Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
M
Is he still in contact with the affair partner?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Here's an example of what decent people think about the dickering over what does and does not constitute an affair:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/mb2.cfm?recno=4&sublink=33&subsublink=307

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
The one having an affair is in no position to bargain, but he or she usually tries anyway. The bargaining effort usually boils down to somehow keeping the lover in the loop. You'd think that the unfaithful spouse would be so aware of his or her weaknesses, and so aware of the pain inflicted, that every effort would be made to avoid further contact with the lover as an act of thoughtfulness to the stunned spouse. But instead, the unfaithful spouse argues that the relationship was "only sexual" or was "emotional but not sexual" or some other peculiar description to prove that continued contact with the lover would be okay.

Most victimized spouses intuitively understand that all contact with a lover must end for life. Permanent separation not only helps prevent a renewal of the affair, but it is also a crucial gesture of consideration to someone who has been through hell. What victimized spouse would ever want to know that his or her spouse is seeing or communicating with a former lover at work or in some other activity?

Decent people with more than a couple of brain cells to knock together think that it is reprehensible to step out on your wife and engage in foreplay (and who knows what else) with another woman, and beyond ridiculous to come back and quibble over whether it was technically "cheating" or not.

An affair is the worst trauma imaginable even if there was no sexual activity whatsoever. So an affair with foreplay alone certainly constitutes "cheating." But I would find out if there was more to it than that or not.

Do you know who it was with?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Here's how his mind is working:

I hope she doesn't find out I boned three women. I'll tell her it was just touching. Maybe she'll feel like that's not as bad, and that she doesn't have the right to ask me to change anything since it wasn't intercourse. I wish she would quit bringing this up. Thankfully I'm sure this will blow over soon. She always puts up with anything. Say, that babe in the corner there with the sure skirt sure looks foxy tonight.

B
B
Originally Posted by markos
Do you know who it was with?

Here it is.
Originally Posted by justfree
i agree he is minimizing it, that is why I a wanting insight from the veterans here to help me address this with him and help him see how he is rationalizing and minimizing.

OW lives out of the country. We lived out of the country when affair took place, there is NC.

How is the assumption and leap to prostitution made? This happened when we lived overseas. His affair was with a clingy woman who was doing interpreting for us for business. She was a flirty girl with all the men but I saw her get stars in her eyes for WH, the second I got a suspension & hint of what was happening I confronted him (within weeks of me seeing this). She was still working for us for another 3 weeks longer, but I saw the changes indicating it was over. It really was out of convenience he messed around and not love.

She moved 3,000 miles to another entire island of the country and we left the country a short time later. There is certainly NC. And all happened quite a few years ago, but as we are working on our marriage the affair became a topic of conversation because I wanted answers and understanding.

I did get him to understand for me, anything he experienced with her, conversations and the like are secrets. I want them to no longer be secrets. So he is telling me things. This was long enough ago and short enough some of the memories are all that fresh. I am even filling in some of the details that he doesn't remember about the time.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
justfree, to be quite honest, I have heard better excuses from wetbrains at AA meetings. Your H has very low quality lies and excuses. How is that? Is he used to being in an environment where he gets away with such bullshytt? He is not very creative and doesn't put much effort into his lies.

Is he a habitual liar?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
For example, if he told a lie like that at your average AA meeting, the table would burst out laughing.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
I am looking for assistance on how his mind may be working to not call that part an affair.
justfree, your WH is trying to dodge his responsibility in this terrible act he has committed against you. He's figuring that, as long as he didn't 'touch' her during his act of infidelity against you, it didn't 'mean' anything. Therefore, it was a victimless crime in his mind. As the other posters have said, it is his way of minimizing this terrible thing and avoiding responsibility.

WRONG. He cruelly betrayed you. This is akin to him saying "I know I cut you, but it was your choice to bleed."

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 312 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation