Marriage Builders
Posted By: roybatty The rise and fall of roybatty.... - 05/14/09 12:12 PM
Well, I just want to say that Marriage Builders concepts seem to work... I moved my wife from indifference to conflict to intimacy... problem is, I couldn't move myself out of conflict.

I left my wife two weeks ago and the divorce is underway. I hurt her pretty bad. I stuck the knife in her back. I realize that I have some serious character flaws that I have to deal with.

I couldn't forgive. I couldn't get over the obsession I had with her and the OM. I couldn't get over the many months of her deceptions.

There were a couple of times when we were in recovery that I faced some serious triggers... one time I went out for a smoke break with her at work... we were just starting to talk when she saw and flagged down a male co-worker of hers and called him over. They proceded to talk over me like I wasn't even there. I know that sounds silly... but it was enough for me to start shutting down. Anyway.. I started to search my soul and realized that she would probably never get it.

I firmly believe that she saw her affair as less egregious as me being a neglectful husband in the past... I know both were wrong... but I just had to see some kind of deep remorse from her. It never really came.

So I had to end it.

All I can say is... the best way to get over the obsession is to find someone new for yourself.

If the dog dies... get a new one.

Of course, that didn't fly to well with HER, but the marriage is over and we can both move on now.

signing out... roybatty.
Posted By: MyRevelation Re: The rise and fall of roybatty.... - 05/14/09 12:28 PM
rb,

I can't say that I'm surprised. As a fellow BH, I KNOW how hard this stuff is to deal with, even with a VERY solid M pre-A. By your own descriptions, your M had a level of dysfunction pre-A, so its not surprising that you couldn't "get over it", because there just wasn't that much worth saving.

Here's to a "BETTER FUTURE" ...
Posted By: Gack1 Re: The rise and fall of roybatty.... - 05/14/09 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by roybatty
All I can say is... the best way to get over the obsession is to find someone new for yourself.

Of course, that didn't fly to well with HER, but the marriage is over and we can both move on now.

Her d-day 4/22/2009
R.A.?

Posted By: serendipitous Re: The rise and fall of roybatty.... - 05/14/09 12:55 PM

signing out... roybatty.

Sorry it's come to this rb. I know the hurt and pain a BS feels but I think you should take some time out to recover from the trauma of the last few months before you even consider beginning a new relationship. You cannot possibly be ready to move on at this early stage. It takes time to grieve.

You're not D'd yet so the dog isn't dead. I'll give you that it's probably terminally ill, but it's not dead yet and I don't think it's fair to the old dog to be testing out new ones, never mind that the old dog bit you on the bum. It's also terribly unfair to bring a new dog into such a situation. As a side-note, not too sure I really like the dog analogy.

I hope you're not seeing anyone yet. You could get hurt all over again. You're still fragile, no matter how angry and "done" you feel.

I wish you all the best in your personal recovery.
Posted By: Gack1 Re: The rise and fall of roybatty.... - 05/14/09 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Gack1
R.A.?
Perhaps I am not being clear.

Per the quotes in post #3

It almost sounds like you engaged in a Retalitory Affair before you decided to divorce.

Is this accurate?
Posted By: Pepperband Re: The rise and fall of roybatty.... - 05/14/09 02:25 PM
we were just starting to talk when she saw and flagged down a male co-worker of hers and called him over. They proceded to talk over me like I wasn't even there. I know that sounds silly... but it was enough for me to start shutting down.

It soes NOT sound silly. Especially when one considers your timeline.

Very inconsiderate of her.
Posted By: turtlehead Re: The rise and fall of roybatty.... - 05/14/09 02:39 PM
Gack, FWIW I had the *exact* same thought.
And only four months post D-day.

"They" say you should wait six months after a major event before making any big decisions. I hate to see roybatty rushing into D and possibly due to his own A.
Posted By: iam Re: The rise and fall of roybatty.... - 05/14/09 03:20 PM
I think Roy means divorce announcement when he says 'her d-day'.
Posted By: Pepperband Re: The rise and fall of roybatty.... - 05/14/09 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by turtlehead
Gack, FWIW I had the *exact* same thought.
And only four months post D-day.

"They" say you should wait six months after a major event before making any big decisions. I hate to see roybatty rushing into D and possibly due to his own A.

I agree with you , however, I don't like to push any BS to stay in a M after adultery. I trust adults to know their limitations. But, like you said, the BS who rushes to D right away often regrets that decision a few years down the road, especially if there are kids involved and the WS was a decent spouse BEFORE the A.
Posted By: Gack1 Re: The rise and fall of roybatty.... - 05/14/09 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by iam
I think Roy means divorce announcement when he says 'her d-day'.

Perhaps, but the following makes me think otherwise.

Posted By: roybatty Re: The rise and fall of roybatty.... - 05/14/09 03:52 PM
I had my own affair. I had already made my mind up I was going to divorce her. I got out sooner than later... I knew this would end it for good.

I won't try to justify my actions in this forum. It's just the end to my story here.

Posted By: Mark1952 Re: The rise and fall of roybatty.... - 05/14/09 04:36 PM
I had my own affair. I had already made my mind up I was going to divorce her.

Did I hear a fog horn?

Mark
Posted By: lousygolfer Re: The rise and fall of roybatty.... - 05/14/09 04:39 PM
Is this a bit of flag-waving? Look at ME!

I had my own affair. I had already made my mind up I was going to divorce her. I got out sooner than later... I knew this would end it for good.

I won't try to justify my actions in this forum. It's just the end to my story here.

Sad really.

You had a shot Roy.

Didn't realize it was going to be a self-inflicted one.

LG
Posted By: Pepperband Re: The rise and fall of roybatty.... - 05/14/09 04:46 PM
I had my own affair.

You are an adulterer. Uncomfortable shoes to wear, but you chose to put them on. crazy
Posted By: princessmeggy Re: The rise and fall of roybatty.... - 05/14/09 04:47 PM

Well then, that just makes EVERYTHING hunky-dory. You're as messed up as your wife was/is. Write this down: you will regret this behavior in a few years.
Posted By: turtlehead Re: The rise and fall of roybatty.... - 05/14/09 04:48 PM
Ouch, Roy.

You've "coped" with stress, pain, and deception by having an affair. It does not bode well for any future relationships you choose to enter into. Now you have to heal your betrayed heart plus figure out how to regain your integrity. Your path will be long, I fear. Best of luck to you.
Wow Roy. You gave it all of ...... 4 months? When did your A actually start?

Clearly you did not believe anyone when they said it can take a loooooooong time for the WS fog to completely clear. You really did not give her enough time to conclude that what she had done was the worst of the worst. And you mention recovery but it does not sound as if you gave it enough time to start.

You certainly had the right to D after her A, but why couldn't you have just done THAT instead of taking the coward's way out by creating an exit affair? Very low. Does NOT bode well for your future. Or for your understanding of MB principles.

Forgive the DJ, but you sound very proud of yourself for having sucked your W back into intimacy and then twisting the knife in her back.

I am sad for both of you.
Posted By: iam Re: The rise and fall of roybatty.... - 05/14/09 05:17 PM

I don't condone the action but it's hard to blame the rape victim for striking back.

Good luck to you Roy.
Posted By: princessmeggy Re: The rise and fall of roybatty.... - 05/14/09 05:20 PM
If this were a woman posting the same thing, would your answer be the same?
Posted By: chrisner Re: The rise and fall of roybatty.... - 05/14/09 05:45 PM
"If either one of us strays again... the marriage will be over. That's just the reality of things." - Roybatty January 19th, 2009

Sounds like it always was the back-up plan.
Posted By: krusht Re: The rise and fall of roybatty.... - 05/14/09 06:31 PM
RoyB,

"I had my own affair."

Oh, now I get it "The rise and fall of roybatty"

And how is the little woman who made "your own affair" possible? Is she coping with life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

Are you two all warm and fuzzy now?

How delicate of you to bring another into your mix.

You should ask Dude007 about how one feels as time goes by.

Lets see if we can coax him over.

kirk
Posted By: Gack1 Re: The rise and fall of roybatty.... - 05/14/09 06:34 PM
I had my own affair.
Is you affair partner married?
Posted By: iam Re: The rise and fall of roybatty.... - 05/14/09 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by princessmeggy
If this were a woman posting the same thing, would your answer be the same?

Why do you ask?
© Marriage BuildersĀ® Forums