Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
malina Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello,

I am new to this forum. It seems a bit strange to share my life on the internet, but this seems like a nice forum and I hope you can give me some advice smile

I think I should give you some background information about my situation. So I got divorced earlier this year. I am 30 and was married for almost 10 years. The situation was very complicated and turbulent. I am originally from Bosnia. I'm not sure how much you know about my country but there was a terrible civil war there in the 90s. I was a teenager at the time and experienced the whole thing. There was mainly fighting between the different religious/ethnic groups in the country.

Well, I met my husband in high school and he is from a different religion to mine. So of course, this was always going to be a problem. Both of our families were against us being together and put a lot of pressure on us to break up. I think because I'm female, my family was especially against it. At the time we were young and quite naive. We loved each other a lot and believed we could make it work in spite of our families, so we got married. A few years later we actually left the country and moved to America together. The time we spent together was very turbulent, lots of ups and downs, terrible fighting. In our good moments we wanted children but decided to wait until things settled down before we actually started a family. After 10 years, I was getting to 30 and I realized that things would NEVER settle down. I loved him so much but I felt that I deserved to have a happier life and a family, so we split up.

Now, to bring us to the present time. I work as a medical interpreter. So basically I go with patients to appointments and translate. I've been going with a patient regularly to see a psychiatrist and Monday was her last appointment with him. After the appointment, I got an email from the doctor asking me if I would be interested in going out for dinner or drinks later this week. I never really noticed him to be honest, but his email was quite sweet so I agreed.

Well, now I'm REALLY nervous and kind of regret agreeing to go. My ex husband is the only man I've ever been with and the idea of even going out with somebody new is really frightening. I've just been so unhappy for many years now and it's a bit difficult to imagine myself acting happy/flirtatious with another man. Plus, I just realized this, I've never really been on a date before. This probably sounds crazy, but I met my husband when we were teenagers so we just became friends and then fell in love...

I could really use some advice. I don't have too many friends to talk to about this because everyone I know also knows my ex husband and I don't want this to get back to him. I asked my sister for advice but she is driving me crazy, so I started googling in hope of some answers. Any advice is appreciated, thank you very much smile

J
J
First, Dr Harley would probably advise you to end all contact with ex husband

J
J
Hi Malina!

The only advice I can give you is to listen to your gut. Are you simply nervous about dating again? Is there something about him that is making you feel uncomfortable?

Your first impression of a man is usually the correct one. Trust your instincts, and you will be just fine.

The times I've listened to my inner voice, I was glad. The times I tried to talk myself out of listening to my gut, and took a friend's advice, I regretted it. You seem a little nervous and only you can determine why - and what this means you should do.

Oh...and it's always easier to break things earlier than later (just dating in general). It seemed cold-hearted to me at first, but now I realize it is more compassionate to be honest up front.

Good luck, dear! Z

"When you love someone, all your saved up wishes start coming out."
Elizabeth Bowen

(Changed my profile name, as it was appearing in Google searches. Yikes!)
L
L
Welcome to MB and you are in a good place. It is strange that the most important decision we ever make (choosing our life's companion) is the one where we get least guidance and support from our families. That is especially true for someone who marries young without the support of their family.

The things you will learn here will help you with that as they have helped all of us.

Originally Posted by malina
After 10 years, I was getting to 30 and I realized that things would NEVER settle down. I loved him so much but I felt that I deserved to have a happier life and a family, so we split up

Can you elaborate on this? What was the problem?

My ex husband is the only man I've ever been with and the idea of even going out with somebody new is really frightening. I've just been so unhappy for many years now and it's a bit difficult to imagine myself acting happy/flirtatious with another man. Plus, I just realized this, I've never really been on a date before. This probably sounds crazy, but I met my husband when we were teenagers so we just became friends and then fell in love...

Dating is very much part of the selection process. Dr Harley says we should date 30 people to find the one that best meets our emotional needs. Lots of cultures don't 'do' dating (mine did not) but you are in the US now and dating is very normal.

Do you have any of the Harley books?

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
M
M
Hello,

I am new to this forum. It seems a bit strange to share my life on the internet, but this seems like a nice forum and I hope you can give me some advice smile

I think I should give you some background information about my situation. So I got divorced earlier this year. I am 30 and was married for almost 10 years. The situation was very complicated and turbulent. I am originally from Bosnia. I'm not sure how much you know about my country but there was a terrible civil war there in the 90s. I was a teenager at the time and experienced the whole thing. There was mainly fighting between the different religious/ethnic groups in the country.

Well, I met my husband in high school and he is from a different religion to mine. So of course, this was always going to be a problem. Both of our families were against us being together and put a lot of pressure on us to break up. I think because I'm female, my family was especially against it. At the time we were young and quite naive. We loved each other a lot and believed we could make it work in spite of our families, so we got married. A few years later we actually left the country and moved to America together. The time we spent together was very turbulent, lots of ups and downs, terrible fighting. In our good moments we wanted children but decided to wait until things settled down before we actually started a family. After 10 years, I was getting to 30 and I realized that things would NEVER settle down. I loved him so much but I felt that I deserved to have a happier life and a family, so we split up.

Now, to bring us to the present time. I work as a medical interpreter. So basically I go with patients to appointments and translate. I've been going with a patient regularly to see a psychiatrist and Monday was her last appointment with him. After the appointment, I got an email from the doctor asking me if I would be interested in going out for dinner or drinks later this week. I never really noticed him to be honest, but his email was quite sweet so I agreed.

Well, now I'm REALLY nervous and kind of regret agreeing to go. My ex husband is the only man I've ever been with and the idea of even going out with somebody new is really frightening. I've just been so unhappy for many years now and it's a bit difficult to imagine myself acting happy/flirtatious with another man. Plus, I just realized this, I've never really been on a date before. This probably sounds crazy, but I met my husband when we were teenagers so we just became friends and then fell in love...

I could really use some advice. I don't have too many friends to talk to about this because everyone I know also knows my ex husband and I don't want this to get back to him. I asked my sister for advice but she is driving me crazy, so I started googling in hope of some answers. Any advice is appreciated, thank you very much smile
Malina, I would suggest that you accept his offer of a date. Meet him in a public place (a restaurant for dinner, perhaps.) Meet him there. Make arrangements to get yourself there and get yourself home. Don't allow him to accompany you home. That's a safe first date.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

J
J
So, Malina: Did you go on the date?

Can you give us the scoop? wink

"When you love someone, all your saved up wishes start coming out."
Elizabeth Bowen

(Changed my profile name, as it was appearing in Google searches. Yikes!)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation