Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
hbw Offline OP
OP Offline
H
first post here. i honestly wish i had never heard of this place or had to type this out.

i'm lost.
i'm heartbroken beyond what these words will convey
i'm infinitely sad
i'm confused
i haven't slept more than 30 minutes in the past 6 days
i'm not eating or taking care of myself

a little background... i'm early 40's. wife is mid 30's. married almost 7 years and together 10. i thought, obviously incorrectly, that we were happy and working together on some basic life goals we all have (debt payoff, retirement, traveling, etc.) we've been in the process of remodeling our home. we have plans, is my point, that we were actively talking about.

then came last week. i'll spare the details but i happened to pick up my wife's phone after i saw it was vibrating on the counter. she had it face down. i read a text message from the guy that she cheated with a couple weeks earlier while out of town. i then proceeded to read more text messages from my wife to her friend where she bragged about how good it was and how she could barely walk the next day. my heart sank. i decided to immediately confront her and ask if she was cheating. she confessed. i asked why she did it. she said she's unhappy. i asked about what. she told me that her "friends" told her she's different around them than she is when she's with me. she told me that she feels like she can't be herself around me. and then she said she wasn't satisfied in the bedroom. she admitted that she was drunk when this happened but was emphatic that it 100% consensual. she said the guy was "easy to talk to", was "physically attractive", was "charming", was "positive".

we talked for a couple hours that night about what you would expect. she told me she didn't know if she wanted to save our marriage. she said that she may have "damaged it too much" and that it would be easier to not fix it. i was initially going to grab a bag and leave that night to get away. after a bit i thought better of that and told her no. i wasn't leaving. she doesn't get to do this and then i leave. so she left and went to a friends.

she came back early the next morning and packed up a few things and grabbed the dogs. we sat again and talked for a few hours. i NEED to understand how she could betray me like this. i NEED to know why she didn't give me the courtesy of talking to me about this before it got to this. she just kept apologizing and saying she was sorry. never once did she drop to her knees and beg to fix this. or for forgiveness. nothing. eventually we'd had enough and she left. she has now gone to her parents to, i thought, figure this out and try to get her head on straight. i know that i am a basket case and barely function. i assumed she was as well.

she has since told me that she hasn't talked to anyone yet about this, not even her parents, because she's not ready. fine. fair enough. BUT. i made the mistake of looking at our shared cell phone plan to see if in fact she really had stopped talking to this guy. once again i was devastated. since the first time they had sex there have been 100's of text messages (including picture messages) every single day, all day. she tells me she's not ready to talk to anyone yet she's sending this guy 100's of texts all day long from early morning until late night. i confronted her about this as well. i guess she finally put two and two together and figured out that i must have looked at our cell phone bill. her response was "i won't be spied on" and "if i want to talk to him right now i'm going to". and she went and got her own cell phone. i asked what was so special about this guy and the response is "he's positive and easy to talk to". i'll also mention that he's married and has two small children.

we have decided to stop all communication until saturday or sunday at which time we will talk. i requested that rather than talk on the phone we actually get together face to face and talk. in retrospect i'm not 100% sure that's the best idea.

i'm not an idiot. i see it staring me right in the face. my wife that i knew a month ago is gone. she doesn't care about me. about us. about our life. nothing.

what i don't know what do is what to do now. i'm devastated beyond words. the most i've been able to muster is to contact a counselor and talk with them. my first appt. was this morning. above and beyond that however i just simply don't know what to do. i have so many questions. i need to know the answers to why. i didn't deserve this. i love my wife. i want her back. i'm just so lost and i don't know how i can carry on with this heartbreak and betrayal especially when she shows little to no remorse for it and continues to talk to this guy.

i don't expect any answers. i know i won't ever get any to many of my questions.
thank you for letting me vent.

M
M
Hdw, if you are here for answers on how to save your marriage, you are in the right place. We understand your pain and feel your need to commiserate, but our purpose is to give you an action plan to save your marriage as we have saved ours. Please go start by reading the "read here first" thread in this forum and come back. We will help you develop a plan.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Have either you or your wife ever had an affair?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
Welcome to MB.

Please read ALL the threads in here. Start Here First-Welcome Aboard

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

K
K
My wife gave me the same complaints. Understand that right now, your wife is inside. What you see now is an addict getting her fix and she'll get mad at anyone who stands in her way.

Expose, hard and fast. all in one day to everyone. His wife especially. This will cause serious issues in affairland.

Me: 34 BH
Her: 31 FWW
DD (6)
DS (3)
D-day 2/2/13

K
K
I am sorry that you are going through this and you will find many here to include myself have been in the dark place you are, got their heads above water eventually by listening and following the plan outlined here. Rely heavily on this site and the radio show that Dr. H produces daily. I can not promise the overall outcome of your individual situation, but if you follow the plan here, you WILL gain the following:

1. Stop any further pain to your emotional well-being because of this, following what is known here as Plan A or Plan B.

2. Get to the ultimate truth of what occured during your wifes infidelity.

3. Have a plan that will work if you follow it and your wayward wife is willing to get onboard.

4. Protect your marriage from this never happening again should you choose to continue.

Listen, in many tragic events in life people often say "I know have you feel" well this site is full of those, like myself, that really do know how you feel. I still am experiecning the pain of my wives affair and it's been almost (1) year.

Allow yourself to hurt, it's ok, it is a blow to the gut that I feel few can endure. But know that you are strong and must take care of yourself to function. You can get through this either way, regardless of the outcome, but it will be tough.

MY BEST ADVISE: DO NOT BELIEVE YOUR WIFE FOR HER WORD RIGHT NOW, ONLY HER ACTIONS. EVERYTHING IS BEHAVIOR BASED.

I still follow this today with my FWW. Please try to be strong, she will pick up if you are weak and only go further from you. Your wife needs to know the reality of what she has done which includes you not standing for her infidelity any longer.

Stay active on this forum.

K
K
Yes, EXPOSE, EXPOSE, EXPOSE.....you can't wait on this step...I was a fool with my FWW by not listening to the posters here to EXPOSE as they first stated. I screwed around asking my wife questions to try and make myself feel better, all she did is lie, I even talke to the other male to get his side of the story, Really? It was all lies.

Get some hard evidence that is indisputable, such as phone records, photos' and then spend all the time you need telling the truth yourself.

Do not tell your wife when you are going to reveal this truth in their lovley little world. I called the OM wife when I went upstairs to go the bathroom. (Very appropriate). I told her who I was, what was going on and the evidence I had to support it. I exchanged my contact information with her and told her I wished to stay in touch as this thing fell apart.

Her and I talked for over an hour whiel I gave her as much details as I had. To my knowlwedge she then, called her parents, his parents and him with is new found knowledge.

Just be prepared, the OM had the nerve to tell me when I confronted him...don't tell my wife, I am kinda telling her in small doses becasue she suffers from depression (his second affair) this is between you and me. BS!!!

Expose this affair, don't worry about the fall out, it can only kill the affair...

B
B
Also have you been tested for STDs? Please do.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

H
hbw Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Hdw, if you are here for answers on how to save your marriage, you are in the right place. We understand your pain and feel your need to commiserate, but our purpose is to give you an action plan to save your marriage as we have saved ours. Please go start by reading the "read here first" thread in this forum and come back. We will help you develop a plan.

i am reading through that thread now. thanks.

H
hbw Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Have either you or your wife ever had an affair?

me? NEVER
her? one that i know of. i have no idea if she's done this before now. i can't believe a word she tells me.

H
hbw Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by klovelistener
My wife gave me the same complaints. Understand that right now, your wife is inside. What you see now is an addict getting her fix and she'll get mad at anyone who stands in her way.

Expose, hard and fast. all in one day to everyone. His wife especially. This will cause serious issues in affairland.

i'm fuzzy on the expose part that you and the person below mention.

i have the guys phone #.
i have his name.
i've looked at his facebook page
and his twitter page. i see he has a wife and two kids in the pictures.

i also have screen captures of the text messages from him to her and from my wife to her friend bragging. i have also saved off 6 months of phone bills as well. there was no contact with him that i see prior to this occuring a few weeks ago.

i told my wife initially that i was going to contact him but then i thought about it and backed off of it. i do not want to get in legal trouble for something she did just so i can try to feel better. when i told my wife i was going to contact him she literally BEGGED me not to.

are you suggesting that i do actually confront this guy on the phone and/or his wife?

Last edited by hbw; 06/11/13 04:07 PM.
H
hbw Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by KGaa12
I am sorry that you are going through this and you will find many here to include myself have been in the dark place you are, got their heads above water eventually by listening and following the plan outlined here. Rely heavily on this site and the radio show that Dr. H produces daily. I can not promise the overall outcome of your individual situation, but if you follow the plan here, you WILL gain the following:

1. Stop any further pain to your emotional well-being because of this, following what is known here as Plan A or Plan B.

2. Get to the ultimate truth of what occured during your wifes infidelity.

3. Have a plan that will work if you follow it and your wayward wife is willing to get onboard.

4. Protect your marriage from this never happening again should you choose to continue.

Listen, in many tragic events in life people often say "I know have you feel" well this site is full of those, like myself, that really do know how you feel. I still am experiecning the pain of my wives affair and it's been almost (1) year.

Allow yourself to hurt, it's ok, it is a blow to the gut that I feel few can endure. But know that you are strong and must take care of yourself to function. You can get through this either way, regardless of the outcome, but it will be tough.

MY BEST ADVISE: DO NOT BELIEVE YOUR WIFE FOR HER WORD RIGHT NOW, ONLY HER ACTIONS. EVERYTHING IS BEHAVIOR BASED.

I still follow this today with my FWW. Please try to be strong, she will pick up if you are weak and only go further from you. Your wife needs to know the reality of what she has done which includes you not standing for her infidelity any longer.

Stay active on this forum.

thank you for all of this. re: your advice... i don't believe her. and her actions with the constant texting tell me everything i need to know about how much she cares for me.

H
hbw Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by KGaa12
Yes, EXPOSE, EXPOSE, EXPOSE.....you can't wait on this step...I was a fool with my FWW by not listening to the posters here to EXPOSE as they first stated. I screwed around asking my wife questions to try and make myself feel better, all she did is lie, I even talke to the other male to get his side of the story, Really? It was all lies.

Get some hard evidence that is indisputable, such as phone records, photos' and then spend all the time you need telling the truth yourself.

Do not tell your wife when you are going to reveal this truth in their lovley little world. I called the OM wife when I went upstairs to go the bathroom. (Very appropriate). I told her who I was, what was going on and the evidence I had to support it. I exchanged my contact information with her and told her I wished to stay in touch as this thing fell apart.

Her and I talked for over an hour whiel I gave her as much details as I had. To my knowlwedge she then, called her parents, his parents and him with is new found knowledge.

Just be prepared, the OM had the nerve to tell me when I confronted him...don't tell my wife, I am kinda telling her in small doses becasue she suffers from depression (his second affair) this is between you and me. BS!!!

Expose this affair, don't worry about the fall out, it can only kill the affair...

please see my other response about this. i do not want to get into legal trouble for doing something like this. i also know, even though i'm 99.999999% sure my marriage is over, that if i do contact this guy or his wife that there's no possibility of reconciling with my wife at that point.

H
hbw Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Also have you been tested for STDs? Please do.

no. of course not. i thought i had a faithful wife up until last week.

i understand your point however.

K
K
There is nothing illegal over telling people about an affair. Waywards don't love BS when in the fog, they are like crack addicts. Waywards will sacrifice everything, including their children to continue the affair.

If you expose, it speeds the end of the affair. Once affair is over your spouse will go through withdrawl. Once withdrawl is over the fog should lift and they will see what they have done. THEN you have a chance to reconcile if you wish it.

As long as affair is in progress (and it is) then you are a barrier, not someone to love. You have to end the affair.

Me: 34 BH
Her: 31 FWW
DD (6)
DS (3)
D-day 2/2/13

M
M
i do not want to get into legal trouble for doing something like this. i also know, even though i'm 99.999999% sure my marriage is over, that if i do contact this guy or his wife that there's no possibility of reconciling with my wife at that point.

hbw,

So sorry you're having to go through this. I've BTDT too. I know your pain.

Ok, a few points:

- It is 100% LEGAL to speak the truth about anything, to anyone, as long as it's the truth.

The only thing you can get in trouble for is "slander", which is calling someone a name, or telling false truths about them. It is NOT slander to tell the truth to anyone at all about your wife having an affair. Just stick with the truth and you will be fine. In my 7 years on this board, I have NEVER seen anyone get in trouble for telling the truth.

- You can be 99.9999% sure that you will not have a marriage to save or reconcile, if you don't expose far and wide. Yes, your wife will be flippin mad. She will blame you for ending the marriage. She will tell you "Well, I was going to consider reconciliation until you pulled this!", she will say all kinds of things.

The point is, your marriage can and will survive her anger and wrath, but it will NOT survive if she is in an affair.

The only way to kill the affair is to expose it to every single person that has any influence over your wife. You need to ask the people you expose to on her side of the family and yours to help you with this by talking to your wife, and not accepting the other man.

You need to expose to the other's man wife immediately, and give her your contact info.

Your exposures need to be done tonight. Get your letter ready and expose all at once. Use FB as well, but copy all of the OM's contacts first into a word doc in case he tries to close you down. Send the messages a few minutes apart, so you don't get shut down. If you have to pay a $1 pay it.

Exposure is your most powerful weapon to kill the affair.

Last edited by MyJourney; 06/11/13 04:41 PM.

D-yr fall 06-fall 07
Separated 10/2010
Him-several affairs, last one 3/2011
Divorced filed 3/2011, final 3/2012

Formerly "Mopey".
http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2013149&page=1

After a 4 yr FR, it became CLEAR to me of what you can look for in a FR. And that is the absence of POJA, and/or if your spouse tramples on your boundaries. If someone is not willing to do POJA with you, and they don't respect your boundaries, imo, the relationship is doomed.
B
B
Originally Posted by hbw

i'm fuzzy on the expose part that you and the person below mention.

i have the guys phone #.
i have his name.
i've looked at his facebook page
and his twitter page. i see he has a wife and two kids in the pictures.

i also have screen captures of the text messages from him to her and from my wife to her friend bragging. i have also saved off 6 months of phone bills as well. there was no contact with him that i see prior to this occuring a few weeks ago.

i told my wife initially that i was going to contact him but then i thought about it and backed off of it. i do not want to get in legal trouble for something she did just so i can try to feel better. when i told my wife i was going to contact him she literally BEGGED me not to.

are you suggesting that i do actually confront this guy on the phone and/or his wife?
How will you get in trouble for telling the truth?

Wouldn't you want to have been told if someone else's had known?

The OMBW needs to be informed.

Keep all your evidence.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

M
M

I found this here, but it's true everywhere...

http://www.toplawfirm.com/whatisdefamation.html

What is Defamation? Do I have a case?

We can answer all your questions about defamation, but sometimes if you have a general understanding of the law, you can ask better questions about the facts of your case. Some attorneys think a defamation action is like a personal injury case, but the proof necessary for a defamation action is very different. As a nation, we put such a value on free speech that the burden is high to prove defamation.

Defamation is the inclusive term, including both slander and libel. In other words libel and slander are both defamation, but libel is printed and slander is spoken. Defamation occurs when someone makes a false, unprivileged statement about someone to a third party, which attacks the person's professional character or standing, claims that an unmarried person is unchaste, claims the person has a sexually transmitted disease, or that the person has committed a crime of moral turpitude. Stated another way, to constitute defamation the statement must falsely accuse the plaintiff of immoral, illegal or unethical conduct. Generally, the statement must harm the reputation of the person, but in the case of per se defamation, damages will be presumed. This last point is very important, because if a plaintiff had to prove actual damage, the burden of proof in most cases would be nearly impossible.

1. False Statement of Fact

Truth is an absolute defense to a claim for defamation. No one can prevent you from telling the truth, even if that truth harms someone else. Further, the statement of an opinion generally will not constitute defamation, since it is not offered as a statement of fact. For example, if a food critic states that a restaurant serves horrible food, that is not defamation since taste will always be an opinion. Even if the restaurant brought 100 witnesses to court to attest that the food is wonderful, the critic is still entitled to his opinion.

On the other hand, some believe that they can escape liability by casting a fact as an opinion. A number of clients have come to us for a second opinion after another attorney has told them a statement is not defamatory because it was stated as an opinion. Adding the word "opinion" to a defamatory statement does not automatically shield the speaker from liability. The determining factor is whether the "opinion" is about a verifiable fact. For example, as stated above, a food critic is protected when he offers his opinion about the food, but if he says, "in my opinion the food was horrible and the restaurant has rats," the statement about rats is defamation (assuming it is false) because it is a verifiable fact. Similarly, "in my opinion, he cheats on his taxes" is a defamatory statement since it is the assertion of a fact, even though it is called an opinion.

Context is everything in determining whether the speaker was offering the statement as a verifiable fact. We once received a call from someone who was checking out at a local supermarket, and tried to pay with a Discover card. The cashier said the store didn't accept that credit card, and when the customer said he had always paid with his Discover card, the cashier rudely responded, "You're crazy; I've been here ten years and we have never taken Discover cards." The thin-skinned caller wanted to sue for defamation because she had accused him of being crazy in front of the other people in line. Clearly the statement was not intended as a verifiable fact. The cashier was not saying, "you are suffering from a mental illness that would be verified by an examination from an appropriate mental health professional." She was just expressing in a colorful, albeit rude, manner that he was mistaken about the Discover cards.

In determining whether a statement is true or false, you must also examine how the statement is made. If a newspaper reports that Joe Dokes was arrested and charged with murder, and it is later determined that Joe Dokes was innocent, that does not mean that the newspaper is now liable for defamation. What the newspaper reported was absolutely true -- he was arrested and charged with murder.

Similarly, the statement must be viewed in context. Upon learning that you and your spouse make it a point to go on a "date night" every week, Dr. Laura calls you "bad parents" on the radio because she feels that parents should never leave their children with a babysitter. You could not sue for defamation, because she is entitled to believe and say that such conduct constitutes bad parenting. In one Internet defamation case, a court held that calling someone a liar was not defamatory when the circumstances made clear that the speaker did not have sufficient facts to reach that conclusion.

D-yr fall 06-fall 07
Separated 10/2010

Formerly "Mopey".
http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2013149&page=1

After a 4 yr FR, it became CLEAR to me of what you can look for in a FR. And that is the absence of POJA, and/or if your spouse tramples on your boundaries. If someone is not willing to do POJA with you, and they don't respect your boundaries, imo, the relationship is doomed.
M
M

D-yr fall 06-fall 07
Separated 10/2010

Formerly "Mopey".

H
hbw Offline OP
OP Offline
H
There is nothing illegal over telling people about an affair. Waywards don't love BS when in the fog, they are like crack addicts. Waywards will sacrifice everything, including their children to continue the affair.

If you expose, it speeds the end of the affair. Once affair is over your spouse will go through withdrawl. Once withdrawl is over the fog should lift and they will see what they have done. THEN you have a chance to reconcile if you wish it.

As long as affair is in progress (and it is) then you are a barrier, not someone to love. You have to end the affair.

i briefly spoke with a divorce lawyer yesterday. he HEAVILY advised that i do not contact the guy or his wife. he said it could lead to some serious legal trouble for me if the guy wanted to pursue it.

i understand and hear what you all are telling me with regards to this but i'm extremely wary of it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 1,093 guests, and 72 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation