Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17
M
M
Eddie, you need to get a GSR meter, like Dr. Harley describes here:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi8122_neg.html

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
I
I
But it's the same problem.

If you understand that talking about one type of abuse - an affair - is counterproductive, then surely you must see the same thing applies to anger.

Why do something dreadful and keep harping on about it?

The MB advice would be to not do, or talk about negative experiences. It keeps the mind set alive. It won't help in the slightest.

Have you tried proper anger management techniques and feedback devices?

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

E
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by AlienGirl
Have you tried positive reinforcement? Get a journal and write down three or more loving memories of the day each day. It will reinforce the neuropath of those memories, both by writing them and reading them to yourself.

I like it. I like it a lot. It was pretty unreasonable of me to say that I don't want to try mental exercises. They directly address the problem.

I complain about my wife letting emotion drive her actions instead of reason, and here I am doing the same thing. the resonable thing to do is train my brain to not be angry.

It's such a difficult road, this recovery. I really hope we can get there.

I
I
You can't afford to be angry while your W is in an affair, but you can't afford to avoid the real problem either - her affair.

Even if your anger were to disappear overnight the affair would still be there.

You have to be cool and calm and unapologetic while you dismantle it.

E
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by markos
Eddie, you need to get a GSR meter, like Dr. Harley describes here:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi8122_neg.html

Interesting. I'd never heard of this. I will definitely research this further.

Thanks Markos. Thank you everyone, in fact. I've got some new tools to work with now.

A
A
Originally Posted by EddieHead
I do not discuss the affair in therapy. I discuss my struggles with anger, resentment, and trust and how to cope with them. My therapist understands completely that it is counter-productive to dredge up the details of the affair. Our goal is to help put me in the best state possible to effect change and recover my marriage.

I would advise to closely look at what Dr. Harley says about therapy and how his approach differs from many popular approaches to psychology.

You may find that a lot of what you are doing in therapy is incompatible with MB and counter productive to your personal recovery. You don't want to mix and match MB and other stuff. The veterans here can attest to that.

Happily remarried to wonderful woman who I found using the guidelines in "Buyers, Renters, Freeloaders"
2 baby boys, working on #3 and couldn't ask for anything more.

When my ex's affair happened: BH 28, Ex-WW:29
Married: 7 years
Together: 8 years
D-day: 10/5/2014
D filed: 1/22/2015
D Final: 6/4/2015

My story
P
P
Eddie,
Dr. Harley recommends getting a GSR Meter and learning to relax in the face of frustration. This will help you immensely.

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
he purpose of relaxation training using a biofeedback meter is to learn to relax under conditions of high stress. At first, you simply learn to raise and lower the meter by changing your thoughts. Think of an unpleasant stressful situation, and the meter rises; think of a pleasant non-stressful situation, and the meter lowers. After you can manipulate the meter by simply thinking stressful and non-stressful thoughts, your next challenge is to keep the meter low even when thinking about a stressful situation. You do that by deliberately relaxing every muscle in your body, thereby flushing out all of the adrenaline. With practice, your relaxation can be demonstrated on the biofeedback meter in a matter of seconds.

When you have mastered relaxation while alone, the next challenge is to keep the biofeedback meter low when you discuss a problem with your spouse. At first, you may think that all of your training doesn't work when applied to real-life situations. But with some practice, you will be just as successful with your spouse present as you were while alone.
From here

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
M
I complain about my wife letting emotion drive her actions instead of reason, and here I am doing the same thing.

You and me both, Eddie! Fortunately Dr. Harley finally got through to me.

the resonable thing to do is train my brain to not be angry.

You should hear the wonderful things Dr. Harley has to say about this on the radio. You will be so much more intelligent and creative and capable of solving difficult problems when your brain is trained. It worked for Dr. Harley, former angry guy. It worked for me. It can work for you.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
I don't disagree, but suppressing these feelings and letting them build up over time is no better. This is why I am asking how to rid myself of them. However, until I can make that happen, I need an effective outlet, and it absolutely has to be an outlet from which my wife and child can be sheltered.

I don't want anyone to see me angry. I don't want to burden anyone with these horrible feelings. Especially not my wife, even though she at the root of the cause. but burying them has not been an effective remedy either, so I need another solution.
Allowing yourself to have an outlet only reinforces the anger. Your anger will become more intense over time, and you will eventually start lashing out at your wife.

The idea that one must vent anger in some way is a myth. It will not kill you to keep it all inside. No one has exploded yet.

Do not allow yourself an outlet.

The key is to retrain your brain and how you react.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M
Unless you are talking about the price of tea in China, this will not help. Going to "therapy" and talking about the affair will keep you angry and upset. It will make things WORSE. What are you talking about there?

I do not discuss the affair in therapy. I discuss my struggles with anger, resentment, and trust and how to cope with them. My therapist understands completely that it is counter-productive to dredge up the details of the affair. Our goal is to help put me in the best state possible to effect change and recover my marriage.

Ok, then stop talking about your anger and your resentment. I would focus on the price of tea in China, because it will be much more productive to your recovery.

As far as "trust," we can help you with that. Don't trust anything you can't see. Your wife should be so transparent that it will impossible for her to cheat. That will create trust. [along with some serious and sophisticated snooping]

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

I
I
Oh I missed the trust thing.

Please don't tell us the therapist is telling you to trust a cheating wife!

Do NOT trust her while some guy is trying to make her his. Phenomenally uncaring.

Yes she is less likely to be angry at you if you go hide in a therapists office, not interfering in the A - but you are needed in the real world right now.

Last edited by indiegirl; 06/12/15 02:07 PM.

G
G
EH,

It will take at least two years to recover, so accept that you are in the early stages. The fact that you know most of the details puts you in a position to eventually recover.

Has all the affair artifacts been thrown out, clothing she wore, gifts OM gave her, ticket stubs, your bed/couch if they were in it. Cars might need to be sold.

Gamma

B
B
Have you listened to these clips from Dr. Harley?

Dr. Harley on How to Deal with Triggers

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

E
OP Offline
E
I've been away from here for a while, but looking for some more direction. Lately I've been thinking I want to ask WW for a divorce. It's been 7 months since I discovered the affair, and over two since last known contact. Though I'll never really know for certain if they are still in contact or not, I have seen no evidence of any contact for the last two months, and neither has OMW. WW is still in the fog, but I really question how long I can wait for her to come out of it.

We are little more than friends and partners in parenting right now. We get along fine together, and care for each other's well being, but there's still no intimacy and very little physical affection. As a result, I can't help but I still harbor resentment for what WW and OM have done. The longer I wait without my wife's participation in a loving relationship, the more time I spend analyzing how we got to this point, and the more I am finding that this was almost entirely her fault. She solves her problems by running away, ignoring the issue, or finding the easiest solution for her personally. I see evidence in this with more that just the affair. This does not help me rid myself of said resentment. I really am guilty of nothing but working too much in order to provide the best life for my new family.

I do not believe she is capable of the work involved to maintain a long term loving relationship. She abandoned our emotional relationship and started an affair just months after our daughter's birth, because as she says "Marriage wasn't what she expected it to be." When I ask her what she expected it to be, she says she doesn't know. When I ask her what more I can do, or what I should be focusing on to make her happy, she says she can't tell me specifically. She uses the word "chemistry" all the time. To her, it's just a feeling, not a process, and I can't convince her otherwise.

I truly believe that she has no idea what makes her happy, she only knows whether or not she is happy at that particular moment. Right now, neither of us are happy. I'm willing to put in all the work necessary to salvage this marriage, but I'm not sure that it is salvageable because she doesn't feel that true love requires effort.

So, with all this in mind, I'm wondering if I shouldn't move on and try to find happiness with someone who has a more practical view of how to achieve and maintain happiness. We still at least care about each other right now, and like it or not, she will always be in my life, since we have a child together. But whatever love and respect I do have left for her is fading.

I'm rambling now, so I'll stop. I guess the short version of this post is, how do I know when it's time to throw in the towel? I'm not looking for a time frame here, I know Dr. Harley says 6-12 months, so I'm really already in the middle of that threshold. I'm looking for advice determining whether or not my wife is capable of doing the work necessary to recover, because I know that right now she's not willing to do it.

Eddie

Last edited by EddieHead; 07/27/15 02:12 PM.
L
L
Dr. Harley recommends 6 months to 2 years for men, but to reevaluate when necessary. If it goes past 2 years, there really isn't much more point in chasing a dream outcome.

You don't have to "Ask" your Wife for a divorce.

If you truly want one, you just have your attorney file the proper paperwork and have her served by the sherriff or service processor.

LTL

E
OP Offline
E
Sorry, ask was the wrong word. But I would still tell her face to face. It's clear to me now that it's more than just the affair. My wife is extremely selfish and immature emotionally, and I'm not sure that can be changed.

P
P
My wife is extremely selfish and immature emotionally
And you are extremely disrespectful.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
But I would still tell her face to face.
Do not threaten divorce. If you're going to do it, just do it.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

K
K
Eddie, I have been reading through your story and find many similarities with mine. I don't want to hijack your thread, but was wondering what kind of phone she had and what program you used to recover messages. My wife has/had an iphone and I was able to recover some fragments of deleted messages but not everything. Thanks.

Me: 34 BH
Her: 31 FWW
DD (6)
DS (3)
D-day 2/2/13

E
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by klovelistener
Eddie, I have been reading through your story and find many similarities with mine. I don't want to hijack your thread, but was wondering what kind of phone she had and what program you used to recover messages. My wife has/had an iphone and I was able to recover some fragments of deleted messages but not everything. Thanks.

She has an iphone. I convinced her to backup her phone to the computer and grabbed the data from there. There are any number of $20 apps that will read iphone backups. a google search will yield plenty of options. I also used a $100 gps device stashed away in her car to track her driving habits

Now, I just make her show me her phone, plus I monitor the phone bill text and data records for suspicious activity. I've also blocked facetime from my home wifi because they used that frequently, and confirm her schedule and travel destinations regulary. None of these will be able to fully prevent contact, but the goal is to make it as difficult as possible.

Just remember, step one is to end the affair, and make sure it's over. That will likely take time, and a lot of effort. Until that happens, you can't even begin to recover. Even afterwards, you may not. My marriage is likely over, even though my wife is starting to come around. but the process has led me to some realizations about my spouse that have changed my mind about her ability to commit.

It may seen like that means this plan failed, but it didn't. It was successful in helping me end the affair, and in realizing the kind of person my wife truly is. There is real value in that.

Keep listening to the people on this site. They may not always tell you what you want to hear, but their advice is usually valuable and correct, especially when it comes to the steps necessary to remove OM from your life.

Eddie

Last edited by EddieHead; 07/28/15 02:29 PM.
Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 612 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation