Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
Pariah Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I had a co-worker that got killed back in March on his motorcycle.

His wife came in to collect his things and I couldn't bear to watch her in her griefstricken state. I had to leave.

Well, today we are putting up the company Christmas Tree and I find his ornament as we are tossing out the ornaments of the folks that got sent to the Island of Misfit Toys.

Would it be wrong for me to carefully box up his ornament and mail it to her?

I watch, and am as a sparrow alone upon the house top.
B
B
If I were the widow, I would appreciate receiving such a thing in the mail. She might cry, but there's nothing wrong with that. It's a little bit of her husband returning to her for Christmas.

Belle, Domestic Goddess
P
Pariah Offline OP
OP Offline
P
What do I tell her?

B
B
That you ran across the ornament and thought that she might like to have it, condolences, etc. Keep it short and simple.

Me: 48 XW: 44 DD: 15
Lived Together: 7 Married: 18 Total: 25 years
W announced divorce 11-3-2006, I moved out 11-7-2006, served papers 11-8-2006. Divorce final 12-19-2006. Life gets better every day.
M
M
Pariah, I agree with the others to give it to her. When you deliver it, don't be afraid of her grief. She would probably be touched if you told her something nice about her husband. If I were her, I would be so grateful to receive it.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
L
Originally Posted by Pariah
What do I tell her?

"Tell her what you told us. Then tell her something that was important to YOU about her husband. (I enjoyed how *ed* could always fix the equipment, or was always comforting someone who did X.

Sorry about your loss. We miss him around here as well."

LG

C
C
Pariah, if I were this woman, I would want someone to be so kind as to bring me the ornament and say something nice about my loved one. I would probably cry. And, I would appreciate their recognition of my loss and grief.

One of the things they (whoever 'they' are) say that the berieved need is recognition of their loss and a chance to talk about the person they loved.

P
Pariah Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I sent the ornament with a note that simply read "We were putting up the company tree when we found Mike's ornament and thought it should belong on your tree for you and your daughter. Mike is sorely missed here and you have our deepest condolences."

M
M
Good job, Pariah. smile

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
clap

N
N
that was sweet Pariah.....a very classy and touching move....

not2fun

P
Pariah Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Mike didn't deserve what happened to him. He laid in a coma for three months while his wife and daughter hoped he would wake up.

C
C
Pariah, I am sorry that your company lost Mike. I am sorry his family lost him.

However, your kindness will be appreciated by them for many years. You did a kind and honorable thing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation