Marriage Builders
Posted By: kilted_thrower What is middle aged? - 09/02/13 08:00 PM
On another thread, I read people saying that 51 years old is not middle aged. I'm assuming they are saying a person at 51 isn't old enough to be middle aged?

So what's middle aged?

I'm 36 and I consider myself almost middle aged. I don't consist myself old at all or feel old. If the average life span of a man is 75-85, then around 40 would be middle aged.

Then again maybe I'm in a labor day BBQ stupor big enough to rival the state of Texas and aquanet hair and over thinking this.

Posted By: LongWayFromHome Re: What is middle aged? - 09/02/13 08:11 PM
I used to consider the decade of the sixties to be "middle-aged." Seemed about right. Matched up with my idea of what it would look like: pudgy, gray, wrinkled - the stereo-type.

But that seems to imply death around 120 years of age.

I'm 54, and I guess that makes me middle-aged, considering I probably won't live till 100 years old. I just had to stop thinking in terms of stereo-types.

Like you, I certainly don't (usually) feel middle-aged. Still have tons of energy, active, in shape. But underneath this brown hair is gray crybaby and I do have a few crows feet around the eyes.

And.....is THAT my neck??? faint

Oh, well.... smile
Posted By: Logans_Run Re: What is middle aged? - 09/02/13 08:24 PM
I have not a clue what middle aged is as I am inching ever so close to the 50 year mark.

Lately I have notice I am getting younger. Natural highlights have appeared, so have freckles on my hands, and just the other day I noticed my arms are getting shorter as I was reading.

There is no middle aged.
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: What is middle aged? - 09/02/13 08:45 PM
"Middle aged" to me implies in the middle of my life. So unless you have genes like MINE, you are not "middle aged" at 51!! My grandmother is 99 and is still pretty healthy, so I suspect that age 50 was her middle age.

I cringe whenever I see someone talk about "mid life" crisis because it is so irrational. It makes no sense to me. I think Harley is correct when he calls it a form of denial.
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: What is middle aged? - 09/02/13 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by kilted_thrower
Then again maybe I'm in a labor day BBQ stupor big enough to rival the state of Texas and aquanet hair and over thinking this.

grin
Posted By: markos Re: What is middle aged? - 09/02/13 10:37 PM
I'm 36 and I consider myself almost middle aged.

I'm 35 and nowhere near it!
Posted By: mrEureka Re: What is middle aged? - 09/02/13 10:51 PM
Question: What is middle aged?

Answer: Early 40's

That was an easy one! NEXT ...
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: What is middle aged? - 09/02/13 11:11 PM
For the life of me I have never been able to understand the meaning of "mid life crisis." The users of this syndrome seem to use it to excuse bad behavior of those in the 30-50 age range even though the same behavior is demonstrated by 20 and 60 yr olds. I don't know why!!!
Posted By: LongWayFromHome Re: What is middle aged? - 09/02/13 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
For the life of me I have never been able to understand the meaning of "mid life crisis." The users of this syndrome seem to use it to excuse bad behavior of those in the 30-50 age range even though the same behavior is demonstrated by 20 and 60 yr olds. I don't know why!!!

MLC is a great excuse to do something really idiotic. Next time I want to do something idiotic, that's the excuse I'm going to use!

...oh...oops, that's right, the POJA will keep me in line...
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: What is middle aged? - 09/02/13 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by LongWayFromHome
MLC is a great excuse to do something really idiotic. Next time I want to do something idiotic, that's the excuse I'm going to use!

...oh...oops, that's right, the POJA will keep me in line...

POJA ruined all your fun, huh?? grin

What amazes me is that it is usually the SPOUSE who says there is a mid life crisis. The only thing I can figure out is that they believe it is an actual syndrome and therefore they shouldn't do anything about it. I just don't understand the logic behind their thinking. It makes no sense to me. crazy
Posted By: NeverGuessed Re: What is middle aged? - 09/03/13 12:02 AM
I just don't understand the logic behind their thinking. It makes no sense to me.

I gotta move to the mid-West. Evidently, the innocence and wonder that is associated with childhood extends until....how old did you actually say you were, Mel?

The Noo Yawk cynic knows that MLC is a bogeyman created to isolate or remove the actual blame from the perpetrator. It was not hubby that couldn't keep his zip zipped; it was the mid-life-crisis that overwhelmed him!

Modern humans do this all the time:

- Government is too BIG and EXPENSIVE, but I deserve my check every month!
- Americans eat the worst, unhealthiest, diet in the world! Now I'll have that 32-oz Porterhouse!
- I don't overuse hydrocarbons, ruining the Earth, they just get used! Now where did I park my Tundra?
- Thousands of morons did not fraudulently apply for mortgages that they were destined to default on, the evil financial institutions made them do it!

The cool thing about this discussion is that I'd have to project that at almost 61, I'm past "middle" age. It'll be a race between my demise and that of civilization, one that I can expect to barely "win"!
Posted By: maritalbliss Re: What is middle aged? - 09/03/13 12:08 AM
On another thread, I read people saying that 51 years old is not middle aged. I'm assuming they are saying a person at 51 isn't old enough to be middle aged?

So what's middle aged?

I'm 36 and I consider myself almost middle aged. I don't consist myself old at all or feel old. If the average life span of a man is 75-85, then around 40 would be middle aged.

kilted, I'm 55 years old and have met so many adults who are younger than me - and ACT so much older!

I just finished a 5K and totally owned the age group below me. So I'm not too intested in defining myself according to my age. smile

I just don't consider that age is that important - ATTITUDE is.
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: What is middle aged? - 09/03/13 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
The Noo Yawk cynic knows that MLC is a bogeyman created to isolate or remove the actual blame from the perpetrator. It was not hubby that couldn't keep his zip zipped; it was the mid-life-crisis that overwhelmed him!

Believe me, I understand this. What I don't understand is how anyone can fall for that nonsense!
Posted By: NeverGuessed Re: What is middle aged? - 09/03/13 01:02 AM
What I don't understand is how anyone can fall for that nonsense!

People "fall" for this because in all cases it is more comforting to yield responsibility to that big bogeyman (Fr: la force majeure) than to be forced to address the idea of personal liability for the negative result. While "comforting", of course, the self-deception is absolutely self-defeating, on the macro scale, if not on the personal basis!

No one, it seems, can accept the idea of starting to correct the (universal) failures by (individual) remedies, one declined Porterhouse at a time!

And ruthless, rigorous third-parties (sound like anyone here? MrRollieEyes) are roundly criticized for pointing out the contributions of thousands of flawed choices to the summary problems, and eventually are silenced, by acclimation or their own disgust. The remaining apologists can then continue espousing their nonsenses: MLC, "predatory" lenders, etc, etc, which, in their continued, unchallenged existence, become "common knowledge".
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: What is middle aged? - 09/03/13 01:22 AM
So agree. It is so much easier to believe propaganda than think independently. Very much along the lines of politically correct "nutrition." So much easier to believe cultural nonsense, one demonized egg at a time, than take the time to do some research. think
Posted By: kilted_thrower Re: What is middle aged? - 09/03/13 03:10 AM
Originally Posted by markos
I'm 36 and I consider myself almost middle aged.

I'm 35 and nowhere near it!

If you pass away at 70, will you admit you were wrong?
Posted By: kilted_thrower Re: What is middle aged? - 09/03/13 03:12 AM
So agree. It is so much easier to believe propaganda than think independently. Very much along the lines of politically correct "nutrition." So much easier to believe cultural nonsense, one demonized egg at a time, than take the time to do some research. think

Don't you know if you eat more than 1 egg a week your blood pressure will be so high you will most assuredly die immediately?
Posted By: kilted_thrower Re: What is middle aged? - 09/03/13 03:18 AM
Originally Posted by maritalbliss

So what's middle aged?

kilted, I'm 55 years old and have met so many adults who are younger than me - and ACT so much older!

I just finished a 5K and totally owned the age group below me. So I'm not too intested in defining myself according to my age. smile

I just don't consider that age is that important - ATTITUDE is.

You should meet my mother in law. She's 55, and according to her so old that she's practically helpless due to her old age. I just have to shake my head.
Posted By: kilted_thrower Re: What is middle aged? - 09/03/13 03:20 AM
Would it be okay to buy a motorcycle and blame it on a mid life crisis and be exempt from POJA?
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: What is middle aged? - 09/03/13 03:22 AM

Don't you know if you eat more than 1 egg a week your blood pressure will be so high you will most assuredly die immediately?

I thought my heart was supposed to explode?? cry
Posted By: mrEureka Re: What is middle aged? - 09/03/13 10:40 AM
Eggs fell victim to the inability of doctors to distinguish between serum cholesterol and dietary cholesterol. If the two were the same, then one would expect by extension that insulin could be taken orally instead of injected. In the 1920's, that was exactly what they tried to do.
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: What is middle aged? - 09/03/13 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by mrEureka
Eggs fell victim to the inability of doctors to distinguish between serum cholesterol and dietary cholesterol. If the two were the same, then one would expect by extension that insulin could be taken orally instead of injected. In the 1920's, that was exactly what they tried to do.

I guess we should be grateful they didn't apply the same principle to breast milk for the sake of babies. crazy you know, all those babies that are dropping dead from drinking cholesterol?
Posted By: NeverGuessed Re: What is middle aged? - 09/03/13 12:31 PM
Would it be okay to buy a motorcycle and blame it on a mid life crisis and be exempt from POJA?

Negotiation, dude!

"Sweetie, I feel my MLC blossoming! Shall I satisfy it with ex-cheerleader Carley [Linked Image from planetsmilies.com], or a supercharged Harley [Linked Image from planetsmilies.com] ?"
Posted By: Enlightened_Ex Re: What is middle aged? - 09/05/13 04:52 PM
I'm in denial, I'm now counting my years in hexadecimal, which puts me in my 30's.
Posted By: writer1 Re: What is middle aged? - 09/05/13 04:59 PM
I believe middle age will always be about five years older than whatever age I currently am.
Posted By: kilted_thrower Re: What is middle aged? - 09/06/13 01:39 AM
I guess we should be grateful they didn't apply the same principle to breast milk for the sake of babies. crazy you know, all those babies that are dropping dead from drinking cholesterol?

Mmmmm...cholesterol. I think I'll make bacon.
Posted By: kilted_thrower Re: What is middle aged? - 09/06/13 01:40 AM
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed

Negotiation, dude!

"Sweetie, I feel my MLC blossoming! Shall I satisfy it with ex-cheerleader Carley [Linked Image from planetsmilies.com], or a supercharged Harley [Linked Image from planetsmilies.com] ?"

Perfect! How could this not go over smoothly?!
Posted By: NeverGuessed Re: What is middle aged? - 09/06/13 01:57 AM
Perfect! How could this not go over smoothly?!

If SHE decides she wants "Carley"!
lashes lashes
Posted By: Mrs_Recon6mo Re: What is middle aged? - 09/11/13 10:32 AM
I read from somewhere that around their 40s, people feel most unhappy, because they must deal with unruly teenagers and aging parents at the same time.

I am 39, and maybe I have a year to turn this around, but in reality I have it exactly vice versa - unruly parents and aging teenagers. No one has ever written anything about that cry I feel deceived.

Posted By: living_well Re: What is middle aged? - 09/11/13 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Mrs_Recon6mo
I am 39, and maybe I have a year to turn this around, but in reality I have it exactly vice versa - unruly parents and aging teenagers. No one has ever written anything about that cry I feel deceived.

Pack up the aging teenagers and send them to stay with the unruly parents. That will wipe the smiles off their faces.
Posted By: Mrs_Recon6mo Re: What is middle aged? - 09/11/13 12:21 PM
It's the unruly parents who would need disciplining not aging teens who are angels comparing to misbehaving parents.
Posted By: living_well Re: What is middle aged? - 09/11/13 01:32 PM
Of course

Another Unruly Parent
Posted By: mozilla Re: What is middle aged? - 09/12/13 12:22 PM
You know on those bell curves how the middle is the peak? I think middle aged means we are at our peak. I am middle aged now so I am at my peak.

When I am sixty I will change the peak smile
Posted By: catwhit Re: What is middle aged? - 09/12/13 04:52 PM
I just heard on NPR that demographers say the baby has already been born who will live to 200 years of age.

Our lifespan is increasing; the middle age bracket is moving up, too.
Posted By: karmasrose Re: What is middle aged? - 09/14/13 03:28 AM
Why would anyone want to live to 200, anyway...?

I guess I ask this for the same reason I ask why anyone would want to be immortal.
Posted By: NeverGuessed Re: What is middle aged? - 09/14/13 02:01 PM
Another Unruly Parent

Thursday night Bride and I were discussing my ongoing "coolness" toward AAPMC, when she joshed that AAPMC (daughter, health professional, living in hometown) would likely, if it comes to that, "be the one who selects the nursing home!"

I haven't slept since!
Posted By: kilted_thrower Re: What is middle aged? - 09/15/13 02:16 AM
Originally Posted by karmasrose
Why would anyone want to live to 200, anyway...?

I guess I ask this for the same reason I ask why anyone would want to be immortal.

So you can run around with a sword, chopping off heads, and absorbing the quickening.
Posted By: princessmeggy Re: What is middle aged? - 09/17/13 06:01 AM
Warning: tongue in cheek, I'm not REALLY this cynical, I've just temporarily lost my mind. Lol

200?!?! Ugh! No way! I don't even want to live to 100, not the way our bodies these days are progressing, or rather regressing, with all the preservatives we have eaten in our life time. My 9 year old granddaughter already looks like she's 12 and I'd be willing to bet it has everything to do with the food she eats. I had to take her bra shopping the other day. Nine!

Sorry for the OT ramble. Back on topic, to me, middle age is when you finally get some "sense" about life and have figured out who you really are and aren't ashamed to say so, or to stand for what you believe. My problem, with the chaos that my husband's death brought, I'm mentally and emotionally back to that 18 year old girl stuck in this 50+ body.

I'm really pissed too. There are things happening that NO ONE ever warned me about, like it's this BIG secret kept by the aged, and they get all kinds of fits and giggles watching it happen to us unsuspecting middle-agers. Kind of like when we were younger and told, "Oh! You really SHOULD have kids," by the secret mommy's society.

Since I'm single now (I really hate that word!) some single girlfriends have asked if I want to get together for drinks, etc. I have no problem with that providing its a place where I wouldnt be surrounded by people my children's age, intelligent conversation is available, and a sound level less than ear-splitting.

I heard of one woman in this little group, who is still married by the way, who seeks out men on the Internet for a little romp in the hay fairly often because she claims she lives in a SSM. She's got this whole second secret life. That's disgusting at any age, but especially for a woman of her age. Shoot me if I ever get that desperate/pathetic.

Sometimes I think of reinventing myself, heck I've already lost 30+ grief pounds and I'm back to pre--marriage size. But knowing what I know now,do I really want the drama and nerves it takes to put myself out there again? Another tiny problem, is that I still love my husband very much, even though he's gone. And what about death? If I were to remarry, one of us would have to go first. I don't want to EVER live that out again. I think I have PTSD as it is.

Middle aged single women get the shaft IMO. Oh there's plenty of men/women out there who tell me age is just a number. Who are they kidding? Guess I should start a topic in the dating thread, specifically for women over 50.

I know,I know, off topic again. That's what happens when you reach middle age. Or so I'm told. Lol!
Posted By: alis Re: What is middle aged? - 09/17/13 05:27 PM
I'm 30 and feel old due to two little kids running me ragged. I can't wait to grow up and sleep through the night, then I will be like my 60 year old neighbour who runs 10k every morning!
Posted By: awsdaughter Re: What is middle aged? - 09/20/13 02:04 PM
What is middle aged?

Mum, Dad on some date time, soft low music, so they an actually talk to each other, over a meal

at home

as its too noisy in the city,

apparently

now THATS middle aged rotflmao

grin

Posted By: TheRoad Re: What is middle aged? - 09/20/13 11:34 PM
Old enough to be a parent.
Not old enough to be a grandparent.
Posted By: writer1 Re: What is middle aged? - 09/21/13 04:11 AM
Originally Posted by TheRoad
Old enough to be a parent.
Not old enough to be a grandparent.

I was a parent at 18. I wouldn't consider that middle aged.
Posted By: karmasrose Re: What is middle aged? - 09/22/13 04:48 AM
I think what TheRoad meant was, you're old enough to have kids who are maybe teens or a little older, but you aren't a grandparent yet.
Posted By: writer1 Re: What is middle aged? - 09/22/13 05:56 AM
I think what TheRoad meant was, you're old enough to have kids who are maybe teens or a little older, but you aren't a grandparent yet.

Probably, though I think many people become grandparents when they are middle aged. My mother was a grandparent in her mid-40's. My oldest son is 24 now and I'm 42, so I'll probably be a middle-aged grandparent as well.
Posted By: HoldHerHand Re: What is middle aged? - 09/22/13 06:24 AM
Middle age is that difficult period between juvenile delinquency and senior citizenship when a fellow doesn't know which generation to complain about.

Middle age is when work is a lot less fun - and fun a lot more work.

Middle age is when your wife gives up sex for Lent, and you don't know till the 4th of July.

Middle age is when broadness of the mind and narrowness of the waist change places.

Posted By: TheRoad Re: What is middle aged? - 09/22/13 01:56 PM

Thank you. laugh

I made a general response. Many people have kids in their late 30's and up so they can be middle aged and still have kids that are in grade school.

Yes teenagers can get pregnant and some do when they are still teenagers. Know one would call them middle aged

There is no exact age for being middle aged. Becoming a parent when a minor or becoming a parent when old enough to collect social security will not make them middle aged.

Another way to define middle age is that people that are under 30 are young. At 29 people can still say they are in their 20's. Once they hit the big 30 they are not young any more. At 30 time to be mature, responsible, productive adults. Because a 50 year old acts like a 20 year old it does not make him young. People of 60 are old. The span in between the middle group of years, the 30 to 59 year olds are middle aged.

Though as you can see those that live to be only 62 their last third of their life defined by a title was not truly one third of their life.

Also when people wish they could start their life back over they say if I could be in my 20's again with what I know now. Notice people do not use the age of 30's or above in that phrase. So another way to support that middle age starts at 30. And they say that phrase once they hit 60 because their retirement plans and or state of health are no where near what they will need to get them through the last third of their life no matter how many years past 60 maybe left.

It can be suggested middle age is a state of mind. No one past 60 is middle aged no matter what they think, do, say, act, or even if they still, simply look marvelous.

Posted By: writer1 Re: What is middle aged? - 09/22/13 03:10 PM
Here is the best answer I was able to find:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_age
Posted By: mozilla Re: What is middle aged? - 09/23/13 10:05 AM
I think of the word middle...or the concept of halfway.

If I live to be 90, then 45 is the middle.

Then again I have spent a lot of time with small children so I tend to be literal.
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: What is middle aged? - 09/23/13 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by mozilla

Then again I have spent a lot of time with small children so I tend to be literal.

I am with you, Mozilla! That is how I have always viewed middle age.
Posted By: writer1 Re: What is middle aged? - 09/23/13 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by mozilla

Technically, I think this is true. The only problem with it is, we have no idea how long we're going to live. So we won't really know what our individual "middle age" was until after the fact.

But in general, I think the 40's to mid-50's would cover it for most people.
© Marriage BuildersĀ® Forums