Marriage Builders
Posted By: KeepLearning Are there more than 10 emotional needs? - 11/09/12 09:41 PM
In a post on another thread, I excerpted the following from the instructions for ranking needs in Dr. Harley's Emotional Needs Questionnaire:

The ten basic emotional needs are listed below. There is also space for you to add other emotional needs that you feel are essential to your marital happiness, but are not included in the list.
The fact that Dr. Harley allows for additional needs to be listed makes me wonder what are some examples of those other needs.

In a later post to the above thread, Optimism writes:

Originally Posted by optimism
If you read the EN questionnaires ..., Dr. H suggests that there is room for making up your own EN(s). However, I don't know why as the ones he starts with seem to me to fit the entire spectrum.

I'm curious, has anyone filled out the ENQ and come up with needs other than the 10 on Dr. Harley's list?
Originally Posted by KeepLearning
I'm curious, has anyone filled out the ENQ and come up with needs other than the 10 on Dr. Harley's list?

Yes, shopping! [Linked Image from smileys.smileycentral.com]
Posted By: markos Re: Are there more than 10 emotional needs? - 11/10/12 01:12 AM
Yes, but in general, Dr. Harley says to focus on the ones he has identified, as most needs fit in these "categories," and some needs are not things people can be easily trained to meet (an example he gives is an emotional need for ambition). And of course he says the main thing to emphasize is the four intimate emotional needs.

We've had some threads on this before and I've posted a couple of radio shows and transcripts, but I'd be a little hard pressed to find them at the moment.
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

Yes, shopping!

Mel you take this stuff so seriously :-)

Yes, shopping! [Linked Image from smileys.smileycentral.com]

And eating
Originally Posted by living_well

Yes, shopping!

Mel you take this stuff so seriously :-)

I am a serious shopper!! laugh
Posted By: CWMI Re: Are there more than 10 emotional needs? - 11/10/12 04:29 AM
Mel, that is as flip as claiming gambling or drinking as an EN. Why would you say that?
Originally Posted by CWMI
Mel, that is as flip as claiming gambling or drinking as an EN. Why would you say that?

Hey, I love to shop!

Hey, I love to shop!

Shopping is RC, surely. And ambition I would class under FS.

How long has that quote of mine been in your sig Mel? So flattering!!!
Originally Posted by indiegirl

Hey, I love to shop!

Shopping is RC, surely. And ambition I would class under FS.

How long has that quote of mine been in your sig Mel? So flattering!!!

A couple of days. That is the best quote of the year!! smile
© Marriage BuildersĀ® Forums