Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
U
U
You are getting honest opinions...on your original thread. Why did you start a new one?

O
O
Originally Posted by LizWhitney
I do have the feeling that contacting her would only serve to make ME feel better and would hurt her (and him) in terrible ways, so I'm not sure it would really serve as "amends".

Your feelings and opinions on how it will be received are inconsequential. You are obligated to tell this woman the truth for no other reason than: it's the truth. You have invaded her life in a very intimate and destructive way and she has a God-given right to know about it.

In your opinion, would I call her? Email her? Tell her I am the woman with whom her husband has had an adulterous relationship for 7 plus months?

Choose one, but get it done. Personally, I'd hope you'd have the fortitude to, at least, tell her via telephone if you don't have the fortitude to face her. And yes, introduce yourself as "Liz, the woman with whom your husband has been involved in an adulterous affair for 7-plus months."

Do I give her details? Do I give her data (pictures, emails, voicemails)?

Provide her whatever details she requests.

. . . is it better to just stop the affair from my end and hope that HE has the decency to come clean to her and make his own amends?

Are you kidding? Decency? Depend on his decency? The decency of a man who's been betraying his family with you for 7-plus months? Holy cow . . .

Your AP is caught within the throes of an addiction. He is addicted to the high of the affair, not necessarily to you. You know this, as you described it YOURSELF as being "like a drug." If you don't expose him to his wife, he won't stop. He will continue to contact you until you break down. If you don't break down, he will seek out another woman to act as his crack pipe. Believe it, Liz. As much as it hurts to have to face it, you're not that special; you're just available.

Put a stop to all of it NOW. Tell his wife.

Last edited by OldWarHorse; 12/03/12 03:15 PM. Reason: sp
U
U
Do you not like the advice to tell your victim about the crime that you have committed against her? Are you attempting to find people who are going to tell you to continue being deceitful?

A
A
The OW deserves sympathy when she truly had no idea and thought she was dating a single man.

That ship has sailed, Liz!

You NOW know he is married and you know you are a long distance secret (and that means you are probably not the only one either!). If you are now seeking permission to NOT tell her, then I'm afraid you are falling into the co-conspirator role and that is unacceptable.

B
B
Originally Posted by alis
You NOW know he is married

She has always known.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
A
A
My mistake, I thought she didn't know at first.

I think OW here is asking for permission and sympathy for her actions. I'm not buying the "oh poor wife" bit.

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by unwritten
Do you not like the advice to tell your victim about the crime that you have committed against her? Are you attempting to find people who are going to tell you to continue being deceitful?

Uhm, no? I have expressed gratitude for the opinions shared here. Don't know what you are talking about.

N
N
Well, we actually don't have to guess.

It's all yours, Liz: listen to the folks here, bite the bullet, and confess your offense to your victim....or not.

"Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth." Luke 15:10

"Same here." NG 03:12:12

A
A
I know this would end things permanently between MP and I. That scares me. I love him. I am in a horrible painful bind.

In a later post, you said that you had ended the affair, blocked his email and phone.

Can you clarify which is true? What kind of bind are you actually in? Is the affair ended permanently or not? Is it your goal to end the affair or are you hoping to give a divorce ultimatum?

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
S
S

Uhm, no? I have expressed gratitude for the opinions shared here. Don't know what you are talking about.
She's talking about the fact that you started a new thread to ask the same question you asked on your first thread - about whether you should confess. Her question was asked on your second thread. It looked as if you started it because you did not accept the answers from those already posting to you.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
Hi, Liz;

did you get to read these links?

Originally Posted by markos
I found this site after doing an internet search re: "surviving being the other woman."

Hi, Liz, welcome to Marriage Builders. I can't believe noone has posted Dr. Harley's Q&A columns for the other person in an affair yet:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5037_qa.html
http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5037b_qa.html

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by SugarCane

She's talking about the fact that you started a new thread to ask the same question you asked on your first thread - about whether you should confess. Her question was asked on your second thread. It looked as if you started it because you did not accept the answers from those already posting to you.

I started the thread here because someone suggested it was a more appropriate place for it and then a mod moved the original thread as well.

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by markos
I found this site after doing an internet search re: "surviving being the other woman."

Hi, Liz, welcome to Marriage Builders. I can't believe noone has posted Dr. Harley's Q&A columns for the other person in an affair yet:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5037_qa.html
http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5037b_qa.html

Thank you Markos. Good info.

A
A
Originally Posted by armymama
I know this would end things permanently between MP and I. That scares me. I love him. I am in a horrible painful bind.

In a later post, you said that you had ended the affair, blocked his email and phone.

Can you clarify which is true? What kind of bind are you actually in? Is the affair ended permanently or not? Is it your goal to end the affair or are you hoping to give a divorce ultimatum?

Same questions. Please clarify your goals and purpose here.

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
G
G
Liz, I haven't had time to do more than skim your thread, and I need to go spend time with my wife this evening, so I'll be brief:

Please read my sig line. I can tell you a bit about where you might stand as the other woman -- because for a brief (but not brief-enough) spell 4 years ago, I used to have one.

Today, I wouldn't touch her with a 40-foot pole; and if I should somehow live to be 700 years old, the time I spent with her will still stand as my greatest regret. The affair was the least worthwhile & worst thing with which I have ever had anything to do. Bar none.

If you've got questions, ask.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
J
J
General question: Does Dr. Harley recommend that the AP tell the BS? I understand that Dr. H states that the affair should immediately be ended and exposed. My question is "By whom should the affair be exposed?" If the main purpose of exposure is to end the affair, what is the goal of the AP exposing an affair that already ended? The AP might be able to clear her conscience and enlighten the BS and prevent future affairs, but to my understanding, those would be side benefits of exposure; they are not the main purpose of exposure. I agree that it is an excellent idea for the AP to tell the BS, but I'm wondering if it is actually necessary for the AP to do it if the WS refuses.

V
V
Originally Posted by JessicaClaire
General question: Does Dr. Harley recommend that the AP tell the BS? I understand that Dr. H states that the affair should immediately be ended and exposed. My question is "By whom should the affair be exposed?" If the main purpose of exposure is to end the affair, what is the goal of the AP exposing an affair that already ended? The AP might be able to clear her conscience and enlighten the BS and prevent future affairs, but to my understanding, those would be side benefits of exposure; they are not the main purpose of exposure. I agree that it is an excellent idea for the AP to tell the BS, but I'm wondering if it is actually necessary for the AP to do it if the WS refuses.
Would you want to know if your husband was cheating on you? Regardless of where the info came from, would you want to know?

Every man I meet is in some way my superior; and in that I can learn of him.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

L
OP Offline
L

Thank you Jessica...this has been my question.

Yes, I did end the affair...TODAY. I was wondering if HE should tell his wife. After reading here that it is unlikely he would be forthcoming, rather he'd make me out to be the stalker, I decided I should inform her myself. I was unable to get a work phone number for her but did contact her on her work email stating that I was deeply sorry to tell her of my role and I gave her my contact information if she wanted details or evidence. As I indicated earlier, I have blocked MP's phone and email. I told her I would not be in further contact with him.

Anyway...thanks again to all of you. You supported me in doing the right thing, which I knew was the right thing all along, just needed to hear it from voices of experience.

M
M
I agree that it is an excellent idea for the AP to tell the BS, but I'm wondering if it is actually necessary for the AP to do it if the WS refuses. My question is "By whom should the affair be exposed?"

The answer to this question is: whoever KNOWS. What matters is that the BS gets the truth.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M

Thank you Jessica...this has been my question.

Yes, I did end the affair...TODAY. I was wondering if HE should tell his wife. After reading here that it is unlikely he would be forthcoming, rather he'd make me out to be the stalker, I decided I should inform her myself.

And that is exactly why you should have informed her. If you had pressured him to do it, it would have not been done.

I was unable to get a work phone number for her but did contact her on her work email stating that I was deeply sorry to tell her of my role and I gave her my contact information if she wanted details or evidence. As I indicated earlier, I have blocked MP's phone and email. I told her I would not be in further contact with him.

Good job!!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 305 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Dr. Kabona, zoneofpleasure, priyu04, margoqwerty66, Torres1986
71,882 Registered Users
Latest Posts
Children
by BrainHurts - 10/19/24 04:02 PM
20 appointments and $1000’s later…
by BrainHurts - 10/17/24 01:06 PM
Can I become attracted to anyone?
by phinnino1 - 10/11/24 08:57 AM
MBRadio show discussing electric fence pers.
by phinnino1 - 10/11/24 08:55 AM
Lack of sex - anyway to fix it?
by phinnino1 - 10/11/24 08:51 AM
Radio Program Still Active?
by phinnino1 - 10/11/24 08:50 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,613
Posts2,323,450
Members71,883
Most Online3,185
Jan 27th, 2020
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2024, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation