Marriage Builders
Posted By: Pariah Chix, I need insight for this - 11/30/09 08:49 PM
I had a co-worker that got killed back in March on his motorcycle.

His wife came in to collect his things and I couldn't bear to watch her in her griefstricken state. I had to leave.

Well, today we are putting up the company Christmas Tree and I find his ornament as we are tossing out the ornaments of the folks that got sent to the Island of Misfit Toys.

Would it be wrong for me to carefully box up his ornament and mail it to her?
Posted By: Bellevue Re: Chix, I need insight for this - 11/30/09 10:31 PM
If I were the widow, I would appreciate receiving such a thing in the mail. She might cry, but there's nothing wrong with that. It's a little bit of her husband returning to her for Christmas.
Posted By: Pariah Re: Chix, I need insight for this - 11/30/09 10:35 PM
What do I tell her?
Posted By: booka Re: Chix, I need insight for this - 11/30/09 10:41 PM
That you ran across the ornament and thought that she might like to have it, condolences, etc. Keep it short and simple.
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Chix, I need insight for this - 12/01/09 02:47 AM
Pariah, I agree with the others to give it to her. When you deliver it, don't be afraid of her grief. She would probably be touched if you told her something nice about her husband. If I were her, I would be so grateful to receive it.
Posted By: lousygolfer Re: Chix, I need insight for this - 12/01/09 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Pariah
What do I tell her?

"Tell her what you told us. Then tell her something that was important to YOU about her husband. (I enjoyed how *ed* could always fix the equipment, or was always comforting someone who did X.

Sorry about your loss. We miss him around here as well."

LG
Posted By: cinderella Re: Chix, I need insight for this - 12/02/09 10:05 PM
Pariah, if I were this woman, I would want someone to be so kind as to bring me the ornament and say something nice about my loved one. I would probably cry. And, I would appreciate their recognition of my loss and grief.

One of the things they (whoever 'they' are) say that the berieved need is recognition of their loss and a chance to talk about the person they loved.

Posted By: Pariah Re: Chix, I need insight for this - 12/03/09 01:23 PM
I sent the ornament with a note that simply read "We were putting up the company tree when we found Mike's ornament and thought it should belong on your tree for you and your daughter. Mike is sorely missed here and you have our deepest condolences."
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Chix, I need insight for this - 12/03/09 06:25 PM
Good job, Pariah. smile
Posted By: Mark1952 Re: Chix, I need insight for this - 12/03/09 08:27 PM
clap
Posted By: not2fun Re: Chix, I need insight for this - 12/03/09 10:24 PM
that was sweet Pariah.....a very classy and touching move....

not2fun
Posted By: Pariah Re: Chix, I need insight for this - 12/04/09 12:21 AM
Mike didn't deserve what happened to him. He laid in a coma for three months while his wife and daughter hoped he would wake up.

Posted By: cinderella Re: Chix, I need insight for this - 12/04/09 04:06 PM
Pariah, I am sorry that your company lost Mike. I am sorry his family lost him.

However, your kindness will be appreciated by them for many years. You did a kind and honorable thing.
© Marriage BuildersĀ® Forums