Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
OP Offline
W
Hi All,<P>It has been a long while since I started a thread. I try to reply when I feel I have something to contribute, but most of all I just lurk.<P>In my reply to SDS the other day I gave her all the info from this site that Jim(NSR) compiled and sent me (thanks Jim). One of the things that struck me was a quote about getting past resentment.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>An emotional reaction to a painful event fades over time, as long as the painful event is not repeated. (page 154 of SAA)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Focusing on the present and future can help diminsh resentment<P>My dilema is this...<BR>When I focus on the present and future I live in my resentment.<P>My present is my W is still shacked up with LRB.<P>My future is divorce and starting over.<P>These are really my only resentments, no big deal...LOL...<P>Then to top it all off my STBX thinks we're friends. She told FIL how great we get along. I told FIL that is because I'm not an unmitigated [censored]****. I wish I could read her mind sometimes just so I know if she is really in complete turmoil, because most of time I see her she is her happy-[censored] self...blech!!!<P>So what do I do???<BR>I try to keep all of my dealings with her buisness like. She on the other hand is happy and cheerful, and I'm going give me a break...you suck ladie...you are a huge frikken dissappointment...I want to kill LRB...<P>Sometimes I want to hug her...sometimes I want to punch her...most of the time I am indifferent towards her...<P>As much as I want to I still commit no lovebusters...though I really want to tell her exactly how much she hurt me and my daughter by getting involved in this affair.<P>I also wonder if the reason she didn't come back was due to lack of humility. I can totaly see her running because of that.<P>Will she ever break this pattern of copping out and running when her relationships falter. Her mom did this to her dad and she has spent the last 30 years in therepy. So I know where W gets this behavior from.<P>Enough of my ranting...The bottom line is I stil am angry,and resentful, the difference is it only eats my lunch about 15 minutes a week, usualy right after I have to see her happy-[censored].<P>That's my post...LOL<P>Love you all,<P>Bill<BR><P>------------------<BR>BB<BR>

B
B
Hey Bill,<P>I know exactly whatyou mean buddy! I haven't posted in a long time. I guess its because a: I'm trying to get on with life as a single father of a 3 and 6 year old Daughters, and b: I don't feel I can give much advice since I failed to save my own marriage.<P>Anyway, I know what you are saying about sometimes wanting to hug or punch the stbx. But mostly I'm just indifferent too. Indifference is good in my opinion. It makes the whole process easier.<BR>I'm lucky in a way I guess, I only have to see the STBX once every 2 weeks at drop off time. the sitter handles the rest of the trade offs. But I still have to listen to my girls cry and tell me they miss thier mommy. Hearing them ask why mommy isn't here or telling me they miss her just rips my heart out every time.<P>That is when the anger gets to me. Its not that she left me for another man, s*** happens I guess, but I will never understand how she could walk away from her children for that [censored]. To hear her tell it, I took the kids away from her as punishment for her infidelity, but the truth is she went into court and told the judge that she didn't want to fight over them.(translation: OM has no children, wants no children, and stbx was afraid the kids would interfere with her relationship with him)uuuuuggggggh [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>I sware sometimes I can't believe what this affair has done to the very intelligent woman who I married. I don't know her any more and frankly don't like the person she has become. For the life of me, I get so angry when I think that she could just give up the kids without a fight. I mean, I didn't want to drag the kids through a custody battle, for all our sakes, but I lost what little respect I had for her left when she gave up and walked away. Now every two weeks I get to see the new cloths and toys that mommy buys them when they are at visitation with her (can you say guilt gifts?). But that seems to be the extent of her parenting ability right now.<P>On a more possitive note, the girls are adjusting pretty well, and we are getting into a new routine that seems to be working for all of us. My oldest is still having trouble over this from time to time, but I'm taking her to counciling starting this week and I think (hope) that will help her. <P>The girls seem happy again most of the time (except when they are over tired) and we are really solidifying our bond as a family I think. My 6 yo told me last week she thinks I should date, LOL ( soon after I found out STBX introduced the girls to the OM at his house 5 days after she moved out [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] ).<P>Good luck Bill, I know we are running parellel lives out here some where.<P>Brentb

N
N
Hey Bill,<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Sometimes I want to hug her...sometimes I want to punch her...most of the time I am indifferent towards her...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>This is my reality too. I could begin a thread myself about the crap I put up with, day in and day out. <P>Yeah, I'm trying to be friends with him, but just like when you have a girl/boyfriend who is impossible to be friends with after you've slept together, this is feeling somewhat impossible at times. <P>When you think about it, there sure didn't seem to be this many in the midst of divorce on the old Harley Infidelity Boards, did there? There must be something in the air, or maybe the water... either way, I am consistently surprised at how many people are here... I would say that misery loves company, but I haven't met one yet who outright wanted to go through this pain...<P>love ya [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>

T
T
Hi Bill,<P>Long time no "see"... I perfectly understand what you are going through... don't you wish this was all nothing but a bad dream and that one morning you'd wake up realizing that nothing was true? That the W was still there and nothing had changed but your awareness? [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] <P>For the next 2 weeks or so the W and I will still live under the same roof; it seems that she has accepted to move out so I need to find a place ASAP- she won't raise a finger, she's too busy with her new affair.<P>She too thinks we are friends (would you <B>choose</B> a friend like this? Maybe they belong in an asylum.<P>Don't worry about your resentment, like "the book" says time is the best cure. If you feel that way (resentful, angry, whatever) welcome the feeling, analyze it, feel it, let it go through your system. I found out that the feelings come back stronger when I try to suppress them, and that when I let them flow they eventually go away, when coming back, they're weaker.<P><B>PLUS</B> you (like I) have a daughter that deserves a happy, healthy and strong father.<P>Hang in there, Bill, you'll be alright (no, it's not easy for me to say, actually I feel like s**t in this very moment).<P>Alex<P>------------------<BR><B>Live fully and always learn</B>

R
RWD Offline
R
Bill, Brent, Alex,<P>Good news, this too shall pass! AT least I hope so.<P>Most of my resentment and anger for my x are gone now. It still is hard seeing her, but she doesn't seem any happy now that when she was with me. How could she be, how could any of them ever feel confident with their new men. In my case, my x's om was married(still is as far as I know)and he left his w when she got older, so my x who is insecure about her looks, is living with someone who dumped an older woman for a younger woman.<P>I too can understand how my x or anybodies spouse could want to leave a marriage, but how can you leave your kids. My x still to this day has not said she wants the kids to live with her. She said because her job interfers(she works straight afternoon and some nights when needed.) I guess I am lucky I can be flexible with my job. I don't know what I would do If I had a straight 8-5 job. Quit I guess, and find something more flexible.<P>My x didn't so that, instead she picked up more hours, so she can see the kids less. And since om works 3rd shift, I doubt she will take a day shift job because then they wouldn't be together either.<P><BR>Guys, you have to just keep working on yourselves. Try the book, "Rebuilding After Your Relationship Ends" by Bruce Fisher. It deals with all of these emotions.<P>In the section on anger, it states that anger is helpful in that it helps you breakoff the remaining portion of relationship and keeps you from just holding on and frees you up so you can grow.<P>I now treat my x as I would a babysitter. She gives me a list when she wants the kids, and if I have something to do on a day that isn't listed I make other arrangements. I ask if she wants the kids. I am assuming that she can't/won't take them and work from there. <P>There is atleast one if not 2 nights aweek when she can take the kids and she doesn't. It still bothers me that she doesn't take the kids those nights, but I guess she deserves some personal life too(don't tell anybody I said that!).<P>All these emotions we are going through are appropriate. We just cannot allow ourselves to dwell in them because our kids are depending on us.<P>HAng in there guys, we can and will make it.<P>God Bless all our families.<P>Bob

N
NSR Offline
N
I'll chime in too.<P>It is so strange to see all these once good/great moms throwing away their time with their kids.<P>My 17 yo is still having the hardest time with it...<BR>...after every visit with her... he goes through withdrawal-like symptoms.<BR>I wonder how long it will take before the younger 2 have the same problem?!<P>I'm not yet where most of you are...<BR>...not yet at the "indifferent" stage...<BR>...but I see my self getting there... slowly.<P>I guess one other difference is that my W still doesn't want to be friends...<BR>I don't know what she wants...<BR>I still get the 'F... ..U's... and name calling...<BR>...definitely not any kind of "friendship".<P>Our divorce could happen in just 2 weeks time...<BR>...and I thank each and everyone of you for helping me accept(emotionally) this. I don't know how I could have survived without the forum or you all. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>Jim

R
R
Hey, Bill,<P>I can relate, friend. I have been divorced now for a little over one month. The resentments are still there. Definitely not in full force by any means, but definitely still there. <P>I do believe that only time can put this in a better perspective for all of us (sorry, I know everyone is sick of hearing that). I think that once our past begins to be filled by happier and more loving times and memories, it will "push" the pain and anger and resentments further and further away. What is making it so hard on everybody right now is that this pain and hurt is part of our present and most recent past. What time will do is allow us to experience some better times, experiences and memories that will become our "new" present and most recent past.<P>It is so very hard for all of you with young kids that have to have the frequent interactions with your x's or soon to be x. At least I am spared that much frequent interaction and my healing process has been exponentially quicker in comparison to some, I think.<P>The interesting thing is that my x has "come around" some. I am now dating one of his friends. Apparently, the friend has been "waiting in the wings". When the divorce was final he had a talk with my x and told him he was going to go out with me. My x was surpised. He and my x have had a couple talks - one in which my x told him that he(x)felt "uncomfortable" with his friend taking me to a motorcycle event that my x also attended. <P>He has also not finished moving his stuff from my house, so that keeps things a little "fresh". There are some loose ends on the separation of the finances that have not been completed, either. These all require continued, but sporadic, interaction that somewhat keeps the hurt alive. Also, he has begun to introduce the OW to the kids and grandkids. We have all had some great laughs as the kids report the OW as being manly and "butch" - she supposedly looks like a famous butch former female tennis star! Basically, they said she is 100% opposite me in every aspect of physicial appearance and mannerisms. I said - more power to them!<P>Mostly, I do a great job of staying positive and enjoying the people in my life who love and care about me. I wonder sometimes if my x is trying to be my friend, as others above have pointed out. I laughed at ThisAlex's response: Who would choose a friend like our x's????? Not me! We will always have grandchildren together and our respective children whom we have each helped to raise. And, I am closer to my x's Mom than he is. She recently spent 10 days here in Atlanta and stayed with me. I am going to visit her in MO in July. Other than these connections, as far as I am concerned, there is no tie to my x. I treat him civilly as I would any other person, but I have no desire to be a friend. A friend is a person you have a sense of trust in and feel that you can rely upon for certain things. I have neither trust nor any sense of reliability as far as my x is concerned. <P>He is just a person with whom I shared some great times and some awful times. I am hoping that time will help me to remember the best of our relationship with fond memories and to be able to remember the awful memories a lot less painfully than thinking of them now causes.<P>Bill, my best advice to you is to work as hard as you can on finding the day to day happiness and joy in whatever ways you can and with whomever loves and cares about you. If you are living a life that is full and rich in all the ways that you are able to and can, despite what has happened, your heart will find peace and happiness again.<P>Desiree<P>------------------<BR>"Life is made up, not of great sacrifices or duties, but of little things in which smiles and kindnesses and small obligations, given habitually, are what win and preserve the heart and secure comfort."<P>Sir Humphry Davy<BR>

P
P
bill,<BR> YOU SAID:<BR> "Then to top it all off my STBX thinks we're friends. She told FIL how great we get along. I told FIL that is because I'm not an unmitigated [censored]****. I wish I could read her mind sometimes just so I know if she is really in complete turmoil, because most of time I see her she is her happy-[censored] self...blech!!!"<P> Two things:<BR> One I'm there with the "we get along...." bull. My stbx said to her mother "I wish Frank was my BROTHER" WHAT THE HECK is THAT supposed to mean?????? <BR>And two:<BR> My Father (God rest his soul) Always taught me that if someone acts TOO MUCH of ANYTHING, it's an act. So, if she's acting all happy and wonderful in front of you, SHE'S ACTING!! <BR> Hang in there brother. GOOD LUCK & PRAYERS FRANK

N
N
I too am soo frustrated with my stbexH, He also acts like nothing is wrong and really friendly.. I find him to be soo hypocritical that I just want to throw up sometimes. Unfortunately, when you have kids you still have to deal with these jerks!. My H is having an affair and moved out. He sees the kids for dinner two times each week as well as every other weekend and talks to them dailey.. I tell him about school events so he can participate. Is he satisfied with this arrangement.. no.. he wants more.. he thinks that I am punishing him for his infidelity and decision to leave the marriage by restricitng his access to the kids.. this is all my choice and my problem apparently. (I want him to be involved with the kids.. but he never has been before.. he always worked late and weekends.. or took off to go boating or drinking with theguys). I am worried that he will push and push til he gets what he thinks he wants (more time with the kids) and than it will be too much for him and his new life.. than who gets hurt? The kids because they are the ones who get hurt and dissppointed when he cancels. How can I get him to realize that the kids need to come first over his or my needs and that less time with the kids is not a result of anything I have done.. it is just a natural result of his having left.

L
L
Bill,<P>I'm sorry to see that you aren't posting with some better news, but its nice to see you anyway.<P>Someone mentioned, "Rebuilding When your Relationship Ends", by Dr. Bruce Fisher. This is an excellent book and has helped me with a lot of feelings as well.<P>The good news is, that this is all part of the process we all must go through and the fact that you "feel" anything is very positive. All of us have gone through that period where we felt "numb". If you stay in that place too long, thats not healthy.<P>According to the book that was mentioned earlier, we must all go thru the following emotions:<P>Denial, Fear, Adaption, Loneliness, friendship, guilt, rejection, grief, anger, letting go, self worth, transition, openness, love, trust, relatedness, sexuality, singleness, purpose, and freedom. <P>We don't all go thru those emotions in that particular order, but we all go thru each and every one of them to heal and grow.<P>I think most of us here on this DIVORCED site were over at the GENERAL QUESTIONS at the same time. (we jammed it up so badly, we got our own site). We all tried Plan A. We all gave it our best. We all had a hard time coming to the terms of the divorce. <P>There is definetly a strange rise in divorces, affairs, and walk away wife/mom syndrome. I personally had bigger hopes for the new millenium . <P>Bill your a good dad and you deserve better. We all do. Someone said it above, it will pass in time. I still go back to taking things one hour at a time. Not because I miss him, but because I don't like the person he has become. Be strong for your daughter.<P>Sending strength, prayers and hugs to all, Dana<P>Ability is what you are capable of doing.<BR>Motivation determines what you do.<BR>Attitude determines how well you do it.<BR> (Lou Holtz)<P><BR>

W
OP Offline
W
Brent,<BR>It is amazing how the lust of a relationship can cloud the minds of intelligent people. My W has 2 college degrees. As hard as it is my D is also adjusting to the wreckage of life as she knew it.<P>Sheryl,<BR>I know friend, this is our harsh reality...love ya too [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P><BR>Alex,<BR>Good to hear from you. So your W is into EMA#2? Damn...Enjoy the serenity of living single. It can be a time of extreme growth. Give your D all the love you can muster.<P>Bob,<BR>I'm hangin' in. Good to hear that you are gettint over the resentments, it gives me hope. I will check out that book.<P>Jim,<BR>Our voice of balance and reason. I truly am sorry that your stbx is still so combative. I would have thought that God would have warmed her heart by now. Keep doing the next right thing brother.<P>Desiree,<BR>Where did their minds go...LOL<BR>You dear friend are a becon of hope. Your positve outlook is truly motivational. I thank you for your inspiration...I love you friend...<P>Frank,<BR>I like your dad...My FIL keeps telling me to forget her I'll find someone better. He did and for all the money in the world wouldn't go back.<P><BR>Nikki,<BR>Hang in there sister...They tell us it gets better...I believe it.<P>Dana,<BR>I will get that book...another for my library...LOL<BR>Interesting perspective on the boards.<BR>BIL and I were talking about how this generation X puts on value on marriage. My granparents were married 52 yrs and 45 yrs, each dealt with problems we couldn't imagine yet stuck it out and found true love even at the end of my grandfathers lives...actualy more so than when they were newly-weds.<P>Well everyone I'm ready for another day on this journey of life and I thank you each for helping.<P>Love Ya's,<P>Bill<P>------------------<BR>BB<BR>

A
A
Hi Bill,<P>Well I come with hope that yes, time can bring a kind of friendship. In my case my stbx and I still work together so if we were at eachothers throats constantly one or both of us would be jobless. However, it has taken us 5 years of separation to really find a form of friendship that allows us to interact. I will admit I never thought it possible when I first found out about his EMA. <P>I am astonished at the amount of mothers who are willing to be away from their children for any amount of time. If I had been blessed with children they would be my number one priority. I hope that for the kids sake it's only the fog of the affair that is causing this apathy to be a parent. And that they will soon come out of it and be there for the kids. <P>RWD, Thanks for recommending the book, I think I'll go get it.

N
N
Yeah, I think it is pathetic when either parent effectively abandons their child in favor of their other person. How pathetic and sad that type of person is! My H is fightin to stay involved.. so I do not have that complaint.. I have my doubts about how long it will last.. but I will take that one step at a time. A while back he sent me an e mail in which he claimed that he had no choice but to leave the marriage and that his choice was the best choice for all of us (ohh isn't he just a superior being!!!). He asked me to understand how hard it was for him to not see the children every night and know that they were in the next room. You know, I do know that must be har for him.. I do know that he loves his kids. But , this was a choice he made and I do not understand it.. I could never make a choice that took me away from my kids in any way or form! They need me so much at their young stages (5 and 3( and I would not miss a moment of it! So why does he think it is ok to leave... he is so sure the kids will be ok as long as he stays involved in their lives? How can he know that? how can he risk their emotional well being for the possibility that he might be happier in some other relationship? Doesn't the fact that the kids won't be happy as a result of his choice make any difference to him? I do not understand the behavior of a man or woman who leaves a marriage in which there are still young children to love and raise. Can someone explain this to me? Why and how do they get the strength to believe that they are doing the right thing? Lord alone knows thatI am always wondering if I am doing the right thing... how can they be so sure?

T
T
I have a question....and this is just a question. Not something I have completely thought through. But I wanted to get your perspectives.<P>Why do we have to be friends with our WS's.??<P>I'm sure like for me, your situations fell out of the sky! Well, they did for my children as well.<P>Op has my H completly controlled. He is in no way, shape or form the man, or father that he was. <P>He came home from this trip with OP and seems to have decided that his "calling" is to do more "important" work (with OP pulling his puppet strings) than raising his children.<P>He is goes back and forth, being mean to me then apologizeing for it. I tell him I need to move forward....he says no, let's talk, we go to a counselor and he is hostile to both of us (me and counselor). I feel it is like emotional abuse.<P>He treats the kids like they are a burdon, keeping him from his more important work.<P>I can't help but feel like I need to be in a "safe" house for a while, and I know my children feel the same way. (they're in counseling BTW)<P>So my question is......if we set things up via a separation agreement and I have custody of the children why do I HAVE to be his friend (ie. talk to him, see him)<P>I know those feelings will change after some time, but even his mother said "you don't have to be his friend...friends don't treat friends this way" <P>Where is the fine line ....forgiving them, loving them unconditionally, yet (in dr. Laura's terms) taking a stand for something. NOt just having the attitude that we seem to have in this society..."whatever makes you happy"...<P>How can I try to hold tight to what I believe is right, without becoming too zealous, to angry, to self rightious!!!!!<P>My kids counselor is totally for making him bear the responsibility of walking out. She thinks the parent with the children does not need to sugar coat the situation. seems to feel it does not help the children, just creates a big black hole for them.<P>Since this has happened to my H and I, my MIL has had a different view towards another grandchild that this happened too. My H's brother's wife did the same thing...walked out....leaving a D. At first everyone sugar coated it......(she was 3 when it happened). Now that she is 11 and still having problems my MIL spoke with her and without bashing her mom, let her know that her Dad did not want this to happen. ANd she began to discuss ways to make better choices..... It was like a weight was lifted off of her......<P>Anyway, I am rambling....I just wanted to know how you are friends, without bitterness, but trying to raise your children to take the higher ground?????

N
N
tootrusting, <P>...for me, the reason to stay friends, the ONLY true reason, is our children (even though they are older teens and I hesitate to call them 'children' anymore). <P>Plus, and this is purely fiscal, I want to make sure he helps me with the household expenses and doesn't just run off and hide in another state somewhere, which he has threatened to do. Yes, it's written in the divorce agreement, but does that matter? I'll answer that. It doesn't. If he gets ticked off at me, he just won't pay and deal with the consequences if I find him. He's told me outright. <P>And there is a final reason: he was my H for 20 years and I still love him. I expect I always will. But I gotta tell ya, it's fading. I want to protect what's left, so I'm making an effort to be friends for that reason too. And yes, I get to hear about other women (blech), but hearing about it helps me to make my life decisions. Whenever he tells me about someone it helps me to remember why I'm doing this divorce thing.<P>Hope this helps.<p>[This message has been edited by new_beginning (edited May 24, 2000).]

G
G
New Begining,<BR>Your response to TT. touched an area that I have been wondering about: <BR>What happens when one or both D persons start dating again? My ex relentlessy works at being *friends* (and then some!), and I feel bad that I have to constantly rebuff his advances at *friendship* so he doesnt step over the line, and we both (all) get hurt again. (atually it's helps me not "step over the line" too ).<BR>How is that you *hear* about these ow? Does he just bring them up in conversation? Do you think your H is trying to create some jealousy in you? <BR>Would you tell him about any om that you might meet? How do you think he would react?<P>This seems like a whole tricky area to deal with if you plan on staying *friends* with your ex, even if you don't it's still gotta be a touchy area. I would be interested to hear how you handle it.

N
N
Hi Girlfriend,<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>What happens when one or both D persons start dating again?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Honestly, it's a tough situation. In one way, I want to keep the lines of communication open, and in another, I want to never talk about this stuff (like girlfriends) - keep it to just to stuff about the kids, etc. But I still care, and I worry about him too. Let me give you an example: My stbx is out boinking women without protection. I have begged him to have an HIV test, especially since I was with him (using condoms) since my clean HIV/STD tests from my one romp in the hay with the OM last May. My sbtx would never have the tests, and it was one of the criteria for our getting back together. I'm afraid he's gonna get together with someone in a moment of weakness that hasn't taken the time to make sure she's clean. And right now, he's seeing a 26 yr. old woman who's been married twice and admits to 'looking for love in all the wrong places'... so, you can imagine my fears for him. Well, finally, this week he did it, which only helps me at this point, not him so much since he's been active since moving out. <P>The next thing I'm gonna say involves me...I'd never do this except for the fact that I am in the middle of my friend Bill's thread. I have met someone else. Nothing physical has happened yet, but I am emotionally connected to this new man. Even though nothing has happened yet, I have told him that before anything does we both need clean HIV/STD tests. I'm not really worried about him being positive, but it just makes sense these days to start with a clean slate. And before anyone reams me for even talking to someone before my divorce is final... please be gentle, I can't take anymore grief right now, and my marriage has been dead for quite some time. However, my point is this: yes, my stbx knows about this man, and yes, he is angry. I'm honestly not sure why at this point - truthfully. I suspect it is like how I feel when I hear about the other women in his life: sad that it's really over between us, worried that he's gonna make a mistake, and yes, a bit jealous. I don't cry over it or anything, but it stings.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> My ex relentlessy works at being *friends* (and then some!), and I feel bad that I have to constantly rebuff his advances at *friendship* so he doesnt step over the line, and we both (all) get hurt again. (atually it's helps me not "step over the line" too ).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I guess that we all make our own rules about what is acceptable. When David and I first seperated, we tried to be friends, and it just didn't work. I think we both expected that somehow we would work it out and just needed time to heal. The LAST thing I wanted to hear about was the %#@!* OW!!! The second time was easier, the third almost a breeze... painful, yes, but not gut-wrenching pain. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>How is that you *hear* about these ow? Does he just bring them up in conversation? Do you think your H is trying to create some jealousy in you? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I ask sometimes, "How is it going with particular OW?" or he tells me without my asking when he wants to get a rise out of me. Like the time he told me about spending $60 on dinner for her. Of course, he KNEW that would piss me off... Mr. Won't Spend A Dime On Burger King for me... but this new one, the 26 yr. old, he told me outright. Yes, probably to make me jealous. Didn't work though, although someone will be quick to tell me that it's because my mind is occupied with someone else now. True enough, and dammit if it doesn't feel good. I'm tired of trying to figure out the puzzle named David. Too hard, too many pieces...<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Would you tell him about any om that you might meet? How do you think he would react?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>He wants to know NOTHING about the other man I have met. NOTHING. I respect his wishes and tell him nothing. If he asked and truly wanted to know, I would tell him. I'm not sure if that's the best course of action or not, to be honest. Being a woman, I'm curious more about how these women LOOK than who they are. <P>Well, Lord knows if I've answered your questions in the way you needed to hear... you let me know, okay Girlfriend???<P><BR>

R
RWD Offline
R
tootrusting,<P>I agree with you. I don't want to be friends with my x even for the childrens sake. She only goes to their events because she has too, not because she wants too. I will not sit with her and see how bored she is.<P>I will talk civily to her(I've been able to do this the past few weeks), but I could care less how her and om are doing, or when om dumps her, who she is seeing. I don't wish any harm to her although I think om already gave her some kind of veneral infection. She is the one that made the choices she did.<P>I wasn't the perfect husband and I had my faults. BUt I was willing to work on them, and she wasn't and she wanted out in the worse way. She chose that,and with that goes my friendship.<P>What kind of relationship she has with the kids is up to her. I do not bad mouth her to the kids and I don't try to keep them away from her. She has chosen to do that herself. <P>She chose herself over her family, specifically over her kids. So she will reap what she has sown.

G
G
New Beginning,<BR>Wow. Thanks for the reply. It really is a tough situation!<BR>My ex would never tell me if he was seeing anyone. He was/is a serial cheater/liar though, so he is conditioned to hide any personal information about his life. He would/does, lie outright about all kinds of things.<P>I am certain, since he *dated* all through our marriage really, that he is continuing to see others. You are correct, the thought of that gets less painful after a while.<P>What I am finding difficult is that I still care about him too. A lot. On a level that goes way deeper than "who does what to whom", or "needs", or anything really. There's' something very frightened and vulnerable about him that just rips your heart out.<P>I have begun seeing other people, no one serious, just accepting the occasional invitation out.<P>At first, I had a hard time When H called or came for our son. He would ask things like:<P>H: "so, what did you do today?"<BR>Me:"Oh, lot's of *stuff*. It's been a pretty busy day...<BR>I tried to be polite without going into detail, but eventually H saw flowers: ("nice flowers! Where'd you get those?") <BR>Or the phone would ring while he was here, and it would be a guy. After seeing that he did not seem upset at all. I began to relax about what I said on the phone, or what I had around the house, Ticket stubs, a borrowed jacket, or other things that I've had hanging around, at times, when he showed up.<P>H did begin to call & visit more frequently, and recently asked if I would like to go browsing antique shops with him, (something we both enjoy), so although he seemed not to <BR>react to my seeing other people, on some level, I'm sure upsets him.<P>We both know we have no future together. <BR>("All the Kings Horses and all the Kings Men" could never put us together again!)<P>I declined his invitation spend time with him antiquing, I told him it felt *weird* hanging out* with him, like he wanted to enjoy our family without the responsibilities for one.<P>I told him it was awkward to talk to him at any length, because he hides so much about <BR>himself that there are big *holes* in his conversation. (I always feel compelled to *piece them together* and he gets angry).<BR>I still seem to want to be *let in* to the <BR>places he hides in.<P>he said he understood and left, but he called several times later on, I left the machine on but he left no messages. <BR>Then he started *from scratch* trying to spend ever more time with us in any way he could manage. I asked him why, (again), was he doing this, I told him that my friendships are not superficial, that my friends don't ask me about my life, but keep theirs *off limits to me!<P>He became VERY angry then, saying that he has never felt that he could trust anyone!<BR>That the few people he felt he could open up to, talk to, were shutting him out, (me, in <BR>particular). He said that HE had not dated anyone since we split up. (Rather ironic no?)<P>I too have the same fear of health issues for him that you mentioned. I completely agree <BR>that any persons embarking on a new intimate relationship should proceed exactly as you <BR>have outlined. H has NEVER practiced safe sex and I too worry about that proverbial <BR>*Moment of Weakness* (or more accurately, in our case, many such moments!).<P>NB, I would be SO upset if H threw ow in my face, (like the 60$ dinner deal!). I don't know how you stand that! I'm glad you've begun to spend time with someone who makes you feel good!! btw, I don't think paperwork ends a marriage, I think a mutual decision to end it, ends it.<BR>I like what you wrote below:<P>"I guess that we all make our own rules about what is acceptable"<P>Another good one is:<BR>"Experience is the biggest killer of theory"<P>sorry this was so long, my apologies to Bill also.<P><p>[This message has been edited by Girlfriend (edited May 24, 2000).]

W
OP Offline
W
Wow...another flaming thread...I had no idea I would spark this kind of replies...LOL<P>I see no real reason to be friends w/XW. Our relationship via our daughter is now been reduced to a buisness partnership. The goal being to raise a well adjusted, intellegent, self-confident child. To that end W and I both agree. Like many buisnesses partners don't necessarily have to like one another they just have to work toward the goal in a civilised manner.<P>When my D is old enough and asks why her mommy and I broke up, you can bet your [censored] I'm going to tell her exactly why. "Your mommy left me for a 17 year old drug dealing painter."<P>I hope that this won't cause resentment between them, if it does that is going to be part of Robin's tab for her actions.<P>Ultimately I want her to see how one's self-centeredness effects the lives of those around her, and to break this pattern Robin's grandmother established.<P>Anyhoo, that's just my opinion...<P>Bill<P>------------------<BR>BB<BR>

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 667 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation