Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
L
Originally Posted by CatLes
the cousin is 21, no job, no visa (she is from the UK), no skills except singing (usually in bars), uses drugs and is sexually promiscuous.

Then your problem will solve itself because cousin-slag entered on a the visa waiver scheme on which she is not permitted to work so they will quickly starve. She will have to leave at the end of 90 days and will not be able to return for at least 90 days. If she visits more than twice in one year and she will be refused entry even as a tourist.

Even if you and your wife divorce (I hope you don't) and she marries cousin-slag it will be another three years or so before she can get a spousal greencard. The fling will be long dead by then.

By the way, if cousin-slag has any kind of criminal record, you can prevent her from setting foot in the country ever again by reporting fraudulent use of the visa waiver scheme.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
B
B
The entire OW's family knows and is supportive of the affair/relationship between the cousins.

As I said before, their philosophy is "Love is Love". Personally, I think that the OW's family just wants her to come to the US and get her out from underfoot.

Of course, the destruction of our family and the collateral fallout both social and financial and the fact that this affair will most likely blow up within months as my wife is 40, has no money, no credit, no home, no skills except a failing horse business and the cousin is 21, no job, no visa (she is from the UK), no skills except singing (usually in bars), uses drugs and is sexually promiscuous. Add to this the fact that they are in a one bedroom cottage with the three kids and the reality that every time the cousin has come and/or been with my wife, she has been on vacation with no responsibility...

You never know what can happen, but I don't see a good way out of this for her.

She has no concept
But just a few days ago you said this.

I haven't spoken to them directly but I have no reason to doubt it. It fits.

So have you spoken to them?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

C
CatLes Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Yes. I have communicated with them. They have been told and are still supportive of the affair.

They actually really like me but apparently "love is love" and damn the collateral damage and the ultimate futility of this relationship.

C
CatLes Offline OP
OP Offline
C
On another note, why does everyone say that lesbian affairs are so fragile?

I am not doubting it, but I keep hearing that on MB but I can't figure out the elements of why.

I am not discounting my own actions that made this affair possible. I struggled with anxiety and depression, never made her feel special (other than supporting her kids, family and business). I am relatively unemotional and she described me as "the most unselfish person I have ever known."

Funny, I thought love was all about unselfishness and considering other people, especially your spouse, above your own needs.

I know I screwed up, but this reaction is just so over the top. I do expect it to end now that they are living together. I just don't know what happens after that. I suppose it is possible that they will stay together longer term, but I can't imagine that happening.

M
M
On another note, why does everyone say that lesbian affairs are so fragile?

I am not doubting it, but I keep hearing that on MB but I can't figure out the elements of why.

Dr Harley is the clinical psychologist who founded Marriage Builders and this has been his clinical experience with lesbian affairs:

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
"I have treated same-sex affairs the way I treat heterosexual affairs. And the results are about the same. The biggest difference is that the BS usually gives up sooner because they feel they can't compete if their spouse is same-sex attracted. But if they stick it out, the affair usually dies a natural death in a relatively short time. Lesbian relationships last about half as long as gay relationships which last about half as long as heterosexual relationships. So there should be optimism when a spouse is in a lesbian relationship. "

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

N
N
I'm in a similar situation. In lesbian relationships, 3 years is considered long-term. They are notoriously volatile. Even on lesbian forums they'll tell you 1 year in a lesbian relationship is like 7 years in a heterosexual relationship. The old joke "What does a lesbian bring to their second date? A U-Haul truck" holds true in my wife's case. I believe the study Dr. Harley cites says that the average lesbian relationship lasts for 2 years. When you add the dynamics of an affair to that it's bound to fail sooner than the average affair.

Remarried 7/16
Thanks MB!
C
CatLes Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Yeah, I suppose I should get some professional council from Dr. Harley on this.

Logic tells me that this is an affair with all its baggage and unrealistic expectations. What I need to do is figure out what I need to do to change my own behaviors so that either in this relationship (or another one if she insists on divorce), I don't make the same mistakes.

She has unrealistic expectations of a relationship. I had poor skills in meeting her needs. In retrospect, it was bound to blow up. I just wish the reaction didn't involve her 20 year old lesbian cousin.

M
M

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Yeah, I suppose I should get some professional council from Dr. Harley on this.

He is not in private practice anymore. He has a couples online program for couples and he has a radio show. You can get free advice from him if you email his radio show. You can decide if you want to go on his show or he can just answer your questions via email. Just go to the radio link above.

Logic tells me that this is an affair with all its baggage and unrealistic expectations. What I need to do is figure out what I need to do to change my own behaviors so that either in this relationship (or another one if she insists on divorce), I don't make the same mistakes.

We can help you with this.

She has unrealistic expectations of a relationship. I had poor skills in meeting her needs.

What are her unrealistic expectations?

Exposure 101

N
N
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

Not to thread jack, but thank you for that, Melody. I hadn't heard that one.

Remarried 7/16
Thanks MB!
M
M
You are very welcome!

Exposure 101

C
CatLes Offline OP
OP Offline
C
That was actually a quote from my therapist. My wife defines herself through other people fully meeting her every need. When they don't, she gets hurt, disappointed and unfulfilled.

I totally admit to screwing up on the emotional side of the house. I kept giving and giving (she even said to me, you are the most unselfish person I have ever known), but my "love language" was Acts of Service. Hers was physical touch and..well..basically all the other ones.

I gave and I gave everything. supported her business with money, time and watching kids, bought a house with her parents so that we could help take care of them, loved her children as my own, worked to provide so that she could focus on growing her business. She had a miscarriage a year ago october and that seemed to be a "bell" going off in her head. She just wants to "live life" now and not "miss out" on anything, whatever that means.

She said she fell out of love with me months ago. 3.9 years is a pretty short amount of time to do that.

M
M
That was actually a quote from my therapist. My wife defines herself through other people fully meeting her every need. When they don't, she gets hurt, disappointed and unfulfilled.

People get married to get their needs met so this makes perfect sense. Most therapists don't understand the dynamics of what makes a marriage works so they have unrealistic ideas about marriage. For example, people fall in love when their needs are met for a certain amount of time each week. Therapists don't understand how that works.

I totally admit to screwing up on the emotional side of the house. I kept giving and giving (she even said to me, you are the most unselfish person I have ever known), but my "love language" was Acts of Service. Hers was physical touch and..well..basically all the other ones.

The REASON your wife fell out of love is because you were not meeting her intimate emotional needs for 15+ hours per week. But it also sounds like you were giving her unconditional, sacrificial love:

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
It tends to give such people unrealistic expectations of entitlement�that they should be cared for, regardless of their willingness to care in return. Neglect and abuse characterize many marriages based on unconditional love.

She said she fell out of love with me months ago. 3.9 years is a pretty short amount of time to do that.

The reasons for that could be:

1. she met someone who met her needs better than you

2. you were not spending 15+ hours per week meeting each others intimate emotional needs

3. you were lovebusting her

Which of those do you think apply?

Exposure 101

C
CatLes Offline OP
OP Offline
C
As far as lovebusters go, independent behavior for sure. She said "you never let me take care of you". I struggle with depression and anxiety and I never wanted to trouble someone else with my problems.

We absolutely didn't spend enough time together and certainly not 15 hours. She said at the end that "I found my emotional outlet at the barn" where she has a business. Unfortunately, I kept enabling that behavior because I thought that was what she wanted.

The cousin came last summer and I think she saw in her her own youth (they look a lot alike). She had a bad first marriage where she always said she "lost her youth". She is partying like a rock star these days and has largely abandoned all her responsibilities at the big house with her parents. Her business is suffering because she isn't doing it well. The cousin is her reliving her youth and getting her emotional/physical needs met. This year it all came to a head.

J
J
Sir,

Don't go to a therapist to discuss your marriage.
You will not find good guidance

C
CatLes Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Yeah, it was necessary at the beginning as I needed someone to talk to about this. Now I just focus on my own emotional problems at my sessions.

I am committed to keep trying for my marriage. Hopefully, you all can help.

C
CatLes Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Just to add to the pile, we would be in Plan B, if I understand it correctly. I have little to no communication with WW except when we meet for mediation and child duties. If all goes according to plan, she will file for divorce after the one year of being separated.

She has declared herself a lesbian regardless of whether or not the cousin stays in the picture. She said she started to fall in love with the cousin last summer but didn't realize it until this year in August. She has no remorse about the ongoing affair although she does say she feels regret for hurting me.

The total time spent together as lovers of the cousin and my wife is approximately 1 month. 2 weeks in the summer. One week in North Carolina and One week overseas. They text and Skype constantly when they are not together.

I need to ask: is there any hope here at all or am I just fooling myself?

M
M
Just to add to the pile, we would be in Plan B, if I understand it correctly. I have little to no communication with WW except when we meet for mediation and child duties. If all goes according to plan, she will file for divorce after the one year of being separated.

I would not go into Plan B. And what you describe above is not Plan B. Plan B is a completely dark separation with no contact at all.

She has declared herself a lesbian regardless of whether or not the cousin stays in the picture. She said she started to fall in love with the cousin last summer but didn't realize it until this year in August. She has no remorse about the ongoing affair although she does say she feels regret for hurting me.

This means nothing except she is in love with the OW. Like Harley pointed out, lesbian affairs are the easiest to bust up beucase they are so fragile. It doesn't matter what she "declares" while she is a fogged out wayward. When the affair crumbles her feelings will change.

I need to ask: is there any hope here at all or am I just fooling myself?

Yes there is hope.

Exposure 101

C
CatLes Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Ok. I will read about plan a.

Thanks. This is hard. I appreciate the support.

C
CatLes Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Oh good. Just got the "Stop telling the kids that you love me. There is no hope for reconciliation."

Blah

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 676 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation