on the radio show I was on, he specifically said he recommended that, as a single parent, with all the challenges of blended families and confusion for kids, that I shouldn't even try to have another relationship and just concentrate on the kids. There was a long discussion about it on Scotty's thread, too.

Thanks, happyfuture! I do concentrate on the parenting and am doing pretty awesome...girls got straight As, one just was at a weekend church conference,the weekend was filled with fun: Saturday market, soccer games, powwow, fundraiser dinner for my work, birthday party, church...busy and fun, with lots of time with friends.

I do think I might take the little guy to a counselor...he keeps worrying about me dying or leaving.

Divorce final 7/29/2013
H
H
Jen, It is normal for young children to worry about you leaving after one parent has left the home. My DS7 became anxious about me leaving, I kept reassuring him that I chose to stay home, I chose to be with him. I thought telling him I loved him wasn't enough reasurance as his father had loved him before he left. Counselling is a great idea.

hurray to you for being such a wonderful mother. The children are lucky to have you ... a stable sane parent

Me 46yrs
WH 46yrs "Isildur"
Married: 22yrs 8mths
DS 9yrs;DD 19yrs;DS 21yrs
Bomb drop:marriage not working don't know if ILY 12.11.11
DD:26.11.11
WH moves to OW house 28.11.11
Formal MB Plan A 14.4.12
Plan B 27.4.12
D:20.7.14

"There are moments in life that make us & set the course of who we become. Sometimes they're little & subtle,sometimes they're big & we never saw them coming. No one asks for their life to change, but it does. It's what we do afterwards that counts & we find out who we are."
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks for your perspective, HF, I'll definitely try that and I'm going to put a call in to the counselor I've taken the girls to and see what she thinks.

Yesterday I had some good talks with a coworker yesterday and reflection. I'm actually very glad at this point that HAM is out of my life. I can give the kids what they need, do what I need, and really have life back on a positive track. I am fortunate.

Divorce final 7/29/2013
J
J
I feel the same way Jennifer.
Sometimes it is like a breath of fresh air to get out of a toxic relationship

Jedi_Knight #2684740 11/21/12 06:36 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Haven't posted in a bit so figured I'd pop in for a quick update! I'm feeling so good and peaceful these days. I'm not in plan B but it certainly did the trick of getting me past that frustration over not knowing what was going on in HAM's messed up heart. I do still think of him a lot, daily I'll admit, but I am no longer wanting my situation to be different. Now I'd just like to get the divorce done as quickly as possible! My attorney is still being useless on that front. And yesterday I beat him in court...time to fire him and take this over, I think.

Divorce final 7/29/2013
S
S
What types of interactions are you having with your WH? If you insist on keeping in contact with him, I would suggest emails, and do as Schoolbus would often advise and answer with only 5 words. I still would suggest PB. Take care of yourself, and those babies.

BW(Me)aka Scotty:37
DSx2: 10,12
DDAY2(PA)Nov27/09
Plan B Dec18/09
Personal R in works
Scotty's THING laugh
Newly Betrayed click here

Praying for walls and doors. Thanx MM

“Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.”
? Maya Angelou

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION

THANK YOU
Page 22 of 24 1 2 20 21 22 23 24

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 365 guests, and 78 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation