Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#243206 01/26/04 09:41 PM
N
OP Offline
N
My hubby and I have the same confrontation nearly evry night. Right at bedtime, our 3 kids and our dog get silly, making lots of demands for attention, and things get alittle chaotic. My husband of 3 months ends up getting very tense and spastic. In his former life, everything was neat, clean, quiet, perfectly controlled. But, he married us knowing what life with kids, dogs, and a wife who works full time is like. I understand why that this is the source of his tension, but I immediately bristle, and we end up angry, tense with each other, and not speaking. This happens 5 out of 7 nights/week. How do I not react to his tension? I know this makes him worse, but it's an automatic response for me.

#243207 01/26/04 10:02 PM
K
K
New,

Here's an idea. Try something different. If you have the same fight night after night. Change your response, he'll have to change his too. Don't rely on your autopilot, choose your attitude.

There is a great book that I read on this subject called "The Dance of Anger: A Woman's Guide to Changing the Patterns of Intimate Relationships". I found it to be really enlightening.

#243208 01/26/04 11:35 PM
H
H

<small>[ March 16, 2004, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: hanora ]</small>

#243209 01/27/04 07:26 AM
L
L
NBA,

You said 5 out of 7 nights you are fighting, so what are you doing on the 2 differently? Maybe you could do that all 7 nights, unless of course they are not there on those 2 nights, then you can just disregard this.

#243210 01/27/04 07:57 AM
E
E
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by newbrideagain:
<strong> My hubby and I have the same confrontation nearly evry night. Right at bedtime, our 3 kids and our dog get silly, making lots of demands for attention, and things get alittle chaotic. My husband of 3 months ends up getting very tense and spastic. In his former life, everything was neat, clean, quiet, perfectly controlled. But, he married us knowing what life with kids, dogs, and a wife who works full time is like. I understand why that this is the source of his tension, but I immediately bristle, and we end up angry, tense with each other, and not speaking. This happens 5 out of 7 nights/week. How do I not react to his tension? I know this makes him worse, but it's an automatic response for me. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Children respond very well to routine. You and your H need to brainstorm ideas for a bedtime routine that will help each child get some last minute attention. Maybe he can take the dog for a walk during part of the time to relieve his tension and give the dog some attention, too. Even if you don't come up with a perfect solution, working on a plan with him will assure him you take his concerns seriously and will give him reason to pay attention to each of the kids and what works well with them.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,352 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation