Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Hi everyone. Well, after reading all of the excellent responses (with great thanks to everyone) I think that I have figured out that my husband is going to play "hardball" on the NC issue and ultimately, I am going to have to stand up for myself. I'm not used to doing that.

I'm scared to do it.

However, I have everything in place for Plan B--all of my bills are paid, my mortgage organized so that I can pay it etc. (I haven't purchased any Christmas presents yet though! Yikes....)

I am fairly calm and rational so I am ready for him to refuse to leave the band where she plays once in a while. This is his favorite band, his favorite type of music. He will not leave it without a fight.

So...(taking a huge breath as I type this) how do I approach this so that I am not manipulated etc. somehow. I think that I should calmly state my reasons for wanting this NC (i.e. I am anxious when he is even around her and I can't seem to heal. That's the bottom line.

It has been a year and a bit and in some ways I am no further ahead than in October of 2003. I feel a bit more secure, I think that he has defogged to a certain extent and is remorseful for what he has done BUT he doesn't realize/recognize the jeopardy that contact might bring with it. He believes that he can just be an acquaintance.

I can't do that. I can't bear it.

It's going to be hard. But, as redhat said, what's stopping me from kicking him to the curb? I am pretty, educated, have a good personality, great job, can provide for my family and have some money left over and people tell me that I would be a terrific catch for a lucky and deserving guy.

I don't want to play second fiddle to a woman who is married to someone else. Even if she is no longer involved with my husband, him being around her causes me a lot of pain/obsessing etc.

I'm tired of that.

How do I present this NC boundary to my H yet again and MEAN it? He always talked me out of it before (with assurances etc.) but as I said, we haven't moved forward in our relationship to the degree that I think we could have if Contact was over.

Sorry for the long and rambling post. I feel scared but prepared for the worst. I know that I will feel awful if he chooses the band over me and I'm not sure that I could take that rejection (similar feelings to the post-A) again.

Thanks everyone.

Sandy

P
P
Try constructing a word picture for your H.

Did you read the "Dear Daddy" post?

Pep

B
B
I guess you have to decide what your bottom line is. My WH could never "get" the NC thing. I decided that I could not continue living like that. He is out of my life. Now they may have broken up, but I don't care anymore.

Your husband is comfortable with contact with his ex-lover, and knows that you are not. That should be the end of the band - part of the consequences of his crossing the line.

S
OP Offline
S
"Your husband is comfortable with contact with his ex-lover, and knows that you are not. That should be the end of the band - part of the consequences of his crossing the line."

Pep and believer,
You are right. He said that I am more important than any band. I will be calm and reiterate my position--rather than ranting and raving etc. my approach will be quiet and steady. I feel like all of the fight is out of me.

Part of me is really ready to hear the truth--I am tired of all of the thinking/planning/trying.

If he doesn't GET IT by now, then I am prepared to ask him to leave.

I have watched his actions and they tell me that his enjoyment overrides my peace of mind. I would NEVER do that to him.

I sense some very interesting days ahead.

Thanks everyone,
Sandy

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ardent Center, Lost@1969, Jmoor9090, Confused1980, Bibbyryan860
71,843 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation