Marriage Builders
Posted By: imagine Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/22/09 03:13 PM
Scripture tells us to pray for our enemies. We expose them so that their is no activity that is not hidden from the world.

I believe we should be angry for their insult to Gods holy institution of marriage. How do we reconcile this to seeking their benefit?
Posted By: Stellakat Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/22/09 03:21 PM
Tell us your story.
Posted By: imagine Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/22/09 03:35 PM
Stella,

This is for those posters like GWN, Kickme who were/are ordained ministers. Obviously there is a great deal of stress in their lives.

As I pray for these folk I realise that that there witness is under great stress. I seek for ways that a Christian can honour God under trying circumstances.
Posted By: MrsWondering Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/22/09 05:20 PM
imagine,

I too am curious about your story...

Mrs. W
Posted By: schoolbus Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/22/09 05:43 PM
Ms. W.

You know the story.

SB
I seek for ways that a Christian can honour God under trying circumstances.
Imagine, I would ask you to entertain that it isn't just Christians who need to honor G-d during trying times, but ALL humans.

I choose to believe that we honor G-d by our actions. I choose to not become bitter, but look at my part, change my part and become a better person. I choose to seek G-d and ask him what he needs from me to honor him and serve him.

In the AA big book there is a page on resentments where for two solid weeks it is suggested to pray for the person you resent. We aren't G-d, we are HUMANS and don't see the bigger picture.

I'm certainly not suggesting we make it easy on them, like them, wish the best etc. I'm just suggesting that honoring G-d is leaving them in G-ds hands.
Posted By: schoolbus Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/22/09 06:57 PM
Queenie,

I liked your answer.

imagine might want to respond with the truth of his story, given the "Christian" nature of the question, and many of his posts.

SB
Posted By: Pariah Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/22/09 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by schoolbus
Ms. W.

You know the story.

SB

There doesn't seem to be one.
Posted By: imagine Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/22/09 08:34 PM
Like yourselves I carry very great burden when a Christian is under strain. More so than a non-Christian who does not have the responsibility of representing Christ.

I believe that any circumstance is allowed by God for a purpose. We can observe Job who had testified strongly in God's favour, but was used to serve as an example of God's strength, sovereignty and love.

I can plainly envisage the pain and frustration in a Christian's heart as he struggles to deal with his own circumstances. Many non Christians might say that a believer has the power to combat the circumstances. I believe they are correct. But only in Christ.

Against the advice of this panel of not educating affair participants. May there not be opportunity to share personal witness that will extend God's kingdom?
Posted By: MrsWondering Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/22/09 08:53 PM
Imagine,

Why the reticence to share your story? I realize there is no rule here that says that you have to, of course, but I do feel that you would be taken more seriously if you chose to be forthcoming...

Mrs. W
Posted By: Pariah Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/22/09 08:55 PM
It's called being deceiving.
Posted By: imagine Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/22/09 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by QueeniesNewLife
I seek for ways that a Christian can honour God under trying circumstances.
Imagine, I would ask you to entertain that it isn't just Christians who need to honor G-d during trying times, but ALL humans.

Thanks for your valued input Queenie.

There is a Scripture in the New Testament that instructs a Christian to take up his daily cross. One of the testimonies of a Christian is that they will suffer in their Christian walk.

Failure to experience suffering for their faith is strongly going to question their spiritual strength. I'm looking at infidelity being a test of their spiritual depth.
Posted By: Pariah Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/22/09 09:03 PM
Listen to alot of John Lennon do you?
Posted By: imagine Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/22/09 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Pariah

Hmmm! Pariah I always wondered why they tossed you out the church.
Posted By: imagine Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/22/09 09:22 PM
Hi Mrs W,

I started half a story for Zen on Valentines day. Still need to complete it.
Posted By: MrsWondering Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/22/09 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by imagine
Hi Mrs W,

I started half a story for Zen on Valentines day. Still need to complete it.

I will look forward to reading it, Imagine. Thanks! smile

Mrs. W
Posted By: Pariah Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/22/09 09:36 PM

I know why.

C'mon take another swipe.

Seems I struck the right nerve about your user name.
Posted By: Exodus1414 Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/22/09 11:09 PM
May there not be opportunity to share personal witness that will extend God's kingdom?

The answer is yes... and many times over. The fact that an OP still draws breath means a BS has chosen to resist the fleshly desire for revenge. Only God knows how many prayers have been sent up by betrayed spouses who earnestly feared for the souls of their WS AND the OP. Many times what an OP doesn't see and hear is a stronger witness than any words an OP would accept from a BS... though the OP may not realize that fact.

Christians who have been through affairs learn new lessons about faith, love, forgiveness, long suffering and mercy that make them better witnesses in many different areas of their lives.
That said, it is unwise and unnecessary for a betrayed spouse or a wayward spouse to feel responsible for directly ministering to the OP. God will send someone else to do that job.

Posted By: imagine Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/23/09 05:55 AM

I know why.

C'mon take another swipe.

Seems I struck the right nerve about your user name.

LOL. Sorry, the question seemed so obscure, I had no idea of the questions inception. Imagination is part of my personality. My house is full of innovative gadgets of my own design.

I hope too that I can offer an imaginative solution to somebodies marital problem.
Posted By: bigkahuna Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/23/09 05:56 AM
Originally Posted by Exodus1414
That said, it is unwise and unnecessary for a betrayed spouse or a wayward spouse to feel responsible for directly ministering to the OP. God will send someone else to do that job.

I'd be pretty happy to "minister" to OM with a baseball bat actually.
Posted By: imagine Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/23/09 06:04 AM
Originally Posted by bigkahuna
Originally Posted by Exodus1414

I'd be pretty happy to "minister" to OM with a baseball bat actually.

Yeah! This is pretty much my initial reaction. It takes quite a bit of effort on my part to stop praying for OP's annihilation.
Posted By: schoolbus Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/26/09 11:54 PM
Pariah,

You're right. I really liked John Lennon's lyrics. The Best.

Imagine. Great song - there were other users here who had Beatles' names, too. Imagine is just added to that list....

SB
Posted By: Neak Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/27/09 02:06 AM
The advice of loving your enemies vs hating their sin isn't contradictory at all, if you study the Bible with an open heart, led by the Holy Spirit. When Jesus hung on the cross and prayed for forgiveness for His enemies, He never once tried to minimize what they were doing, or to say that it wasn't really that bad.

Hebrews 12 gives such a stirring instruction on how we should deal with all the troubles and trials of life, including ones where people have hurt us.

Hebrews 12
1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.

In other words, if our Master Himself endured such suffering at the hands of sinners, we can find the patience and strength to deal with the wrongs done to us by others, by looking to His example.

4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

5 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:

6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.

7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?

8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye [censored], and not sons.

Sometimes we get caught up in the chastisement of others, especially someone very close to us, like our spouse. Still, we can trust that God will only allow the things to happen to us that He can work for our best good, and for His glory.

AJ's adultery - the worst pain of my life - was a very harsh scourging. Yet God allowed it to purify me; to take away defects of character that were an obstacle to closeness with Him. He taught me to listen to Him, and to be patient when there was no visible hope. I am a child of the King, and more aware of that now than ever before.

9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

10 For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.

That bears repeating. Our trials, even those where loved ones wound us and shatter us to our very core, are permitted so that we can be partakers of Jesus' holiness. He places such a high value on purity and holiness that He gave up His own blood to preserve it in us.

11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

12 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees;

13 And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.

14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

15Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;

And here we come to the whole crux of the matter, as it relates to an OP. We are to be diligent lest any root of bitterness spring up within us.

So no matter what love, what righteous anger, what longing for the day of God's judgment to be poured out on the wicked for their cruelty, or any other seemingly conflicting emotions we may feel...

we are to be diligent that we do not become bitter.
Posted By: imagine Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/27/09 04:26 AM
Originally Posted by Neak
The advice of loving your enemies vs hating their sin isn't contradictory at all, if you study the Bible with an open heart, led by the Holy Spirit. When Jesus hung on the cross and prayed for forgiveness for His enemies, He never once tried to minimize what they were doing, or to say that it wasn't really that bad.

This is the two courses:

1. Rebuking the action of infidelity.
2. Providing an example for spiritual growth under extreme circumstances.

I am pleased that Kickme has come to a place of peace in his situation.
I pray that Greatwhitenorth would update.

Does anyone feel that by retaining this balance that waywards are contending directly with God?
Posted By: Neak Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/27/09 04:41 AM
What has your spiritual journey been like?

1 Peter 3:15
But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear...

One of many blessings I have gained from this experience is to have a ready witness - concrete ways God has changed my life and blessed me.

I'm always so interested to hear the witness of brothers and sisters of the faith.
Posted By: imagine Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/27/09 07:14 AM
What has your spiritual journey been like?

1 Peter 3:15
But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear...

One of many blessings I have gained from this experience is to have a ready witness - concrete ways God has changed my life and blessed me.

I'm always so interested to hear the witness of brothers and sisters of the faith.

I have been blessed to see God's miraculous answer to prayer. Answers that I could not envisage.

He has given me many talents. And restricted their use that I give Him glory.

There are things which happen to me which is personal and is very unlikely to change the heart of a unbeliever or even a believer who has not experienced God's private ministry.
Posted By: kickme Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/27/09 05:26 PM

I have pondered this question for some time now.

This is without a doubt the hardest journey of my life. Why?
I have stated on my threads that at one time in my life I was called by God to minister. I became disillusioned with the church and simply walked away. I was living my life under God's will in my mind but not with my heart.

As a Christian you know that God will allow us to make our own choices in our lives. However, when a person's choices conflict with God's will, He will guide you back to the path that pleases Him. When this happens, we can choose to surrender to His will or we can continue to be disobedient.

For me, the choice was very easy. You see, I KNEW that I was living a partial lie. I KNEW I was not allowing God to fully guide me. As much as it hurts to admit, I was unequally yoked with my WAW. I continued to walk with God throughout our M, but I never served God according to scripture. I was NOT the spiritial leader of my family. Simply impossible to serve the Lord if your own house is not in order.

I am human and I am not immune to the hurt and destruction that this A has caused. We were a happy family. This path that I was taking was not the path that God wanted me on. I keep saying that I have peace. These are not words, the peace is very REAL to me because I understand and ACCEPT that God has something in store for me that goes beyond anything I could imagine. That is His promise to me and to all that allow His presence in their lives.

As far as the question as to how to handle the OM....Neak has hit the mark with the scripture quoted. For me, I can only pray for my WAW and the OM. I earnestly pray that God will lead them to salvation IF and WHEN they repent.

People ask me all the time, how do you find the strength to endure all that you are going through?.....that ANYONE would ask this means that I am giving them my personal testimony through my actions. God smiles, I smile, and hopefully walking under God's complete will will make others smile. All God asks of us is to share His Word with others.....I don't really want to stand on a street corner preaching the Word.....but when a friend or better yet a family member or stranger ASK you "why are you so happy...or how are you handling your situation so well?".............you gotta know already how I respond....

Everything else just falls into place. I am AT PEACE!!
Posted By: Neak Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/27/09 07:04 PM
I have been blessed to see God's miraculous answer to prayer. Answers that I could not envisage.

He has given me many talents. And restricted their use that I give Him glory.

There are things which happen to me which is personal and is very unlikely to change the heart of a unbeliever or even a believer who has not experienced God's private ministry.

Thank you for sharing your hint of a testimony. wink Maybe someday you'll feel comfortable enough here to share more of how God has blessed you and changed your life.
Posted By: Neak Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/27/09 07:06 PM
Kickme - that was beautiful.

One of the most incredible things about God is how He works to bring us back into His will, even when from a human standpoint we've made a hopeless muddle of it all. Then, with Him in charge, it ends up working beautifully anyway.
Posted By: kickme Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/27/09 08:18 PM
Kickme - that was beautiful.

One of the most incredible things about God is how He works to bring us back into His will, even when from a human standpoint we've made a hopeless muddle of it all. Then, with Him in charge, it ends up working beautifully anyway.

Neak, I mean this with all sincerity, thanks for your comments and support.

Sorry, today I'm on my soap box. Been also thinking about this for some time.

We all wish there could be some special pill we could take that would allow the pain to fade or an injection we could give our WS that would bring them back home. Sadly, not yet.

BUT....using MB principals as a reference...someone posted to me awhile back that I should not be afraid of exposure because my M is DEAD. I thought at first that was a mean thing to say. After some serious thought I understood what was meant by that.

You see, right now, I challenge anyone reading this to understand that you have nothing to loose and PEACE to gain if you will simply find a quiet place and talk to God. Talk to him like He is your Dad. He already knows your thoughts so do not try to sugar coat a conversation with Him. TALK TO HIM.

Pray for His direction in your life, pray for peace in your life, pray for wisdom in your life...just pray, you have nothing to loose.

Posted By: imagine Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/27/09 10:07 PM
Kickme,

There is a lady called Hopenpray that experienced the same as you. Her husband has already remarried.

Possibly you could share with her. She needs God's peace.
Posted By: kickme Re: Christian: How do you handle an OM? - 02/27/09 10:17 PM
Kickme,

There is a lady called Hopenpray that experienced the same as you. Her husband has already remarried.

Possibly you could share with her. She needs God's peace.

Thank you for pointing that out to me.

Also, thank you for all your kind words.
© Marriage BuildersĀ® Forums