Marriage Builders
influenza virus that seems to be spreading in Mexico and the US?

I am. Or do you think that this is just another scare?
Yes, I am. 20 high school kids have just arrived back here from Mexico and lots of them are sick.
Tell them gee thanx ok Jen?

I DO NOT want to be sick for at least the next 4 months!
We need to fling the borders wide open so they can swarm here en mass!

It's been kept alarmingly quiet by the criminal left wing media.

I hope Pelosi gets it.
So far, the people outside of Mexico are not getting deathly sick. I wonder why? I was thinking maybe the regular flu shot might be helping.

I have my supplies all ready and stored - food, water, wine, etc.
Tamiflu is effective in treating it, but the press is downplaying the numbers as usual.

The illegal invaders will be panicking soon and will be making a run on our border for medical treatment.

The Pelosi plan is to treat them and leave us productive members of society to fend for ourselves.
I don't have a lot of faith in how fast the government will respond. If this turns into a pandemic, it is already beyond containment according to the CDC.

The illness wasn't indentified quick enough in Mexico.

The WHO says they are prepared to fight it, but they also claim the US and Mexico have enough meds to do it. Last I heard, Mexico has only a million doses of Tamiflu and there are 20 million people in Mexico city, plus it has spread to different states in Mexico.

And the US is still thinking about whether they need to produce vaccines, which take a couple of months to make.

Meanwhile, flights are still going out of Mexico City to other countries, and passengers are being looked at to see if they seem sick.

YIKES! I think everyone is on their own.
I work within literally seconds from the CDC here in Atlanta.

I'm so screwed.
They just announced that the students in NY have confirmed cases of the new flu. Seems some went to Cancun on spring break 2 weeks ago.

So the incubation period seems to be 2 weeks. Wonder what will happen 2 weeks from now?
Maybe you could run over there and ask them a few questions. Not too much new info on their web site.

Since all the fatalities seem to be from pneumonia, I wonder if getting a pneumonia shot would be helpful?
The CDC is locked down like Fort Knox.

You don't go near there.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30390176/?pg=6#SwineFlu_QA
ba - Good article. I read now that the incubation period is 24 to 48 hours. They have broken out the meds and have sent one quarter to the spots in the country where there is influenza - like San Diego county, where I live.

At least they are doing something.
*sigh*

I am supposed to be flying to San Francisco this week with my fiancee. TX to CA. More or less, out of the frying pan into another frying pan. I have a couple of boxes of Tamiflu at the house. I need to check the expiration dates though.
Tamiflu is supposed to be very good against this virus. Check the expiration dates.

There are lots of Americans going to Tijuana to buy it - no prescription needed at the pharmacies there. But I heard they have run out of it.
My brother is a doc (in another state though, so I can't get anything from him). I'll ask him if the expiration issue is really an issue. I seem to recall from my days working in a pharmacy when I was in HS that drugs don't really go bad like food. They just supposedly lose their potency. What kinds of drugs this affects and how much is open to debate.

Considering that some 40,000 people die each year from regular flu makes me think this "panic" is just a bit overblown. With oil prices depressed, the credit crisis winding down, and no hurricanes on the horizon, the Panic Press needs something else to focus on, IMO. Especially now with newspaper circulation at all time lows.
It's swine flu. It only affects men because we are pigs.
Seabird - Ask your brother if it would be worthwhile for people to get a pneumonia shot. I've been thinking about that since most of the people infected with the virus die of pneumonia.

Personally, I'm worried about it, but planning to take care of myself and my family.

I had an aunt who died from the flu 1n 1918. The estimates are that 100 million people worldwide died.
believer - I'll ask him, but I think that he will say no. There isn't just one kind of Pneumonia. Causes can be bacterial, viral, fungal, parasitic or idiopathic. A "Pneumonia shot" is really just a vaccination against any one of those specific infections. A Pneumonia shot for influenza is - you guessed it - a flu shot. And then what kind of flu is it? I had a flu shot last fall. I doubt that I am sufficiently inoculated against this swine flu variant that we're talking about it now.

I totally get your concern, believer. I'm a little worried too. Especially with two kids in school and our close proximity to Mexico and all the people down here that travel back and forth. Something to keep in mind though is that in 1918, we didn't have the sort of functional medicine distribution network and contingency planning that we do today. We have more people traveling with greater speed than we did then, so the potential to spread is greater. But so is our ability to communicate and treat it.
Originally Posted by Pariah
It's swine flu. It only affects men because we are pigs.

rotflmao
I guess this isn't the time to bring up mad cow? laugh
Originally Posted by Pariah
I guess this isn't the time to bring up mad cow? laugh

I wouldn't, you might get moooooooooore than you bargained for!

And I'm supposed to fly from TX to CA on Sunday. Wheee.
I guess my question now is this - the CDC and local gov is telling folks to stay home if they have flu symptoms, and not to expose others or swamp the medical facilities. However, the anti flu drugs must be given within 2 days. Hmmmm.

So if a person does the recommended thing and stays home, it will be too late for the drugs.

Or am I missing something?
Swine Flu Advice

I don't know what to believe about this illness.
Please everyone, don't panic! Over 30,000 people died this year from flu alone but you didn't see that making any headlines, did you?

The death toll in Mexico has been revised. It's now......7.
It's the flu; we'll get over it...

It isn't Ebola...

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Swine flu)
Jump to: navigation, search
Semi-protected
For the current outbreak of swine flu, see 2009 swine flu outbreak.
Swine influenza
Classification and external resources
Flu

* Influenza
* Virus
* Avian influenza
* Swine influenza
* Flu season
* Research
* Vaccine
* Treatment
* Genome project
* H5N1 strain
* H1N1 strain
* Pandemic

Swine influenza is endemic in pigs

Swine influenza (also swine flu, hog flu,[1] and pig flu[1]) refers to influenza caused by any strain of the influenza virus endemic in pigs (swine). Strains endemic in swine are called swine influenza virus (SIV).[1]

Of the three genera of human flu, two are endemic also in swine: Influenzavirus A is common and Influenzavirus C is rare.[2] Influenzavirus B has not been reported in swine. Within Influenzavirus A and Influenzavirus C, the strains endemic to swine and humans are largely distinct.

Swine flu is common in swine in the midwestern United States (and occasionally in other states), Mexico, Canada, South America, Europe (including the United Kingdom, Sweden, and Italy), Kenya, China, Japan, Taiwan, and other parts of eastern Asia.[1]

Swine flu is rare in humans. People who work with swine, especially people with intense exposures, are at risk of catching swine influenza if the swine carry a strain able to infect humans. However, these strains infrequently circulate between humans as SIV rarely mutates into a form able to pass easily from human to human. In humans, the symptoms of swine flu are similar to those of influenza and of influenza-like illness in general, namely chills, fever, sore throat, muscle pains, severe headache, coughing, weakness and general discomfort.

The 2009 flu outbreak in humans that is widely known as "swine flu" apparently is not due to a swine influenza virus. It is due to a new strain of influenza A virus subtype H1N1 that derives from one strain of human influenza virus, one strain of avian influenza virus, and two separate strains of swine influenza virus. The origins of this new strain are unknown, and the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) reports that this strain has not been isolated in swine.[3] It passes with apparent ease from human to human, an ability attributed to an as-yet unidentified mutation.[4] The strain in most cases causes only mild symptoms and the infected person makes a full recovery without requiring medical attention and without the use of antiviral medicines.[5]
I am soooooooooooooooooooooooo tired of this already.
Everyone with the sniffles wants to come in and get checked.

I ask:

How high is your fever?
If they ain't got one I say "STAY HOME"
You're probably more likely to be killed in a car wreck than to even catch the flu....any flu....not just this one....

If they don't have a catastrophy/dilemna to report, then the media giants can't charge their advertisers large fees. We may have this 'pandemic' so Rupert Murdoch or Ted Turner or someone can make some money selling newspaper or internet ads.

If you don't feel good, stay home.

Hey, what is the difference between an epidemic and a pandemic?
So I have avoided this thread because once I go into rant mode......

We have just got back from church and were greeted with a sign saying we must use hand sanitiser to even enter the room. I used it but went to the bathroom to wash it off (allergies) Then the pastors wife stood up and said how it was for our own protection and for us to continue these practices, AND THEN there was an article in the newsletter about washing hands after using the toilet and blowing our freaking noses (because of course, none of us actually know how to do that)
rant2 rant2 rant2

MOUNTAINS OUT OF MOLEHILLS!!!!!!!

There have been people checking every incoming flight for the last 2 weeks. People are being detained in hospital. People are being made to go into quarenteen. There have only been a dozen cases in all of NZ and they were all caught before getting out into the general public. There is NO WAY my fellow church member could have come into contact with the virus.

I CANT EVEN GO TO CHURCH WITHOUT OVER REACTING WELL MEANING SHEEPLE BANGING ON ABOUT THE LASTEST FAD!!!

Not to mention even if everyone sanitised, one cough and the germs are out. And I noticed the pastor did not sanitise his hands between shaking each individual on the way out skeptical

Don’t even get me started on the fair trade section of the sermon grumble
I worked in journalism and I'm a communications major. You have to question the media and how it presents it's information. Why is the information presented the way it is, who are the media sponsors, and what is the motivation for presenting the information in the format presented. When you have the answers - then you can ask - is the information presented "objective truth".

GG
Church tonight was the same as it always is. We shake hands at the sign of peace to our neighbor.
Every year 'normal' flu viruses kill many elderly and infirm people.

Flu viruses that kill young adults (20-50) *might* turn out to be serious pandemics- like the Spanish flu, which killed if I remember correctly 20 million.

Bird flu, SARS, Hong kong flu (late '60's) and Swine flu all killed healthy young adults.

All MIGHT have become serious pandemics - but they didn't.

Thing is though, one day, one of them WILL turn out to be serious. Nobody knows which virus or when.

But when one does, the same people who're now ridiculing health authorities and other people about panic and overreaction will be complaining that the authorities didn't do enough.

I think the best thing is to treat all potential pandemics as actual pandemics - until proven otherwise.

And that's what most countries' health systems, and the WHO, have done.

On an individual level, I think it's a good idea to be prepared for a lethal pandemic, and this means being equipped to stay at home for weeks or months and having stocks of antivirals, which seem ot have been effective agains the most recent pandemic candidates.
IMHO,

I think the media hysteria is just a distraction to cover up the things being done to our country which will really affect us.

Like Cat so aptly said...
"You're probably more likely to be killed in a car wreck than to even catch the flu....any flu....not just this one...."

© Marriage Builders® Forums