Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

P
OP Offline
P
Another day. Today I started seeong a counseling that is helping me keep focus on me, my life, my future. I have been thinking about all these things Im sure she sees the obvious. That after so many many years of devoting my life to him I lost myself. I hightened that I have been isolating. Yes I have.
I miss him I have for a long time even when he was here I missed him. It is unbelievable that this is happrning. Even though Im living it, it seems like a bad dream.
Suggestions were made to do thongs that make me happy. Numb is the new norm although I switch from anger, saddness, disbelief. Who is the alien body snatcher. No contact continues.

BS
Married going to be 24 years May 13, 2013
Together 28 years
2 adult children
D-Day 3/28/2012 (day of 1st separation)

Separated again 3/12/13
B
B
Originally Posted by princefan86
Another day. Today I started seeong a counseling that is helping me keep focus on me, my life, my future. I have been thinking about all these things Im sure she sees the obvious. That after so many many years of devoting my life to him I lost myself. I hightened that I have been isolating. Yes I have.
I miss him I have for a long time even when he was here I missed him. It is unbelievable that this is happrning. Even though Im living it, it seems like a bad dream.
Suggestions were made to do thongs that make me happy. Numb is the new norm although I switch from anger, saddness, disbelief. Who is the alien body snatcher. No contact continues.
Are you in Plan B?

Has there been any contact between the two of you?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

P
OP Offline
P
Oh yes since last week. And Im doing natural AD's. Unfortunately through contact with our daughter I did here they are away on a trip. It hurt to here about it.

BS
Together 28 years
2 adult children

Separated again 3/12/13
B
B
Oh yes since last week. And Im doing natural AD's. Unfortunately through contact with our daughter I did here they are away on a trip. It hurt to here about it.
Have you asked your DD not to tell you anything? Tell her "please do not tell me anything regarding your Wayward Father and OW, it hurts me too much and hinders my healing."

I'm sure she will understand.

Have your adult children told their father how upset they are with him having an affair?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

P
OP Offline
P
I will have that conversation with them. My daughter has tild him in no way wikl she ever have a relationship with the OW. She even told him she does not want him to ealk her down the,ilse when she marries. My son wont say anything to him. He says he is now out of it. Sometimes I feel I am in this fight alone and he is spared any hurt by our friends and family.

BS
Together 28 years
2 adult children

Separated again 3/12/13
P
OP Offline
P
I will have that conversation with them. My daughter has tild him in no way wikl she ever have a relationship with the OW. She even told him she does not want him to ealk her down the,ilse when she marries. My son wont say anything to him. He says he is now out of it. Sometimes I feel I am in this fight alone and he is spared any hurt by our friends and family.

BS
Together 28 years
2 adult children

Separated again 3/12/13
B
B
You should be very proud of your DD.

Have you thought about getting ADs from your doctor? Dr. H recommends them during this time.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

P
OP Offline
P
Yes I meet with dr in 2 weeks. Unfortunately the seperation,has,caused tight finances. So we doing what we can when we can. My DD is a very brave young woman. My S also spoke to him and has made it clear he will never have contact with OW. I wish Fl wasnt a no fault state when the finances come an issue. He earns less than I so I have lost a second income. Although the kids are now chipping in.

BS
Together 28 years
2 adult children

Separated again 3/12/13
P
OP Offline
P
Seens he suffers no loss. That makes me angry.

BS
Together 28 years
2 adult children

Separated again 3/12/13
B
B
Seens he suffers no loss. That makes me angry.
Well I think losing HUGE amount of respect from your children is a TREMENDOUS loss. Don't you?

Also, if my DD didn't want me to walk her down the aisle would give most fathers great pain.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

P
OP Offline
P
Here is my most important queation. What if he wants to come back? Laat year before I found MB we h He still found a way to contact her. ad a few false recoveries. He came back only to fall back into the affair again, even qith boundaries in place no phone no FB
I know he has to be away from the sorce of his addiction, but I would want proof before I allow him in again. Would it be a bad request on my part to ask him to provr his intention? To require he not come to the home right away but to live elsr, do counceling and MB and prove he is sincerely trying to get his family back?

BS
Together 28 years
2 adult children

Separated again 3/12/13
B
B
Here is my most important queation. What if he wants to come back? Laat year before I found MB we h He still found a way to contact her. ad a few false recoveries. He came back only to fall back into the affair again, even qith boundaries in place no phone no FB
I know he has to be away from the sorce of his addiction, but I would want proof before I allow him in again. Would it be a bad request on my part to ask him to provr his intention? To require he not come to the home right away but to live elsr, do counceling and MB and prove he is sincerely trying to get his family back?
You should definitely require that. If you don't, you will be setting yourself up for failure.

Since he is a repeat offender your bar must be high. What were the conditions that you put in your Plan B letter?

MB coaching and program should definitely be a condition.

Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Set her down and explain to her that you want to have a romantic, loving, SAFE marriage and that you won�t stay in a loveless marriage. Tell her you are willing to give her an opportunity to earn your forgiveness. In order for the marriage to recover, certain things have to happen. This is what it will take to keep you interested:

1. end all contact with the OM for life

2. no more nights apart or going out without each other - create a healthy, integrated lifestyle

3. complete transparency - cell phone passwords, etc

4. no more opposite sex friendships

5. complete honesty about her affair<s> � passing a polygraph

6. commit to the Marriage Builders program for recovery as outlined in the book Surviving an Affair.

Tell her "this is what it will take to keep me in this marriage." Whether your marriage ends up with success or failure will depend almost entirely on her willingness and ability to make radical changes. Her lifestyle must become absolutely transparent, holding nothing back. She is in no position to negotiate when it comes to extraordinary precautions, because those precautions are designed to prevent another affair and help you feel safe. She must also meet your emotional needs in a way that until now she has failed. Unless she makes a 180 degree turn in her approach to what it means to be a wife, your marriage won't recover, it will be a crippled version of your pre-affair marriage.

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by taking this approach, because if she won't do these things, you will have lost nothing except a loveless, abusive marriage.

Unless you use this program to create a much better marriage than the one you had before the affair, you are likely looking at repeat affairs. So don't even think you can get away with sweeping the affair under the rug and going back to what you had before. What you had before led to the affair!

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
B
This might help also.

Please listen to these radio clips on what are the reasons for divorce.

Radio clip at 5:45 When to call it quits
Segment #2

Have you read the articles on neglect?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

S
S
pf, have you read the False recovery thread that I linked to your thread in the Divorce forum?

You really must read it all the way through and takes notes of the advice given by each person there. You have already had some false recoveries, it seems, and your H (like mine) seems to have no conscience stopping him from putting you through even more. Please read the thread.

The short answer to your question about "what if he wants to come back?" is that you must decide on your conditions for recovery now, and he must agree to meet them should he ever ask to come back.

The first thing you should be looking for is absolute contrition on his part. He must be broken and ashamed of what he has put you through and he must be begging your for you take him back. if he comes back with a grudging attitude, or one that says "you were at fault too! Don't blame me for all this!" or anything short of desperation, you do not entertain him for a minute.

If that attitude is in place, you must ask for Dr Harley's requirements for recovery. I will post these for you later. You also need to ask for things specific to your situation. I can't remember now whether OW leaves in your state; if so, a move to a new house is recommended. I'll have to re-read your thread to see why it is so easy for him to keep contacting her, and then I can add to the list. In my H's case, contact with OW (who lives in another country) was via the workplace. He had no mobile phone or laptop, and he never used our desktop PC, so there was nothing for me to monitor. The only way I could contemplate recovery after so many false ones was for him to leave his job. He was due to retire three weeks afte D Day, and with Dr Harley's guidance via the online programme, once he had retired I could monitor the home PCs and see him here at home, under my nose.

(That might not sound like a happy way to live, but with contrition and a genuine desire from him to be with me, and a love from him of his family life, and a desire on my part not to hurt us all through divorce, things have been very good and I am glad I did not divorce.)

You might ask for a post-nup agreement, and in your shoes, I would certainly insist that he does the MB online programme.

I'll be back later when I have read and can link a few things.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
P
OP Offline
P
Thank you SC your post makes a lot of scence.I will be waiting for the posts

BS
Together 28 years
2 adult children

Separated again 3/12/13
S
S
Have you read the False Recovery thread yet?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

P
OP Offline
P
Brainhurts this is great information,I.ve been reading on and off all day!!! I have made so many of the same mistakes. Gonna follow this one till the end.

BS
Together 28 years
2 adult children

Separated again 3/12/13
S
S
pf, here is Dr Harley's programme for marital recovery after an affair. Should the affair finish and should you still be interested in recovering and rebuilding your marriage, this article describes what you need to do. The steps involve creating transparency between you, and also creating a romantic marriage. (I stole this post from one that MelodyLane made to another poster on this forum today.)

In fact, you should insist that you both enrol on the online course, and have some additional coaching sessions with either Dr Harley's son Steve or his daughter Dr Jennifer Chalmers, to get you started on the right foot.

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
The plan I recommend for recovery after an affair is very specific. That's because I've found that even small deviations from that plan are usually disastrous. But when it's followed, it always works. The plan has two parts that must be implemented sequentially. The first part of the plan is for the unfaithful spouse to completely separate from the lover and eliminate the conditions that made the affair possible. The second part is for the couple to create a romantic relationship, using my Basic Concepts as a guide.

I'll describe these two parts to you in a little more detail.

The first step, complete separation from the lover and eliminating the conditions that made the affair possible, requires a complete understanding of the affair. All information regarding the affair must be revealed to the betrayed spouse, including the name of the lover, the conditions that made the affair possible (travel, internet, etc.), the details of what took place during the affair, all correspondence, and anything else that would shed light on the tragedy.

This information is important for two reasons: (1) it creates accountability and transparency, making it essentially impossible for the unfaithful spouse to continue the affair or begin a new one unnoticed, and (2) it creates trust for the betrayed spouse, providing evidence that the affair is over and a new one is unlikely to take its place. The nightmares you experience are likely to continue until you have the facts that
will lead to your assurance that your husband can be trusted.

An analysis of the wayward spouse's childhood or emotional state of mind in an effort to discover why he or she would have an affair is distracting and unnecessary. It takes precious time away from finding the real solutions. I know why people have affairs: We are all wired for it. Given certain conditions, we would all do it. Given other conditions, however, none of us would do it. So the goal of the first step is to discover the conditions that made the affair possible and eliminate them.

After the first step is completed, the second step is to create a romantic relationship between you and your husband using my 10 Basic Concepts here
as your guide. While your relationship may be improving, it won't lead to a romantic relationship because you are not being transparent toward each other. Unspoken issues in a marital relationship lead to a superficiality that ruins romance.

<snip>

Infidelity is not something that can be swept under the rug. While those who have affairs want to forget about it and move on, those who are betrayed must take very specific steps before they can fully recover. In your case, those steps have not been taken, and as a result, your fear persists. I will send you a complimentary copy of my book, "Surviving an Affair," if you send me your address. It will describe these two steps to you and provide you with a roadmap toward full recovery. But the path will require full disclosure of all details.
here

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (Douglasbubbletro), 211 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
peppa, RP4280, Philip Pitre, ClarencePeterson, ColsDawg
71,872 Registered Users
Latest Posts
Children
by Douglasbubbletro - 09/28/24 06:04 PM
Spying on Wife's phone without getting caught?
by ClarencePeterson - 09/22/24 08:59 PM
Depression
by ClarencePeterson - 09/22/24 11:19 AM
Separated/Dating
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 08:58 PM
Child activities
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 08:56 PM
Loss of libido/Sexual Attraction
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 06:10 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,608
Posts2,323,425
Members71,872
Most Online3,185
Jan 27th, 2020
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2024, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation