Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
Wondering if anyone has come across any good sermons/books on the sigfincance spritiual lessons to be learned from Betrayal Experince.

I feel there is much to be learned from Christ Passion/Agony--Betrayal in the garden/Judas.

Betrayal issues/experinces are hard enough to deal with and recover from. I believe there is a good reason/explanation why this lesson has been given to many of us and vital to our own spiritual growth.

Seems there are those in every circle of life connections network, that have the same charactertics/chemistry make up profile of a typical Judas.

Betrayal issues apply to a spouse, family member, parent, business associate, clergy member,close friend, etc....

I feel I need to grasp and gain greater understanding to see the bigger picture.

The betrayal issues in my opinion goes way beyond the "needs fullfillment".

E
E
Hi Mayflower,

I have been looking for the same type of book. Nothing I have come across really comes close, and I really think this is an issue that should be addressed as part of the healing process for any BS. The betrayal of an A is so multi faceted, and affects so many areas of the BS's recovery.

I suppose you could also look to the Old Testament stories of David as he lived in hiding from his own son, or Solomon's betrayal of God by idol worship. Psalms is filled with thoughts on betrayal, too.

Prayers & Best Wishes!

L
L
Lewis Smedes has Christian books on forgiveness, shame, guilt that are excellent for both the WS & BS.

Gary Chapman--Hope For the Separated.

Sally & Jim Conway--Men in Midlife Crisis, Women in Midlife Crisis, Your Husband's Midlife Crisis (I liked the last one best).

J
J
A good Christian friend of mine (whose husband was counseling my FWW and I before he passed away after two sessions)gave me a book that addressed this very issue. The name of it is "Forgive and Love Again". I forget the author's name but this book helped me out a great deal. Sure wish that our good old friend hadn't been so sick. We needed more counseling and he was a wonderful man who helped many people. He was almost a Dr. Phil tell it like it is person.

J
J
Mayflower,

I forgot one other piece of info I was going to write. We had a sermon on trials in church yesterday. The preacher talked in depth about all of the physical and emotional trials that Jesus and the apostle Paul had faced throughout their lives. There were such terrible trials they had to endure but they stood strong. He talked about how each of us have our own trials to bear and how standing strong to endure them brings forth many benefits for this life and our next one. He ended the lesson by saying that none of us today will ever experience the severity of trials that Christ and Paul faced. If they can bear their trials, we can bear our own.

M
OP Offline
M
Hi Everyone!

Thanks to everyone answering so soon and super recommedations, feedback and sharing! I having been searching websites on betrayal and Christ Betrayal found almost zip.

Just got back from my mission at the Christian bookstore this afternoon and surprizingly couldn't really find to much on the subject on Christ/ BETRAYAL meaning.

The store clerk and I checked high and low and found actually nothing specfically under such heading. She thought perhaps it was to sensitive of a subject matter and suggested I visit a theological seminary website and see if I could find something there. Interesting!!!!

We did manage to locate couple of books written by John Mac Arthur that touched briefly on the subject matter.

One book was called the "Murder of Christ" which I read through in the section about his personal Agony in the garden and Judas. The second book of his is written on the personality of the 12 apostles.

The mind set and personality profile of Judas himself was extremely mind blowing. I was absolutely awestruck by his personality, profile.

It is true no-of us will ever understand the impossible depths of Christ agony for all our human betrayals placed on him and wrath he endured.

It was more interesting to read Christ super steadfast response still treated Judas with kindness and as a true friend but knew that Judas was untrue friend. A great opporuntity and to admire how supernatural our Savior really is and how he can help us become stronger.

Interesting to learn that Peter Betrayal was result in over confindance and PRIDE.

Another interesting note that in his introduction he notes James as the apostle of passion, John as the apostle of love and Judas Iscariot as the traitor. Very interesting to read about Judas and his personality profile.

I had to make a few choices and purchased Love Must be Tough/Talk Straight and How to Handle Adversity by Charles Stanley. Excellent book I just couldn't put it down as it really spoke to my heart and led to purchase it. Refreshing and encouraging to read that we are all going through this adverstiy to increase our spritiual growth to become stronger. Yes, yes, Yes!

I just knew there was alot more behind the betrayal. I personally have never heard good teaching on the subject. I feel so much more comforted that our Lord truly understands us, experinced this painful path when a loved turns a heel.

I need to digest what I read and will be back to pick up these two books on my next trip.

Seems I am on a new mission of understanding, and growth. God is doing something to my heart blessings to everyone.

I still would appreciate feedback. Collaboration efforts certainly help. These human emotions negative and positive that accompany the adultery/betrayal are something else which can lead one really way off course or upwards,onwards.

Looking forward to everyone's search.... We are here for a reason, to understand and grow. Pity pored me out like a puddle of water on the pavement and now sorrow is lifting my heart back to the heaven back to my Savior because he loves us and understands us so deeply.

Amazing that the breaking process goes way beyond the WS---the connection of the adutlery/betrayal process I feel needs to be understood. Time for me to dig deeper!!!

Blessings to everyone!

K
K
Dear mayflower,

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Betrayal issues apply to a spouse, family member, parent, business associate, clergy member,close friend, etc.... </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">A book that you would love and find so much help in, is a book written by Phillip Yancey titled "What's so amazing about grace? " It is wonderful and enlightening.
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">"Grace does not excuse sin,says Yancey,but it treasures the sinner." [/QUOTE]
I hope you can find it and that you enjoy it.kk

J
J
I have not read any books that apply directly, but I have heard a sermon that suggested betrayal tends to make the betrayed more sensitive to others, and I can see that. I did pray about things extensively, especially when I was struggling to forgive my wife, and every time I looked at her betrayal from a new perspective, God showed me haow I had done the exact same thing to Him. I now have a much better understanding of all those Old Testament passages where idolatry and adultery are linked.

M
OP Offline
M
Hi Everyone again!

I have been reflecting what everyone has said so far, thinking deeply and will most definately seek out the good reading materials to increase my understanding, and faith.

I spent last night reading through Charles Stanley book on "How To Handle Adversity" the wisdom is powerfully awesome!

One of the parts that struck me to the core and not sure if anyone else is struggling today.

Here are few excerpts on Dr. Charles Stanley book : Is the Instant Justice Factor.

We want justice now--- (I know I do) and where is God through all of this? ( I know I am in that wondering fog.)

I became aware that" the murder of Son of God has been yet to be avenged. The most hedious crime in the history of all of mankind has yet to come to trial. " "

"If God has chosen to delay justice for that case, who are we to demand our case takes precedent?"

"Those who suffer unjustly will not only have their case avenged by God, they will inherit a blessing as well, James refers this to as the "crown of life".

No one knows exactly what this will be. But the context of these verses seem to indicate that what ever it is it will more than make up for the injustice we have suffered."

"Instructions for Delayed Justice"

Christ gives us our assignment until then:

1) To remain faithful until he returns, not to abandon our hope/ faith because he is already in TUNE with our suffering/needs/situation.

2) To pray for justice; look expectanly for the judge to return.

3) Not to take matters into our own hands, is to remain faithful until his return.

BY FAITHFULNESS, HE MEANS SIMPLY DOING ALL WE KNOW TO DO WHILE TRUSTING HIM WITH EVERYTHING ELSE. ( So what does that mean ? )

For some it means picking up the pieces of a shattered marriage and rebuilding from the inside out.

For others it means starting a new career.

For some it may be repenting of doubt and anger towards God. After being dealt a devastating blow emotionally or even phyiscally.

At that point you could not reconcile the conflict of such injustice with the existence of a loving GOD. And might have walked away from GOD.

Faithfulness for some might mean God is trying to bring you back to himself.

Faithfulness for some might mean re-establishing your faith in God, confessing your doubt,and learning all over again to walk in faith.

Faithfulness for some might mean releasing years of bitterness and vengence that have been stored up on the inside.

Perhaps you lie in bed at night having an imaginery conversation with your ex-wife. Or daydream at getting back at your boss. Or scheme up ways to embrass those who have treated you injustly.

Do we realise that by allowing such things to continue, you are in effect saying to God, " I don't trust You, to bring about justice in this mater. You need my help?"

GOD DOES NOT NEED YOUR HELP. HE HAS APPOINTED CHRIST TO JUDGE THE WICKED AND DEFEND THE INNOCENT. If you store up hatred and animosity towards those who have hurt you, the injury is only deepened. Those around you suffer,for bitterness is like poison. It harms everything it touches.

There is no use in allowing persons who have harmed you to harm you further. Release all that anger to the Lord.

Tell Him right now that you recongnize Him as your judge and avenger.

Ask Him to show you how to put the pieces of your life back together. It won't happen over night. But he is faithful.

And all HE requires of you is that you remain faithful as well, knowing that HE will bring about justice for His elect...

Next Chapter:
"ADVANCING THROUGH ADVERSITY"

God uses adversity in the lives of HIS children, Adversity, however, is not simply a tool. It is God's most effective tool for the advancement of our spiritual lives.

The circumstances and events that we see as setbacks are often times the very things that launch us into periods of intense spiritual growth.

The reason so many of struggle so INTENSELY with adversity is that we have yet to adopt God's perspective and priorties.

Sometimes that "Good" is the lesson or depth of character developed as a result of adverity.

From God's perspective, it is good if we learn to be patient. It is good if we learn to love those who are unattrative.

GOD VALUES CHARACTER FAR MORE THAN WEALTH, PROMINENCE, HEALTH, OR MANY OF THE OTHER THINGS WE HOLD DEAR.

Happiness, the way God defines it, "is a state of well being that reaches deep into the soul of a man or woman."

The happiness God does want us to be happy, but not the happiness advocated by the world. His desire for our happiness is expressed by His desire for us to "grow up" spritually.

To remain spiritually immature is to run risk of abandoning the faith. To adopt a worldview or life philosophy other than God's is to embrace a lie. No one has ever been "happy" for very long embracing a lie.

Therefore, spiritual growth is imperative from God's point of view not only for our spiritual well being, but for our general happiness as well.

Continual spritual growth, then, is the means by which God keeps us in tune with His purpose for our lives.

Since adversity is God's most effective tool, insofar as spiritual growth is concerned, the degree to which we desire to grow spiritually corresponds to our ability to handle adversity successfully.

When we allow God to shape our priorties, adversity takes on a whole new meaning.

We see it as an intergal part of what God is doing in our lives.

We begin to understand that adversity is sometimes a means to greater joy and peace.

We don't panic and assume God has forgotten us.Rather we can rejoice? Why?

Because God is in the process of bring about another good in our lives.

Spiritual men and women emerge from adverstiy excited about what God has taught them.

Carnal men and women often emerge bitter and angry with God for what He" put them through"
They are quick to point out that "all things don't work for the good," conveniently ignoring the second half of the verse.

Truth is, GOD wants to use adversity you are facing right now to advance your spiritual growth. God could erase all adversity from our lives with just a word.

Experince tells us all He has chosen not to do that. Far more important than our ease, comfort and pleasure is our spritual growth.

God has us in school. He is in the process of teaching us about HIMSELF: HIS faithfulness, His goodness, His compassion, and His holiness.

Adversity 101 is not our favorite class. But essential if we are to"grow up" in the Lord.

Not only does adversity lead to spritual maturity in this life, it purchases for us a crown of life in the next. God understands the trauma of dealing with adversity.

He has not overlooked the sacrifices we are forced to make when adversity comes our way.

He has provided a special reward for those" perserve under trial".

This reward is reserved for those who understand that God was up to something, that the adversity they faced was the means by which something good would come about in their lives.

Are you perserving? Are you enduring? Or are you resisting? Are you mad at God for what He is doing? My friend God wants to advance you through the use of adversity. He wants us to grow up and mature you to the point that your character is a mirror image of Christ's.

That us His goal for you. And adversity is the means by which He will accomplish it.

Why not trust Him? It is futile to resist.

Your sorrow will be only magnified, for there is nothing worse than a life filled with adversity from which nothing good ever comes.

Why not tell the Lord," Lord, I don't like it, but by faith I rejoucie that You are up to something good in my life". Eventually you will begine to see the "good". You will begin to experince peace.

You will begin to experince peace. You will begin to advance through your adversity.

Next Chapter: ATTENTION PLEASE

God allows adversity into our lives is to get our attention.

It is easy to get so caught up in our own activities, busy schedules that we lose our sight of God.

When we focus on our goals, careers, family, and other personal concerns, we neglect to give God the proper priority in our lives. The result is that we lose our spiritual sensitivity.

The process of becoming spiritually insenitive is not something we are usually aware of.

It slips on us slowly."

This book and spiritual insight has really been 4 thumbs up. I hope others will be encouraged as I have been. Time to read on the rest of the book and grow, as the subject of adversity is something I have needed to get a good grip on.

The future is looking much brighter.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 405 guests, and 98 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation