Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 21 of 35 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 34 35
D
D
Originally Posted by Kat37
Ok so in this case I'd say "I'm not ok with son going to his evening activities w the way he behaved this afternoon."

And leave it at that, right?

Kat,

Here's the deal. When you gave your ENTHUSIASTIC agreement to son attending sports practice, it was CONDITIONAL. Conditional upon son's appropriate behavior, right? Expressed or implied. You need to make it clear if you are no longer enthusiastic about his going to practice tonight. That is NOT a punishment. That is a withdrawal of a privilege. Because of your son's bad behavior, you no longer feel good about that privilege.

In addition to staying home from practice, you will need to decide together whether or not to PUNISH him for bad behavior, or better yet, take away another privilege until his disrespect stops.

I would let your husband know that although there may be "reasons" for your son's emotional outbursts, you do not agree to accepting those reasons as an EXCUSE for son's outburst.

If your husband takes him anyway, let him know that it hurts you terribly that he would maintain privileges for a son who treats you disrespectfully. Tell him that it hurts you that he disregarded your feelings and decision that son did not earn the privilege to attend practice. Attending practice is conditional privilege. (Hopefully Dad can help him see that to join him at practice in the future, he should make sure to respect you and cooperate.)

When you make agreements about son in the future, make it clear what your conditions are for being enthusiastic if you can. Even if you didn't make it clear, changing your mind due to unforeseen circumstances or events is still respected under the Policy of Joint Agreement. No moving forward without both spouses feeling GOOD about it.

Last edited by DidntQuit; 06/08/16 07:02 PM.
S
S
***EDIT***

Last edited by Toujours; 06/08/16 09:31 PM. Reason: TOS: Non-MB advice

Are you living in a covenant with death? With bitterness in your marriage? Read Isaiah 28. The bed will not be long enough or the covers wide enough for you to ever find comfort in that life. In Isaiah 28, God tells you to take a stick and beat these conditions out of your life.

Isaiah 28:29 "This [command] also cometh forth from the Lord of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working."
K
Kat37 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Yes, that's what we are doing now. I agree with everything you've said, Sunny. I'll give him the opportunity to brainstorm with me and include ideas that he did not agree with in the past. Thanks for helping me see that I can include those options again.

This whole forum has helped me see that I can keep negotiating the parenting solutions that I want for our son. I don't need to stop and I'm not being too controlling or restrictive by expecting our son to treat his family respectfully

I'm going to stop allowing my husband and son to walk all over me. I'm going to stop being so darn passive and begin upholding boundaries once again.

K
Kat37 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by DidntQuit
Ok so in this case I'd say "I'm not ok with son going to his evening activities w the way he behaved this afternoon."

And leave it at that, right?

Kat,

Here's the deal. When you gave your ENTHUSIASTIC agreement to son attending sports practice, it was CONDITIONAL. Conditional upon son's appropriate behavior, right? Expressed or implied. You need to make it clear if you are no longer enthusiastic about his going to practice tonight. That is NOT a punishment. That is a withdrawal of a privilege. Because of your son's bad behavior, you no longer feel good about that privilege.

In addition to staying home from practice, you will need to decide together whether or not to PUNISH him for bad behavior, or better yet, take away another privilege until his disrespect stops.

I would let your husband know that although there may be "reasons" for your son's emotional outbursts, you do no agree to accepting those reasons as an EXCUSE for son's outburst.

If your husband takes him anyway, let him know that it hurts you terribly that he would maintain privileges for a son who treats you disrespectfully. Tell him that it hurts you that he disregarded your feelings and decision that son did not earn the privilege to attend practice. Attending practice is conditional privilege. (Hopefully Dad can help him see that to join him at practice in the future, he should make sure to respect you and cooperate.)

When you make agreements about son in the future, make it clear what your conditions are for being enthusiastic if you can. Even if you didn't make it clear, changing your mind due to unforeseen circumstances or events is still respected under the Policy of Joint Agreement. No moving forward without both spouses feeling GOOD about it.

Thank you for this. I'm copying much of what you said here to refer to in the near future.

A
A
Also, you can brainstorm many alternatives. For example, Just because you chose for son to stay home doesnt mean H must stay home too, if you can be enthusiatic about H coaching, etc.

K
Kat37 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by Sunnytimes
***EDIT***

Good question. Not in these words, but yes, I've been told to chill, just relax, let it go, stop trying to make everything hard, in heated situations, though not directly in front of the kids but they have been nearby.

Last edited by Toujours; 06/08/16 09:31 PM. Reason: removing quote
K
Kat37 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by apples123
Also, you can brainstorm many alternatives. For example, Just because you chose for son to stay home doesnt mean H must stay home too, if you can be enthusiatic about H coaching, etc.

Absolutely, apples. Husband has to go, he's responsible for the other kids on the team.

D
D
This whole forum has helped me see that I can keep negotiating the parenting solutions that I want for our son. I don't need to stop and I'm not being too controlling or restrictive by expecting our son to treat his family respectfully.

I'm going to stop allowing my husband and son to walk all over me. I'm going to stop being so darn passive and begin upholding boundaries once again.

I think it's important for you to understand that your husband is the one "controlling" the situation when he forces his action even though you don't want to move forward. The POJA is the rule that keeps both parties from controlling each other by "doing it anyway".

Please continue to remind your husband that his moving forward against your wishes is making you feel unsafe and unprotected.

Last edited by DidntQuit; 06/08/16 07:05 PM.
K
Kat37 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
DQ, I've read over your posts here today and you're saying what I'm instinctively feeling but didn't put as well as you did. It is about the privilege of doing fun activities that we try hard to provide for him. Knowing this, and with his behavior so poor, even while getting him to practices or driving him to tournaments, I'm beyond ready to stop all of it until his behavior improves.

And it helps me very much to hear that I'm not the one who's being controlling here.

In this case, today, my husband did not move forward against my wishes, but you must be referring to the event on Monday. I will no longer accept that.

S
S
Absolutely, apples. Husband has to go, he's responsible for the other kids on the team.
We have let this slide, but I want to reiterate markos's earlier advice that that this situation needs to end. Your husband's involvement in the kids' sports has hurt your marriage, and it is still hurting it today. Your husband needs to give up coaching this team.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
S
S
But in the past, husband has made it clear that while he will not challenge me in keeping son home from a practice/game for poor behavior, he does not agree with me.

That was then. Now it is two years later and that option has not worked out well for you. It is fair to re-open the idea to explore how he might be enthusiastic now.
This discussion is becoming sidetracked.

Kat does not need to "explore how her husband might be enthusiastic now" to keeping her son at home in those situations. This couple needs to use POJA, which means that if either of them does not enthusiastically agree to a course of action, they do nothing.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
K
Kat37 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by SugarCane
We have let this slide, but I want to reiterate markos's earlier advice that that this situation needs to end. Your husband's involvement in the kids' sports has hurt your marriage, and it is still hurting it today. Your husband needs to give up coaching this team.

I missed this somehow. This is not the travel team, this is a local team. And, he's been great at meeting the 15 hours a week. This is the last week of the season so it's a bit of a moot point. But he will likely want to coach again next year, locally, and while making sure our 15 hours a week of UA is met. This is something we will need to discuss and POJA, right?

* I see, you mean husband's involvement hurting marriage while trying to also POJA parenting son. This is an issue, I didn't think of that.

Last edited by Kat37; 06/08/16 07:42 PM.
S
S
Last year son would yell at me and other child in car while giving him rides to practices. I had to tell both son and husband that I would no longer be giving son rides until that behavior stopped. Husband would then leave work to take son himself and go back to work.

How has that worked out for him? It is fair to re-open the discussion since the behavior wasn't resolved with that method so you are no longer enthusiastic about that solution.
It sounds to me as if this was not a decision that either was enthusiastic about. What appears to have happened is that Kat refused to drive her son, and her husband, anxious that the son should not miss practice, took the trouble to do it himself. There was no "agreement" as such; rather, Kat's husband acted independently to stop his son and the team feeling let down. Once again he was showing his over-involvement in the kids' sports, and utter lack of consideration for his wife.

As with this latest example, unless they both enthusiastically agreed to a solution that time, they should have done nothing. If Kat's goal was to make her son face consequences for being rude to her - that consequence being for him and his friend to miss the game - then that didn't happen. Kat's wishes were in fact overridden when her husband dropped everything at work to drive the kids himself.

POJA was not being used in that situation (or at all in this marriage), and so we really cannot look back on that as an "agreement" that was made at the time, that now needs to be revisited.

Kat's husband needs to give up coaching and focus on spending much more time with his wife. Even if time isn't the issue with the coaching, it is having a bad effect on the marriage. Things should never have been allowed to get to this level, and the coaching needs to stop.

Kat and her husband need also to discuss whether they want their son to continue playing for the team, and if they do, how he will attend practices. Driving their son to sports a few times a week might also be taking its toll on the marriage, and again, if so it should stop.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
D
D

True. And POJA also says that husband's activities are conditional as well. His COMMITMENT to YOU TRUMPS ALL OTHER COMMITMENTS.

In my own situation, I became unenthusiastic about my husband's attendance at many events that could have met my need for FC. Too many unilateral decisions were being made. I found myself in competition with the other party or event under all circumstances.

In order to solve this problem, we had to wipe EVERYTHING from our schedule and start clean using POJA. (I remember someone else recommending this to you.) Summer is a great time to do that because school is out and many sports end. I would suggest that you approach your husband with this idea of wiping the slate clean and adding things to the schedule one at a time, after you BOTH feel good about it. If you do this, let us know how he responds to the idea.

Last edited by DidntQuit; 06/08/16 07:49 PM.
S
S
But he will likely want to coach again next year, locally, and while making sure our 15 hours a week of UA is met. This is something we will need to discuss and POJA, right?
Tell him you want him to give it up, and do not agree to his continuing with this. It is harming your marriage, not because off the time it takes, but because of your husband's loyalty to the kids and the team, and his utter disloyalty to the idea of doing nothing without your enthusiastic agreement.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
K
Kat37 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by DidntQuit

True. And POJA also says that husband's activities are conditional as well. His COMMITMENT to YOU TRUMPS ALL OTHER COMMITMENTS.

In my own situation, I became unenthusiastic about my husband's attendance at many events that could have met my need for FC. Too many unilateral decisions were being made. I found myself in competition with the other party or event under all circumstances.

In order to solve this problem, we had to wipe EVERYTHING from our schedule and start clean using POJA. (I remember someone else recommending this to you.) Summer is a great time to do that because school is out and many sports end. I would suggest that you approach your husband with this idea of wiping the slate clean and adding things to the schedule one at a time, after you BOTH feel good about it. If you do this, let us know how he responds to the idea.

Yes, Prisca said this same thing. It is something we need to do. I'll approach this with my husband. Any suggestions on when to do it? Is this something we can talk about on our next date, in a pleasant way and if it gets heated, shelve it for another time? Also, do I explain why I'm not enthusiastic about certain activities son and husband expect to sign up for?

S
S
***EDIT***

Good question. Not in these words, but yes, I've been told to chill, just relax, let it go, stop trying to make everything hard, in heated situations, though not directly in front of the kids but they have been nearby.

That's a way to punish you for your viewpoint. Hurting another until a person gets his way is an AO, even if his voice is not raised and angry.

It's likely you quickly acquiesced to avoid the children from hearing more of these comments.

As you can see, they were damaging to your relationship with your DS12 and to his respect for you.

Last edited by Toujours; 06/08/16 09:35 PM.

Are you living in a covenant with death? With bitterness in your marriage? Read Isaiah 28. The bed will not be long enough or the covers wide enough for you to ever find comfort in that life. In Isaiah 28, God tells you to take a stick and beat these conditions out of your life.

Isaiah 28:29 "This [command] also cometh forth from the Lord of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working."
K
Kat37 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
My plan going forward is to directly address these comments (hard for me to spot because he does not raise his voice or seem angry). He hasn't done this in a while. If he tells me I need to relax, I'll reply with "It bothers me when you tell me I need to relax when I'm expressing my point of view."

K
Kat37 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I'm feeling negatively toward my husband right now and would prefer to be left alone this evening to think and (ironically) relax. I'm feeling stressed by my sons behavior this week and the work ahead to change not only the dynamic w our son but also with my husband.

Is it ok to need time to myself when my husband technically did nothing wrong this afternoon? Do I tell him I just need some time to myself?

Last edited by Kat37; 06/08/16 08:19 PM.
B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

Page 21 of 35 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 34 35

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 822 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation