Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
B
B
Here's a show on POJA.
Radio Clip on POJA
Segment #2

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
OP Offline
B
I did. She asked me to call back on Monday.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
7 children, 6 adults, last DS 17
S
S
You say this earlier. Could you elaborate on it, please?

Originally Posted by Barigirl
He doesn't think I am reasonable and rational on some subjects.
I don't want you to DJ your husband, as I did, it seems, so could you just give examples of when he has actually said that? If that's just your impression, then it's best not repeated.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
B
OP Offline
B
I could give lots of examples where he has said I am not reasonable and/or rational, but I think that these instances boil down to the fact that both of us need to learn that neither of our feelings are to be judged, they just are. And then move to POJA.

Hubby and I talked tonight after his long post. We both realize that we have a lot to learn and practice with the MB principles. Hubby is struggling with how it all works on the forum. I explained as best I could, based on my limited knowledge, that the responders to our posts are not so much concerned with our long explanations as they are with trying to show where we are missing out on opportunities to apply MB principles, and where we are falling short. He and I are both quite willing to learn.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
B
OP Offline
B
I would like to ask that the church/faith issue be dropped. While this has been a contentious issue over our married life, we have learned, for the most part, to agree to disagree on this. While neither of us is fully content in this area, we are not willing to upset the apple cart on this issue.

We do want to learn how to deepen our romantic love through the MB principles. I read somewhere in all the material that once we reach that pinnacle of true compatibility, we will be enthusiastic about everything to do with our spouse. We do want to get to that place.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
B
OP Offline
B
Thank you, I will listen to this.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
B
OP Offline
B
Will try this, thank you for this.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
M
M
I would like to ask that the church/faith issue be dropped. While this has been a contentious issue over our married life, we have learned, for the most part, to agree to disagree on this. While neither of us is fully content in this area, we are not willing to upset the apple cart on this issue.

We do want to learn how to deepen our romantic love through the MB principles. I read somewhere in all the material that once we reach that pinnacle of true compatibility, we will be enthusiastic about everything to do with our spouse. We do want to get to that place.

You reach compatibility by learning to negotiate decisions about which you are both enthusiastic. You will not ever become enthusiastic about everything to do with your spouse. My H and I have conflicts every day and every day we negotiate solutions. We are not enthusiastic until we have negotiated mutually enthusiastic decisions.

I agree you should table the religious issue until you become more skilled at negotiation. But that should be temporary.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

B
OP Offline
B
Thank you for the radio clip. Segment #2 really speaks to me. This is what I need for my marriage to improve.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
B
B
Thank you for the radio clip. Segment #2 really speaks to me. This is what I need for my marriage to improve.
You're welcome. And I think you'll find when you and your husband start using POJA things will improve.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
OP Offline
B
Yes, BrainHurts, I totally agree with you that POJA is the answer for us.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
B
OP Offline
B
We did listen to the radio clip together. And spent the afternoon working on the activities sheet and a bit on the UA time sheet. And chatting.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
B
OP Offline
B
My mind is in a muddle. Tonight, we completed the love busters questionaires. My hubby's indicared that #1 lovebuster from me is dishonesty. He wrote that I don't share my deep thoughts re where I stand on faith issues and that I don't tell him what the REAL issue is ( when we argue). He is right that I hold things back and the reason I do is that I fear DJ's.

How do I be more honest with him when I am afraid?

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
P
P
How do I be more honest with him when I am afraid?
It sounds like what your husband is complaining about is lack of Openness and Honesty rather than Dishonesty. There is a difference, although it seems subtle. Openness and Honesty is revealing what you know about yourself. Dishonesty is out right lying or trying to deceive.

He must eliminate his DJs if he wants you to be Open and Honest with him. He discourages Openness and Honesty every time he DJs you. You cannot open up to him until he protects you from himself.

Last edited by Prisca; 01/12/17 11:01 PM.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

P
P
What did you say to him about his lovebusters on the worksheet?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Prisca
What did you say to him about his lovebusters on the worksheet?

I said that he makes plans/decisions without considering my feelings/interests. If his plans differ from mine he will either go ahead anyway or DJ me by saying or implying I am irrational, unreasonable, selfish, cheap, etc. I also said he uses body language and deep sighs as well as words to DJ me.

As to O&H versus dishonesty, you are correct, that is what he meant as opposed to outright lying.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
P
P
Is he willing to come up with a plan to eliminate Disrespectful Judgements?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
As to O&H versus dishonesty, you are correct, that is what he meant as opposed to outright lying.
Lack of Openness and Honesty is not a lovebuster. Openness and Honesty is an emotional need that he may like for you to meet, but he first needs to make it safe for you to do so by eliminating all demands, disrespect, and angry outbursts.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Prisca
Is he willing to come up with a plan to eliminate Disrespectful Judgements?

Yes, I think so. But I have questions... Love buster for him - "my attitude about money is not very flexible". How do I work on eliminating this love buster ( under selfish demands on his worksheet) when I feel that he continually asks me to agree to things I don't want to do or contribute to re money?

Love buster for him..he is scared to bring up topics of importance to him because he thinks/knows I disagree on, I am very hard to talk to on issues I don't agree with or like. This is true for both of us..but mainly (I think) because we haven't learned how to negotiate. We have always used compromise or captulation which hasn't worked to resolve conflicts for good because neither of us are happy with outcome.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
B
OP Offline
B

Lack of Openness and Honesty is not a lovebuster. Openness and Honesty is an emotional need that he may like for you to meet, but he first needs to make it safe for you to do so by eliminating all demands, disrespect, and angry outbursts. [/quote]

Yes. Absolutely.

Me 56
Husband 63
Married 37 years
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 728 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation