Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
M
Originally Posted by markos
You need to find out what is going on, and you need to consistently indicate to him that the bar has been raised and that if he wants to keep you he is going to have to start putting more into this relationship instead of dismissing all of your complaints with disrespectful remarks. I would start quietly preparing for a separation now because there is a good chance you are going to have to go that far before he will decide he has to actually take your complaints seriously - and if he doesn't, you will at least have made preparations for an independent life.

I meant to include a link to this very important article by Dr. Harley:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi8111_quit.html

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Originally Posted by lovehurts2
Have you ever talked to his past wife (wives) about what happened to end his marriage? This might be very informative for you.

She has been a problem by trying to contact him repeatedly. They have no children. She has a drinking problem and has been arrested for DUI.

Have you ever talked to her, though, or is this just what he has told you?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
Thanks. I just hate doing it,it makes me feel horrible.

It's a great thing for your marriage, though. Eventually you may grow to feel proud of taking such marriage affirming actions.

I
I
Brainhurts, he drinks nearly everyday. At first, it was a beer or two after work. Now he drinks on the way home and has at least two till he gets home. He continues drinking until after supper. Today he drank at least a six pack.

I've talked with him on the drinking while driving and said I didn't like it. He says I worry too much.

Do yourself and the rest of us a service by reporting him for the DUI! He needs JAIL therapy for this behavior.

He's going to kill someone's loved ones if he keeps that up. Please get him off the road!

Me 58: FWH (NC 32 yr), W 60, married 36 yr, DD 32
I
I
If he drives while drinking daily, he has an alcohol problem.

Your relationship cannot be made healthy until he has stopped drinking.

L
OP Offline
L
Have you ever talked to her, though, or is this just what he has told you?
No, I have not talked to her. I know she has tried calling the house several times because I've seen the call logs. She does this at 1 am too. She sent a text message calling me a name. I've never contacted her or talked to her, I don't think it would be wise.

BW 54 (me)
RH 55
L
OP Offline
L
I agree on the drinking and driving 100%. I worry so much about that. I want to sit down and talk about it with him and come to a resolution. Is it wrong of me to think about leaving if he doesn't stop that behavior?

BW 54 (me)
RH 55
L
OP Offline
L
I checked his work phone, no calls or texts from anyone I didnt know.

BW 54 (me)
RH 55
L
OP Offline
L
He will never quit, he told me so. He said he doesn't think he has a problem just because he has a few beers after work.

I did ask him if he would go to counseling with me and he said if it would help me. I suppose the thought is to just get him to go.

BW 54 (me)
RH 55
L
L
I hope you understand their is no way for you to have a loving marriage without him quitting his drinking. If it is not a big deal then he should have no problem quitting for you, but you and I know that it is a problem. Dr. H is very clear you can't deal with anything else in you marriage until he gives up drinking.
He has been doing this for a long time and I'm not sure if he is willing to give it up for you, so you make have to be prepare to walk away if he is not willing to change it. He has to go to get Support by himself not with you that is not going to work.

Me 40M
Wife 43F
3 kids 9M, 5M, 1F

Together 15 yrs, Married 10 yrs, live together most of our dating life. Did not live together our year of our engagement. Working hard to fall more in love with my wife.
L
OP Offline
L
Since he has already told me he won't quit, I suppose my next step is to begin preparing to leave. I know I can't live like this. When he is drinking, I am careful of what I say because he will get upset very easily. He seems sullen during the day, like he is right now - no smiles, no happiness, quiet, not talkative. After a few beers, he seems happier, talkative.

It is hard accepting that he loves himself and beer more than me but really, he has shown me this for several months now. I just didn't want to accept it.

I will give him one more chance and see if he is willing to stop even though deep down, I know the answer.

M
M
He will never quit, he told me so. He said he doesn't think he has a problem just because he has a few beers after work.

I wouldn't argue the point with him - just let him know that if he wants to stay with you, he will have to give this up. Dr. Harley recommends an agreement for life that if he ever has EVEN ONE DRINK he will enter a treatment facility. EACH AND EVERY TIME.

There is a chapter on alcohol in Dr. Harley's book Love Busters that you might want to read. Dr. Harley also has some articles on this website:
What to do with an alcoholic spouse #1
What to do with an alcoholic spouse #2
ALcohol, Abuse, and Infidelity

Also, did you read this article that I posted? It is very important:

When to call it quits #1
When to call it quits #2

M
M
I will give him one more chance and see if he is willing to stop even though deep down, I know the answer.

I would suggest that you don't really know until you follow through with a separation and breaking off contact with him. (What Dr. Harley calls Plan B.) At this point, there is a chance he may rise to the occasion and change his life. Or he may not. Either way, you are safe - either you are protected from the continued emotional fallout of contact with him, or he reforms.

L
OP Offline
L
I'm sad to say that at 11:15 am, he is now having his first beer. He is snappish to me but trying to add please when asking me to do something for him.

This is partly my fault for not waiting to get married. I know I should have as you don't really know a person until you live with them and see them in the daily routine, especially after a few months when false fronts become more difficult to maintain.

L
L
I agree you should of taken more time to get to know him before marriage but you shouldn't live together first.

Me 40M
Wife 43F
3 kids 9M, 5M, 1F

Together 15 yrs, Married 10 yrs, live together most of our dating life. Did not live together our year of our engagement. Working hard to fall more in love with my wife.
B
B

I did ask him if he would go to counseling with me and he said if it would help me. I suppose the thought is to just get him to go.
Does he also think he doesn't have a problem, when he puts hundreds at risk when he breaks the law by drinking and driving?

Please read the articles that markos has posted to you.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

I
I
Save a life.

Call the police when he is drinking while driving. Tell them where he is, where he is going, and describe he vehicle.

This calls for consequences. Especially the loss of his drivers license. He is playing Russian roulette with many innocent lives.

M
M
This is partly my fault for not waiting to get married. I know I should have as you don't really know a person until you live with them and see them in the daily routine, especially after a few months when false fronts become more difficult to maintain.

We're going to help you develop some new standards to hold to and means of enforcing them - you can live in such a way that you are safe and secure because your husband will have to behave if he wants to keep you in his life. As someone else noted, living together actually doesn't typically lead to more successful marriages. It actually causes people to set up bad habits before getting married that lead to marital failure later on.

You might want to check out Dr. Harley's book Buyers, Renters, and Freeloaders. There is also a great thread with that title on this site that has quite a bit of information as well. What we can do is help you adopt the tools that lead to a permanent Buyer's agreement rather than a Renter or Freeloader arrangement: a man will have to choose to become a Buyer with you in order to keep you. This is what leads to marital success.

M
M

I wouldn't argue the point with him - just let him know that if he wants to stay with you, he will have to give this up. Dr. Harley recommends an agreement for life that if he ever has EVEN ONE DRINK he will enter a treatment facility. EACH AND EVERY TIME.

There is a chapter on alcohol in Dr. Harley's book Love Busters that you might want to read. Dr. Harley also has some articles on this website:
What to do with an alcoholic spouse #1
What to do with an alcoholic spouse #2
ALcohol, Abuse, and Infidelity

Also, did you read this article that I posted? It is very important:

When to call it quits #1
When to call it quits #2

Did you read those articles? (Not a rhetorical question - looking for a yes or no. wink )

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 665 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Comfortable Shoe, Sourdine, Abela Laye, Ardent Center, Lost@1969
71,846 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation