Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 24 25
M
M
Originally Posted by Still_Crazy
I know what you are saying Markos but once again like I said it just makes me see even more what a selfish person my DD is and it is just sad sad sad.

I don't guess I understand what you are saying. What is wrong with the choices your daughter made? How does it affect you negatively?

Last edited by markos; 10/27/14 01:52 PM.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
U
U
Originally Posted by unwritten
like I said she is my DD and I love her more than life and would not let others talk about her but she is very very very selfish and does not think of others in most anything she does.
It is strange to me because I am not that way and neither of our other two children are that way but this one is and I am not sure if anything is going to bring her out of that.

One reason she is very very selfish is because she is surrounded by people who enable her to be.

I can tell you one thing that is not going to bring her out of that, continuing to enable her.

As far as that goes most people just let her be mean to them and do not say anything to her, I am one of the only ones that will tell her when she is being selfish.

I have a 13 year old daughter, who can act a bit selfish as is probably common for 13 yr old daughters. An example of an exchange between us is 'can you take me to (friends) house?' 'no I'm sorry I am busy doing (chore)' [ensuing minor teenage outburst] 'that's so rude I cannot believe you are saying no, I never get to see my friends, you never let me have any fun.....' 'darling don't you think you are being selfish here?'

The end to that example is that she probably right now does NOT see how that is selfish, but likewise I do NOT stop my chore and bring her to her friends and give in to her selfish behavior. I just carry on and let her be angry, and let her feel like she is missing out, and realize that giving in to her might make her happy NOW but in the long run it is sending the wrong message.

Around here words mean nothing, actions are what carry weight. Telling her she is selfish while enabling her selfish behavior is not going to make an impact.

U
U
I can make the BF leave but that does nothing for my selfish DD except enable her even more.

I disagree with this. Right now she has so much cake around her she has NO consequences to her behavior. She has you putting a roof over her head, her ex-bf living in her house still and presumably filling her needs since according to you he wants her back, and a new guy on the side! She even has a car to drive that was basically given to her by her bf so she wouldn't suffer the consequences of breaking up with him, while she pursued the new guy.

M
M
Originally Posted by markos
How was she bad, here? What was wrong with her letting boyfriend and you pay for her expenses while she looked around for a better deal?

Once again I do not pay for her expenses but the boyfriend did.....

How is that bad?

What is bad is not giving the BF his fair share......

It's not like he married her. He got a month to month arrangement, and now it is over. If he wanted more, he could have told her he wouldn't live with her or do any of this stuff without a legal marriage.

If he wanted more, he should've put a ring on it. If she wanted all this stuff from him, she should've put a ring on it. Maybe he'll learn not to give so much without commitment next time. Or maybe he's perfectly happy and will move on to the next cheap lay whose mother puts him up.

Either way, it's his life lesson to learn - how does any of this affect you?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2825884 10/27/14 02:12 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I know what you are saying Markos but once again like I said it just makes me see even more what a selfish person my DD is and it is just sad sad sad.

I don't guess I understand what you are saying. What is wrong with the choices your daughter made? How does it affect you negatively?

Because she has made horrible choices and as her mother I hate it and it makes me sad even though I know there is nothing I can do about it as they are her choices to make not mine, but it does make me sad that my own daughter cannot see the selfishness herself.

markos #2825885 10/27/14 02:16 PM
S
OP Offline
S
It's not like he married her. He got a month to month arrangement, and now it is over. If he wanted more, he could have told her he wouldn't live with her or do any of this stuff without a legal marriage.

If he wanted more, he should've put a ring on it. If she wanted all this stuff from him, she should've put a ring on it. Maybe he'll learn not to give so much without commitment next time. Or maybe he's perfectly happy and will move on to the next cheap lay whose mother puts him up.

Either way, it's his life lesson to learn - how does any of this affect you?

While I know that this discussion is about the poor choices my DD has made I really do not appreciate you calling her a cheap lay.

And once again I do not know why you insist that I am taking care of him when that is not true.

How it affects me is that I hate what my DD has done to this guy, it bothers me and is causing me anxiety.

S
OP Offline
S
I can make the BF leave but that does nothing for my selfish DD except enable her even more.

I disagree with this. Right now she has so much cake around her she has NO consequences to her behavior. She has you putting a roof over her head, her ex-bf living in her house still and presumably filling her needs since according to you he wants her back, and a new guy on the side! She even has a car to drive that was basically given to her by her bf so she wouldn't suffer the consequences of breaking up with him, while she pursued the new guy.

Maybe you are correct, I still feel really bad for the BF however and like I said to think that my DD did this is beyond me.....

S
OP Offline
S
I have a 13 year old daughter, who can act a bit selfish as is probably common for 13 yr old daughters. An example of an exchange between us is 'can you take me to (friends) house?' 'no I'm sorry I am busy doing (chore)' [ensuing minor teenage outburst] 'that's so rude I cannot believe you are saying no, I never get to see my friends, you never let me have any fun.....' 'darling don't you think you are being selfish here?'

The end to that example is that she probably right now does NOT see how that is selfish, but likewise I do NOT stop my chore and bring her to her friends and give in to her selfish behavior. I just carry on and let her be angry, and let her feel like she is missing out, and realize that giving in to her might make her happy NOW but in the long run it is sending the wrong message.

Around here words mean nothing, actions are what carry weight. Telling her she is selfish while enabling her selfish behavior is not going to make an impact.

All of my children did things like that and I did not drop what I was doing to take them anywhere. They also hated it because unless they had a fever or were puking I made them go to school, they would always say "so and so's mom let's them stay home" to which I would reply "well I am not so and so's mom am I"

They also did not get their license until they were 18 because they had to pay for drivers ed if they wanted them and they chose not, they never got cell phones until they had a job and got them for themselves.

While I know that I am enabling her selfishness now, I did not teach her to be selfish and both of my other children are so opposite of her that it sometimes seems like she is not my child lol

Last edited by Still_Crazy; 10/27/14 02:26 PM.
U
U
I agree that children can have diff personalities and one can be more naturally self centered than the others. But that makes it even more important not to enable selfish behavior in someone who tends to let their taker run the show.

S
OP Offline
S
I guess I have to go home and tell the BF he has to go, I just still feel horrible for him.....

S
OP Offline
S
And my DD, I just hope she realizes before she enters into another relationship.

S
OP Offline
S
Just what I knew all along, my eldest DD just called me to tell me the DD we have been discussing posted something on one of her social networking things about being sad, so the eldest DD called her and the DD we have been discussing said the OS friend told her he would no longer be coming over to the house for some reason and she was crying and told my eldest daughter that if she would have known that she would not have broke up with her BF.

That makes me so angry at her.....

P
P
She's not going to grow up and act mature until you stop enabling her.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

Prisca #2825897 10/27/14 03:57 PM
U
U
Why would the new bf not want to hang out at home with the old bf? Strange. think

Last edited by unwritten; 10/27/14 03:58 PM.
U
U
Although this behavior is a bit selfish yes, it is true that they are not married, so you're DD does have every right to play the field. I wouldn't be too hard on her for that, just her less that straightforward methods. But I do hope you ingest some of what has been said about enabling. Perhaps since new bf is not working out she will go back to old bf, maybe not. Either way you can see that your method of supporting them has led them further from marriage and a life of 'buying' instead of closer.

S
OP Offline
S
Why would the new bf not want to hang out at home with the old bf? Strange. think

This made me laugh but the new BF is not a new BF my DD was infatuated with him, I do not think he ever thought of her as a GF it is just my DD. I do not know his reasoning for no longer coming over but he is friends with the old BF too not just my DD.

And I do see that I am hurting THEM not helping THEM. And I really hope the old BF sites not go back with her

S
OP Offline
S
Although this behavior is a bit selfish yes, it is true that they are not married, so you're DD does have every right to play the field. I wouldn't be too hard on her for that, just her less that straightforward methods. But I do hope you ingest some of what has been said about enabling. Perhaps since new bf is not working out she will go back to old bf, maybe not. Either way you can see that your method of supporting them has led them further from marriage and a life of 'buying' instead of closer.

And that is what I am upset with her about, I can't blame her if she no longer wishes to be with this BF if that is what she wants, it is the selfishness and just the WAY she did it.

S
OP Offline
S
Ok so I told the BF he had until the middle of next month to get a vehicle and another place.

I tried to talk to my DD to let her know the BF is using the majority of their savings to have a down payment on a car and a deposit on a place to live but she is too upset about the OS friend no longer coming over that she has been in her room most of the night she did not even come down for dinner.

M
M
I understand what you are saying Melody but regardless of my beliefs I can't push them on my children,

That doesn't mean you have to enable your own children in your own home. Being an enabler is not a good example of parenting. You allowed your own daughter to be treated as an unpaid wh*re right under your own roof in a destructive relationship. You condoned it.

You didn't have to allow your daughter to shack up like a hoe in your own house. All it did was wreck her relationship and wreck her life.

Parents are supposed to use their influence to persuade their children to make SOUND decisions.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
if I let them live with me long enough to save toward their marriage and house

How much does it cost to get married? A license is less than $50, right? crazy

How many years have they lived with you, and they still don't have $50 to their name?

My DD wanted a big wedding with all the everything and me and her dad don't have the money for anything so they will be doing it on their own. I am not trying to make excuses for them I am just telling you what has happened.

You are just making excuses for your own enabling behavior.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Page 5 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 906 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation