Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
A
I did not lie. And you are having an angry out burst.

The initial post said "Stop reading" and I changed my mind.

Last edited by apples123; 09/28/15 08:32 PM.
A
A
Have you read the Basic Concept articles and the articles about angry outbursts and disrespectful judgments? If not, this is a great time to do so.

Love busters goes into more details but the articles cover the major points.

J
JBTK12 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
as for the angry outbursts -- I have been working on that and feel successful to this point. I know I have been wrong for things said and reasons why they were said in the past -- but after talking to Dr. Harley, he stated that the only one in charge of his reaction is himself -- so I changed the outbursts. One can claim that outbursts do not have to be loud but I have made big leaps in regards to me blowing a gasket and saying things that were harmful, degrading and never should have been said in the first place.

J
JBTK12 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
the thread I read said to stop posting on each others threads -- that was what i was commenting on

A
A
Read the basic concepts and the articles. They give us a common vernacular.

M
M
Originally Posted by JBTK12
One can claim that outbursts do not have to be loud but I have made big leaps in regards to me blowing a gasket and saying things that were harmful, degrading and never should have been said in the first place.

Thats awesome! But it is true that the definition of angry outburst has nothing to do with loudness and everything to do with being angry. I used to justify my angry outbursts by saying "well, I didn't yell or scream," but I still spoke with anger and disrespect. The key is to eliminate ALL forms of disrespect because it wrecks marriages. It has a horrible negative impact on the love the other spouse feels and can eventually kill the marriage.

My worst love buster was disrespectful judgments:

When requests don't get you what you want, and demands don't work either, our instincts and habits often provide us with another controlling and abusive strategy -- disrespectful judgments. Without a doubt, demands are abusive, but disrespectful judgments often make demands seem merciful in comparison.

In the final analysis, disrespectful judgments represent an effort to force our spouses to give us what we want in marriage, but it's often cleverly disguised. Instead of making an outright demand, we present our problem as if it were really our spouse's personal shortcoming. We try to "straighten out" our spouse in an effort to get our way.

At the time we rationalize our disrespect by convincing ourselves that we're doing our spouses a big favor, to lift them from the darkness of their confusion into the light of our superior perspective. If they would only follow our advice, we tell ourselves, they could avoid many of life's pitfalls-and we would also get what we want.

A disrespectful judgment occurs whenever one spouse tries to impose a system of values and beliefs on the other. When a husband tries to force his point of view on his wife, he's just asking for trouble. When a wife assumes that her own views are right and her husband is woefully misguided -- and tells him so -- she enters a minefield.

In most cases, a disrespectful judgment is simply a sophisticated way of getting what one spouse wants from the other. But even when there are the purest motives, it's still a stupid and abusive strategy. It's stupid because it doesn't work, and it's abusive because it causes unhappiness. If we think we have the right -- even the responsibility -- to impose our view on our spouses, our efforts will almost invariably be interpreted as personally threatening, arrogant, rude, and incredibly disrespectful. That's when we make sizable withdrawals from the Love Bank.
disrespctful judgments

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

A
A

A
A
Cussing at your wife is an angry outburst.

A
A
Dr. Harley has excellent advice about how to practice controlling your anger. You get a galvanic skin response system, hook it up and think of the things that make you mad. Then you work on relaxing and controlling your response so the GSR reads no different than when you experience something pleasant.

J
JBTK12 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
you need to ask her who has been cussing in the past few weeks

A
A
Your behavior is the only one under your control. You and only you are responsible for what you say and do.

Nothing justifies abusive behavior. If you feel angry or unpleasant, stay away from your wife until you can calmly discuss the issue.

PS she already told us about her outbursts. We are addressing them with her in her thread.

A
A
We are addressing your behavior here.

A
A
Are you having an angry outburst?

M
M
you need to ask her who has been cussing in the past few weeks

Have you read the book love busters yet? The first step in turning this around is to familiarize yourself with the most egregious lovebusters and stop doing them. It doesn't sound like you have been too successful in eliminating angry outbursts, so I would jump to that chapter.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by your wife
Now i am an F-ing [censored]....and he had the nerve to go into my sons room as he was trying to fall asleep and say that your mommy doesn't love me, and is going to take you away from me, you are probably going to have to go to Mimi's for a long time. My son was scared to death and started yelling and throwing things himself. I can't believe he would stoop so low as to scare our son.

So all the talk about eliminating angry outbursts was just empty talk from the sounds of it. Just know that Dr. Harley would advocate a separation if you can't control yourself. You are not SAFE.

Exposure 101

M
M
but who are you to prescribe the antidote for a marriage

Hi, JBTK,

Dr. Harley's methods which are prescribed here are what saved my marriage when my wife and I followed them.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
JBTK, apparently you are having an angry outburst while posting. I've done that.

You'll find that your marital problems can't be solved as long as you have angry outbursts, even if your wife is the one at fault. That's what Dr. Harley said would happen to me, and it's exactly what happened.

I encourage you to go calm down, then come back and get ready for a long haul education program of learning how to eliminate demands, disrespect, and anger, so that you can learn how to solve your marital problems. Once you've calmed down, reread this entire thread and make a todo list of all the suggestions that have been offered, then start working down the list.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
I do not understand how some feel it their duty to offer opinions when they do not know all of the facts.

All we need to know is that you have angry outbursts. Regardless of what the rest of the facts are, regardless of whether she is wrong or not, regardless of whether your anger is justified or not - as long as you have angry outbursts, the other problems can't be solved.

M
M
Here's the advice Dr. Harley gave my wife:

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
Prisca:

How is Markos doing with his anger management program? A point we often make is that if angry outbursts are not eliminated from a marriage, no other problems can be solved.

Best wishes,
Willard F. Harley, Jr.

M
M
When you can talk about the problems your wife causes you in your marriage without being demanding, disrespectful, or angry, that will be amazing progress, and you will be very close to being able to solve these problems with her.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ardent Center), 166 guests, and 174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Lost@1969, Jmoor9090, Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T
71,842 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation