Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
P
P
Aside from divine intervention inside my wife's heart I really don't believe this can be saved.
You're right. If you followed the plan here, it could actually be saved. But if you have no intention of doing that, then there is no hope and you might as well proceed with a divorce.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

B
B
Originally Posted by Texan44
I am not going to put her out in the street.

No one advised you to do anything like that.

As long as she is in the house she understands that there can be NO engaging in outside relationships with men

She understands no such thing. However, she does understand you will stay with her at all costs. How many outside relationships has she engaged in while she's in the house? You are lying to yourself.

and I will be checking up on her.

Why bother? And that is a sincere question. You will stay and not expose her affairs so why bother checking up on her?

I didn't mean to waste anyone's time and I was sincerely looking for a way to save my marriage.

If you are sincerely looking for a way to save your marriage then you should actually work the program...

Right now all my hope is in Jesus Christ.

because this^^^ is not a plan.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
I
I
Originally Posted by markos
So now that you are thinking straight, you are going to tell your children about her affairs, right?

Are you listening to the Marriage Builders Radio show?

I am not going to talk to my 10 year old son about how his mother allowing men to use her sexually. I haven't decided what I am going to do yet.

Graphics aren't required when exposing to children but the truth is. He should know mum has boyfriends because there is no other way to explain. You also have NO idea what he's seen.

Lots of OM prey on children too so your son must know you will believe him.

Far from advising to put her out on the street, Dr H advises quite the opposite. Get your wife the help she needs and be her hero at this time.

Kicking her out is expressly forbidden.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

T
Texan44 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by black_raven
She understands no such thing. However, she does understand you will stay with her at all costs. How many outside relationships has she engaged in while she's in the house? You are lying to yourself.

I have already explained to her that I cannot abide her behavior, and that no matter how much I love her I will not be made miserable. I will not stay married to her "no matter what." I am sick to death of the lying and pain. I have had enough. I still have a nagging hope that things can turn around, and it only causes me more pain.

Originally Posted by black_raven
Why bother? And that is a sincere question. You will stay and not expose her affairs so why bother checking up on her?

I never said I didn't proceed with exposure at all. I have already told my entire family, and our friends. I have told her family but been met mostly with "it's really none of our business" and awkward silence on the other end of the line. The only one I'm leaving out is my son. This is a judgement call on my part.

If you are sincerely looking for a way to save your marriage then you should actually work the program...

I don't see how I can do more than I am doing, sincerely. She will not cooperate with this program. She has said it more than once. She will not agree to individual nor couples counseling. She is biding her time because she has very few choices.

T
Texan44 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by indiegirl
Graphics aren't required when exposing to children but the truth is. He should know mum has boyfriends because there is no other way to explain. You also have NO idea what he's seen.

Lots of OM prey on children too so your son must know you will believe him.

Far from advising to put her out on the street, Dr H advises quite the opposite. Get your wife the help she needs and be her hero at this time.

Kicking her out is expressly forbidden.

My wife has never brought another person into our physical home. I have asked my neighbors. I have asked my older son (who lived with us until he was 21 and was home most of the time) about the older issues, and he doesn't ever remember a man in the house other than me at any time.

M
M
[I never said I didn't proceed with exposure at all. I have already told my entire family, and our friends. I have told her family but been met mostly with "it's really none of our business" and awkward silence on the other end of the line. The only one I'm leaving out is my son. This is a judgement call on my part.

This is a bad judgment call that will make your wife less likely to be motivated to work on recovery. Exposing the affair, especially to children, is a cold dose of reality that has the effect of motivating the wayward to work on recovery.

Lying to kids about the source of tension in your lives just teaches them to be dishonest. Illusions and lies about their parents do not make kids happy or secure, it just causes them confusion and makes them ill prepared when faced with the fall out of the affair. Just think, if you died in a car wreck tomorrow, the OM would be free to take over your family. Your kids would never know. As long as they don;t know about the OM, your wife is free to bring him in and out of her life.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
[

My wife has never brought another person into our physical home. I have asked my neighbors. I have asked my older son (who lived with us until he was 21 and was home most of the time) about the older issues, and he doesn't ever remember a man in the house other than me at any time.

You are just confusing your kids asking them questions like this and then withholding the truth about their lives. This is vital information about their life and there is no valid reason to withhold it. It does not help your wife, you or them. It does not make your marriage a safer place, but an unsafer place. The more people who know, the more people to hold your wife accountable.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley, clinical psychologist and founder of Marriage Builders
"The reason for the wide exposure is not to hurt the unfaithful spouse, but rather to end the fantasy. Your husband's secret second life made his affair possible, and the more you can to to make it public, the easier it is for him to see the damage he's doing. Keeping it secret does damage, but few know about it. Making it public helps everyone, including the unfaithful spouse and lover, see the affair for what it really is."

Exposure 101

P
P
I don't see how I can do more than I am doing, sincerely. She will not cooperate with this program. She has said it more than once. She will not agree to individual nor couples counseling. She is biding her time because she has very few choices.
Your WW is not unique. ALL WW behave this way. Even me.

Men can save their marriages despite this.

So do you want help saving this, or are you going to continue doing things your way? If you do not want to follow this program, then the very best thing for you and your child will be to get a divorce because I can just about guarantee she will have another affair.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
M
I don't see how I can do more than I am doing, sincerely.

I do. You could expose her to your son.

She will not cooperate with this program. She has said it more than once.

That is the problem every husband who has come here has arrived with. We can help you solve that, if you will follow the plan instead of leaving out crucial steps.

Last edited by markos; 03/03/15 11:19 AM.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
T
Texan44 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
That is the problem every husband who has come here has arrived with. We can help you solve that, if you will follow the plan instead of leaving out crucial steps.

I will talk with my son. He tends to internalize everything though I am very worried how he will take this. My wife has been very quiet and depressed. She is sleeping a lot. She has thrown basically all of her time into school and my son. Her only outgoing calls and texts are to her sister and brother. She is very uncomfortable around me, though she tries to hide it.

M
M

I will talk with my son. He tends to internalize everything though I am very worried how he will take this.

He will take it a lot better with his dad on his side, telling him the truth.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
L
L

I will talk with my son. He tends to internalize everything though I am very worried how he will take this. My wife has been very quiet and depressed. She is sleeping a lot. She has thrown basically all of her time into school and my son. Her only outgoing calls and texts are to her sister and brother. She is very uncomfortable around me, though she tries to hide it.

My children literally cried with relief when I told them about XH's affairs. They had felt the tension and knew there was something wrong but, being children, they blamed themselves. They thought that it was because they had been badly behaved.

In XH's father's case, nothing was said to the children but they knew. Because nothing was said, they thought this was the correct coping mechanism when there were problems in the marriage so no surprise when XH followed the same path as his father.

Always tell your children the factual truth calmly and without anger.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
T
Texan44 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
It does not help your wife, you or them. It does not make your marriage a safer place, but an unsafer place. The more people who know, the more people to hold your wife accountable.

This is another problem. She has been relying heavily on her family. Her brother actually left his wife last year and is with a younger woman. Whether or not they were already together before the divorce I have no idea. Her sister has been divorced and through 2 other long-term relationships the last of which just ended in him cheating on her. They are not going to hold her accountable for anything.

I
I
That's just fine. Exposure is also good at revealing the enemies of her marriage and people who do not care about her.

It's still effective - the worthwhile friends depart and you get left with the dregs

You'll want to exclude enemies from recovery - give them a chance first.

Maybe having ALL wayward kids will be the last straw. Besides those situations weren't exposed? How can the parents support a spouse who hasn't bothered asking?

Last edited by indiegirl; 03/03/15 12:46 PM.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

T
Texan44 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Another thing that I may have not mentioned is that throughout our marriage I have always considered her and my children my "Family." Not my parents, brothers, etc. Yes they are part of my family but when I speak of my family I mean my wife and children. My wife has never been like this. She has always considered her birth family her "Family." Is this just silly on my part? Is it just semantics? I know that the fact that she isn't physically near her "Family" has been a HUGE problem for her for years. As we are going through this latest conflict I know it is a HUGE source of sadness and loneliness for her.

Last edited by Texan44; 03/03/15 01:00 PM.
M
M
When are you telling your son?

T
Texan44 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
When are you telling your son?

I will talk to him about it when I pick him up from school today.

M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
It does not help your wife, you or them. It does not make your marriage a safer place, but an unsafer place. The more people who know, the more people to hold your wife accountable.

This is another problem. She has been relying heavily on her family. Her brother actually left his wife last year and is with a younger woman. Whether or not they were already together before the divorce I have no idea. Her sister has been divorced and through 2 other long-term relationships the last of which just ended in him cheating on her. They are not going to hold her accountable for anything.

That is fine. You cannot predict who will or won't be a support but just telling everyone makes it much harder for her to ever conduct an affair. Secondly, exposing it like this can put pressure on affair enablers by exposing their enabling. You cant' select exposure targets based on who you predict will or won't support your marriage. You just need to expose to family and close friends and hope for the best.

Exposure 101

M
M

Kids react well to the truth. They don't react well to lies and secrets.

Exposure 101

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 504 guests, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation