Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
M
M
wow! So he was being ATTRACTIVE? Good sign!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

D
D
Hopefully he can keep it up.

Hopefully you both can learn to negotiate with each other's best interest in mind, without sacrificing your own interests.

I
OP Offline
I
We are having some lovely UA times and even at home my H is trying really hard to be pleasant and thoughtful. I wonder though, this was such an abrupt change, is it sustainable? I mean he is still the same person. I know he can be this way when he wants to be. I just don't want him to switch back to the way he has been in the past. Also I don't want to be a year or two down the road and end up in the same situation as before last week with me making plans to move out. Should I still plan to move out until I know this is a permanent change? How long would that have to be?

M
M
Originally Posted by Indianaswife
We are having some lovely UA times and even at home my H is trying really hard to be pleasant and thoughtful. I wonder though, this was such an abrupt change, is it sustainable? I mean he is still the same person. I know he can be this way when he wants to be. I just don't want him to switch back to the way he has been in the past. Also I don't want to be a year or two down the road and end up in the same situation as before last week with me making plans to move out. Should I still plan to move out until I know this is a permanent change? How long would that have to be?

Have a plan for separation in place in case he does revert back to his old abusive behavior. It sounds like he is taking this seriously now.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
How are things going, Indiana's wife?

Are you and your husband mutually, enthusiastically united in dealing with your children's behavior now?

Did the two of you come up with a solution to address the cursing and disrespect targeted towards you by your DS?

Are you living in a covenant with death? With bitterness in your marriage? Read Isaiah 28. The bed will not be long enough or the covers wide enough for you to ever find comfort in that life. In Isaiah 28, God tells you to take a stick and beat these conditions out of your life.

Isaiah 28:29 "This [command] also cometh forth from the Lord of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working."
D
D
Sunny, was this meant for Kat?

S
S
My apologies, yes it was meant for Kat.

Are you living in a covenant with death? With bitterness in your marriage? Read Isaiah 28. The bed will not be long enough or the covers wide enough for you to ever find comfort in that life. In Isaiah 28, God tells you to take a stick and beat these conditions out of your life.

Isaiah 28:29 "This [command] also cometh forth from the Lord of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working."
I
OP Offline
I
Hi everyone. We had a really good couple of months, and then I have been noticing a gradual slide back toward how things used to be. By this I mean that I notice a little more anger, a little more demands, more expressions of dissatisfaction with something I am doing. Our time, for the most part, is very flexible and we set our own schedule. My H was annoyed when I slept until 8am on Saturday morning, and then did some reading for a couple of hours. A couple of days ago I received this letter:

"My dear Wife:

I am very grateful that our businesses are doing well and that we can enjoy the fruits of many years of sacrifice and labour. I feel we have done well.

It does bother me, however, when I am working at the items on the schedule for the week and you are doing things we did not schedule (ie. sleeping, reading).

I feel taken advantage of and unappreciated. I feel this has led to an imbalance in the number of hours of work we each contribute to the maintenance of the businesses.

How do you feel about the number of hours of work we each put into maintaining our businesses each week."

We have apartments that we maintain, and a really huge garden where we grow most of the vegetables for the winter. I felt offended at this letter but am not sure why. Part of me feels like "here we go again", he is unhappy with something I am doing, blaming me for his unhappiness and wants me to change. It is not my appearance now, it is how much I work.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

M
M
I think many wives would probably feel disrespected by a letter like that. He sees a problem but I don't think he knows how to express it respectfully. I think the problem he is seeing is that he feels resentful that he is working so hard, and he would like more help. It probably would have been more respectful if he had said "I'm working more/harder than I want to, and was wondering if you would feel like helping me some more."

Dr. Harley says it is good in marriage to make requests of each other, but of course they have to be requests: the spouse has to be able to turn down the request with no consequences, and there has to be no disrespect or angry outburst accompanying the request.

From some of the wording in his letter it sounds to me like he's trying to model what he's saying off of some of the things he's read here, but do you agree with me that the letter is disrespectful to you? If so I think you should probably tell him that you felt disrespected by his words and that you need him to be able to be respectful to you in his requests before you can talk to him about it.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
L
L
How do you feel about the number of hours of work we each put into maintaining our businesses each week."

We have apartments that we maintain, and a really huge garden where we grow most of the vegetables for the winter. I felt offended at this letter but am not sure why. Part of me feels like "here we go again", he is unhappy with something I am doing, blaming me for his unhappiness and wants me to change. It is not my appearance now, it is how much I work.

As a non partisan reader (as opposed to someone with understandable emotional baggage), I am seeing an opportunity to negotiate your Saturday obligations. Two heads are always better than one when it comes to problem solving. Presume you both decided to take on all these projects but that does not mean you are chained to them for life.

What about POJAing all of it from the ground up? Maybe this work can be cut back or delegated in a way that makes you both happy?

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
I
OP Offline
I
When I do this he says I am changing the subject.

M
M
I feel taken advantage of and unappreciated. I feel this has led to an imbalance in the number of hours of work we each contribute to the maintenance of the businesses.

IW, the hours you each work needs to be re-negotiated. The objective is to find a solution that makes you both happy. The objective is NOT to find an illusory "balance." He can't make up arbitrary rules such as "balance" and apply it to you. That is disrespectful. You will have to each agree on a plan that suits you both without forcing your will on the other.

For example, you might only be happy working 20 hours and he wants to work 40. Since you are both different, the outcome should be different. The solution can be found in the POJA.

Exposure 101

P
P

Okay.

But you can't proceed until this subject is taken care of.

::shrug::

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
M

The guidelines for successful negotiation only work if they are followed in order:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3350_guide.html

Guideline 1 is to set ground rules to make negotiation pleasant and safe. You can't get to the other guidelines and the solution until Guideline 1 is in place and being followed.

Indianajordan, talking to you: if you want to get something from your wife here, you'll need to ask for it in a way that has no demands or disrespect. I suggest starting with "How would you feel about helping me more, at 8:00, by doing ... ?"

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
If your negotiation turns sour, and one of you succumbs to the temptation of the Taker with demands, disrespect or anger, end the discussion by changing the subject to something more pleasant. After a brief pause, your spouse may apologize and wish to return to the subject that was so upsetting. But don't go back into the minefield until it has been swept clear of mines. The mines, of course, are demands, disrespect and anger, and you must discuss how to avoid them before you return to the issue. You can't negotiate if your destructive instincts control your discussion.

Gotta sweep out the mines.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2887303 09/22/16 10:25 AM
M
M
It's not exactly the same situation, but Dr. Harley told me:

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
markos:

When you make a request, and your wife declines, the next step is to negotiate with her, not to tell her that your feelings have been hurt. Under what conditions would she be willing? If you can't think of any right away, withdraw the request.

By telling your wife that your feelings were hurt, although it's an accurate description of your reaction, it's also a way to make her feel guilty for declining your request. Besides, it should be recognized that if a request is declined, and you feel hurt, you must be under the illusion that if she really cared about you, she would do whatever you request. That's an illusion, not a fact. A caring wife has the right to decline requests. A caring husband accepts it because he realizes that he would have been gaining at her expense if she had agreed.

Again, the step to take after declining your request is to negotiate or withdraw it.

Best wishes,
Willard F. Harley, Jr.

http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2405440#Post2405440

markos #2887313 09/22/16 07:56 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Today my daughter and I had agreed to do the lawn mowing and trimming at one of our rental buildings. My H said that if we left around 10 to 11, the grass would be dry enough. I agreed. As it turned out, we were not ready to leave until 11:25. At this point my H said he was not enthusiastic about us leaving "late" It would run into lunch and we would not be back by 12:30. He did not want to make his own lunch and eat alone. He wanted us to wait until after lunch to leave. I did not want to do that because it gets too hot later in the day and I wanted to be back in time to get our son from the school bus. The upshot was: we argued, I left, did the yard, got back at 1:10, made lunch and we ate.

My H says that my deciding to leave at 11:25 instead of 10:50 is disrespectful and was an independent behavior. Was it?

Also, he says that when I came out of the house and told him I was leaving later than discussed and that he would have to make his own lunch, that I was breaking Guideline #1, that it was not pleasant.

U
U
What did you argue about?

You negotiated a time to leave (and presumably come back, and have lunch together, etc) and you did not leave at that time or follow that plan. He expressed that he was not enthusiastic about the new schedule. You should have 'done nothing' until a new schedule or plan was reached that you were both enthusiastic about.

Instead, presumably you argued that your position to not wait was the correct one, and then you left even though he was not enthusiastic.

Yes, I would say that this was disrespectful and an IB.

I
OP Offline
I
We did not negotiate a time to leave, he simply told me that this would be the best time to go. There was no explicit agreement.

I
OP Offline
I
He is a little upset right now that I did not mention that he wrote me a sweet little note that was waiting for me when I got home. He is upset that I did not even acknowledge receiving it. That it shows he is trying to be pleasant even though he is being treated badly. I feel like I am the one being treated badly, and no note is going to make up for that.

M
M
Today my daughter and I had agreed to do the lawn mowing and trimming at one of our rental buildings. My H said that if we left around 10 to 11, the grass would be dry enough. I agreed. As it turned out, we were not ready to leave until 11:25. At this point my H said he was not enthusiastic about us leaving "late" It would run into lunch and we would not be back by 12:30. He did not want to make his own lunch and eat alone. He wanted us to wait until after lunch to leave. I did not want to do that because it gets too hot later in the day and I wanted to be back in time to get our son from the school bus. The upshot was: we argued, I left, did the yard, got back at 1:10, made lunch and we ate.

My H says that my deciding to leave at 11:25 instead of 10:50 is disrespectful and was an independent behavior. Was it?

Also, he says that when I came out of the house and told him I was leaving later than discussed and that he would have to make his own lunch, that I was breaking Guideline #1, that it was not pleasant.

IW, the goal of the forum is to help you learn the skills to resolve your problems on your own. We are not here to resolve every conflict you have.

What principles should have been applied to this situation? What is the basic rule of the policy of joint agreement? How do you define Independent behavior?

I will give you a hint: you broke the policy of joint agreement and committed independent behavior. Are you familiar with those terms?

Exposure 101

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 485 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation