Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by reading
I think your daughter is too stressed from the devastation of her family to use traditional authoritarian discipline. It is just added stress to an already miserable place she is in.

Tell her you are sorry she is hurting. Tell her you want a good life for her and that doing well in school is helpful to have one. Tell her you will support her in any way to do better in school. Tell her you love her a lot. Ask her to show you her assignments and let her know you will be speaking with her teachers to keep on top of what is happening and then do it.

Also, tell her you want to spend quality time together just doing stuff together before she grows up and makes her own life.

It is important to talk with your daughter but not lecture her. Let her know you are there for any sort of topic (school, boys, health).

So help me, the children affected by infedelity and the fracturing of their homes.......they are troopers.

They are troopers Reading...Good to hear from you.

Me: BH 36
Her: WW 34
Kids: D 14, S 12, S 9
DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
Filed for D 10/2011-Papers Served 11/2011
Divorce final May 24, 2012
My Story

G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by johnstwin
Hi GJM-

My YS had just started high school when my FXH left us and I was diagnosed with breast cancer. It was a tough year.

My YS didn't get apathetic, but he still failed a few classes that first year. I had gone to his teachers and counselor to let them know what was going on. BTW-I'm a high school teacher myself and work in an alternative program for kids who are behind in credits, so I see this a lot. It's still different when it's your own kid.

One of the things that really "saved" my son was his participation in NJROTC. (Naval Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps). He was on the Armed Drill team (spinning parade rifles in formation) and air rifle team and had training every day-either in the am or pm. He practiced every day,went to competitions and had classes with a group of friends who had the same interests as he did, and he was busy doing something he enjoyed. (He took 3rd place nationally his sophomore year in sport shooting, went to a national competition his junior year and was the leader of the Armed Drill Team his senior year). The key thing was, he found a place to belong. This is key to high school success. There are all kinds of clubs and activities kids can get involved in. Drama, Key Club (service), Environmental Club (my daughter did that) etc.

Your DD may not be very motivated right now, but you can let her know that the privilege of driving is going to depend on her demonstrating that she is responsible and that starts with school. Most states don't allow kids to drive until they are 18 unless they have taken drivers' ed AND have their parents' permission. It's your insurance on the line, and most insurance companies give "good student" discounts (a "B" average). In my state, a parent can rescind their child's right to have a license between the ages of 16-18. I've only seen it happen once. That student's dad caught him at a party.

My son had to take extra classes to graduate on time, but he made it.

Hope this helps

I think the incentive to be able to drive will definitely help her. Thanks for the suggestion. I want her to play sports, but she isn't academically eligible.

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by JenniferVoyager
I also would suggest revisiting the every other week schedule. No adult could function well with that kind of chaos and I'm sure it's hard for her. Did your WxW ever get more suitable housing?

In terms of the time suggestion, I think that's great. Think of it as plan A'ing her, filling her love bank to overflowing. Is she into music? Learn to like hers. Try the goofy stuff you did when she was littler, she's still a kid really...go bowling, or mini golf, or skating. Help her plan and cook a meal. Take a class together...when I was in middle school I thought it would be neat to be a private investigator so my mom enrolled in a class and I basically audited, but we had a blast going there together every week. Does she go to the gym with you? Take a yoga class with her, show her how you branch out. Do stuff with her AND her friends. Be the coolest/craziest dad around, throw her a half-birthday party...

Lucky for me, her friends think I'm a cool dad. They like to come and hang out at my house and I enjoy that as well because they are safe at home. We listen to the same music as well and she likes to show me things on youtube. I'm going to plan a few things for us to do together as well as talk to her teachers.

My WxW still lives in the same apartment as before. From what I understand, she wants to move into a cheaper place. I'm guessing it won't be bigger because she still has the same pay as before.

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

W
W
She could be depressed. If so, not much will motivate her. Perhaps take her to her pediatrician adn have a talk. Perhaps medication will help.

Also talk to the guidance counselor at school adn let him/her know what is going on. See if s/he can set soemthing up so that teachers let you/mom know what homework is due. Ask the counselor to help follow up and see if she is doing it on mom's weeks. Ask them for other ideas.

Like others have said, now is the time to spend time with your daughter and "plan A" her...but remember not to be too much of a giver.

Be creative. Can you talk to one of her friend's mom and ask the friend could come over to do homework with her? Then hopefully some peer pressure will engage and she will do it.

G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I like the idea of having a friend come over to do homework. I also believe she is depressed. I have taken her to see a psychologist, but not a pediatrician as of yet. Another idea I got from one of her teachers is to buy her a calendar planner so that she can write her assignments each day and have her teachers and I sign it daily. This way we can make sure she isn't skipping out on homework. I am going to sit with her and my boys each night to go over howework. If it is completed before I get home, I will look it over.

Thanks for your suggestions.

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

B
B
Originally Posted by GJM
I like the idea of having a friend come over to do homework. I also believe she is depressed. I have taken her to see a psychologist, but not a pediatrician as of yet. Another idea I got from one of her teachers is to buy her a calendar planner so that she can write her assignments each day and have her teachers and I sign it daily. This way we can make sure she isn't skipping out on homework. I am going to sit with her and my boys each night to go over howework. If it is completed before I get home, I will look it over.

Does her school have the option for you to check online her assignments/grades as much as possible?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Originally Posted by GJM

Does her school have the option for you to check online her assignments/grades as much as possible?

Yes, but they fail to update it on time. It's usually after it's too late to make sure the work is done

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

B
B
Originally Posted by GJM
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Originally Posted by GJM

Yes, but they fail to update it on time. It's usually after it's too late to make sure the work is done
Ahhh, very true. The daily calendar sounds good. It also puts alot of the responsibility back on her.

Have you tracked her cycle to see if her depression follows with that?

I have noticed with my DDs that this explains TONS with their "moods".

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Yes, I have a tracker app on my phone that keeps track of her days. Instead of making her feel punished all the time, I'm going to let her earn her weekends. If she does well during the week, she will be able to hang out with friends and use her electronics. If not, her weekend will be taken away and she can try again next week. It's worth a try and it's not long term grounding, which didn't seem to help the situation at all.

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

G
G
This is my favorite parenting blog.
http://www.ahaparenting.com/ages-stages/early-teen

I taught for 10 yrs before staying home with my kids. I've taught a little bit of everything K-12 because we move a lot.

I agree with many of the suggestions here. CONNECT, CONNECT, CONNECT with her! Put in the time, find a way. Great suggestions already on this thread, and also on the blog.

I agree getting her to the ped for a depression screening.

I disagree with any form of punishment. She knows her grades suck, and she isn't happy about it. It is a cry for help. Talk with her teachers. Get the assignments in her planner. Get her tutoring if she needs help, but if she has never struggled in school before this is likely an emotional problem, not an academic one.

Any kind of parenting/ punishments will come across the wrong way and she will rebel. Connect, get her to open up to you, be empathetic and a good listener. Don't lecture! Start ASAP! Your window of influence is rapidly closing as the older she gets, the less influence you have.

That's my humble opinion!

BS-me 35
WXH-37
DS- 3.5 yrs old
DD 2 yrs old
Married for eleven years, together for fifteen
DDay August 2012 Found inappropriate text message
12/7/12 knew for sure he was sexting with men
12/9/12 Partial exposure, and truth about PA's revealed by WH
12/19/12 Full exposure
1/9/13 Plan B
Jan 2013 filed for divorce
1/27/2014 Divorce finalized
G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Well today is the start of the new semester. I emailed all of my children's teachers and asked them to sign the planner to verify assignments for each day as well as comment on anything pertaining to behavior or grades. So far three teachers have emailed back. Hopefully this will work out the way I planned.

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

G
GJM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Last night was somewhat of a success. When I got home from work, the kids had their homework on the table and the planner opened so I could see the assignments. My D forgot to have a couple of teachers sign her planner, but I received emails from them. Once she makes it a habit, things will hopefully get better.

DDay 1-6/2009
DDay 2-9/2011
DDay 3-11/2011
My Story

B
B
Originally Posted by GJM
Last night was somewhat of a success. When I got home from work, the kids had their homework on the table and the planner opened so I could see the assignments. My D forgot to have a couple of teachers sign her planner, but I received emails from them. Once she makes it a habit, things will hopefully get better.
Yup. Good habits are good to put in place.

I'm glad it's working out thus far. smile

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

S
S
Originally Posted by GJM

That is awesome!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 584 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation