Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
M
Originally Posted by atgreen
I think part of why it stopped was out of fear. I have true evidence, including photos that could be shared with her husband at any time. Plus for my husband, I am the primary wage earner by far. He had a great deal to lose. So there is a part of me because he never really chose me and it was more than sex between the two of them. It was emotional...they routinely told/text each other how much they loved each other and how important they were to each other. How they longed to be together.

atgreen, not telling her husband was cruel, destructive and harmful to you all because it means they are free to pick up at any time. As long as you keep their secret the affair can start right back up. [if it ever ended] Do you understand that cannot stand? As long as you keep the OW's secrets for her, she is free to pursue your husband again, and vice versa. This man has been horribly harmed behind his back and needs to know the full truth.

That has to be the first step towards recovery. You can't imagine for a minute that hiding this affair from the other victim was a good thing to do? It helps no one and just makes it harder to save your marriage.

Until three months ago, they still worked at the same place. Parked less than 100 feet apart. She has since been transferred to another facility...again not at his doing.

Another problem. This means the affair did not end until 3 months ago, if even that. i wouldn't be surprised if you end up with post traumatic stress disorder. Seeing his lover at work every day only kept their feelings triggered while generating horror in your daily life.

Is there a valid reason why you would choose to live that?

He did close all social media accounts. But they were so tricky during the affair. While I don't truly believe he still is in contact with her, the conspiracy was at such a high level, I never expected in the first place, now has me doubting all possibility. He does provide open access to his phone and whereabouts.

Giving you access to his phone is worthless. I would slip spyware on it and put a GPS on his car.

How far away does the OW live?

Because it wasn't just the affair discovery and then closure...this went on and on and the all the deceit..there is so much damage. And because of how and when it was done. His connection to her and affair was so powerful that he couldn't stop communicating with her even while I, his wife, was undergoing emergency surgery.

But they worked together. So of course it went on and on.

Perhaps because it wasn't a clean break and the fact that I was forced to discover this all myself before he'd admit, I know so many many gross details. This lag in making a decision to heal our marriage, even while undergoing counseling, has put us behind in the process. I have such a hard time recovering from the "facts" behind all this. I am hoping we aren't too late for this approach. Thanks again for taking time to reply.

The reason you are so behind is because contact JUST ENDED 3 MONTHS AGO. Recovery was impossible before then. Every contact puts you and your H back to day 1 of recovery.

You are BRAND NEW to recovery. This is why you are in such bad shape. Dr. Bill Harley, clinical psychologist and founder of Marriage Builders, would only recommend that women endure such treatment for 3 weeks. You have been at this for over a year.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Thank you roughneck. I have thought about that so much...almost obsessively. In one conversation about 2-3 months ago with my husband, I said something along the lines that if she ever tries again to reach out to him, I would not hesitate to contact her husband, his mom or other family member. Who I've tracked down. Her/his family live near them. His response disturbed me and still does, it was along the lines, "that if I did that, he wasn't sure he could face all this all over again; relive the embarrassment/dunce that he has to wear everyday" indicating that there would be consequences to our marriage. Interesting huh.

You absolutely should expose to her husband and her family. This will help kill the affair. Your husband should be embarrassed about harming this man behind his back. That is a good thing, not a bad thing.

The affair should be exposed to the OWH and the OW's family without forewarning your husband.

The only reason I haven't done that has been out of fear of what her husband might do. I don't know him, but know what I wanted to do when I learned about their affair. I don't know if he is the type of person that would show up at my house with my kids to confront my husband and potentially be dangerous.

The dangerous people here are the OW and YOUR HUSBAND. This man is the VICTIM. He deserves to know the the truth about his life. It would not hurt your husband if he confronted him.

At the same time, I have taken the high road in all of this and it is getting to me. I feel like such a doormat. I am the one left with the consequences. Nothing really has changed for him or for her. I do see him emotionally distressed about what he did, but in a way he should be. I certainly am.

You have taken the LOW ROAD, Madam. Helping the affairees hide their affair from their victim is not the high road, I assure you. It has only made you an accessory to the crime.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
B
He had a �miracle� revelation that caused him to do a complete 180. I have to give him credit that since that �revelation� he has been a completely different person�so remorseful�devastated by what he did.
I hope that it is really a complete 180. I feel obligated to tell you that my husband did the same thing...it was beautiful and so convincing! Here is a link to the false recovery thread, my post is the last: False Recovery Thread

I hope for you that it is real, but from my own experience, it is doubtful that there was some miraculous revelation in his mind when he was still in contact as recently as 3 months ago.

You've been married for many years, and I think in that case we tend to believe the best. But Affairs are the ultimate addiction. LongWayFromHome so wisely pointed out on my own thread that as much as they may have good intentions, we cannot trust our WS to be able to remain logical while dealing with the emotions from the addiction of their affair.

DDays - six months of them
THANK YOU God and Marriage Builders.
We never knew that it could be this good! smile
M
M
]
Thank you roughneck. I have thought about that so much...almost obsessively. In one conversation about 2-3 months ago with my husband, I said something along the lines that if she ever tries again to reach out to him, I would not hesitate to contact her husband, his mom or other family member. Who I've tracked down. Her/his family live near them. His response disturbed me and still does, it was along the lines, "that if I did that, he wasn't sure he could face all this all over again; relive the embarrassment/dunce that he has to wear everyday" indicating that there would be consequences to our marriage. Interesting huh.

When a betrayed spouse "threatens" to expose but doesn't expose, the affair just goes further underground. I would wager that is what happened here. Since they know your battle plan, they are just being sneakier and your husband is showing "remorse" so you won't interfere in their affair.

Threatening to expose is a strategic mistake because it doesn't help you or your marriage, it just warns the affairees to better hide their affair.

Just think about it, if he were truly "remorseful" wouldn't he feel obliged to inform his victim? Yet for some odd reason he doesn't want to do that. Exposing to the husband would wreck their affair.

Exposure 101

B
B
My only strategy right now is to just not even bring it up�pretend everything is �fine.�

Your strategy has not worked and it never will. Pretending everything is "fine" is conflict avoidance. Are you ready to make a plan and attempt real recovery? I can guarantee you that you will continue to be miserable if you keep going with your current strategy. There is no guarantee your marriage can be salvaged but Plan Confusion will guarantee you a miserable one if you stay.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
M
M
I am actually scared for you, atgreen. Because you have dealt this with this so long that I am sure it has had an effect on your mental and physical health. How is your health?

Exposure 101

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 295 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation