OK, this is a switch. I have heard many a man ask "what do I talk about? How do I hold a conversation with a prety gril with out babbling like an idiot?" Women usually do most of the talking.<P>So here is my advice that I have given to all those men.<P>Step one. Ask questions. Some good starter questions involve where you are or other points about the immedate surronding. "How's the food? Have you ever tried the shrimp here? Boy, this neighborhood has change; do you remember the little store that was over there?" Simple stuff like that. If that goes no where or if you have a hard time thinking of something like that try these. "I you could live anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?" Or maybe "If you could travel in time, what period would you like to live in and why?" People usually like to talk about themselves. I know you have been married a long time and you probably know all his favorite stories about his days as a bachlor, but ask him about one of your favorite stories and really listen to the tale.<P>Step two. Listen to what he says. Look for clues about what to ask about next. Nouns are good clues: people, places and things. You can ask him "I wonder where your friend is now and do you ever think about him much? What was it like in Calafornia? How long did you have that bike?" What ever he happens to mention when he answers you previous questions. This takes close attention to what he is saying and looking for any extra information that does not relate directly to question asked. It's these little clues that let you know what he wants to talk about. And he may not even know that he wants to talk about it but he subconscious will direct him to the path of what he wants to say. For men this is how we practice becoming a good listener.<P>Step 3. If you are just asking questions and he answers it quickly becomes an interogation and not a conversation. You need to jump in and say something about yourself as well. When you do, use agreement statements or "me too" type responses. "I used to have that album as well. I think I wore it out listening to it so much the first wek I had it." You need to emphisise the things you have in common. NEVER SAY NEGATIVE STATEMENTS. "This food is not as good as it used to be." Big no-no. It makes you look like a negative person or a fault finder. So when he says "I can't wait till football season gets here." do not go into "I never cared for football" say something like "I know how you have always enjoyed the games." If you can not make an agreement statement, make a simple "I understand" statement. (If yo go to counseling sessions, you'll notice the counselor saying these now [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] ) Now for example he is running down some political candidate it may seem like a "me too" to also say the bum stinks. But that is a negative. It is better to agree that the other candidate does have better ideas on the issues. See, positive and "me too".<P>In summary:<BR>Ask questions. Listen for clues for what he wants to talk about. Make "me too" statements and avoid negative statements.<P>Note: this is how guys talk to girls (if they want to be with her and know how to hold a conversation) so I don't know how this works from a female perspective. I hope it helps.