Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
S
Originally Posted by Senator_H
My style is to skim articles,//
Which of the articles on the topics I mentioned above have you read thoroughly, and recently?

I am not claiming originality, and if there is something similar, somewhere on Marriagebuilders, I would welcome the reference.
Why don't you know already what Dr Harley has written about these issues?

Most of the articles I mentioned have been on this site for years, and even the newest one is several months old. You've been here for 10 years. Why don't you know already where to find Dr Harley's articles, and what he has written about resolving conflicts, and complaining, and negotiating, without resorting to demands, disrespectful judgements, or angry outbursts?

Instead of asking people here to spoon feed you references, please find the article entitled Peace and Good Will: Essential for Effective Conflict Resolution, provide the link to it here in this thread, and then summarise its main points. Do the same with the article entitled When should you tell your spouse, "We have a problem." , and pay special attention to the sub-section headed How should you tell your spouse, "We have a problem."

Summarise both articles here on this thread, and then tell us what advice within the articles you already practice well, and what elements you do badly at, or need to improve. Give us concrete examples of what you do and how you speak to your wife about problems.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
My style of learning and Self-Improvement is probably different than many on the forum.

But Senator, you don't learn, and you don't listen. You haven't learned how to save marriages, you haven't learned how to restore romantic love in marriages.

Ignoring the Marriage Builders program and sprinkling your own insights onto the board every so often is a distraction from what we are trying to do here. There are real people with real problems who are really hurting really badly. They need to not be led into thinking that nobody has the answers and we all learn slow and everybody's insight is valuable. Everybody's insight is NOT of value - Dr. Harley knows how to save marriages. And you could, too, if you'd learn the program that works. But you are more interested in hearing yourself speak and looking for admiration from strangers than learning what actually works.

When the wheel has already been invented, there is no point in trying to discover it yourself, especially in the middle of a bunch of people who want to GO somewhere.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
S
S
Certainly the ultimate goal is Romantic Love, but focusing on Romantic Love, as a short-term goal, is too distant, for my personal self-improvement approach. //
Dr Harley's Marriage Builders approach is focused on romantic love - full stop. There is no "ultimate goal", and there is no "short-term goal"; romantic love is the ONLY goal, and it is achieved by our micro-managing our every behaviour.

Our behaviour towards our spouse can make deposits into our account in our spouse's Love Bank, or it can have no effect on the LB , or it can make withdrawals from it. With that simple mathematical model in mind, we need to practice behaviour that makes the biggest deposits into the LB, and eschew anything that makes withdrawals.

That's it. There is no short-term goal that is different from protecting and boosting the LB, and there is no long-term difference, either. If the LB is in the red, it will probably take a relatively long time (several months), and the extreme avoidance of love busters, to bring it back into the black - but that does not make bringing it into the black a "long-term goal". The goal of crossing the romantic love threshold is the same, but in a very bad marriage with lots of abusive behaviour, it will take longer to achieve than in a better one - and it will never be achieved if the abuse does not stop.

In your reflective writings, you are in fact trying to solve the problem of exactly what Dr Harley's work has already solved; how to complain respectfully to your spouse, so that they can do a first-class job of meeting your emotional needs. If they can do that, you will be in love with them.

But since Dr Harley has already refined his model, and used it successfully, through trial and error, on thousands of couples for over 40 years, why would you "skim" the invaluable insights he gives on how (and how not) to complain and negotiate, and instead set "short-term reminder concepts" such as "Congeniality"? And why do you post thoughts and musings on this and other concepts, rather than do the simple, straightforward thing which is to practice, in your interactions with your wife, exactly what Dr Harley recommends?

This forum is Marriage Builders, after all. Why have you been here for 10 years NOT thoroughly reading Dr Harley's work, NOT listening to the radio show every single day (there is an app that makes this easy) and NOT practicing exactly what Dr Harley recommends?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
THIS IS NOT A SITE TO GET OR GIVE MARRIAGE "TIPS"

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by SugarCane
My style is to skim articles,//
Which of the articles on the topics I mentioned above have you read thoroughly, and recently?

I am not claiming originality, and if there is something similar, somewhere on Marriagebuilders, I would welcome the reference.
Why don't you know already what Dr Harley has written about these issues?

Most of the articles I mentioned have been on this site for years, and even the newest one is several months old. You've been here for 10 years. Why don't you know already where to find Dr Harley's articles, and what he has written about resolving conflicts, and complaining, and negotiating, without resorting to demands, disrespectful judgements, or angry outbursts?

Instead of asking people here to spoon feed you references, please find the article entitled Peace and Good Will: Essential for Effective Conflict Resolution, provide the link to it here in this thread, and then summarise its main points. Do the same with the article entitled When should you tell your spouse, "We have a problem." , and pay special attention to the sub-section headed How should you tell your spouse, "We have a problem."

Summarise both articles here on this thread, and then tell us what advice within the articles you already practice well, and what elements you do badly at, or need to improve. Give us concrete examples of what you do and how you speak to your wife about problems.

Resolving Conflicts Article:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5515_qa.html

S
S
That article says nothing about how to complain, or about what to say and what not to say, and the tone and language that should be adopted, when a spouse needs to complain. It is not one of those I suggested to you, for that reason. It does not actually address the topic that you brought up recently, that you named "congeniality".

Have you looked for any of the articles I did suggest?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by SugarCane
[Instead of asking people here to spoon feed you references, please find the article entitled Peace and Good Will: Essential for Effective Conflict Resolution, provide the link to it here in this thread, and then summarise its main points. Do the same with the article entitled [i]When should you tell your spouse,

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi8122_GoodWill.html

Last edited by Senator_H; 10/25/15 09:05 AM.
M
M
Originally Posted by markos
I suppose there are many people who do not see the point in my postings. It is just my attempt to better utilize the teachings of Marriage Builders.

But, wow, Senator - we don't want people to think that romantic love is a distant goal that will take years to achieve! You are working against what we are trying to do here.

And, no response whatsoever. Do you just not care?

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 171 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Philip Pitre, ClarencePeterson, ColsDawg, dr. lan smith, Dexterman2024
71,870 Registered Users
Latest Posts
Spying on Wife's phone without getting caught?
by ClarencePeterson - 09/22/24 08:59 PM
Depression
by ClarencePeterson - 09/22/24 11:19 AM
Separated/Dating
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 08:58 PM
Child activities
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 08:56 PM
Loss of libido/Sexual Attraction
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 06:10 AM
Involucrar o no a la familia por apoyo
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 06:09 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,607
Posts2,323,420
Members71,871
Most Online3,185
Jan 27th, 2020
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2024, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation