Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#657810 03/30/00 10:17 AM
R
RWD Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Next Fri, is my x's and her father's birthday. We had always celebrated together. I'm pretty sure that won't happen this year, although I had been considering inviting them over next week as the kids are on spring break and I need to get back to work after being off most of this week with my sick son.<P>Anyway, how big a deal should I make of the birthday to the kids. Should I remind the kids or just let that up to them to get cards, gifts, etc. ? I guess i should encourage them especially for their grandfather, but for some reason I don't feel like doing it for the mother.

#657811 03/30/00 10:28 AM
M
M
Bob,<P>For the grandfather, I would definately encourage the kids to get him a card, gift or whatever. <P>As for their mother, I would remind them that it is her birthday but leave it up to them about whether or not to get a gift. (Of course, this advice could be coming your way because of my anger right now [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] )<P>Take care,<BR>Mitzi

#657812 03/30/00 10:46 AM
S
S
Hi RWD -<P>For some reason, huh? LOL!!! You make me laugh!!!<P>Yes, I would tell them of BOTH birthdays and ask them what they want to do!!!!<P>Let it be their choice as to how big or how little they want it.....<P>Hugs,<P>Sheba<p>[This message has been edited by Sheba (edited March 30, 2000).]

#657813 03/30/00 10:53 AM
B
B
Your wife made the decision to walk away from you and her children. She wants a life change so let her have it. Encourage the kids to make a card for grandpa, maybe pick him up something small from the store. Remind them it's their mom's b-day and they can make her something if they want. I guess I feel that purchasing gifts for the children to give their parent(s) is the responsiblity of a spouse when the kids are young. She doesn't want to be your spouse, so your not obligated. If she wants to be divorced, let her start living the divorced life.

#657814 03/30/00 12:06 PM
R
RWD Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Bonnie, <BR>Thats the way I am leaning because at Xmas, prior to us ending it she had told me she wanted this particular perfume. Well when we decided to end it, there was no way I was going to buy it. Well she told my daughter and I ended up buying it for d to give to her mother. I sure hope om enjoys it [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com].<P>I just reminded my son that next week is his grandfather's birthday and he said his mom's too. I asked what he ws going to do, and he said give him a card and some money(?). <P>Not sure what my d wants to do.<P>I guess their mother has brought their birthdays up, otherwise how else would kids remember it.

#657815 03/30/00 12:10 PM
T
T
I agree with Bonnie!<P> [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]

#657816 03/31/00 01:07 AM
T
T
I think if your children want to buy their mother something you should support their decision. Maybe offer a cetain amount that they are allowed to spend. I think that you allowing them to purchase a gift for their mother shows that you are a better person than she is.<P>My B-day present was getting arrested by my H and he didn't even help my kids do anything for me. My son told me that he asked Dad what to do for my b-day, and Dad said he didn't know and that I told him I didn't want a gift from him (my h). Can you imagine lying to an 8 year old? I never even mentioned my b-day to either my H or my son. My son felt bad about not having anything to give me, but of course I told him the best gift was having my darling son with me on my b-day. I think kids love both parents no matter what. Even though I find it hard to understand sometimes [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]

#657817 03/30/00 05:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is a real sore spot for me, since we separated in July, my BD was in August and he didn't even take the kids shopping for anything for me...and at this point, we were just separated, the door was open for reconciliation(somewhat). <BR>His BD is Monday....I am not going to acknowledge it, my kids are 16 and 14, they can figure it out and decide if they <BR>want to do anything for him, I am not prompting them in any way. I agree with Bonnie, she is divorced, let her boyfriend take care of her BD needs!!!<BR><P>------------------<BR>Susan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (DaisyTheCat2), 683 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation