Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
S
Originally Posted by xMetalHeadx
Also what are your thoughts on discernment counseling?
Could you explain what that is, please?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M

I did a quick Google to see what that is. Sounds like it's some technique to tell when a couple is a "mixed agenda" couple. i.e., one is enthusiastic about saving the marriage, and one is not.

That sounds silly to me, because ALL the couples here are like that. We already know your spouse is reluctant about the marriage. There is always a reluctant spouse or you wouldn't be here.

Dr. Harley already knew how to handle the reluctant spouse problem years before anyone invented the term "discernment counseling," although I suppose it might help some other counselors to finally figure out that this is a problem.

One page I looked at contained this comment: "As feelings and thoughts are clarified, a decision about the future of the relationship can be reached more easily. From there, the couple can be guided in separating amicably"

I have to laugh ruefully at that because there is no amicable separation. frown

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M

I would focus on saving your marriage and protecting your children. Going to "counseling" will do neither.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Also, what good would it do to file for divorce (when i want to be with her) and then expose?

The reason you would file for divorce is not to get divorced, but to get legal protection for your kids. That has to be your first order of business. Who else is going to protect them, if not you?

I am sure you want to be with her, and we will do everything possible to make that happen, but IT IS A LONG, LONG SHOT because this is very far gone. We will guide you to do everything possible to get her back, and if it happens, you can drop the divorce. But, protect your kids FIRST.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

X
OP Offline
X
Im afraid if i push sole custody it will piss her off and try to screw me. She told me sat she had already filed for divorce but is left me everything and is not asking for child support. Since she left we have actually talked about our time with the kids, bills etc and everything has been extremely peaceful and agreesble. We have even had peaceful talks about our marraige and what went wrong. Im not reaching out to her by any means , Im not calling her about it or pushing the issue it just happensin the middle of the conversations.
And it prolly means nothing but she has a picture of her and i at her place in her living room.

M
M
Im afraid if i push sole custody it will piss her off and try to screw me. She told me sat she had already filed for divorce but is left me everything and is not asking for child support. Since she left we have actually talked about our time with the kids, bills etc and everything has been extremely peaceful and agreesble. We have even had peaceful talks about our marraige and what went wrong. Im not reaching out to her by any means , Im not calling her about it or pushing the issue it just happensin the middle of the conversations.
And it prolly means nothing but she has a picture of her and i at her place in her living room.

You need to do the right thing for your kids and do everything in your power to protect them. The best time to do that is when she is fogged out and distracted.

Exposure 101

X
OP Offline
X
Thanks melody.

In my state the only no-fault divorce u can file is incompatibility. Which Im assuming she had to had file under that. But the catch is u and ur spouse have to attend classes about the effects of divorce on the kids (if u have minor children which we do). Anybody have any luck with that helping to stop the divorce?

M
M
Thanks melody.

In my state the only no-fault divorce u can file is incompatibility. Which Im assuming she had to had file under that. But the catch is u and ur spouse have to attend classes about the effects of divorce on the kids (if u have minor children which we do). Anybody have any luck with that helping to stop the divorce?

In most no fault states, adultery is taken into account when to comes to child custody and property division.

Exposure 101

T
T
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
In most no fault states, adultery is taken into account when to comes to child custody and property division.

Unfortunately, according to my lawyer, that is not the case in my state. :-(

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 822 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation